Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

With Tony licensing songs rights someone needs to keep an eye on Cult of Personality rights :)

In this fantasy booking scenario, I'd die if Punk walked into AEW with AFI's "Miseria Cantare"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In this fantasy booking scenario, I'd die if Punk walked into AEW with AFI's "Miseria Cantare"

Plus fcuking one. Crackin entrance theme, would have suited his SES gimmick so well.

Id also prefer if he had a new song as his theme that he hasnt previously used. Separate his run in WWE from an AEW one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,392 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So really good matches Dark Elevation

Alex Gracia vs. Thunder Rosa I like Alex Gracia and Thunder now starting a feud with Diamante this one could be top class.

Kazarian vs Limelight was good.

Interesting that The Dark Order came out with Tay & Shida for their tag team match. Keeping the Tay, Anna story going without Anna.

Jungle Boy and Jack Evans was really good, Riddle should watch Evans & Angelico to learn how to do a good stoner gimmick.

Private Party vs. Bear Country top class and The Bear Country video package before the match was brilliant to get to see the real guys and their story.

Scorpio Sky vs. Mike Sydal very nice main event.

Shout out to Milk Chocolate great Tag Team name.

Also Dasha is great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm just watching Elevation now. Orange Cassidy always pops me - I know he's hardly everyone's cup of tea, but the way he makes that gimmick work just makes me laugh all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm just watching Elevation now. Orange Cassidy always pops me - I know he's hardly everyone's cup of tea, but the way he makes that gimmick work just makes me laugh all the time.

That new entrance theme with such a great tune

Love it

• Advertisement

Yea, I'm a Pixies fan for a very long time.

How happy does Billy Gunn look to be out there performing with his kids? He's one of the few wrestlers I've met in person, I was not prepared for just how enormous he is :D

I'll have to go back soon and find that Billy Gunn thread and have a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Pixies tune is a great song, not sure it fits but i'll take any excuse to hear it. The tron video though:
    giphy.gif

Yea, I'm a Pixies fan for a very long time.

How happy does Billy Gunn look to be out there performing with his kids? He's one of the few wrestlers I've met in person, I was not prepared for just how enormous he is :D

Hes gotten bigger as he got older too.

I recently seen Adam Rose recently.... dear god hes a big fella now.

Gunn seems real happy, so good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know I shouldn't say to edit Where is my Mind, but if they're going to use it, they need to start a bit into the song instead of the quiet intro.

How to tell which match took place before and after Dynamite: John silver came out for 5 and 10 but not Tay and Shida.

• Advertisement

Just watching Elevation at the moment

Commentary of Paul Wight and Tony Schiavone is getting better by the week, I feel like they are loosening up and feels some what like the chemistry between Taz and Excalibur which I love

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Seeing NXT moving to Tuesday nights makes me think. What would things have been like if AEW had been competing with Raw or Smackdown? Would they still have done well for themselves or would WWE have destroyed them in the ratings.?

I'd like to think they could still hold their own against even the main shows, hell they might even be able to steal some of their viewership but the main shows are where the competition really is.

Still, giving AEW Wednesday without competing with NXT may very well be what they need to grow even further. Fans won't have to choose between the two and they could become hooked on AEW as well.

Feel sorry for Impact Wrestling though because it means they will have to compete with NXT.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Seeing NXT moving to Tuesday nights makes me think. What would things have been like if AEW had been competing with Raw or Smackdown? Would they still have done well for themselves or would WWE have destroyed them in the ratings.?

I'd like to think they could still hold their own against even the main shows, hell they might even be able to steal some of their viewership but the main shows are where the competition really is.

Still, giving AEW Wednesday without competing with NXT may very well be what they need to grow even further. Fans won't have to choose between the two and they could become hooked on AEW as well.

Feel sorry for Impact Wrestling though because it means they will have to compete with NXT.

Id love them to kick Raws ass.

However they may be two different audiences. One is hardcore wrestling fans mostly, the other are a mix of kids, hardcore fans, casual fans....

Impact have moved to Thursday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Headshot wrote: »
    Just watching Elevation at the moment

Commentary of Paul Wight and Tony Schiavone is getting better by the week, I feel like they are loosening up and feels some what like the chemistry between Taz and Excalibur which I love
    Yeah I think so too, although PW did say something that I thought was odd, "Leyla is selling that arm".. do commentators actually say "sell"?

I think with Taz, Excalibur and Paul White, they're savvy enough to know that there's enough of their audience that is "smartened up" and that will naturally respond positively (almost subconsciously) to hearing behind the scenes lingo like "selling that arm" they understand. JR And Shivone are more "traditional" and might see that as a step too far. My only minor criticism is that Taz, Excalibur and Anthony are spending a lot of time goofing and making each other break at the expense of what's happening in the ring which is what they're there to do first and foremost.

Watching Dark atm, just saw the team of Big Swole, Red Velvet and Kilynn King going up against some up and comers and there's definitely still a lot of work to be done there to keep the pace and flow going, but I think all 3 have a decent future ahead (King's match with Ryo Mizunami on Elevation was fun). Jade Cargill arrives out to taunt Velvet - my word what a specimen of humanity! I'm looking forward to seeing their women's division build some momentum after the massive impact that Thunder Rosa and Britt Baker's match had.

I'm looking forward to seeing their women's division build some momentum after the massive impact that Thunder Rosa and Britt Baker's match had.

The problem is up until Rosa v Baker, they hadnt built much. Lots of potential but no major growth.

Rosa v Baker is their "Takeover Brooklyn" moment and they need to capitalize.

Jade is a star how shes presented but shes very VERY green. If they can hide her weakness while she develops she can be big.

And while AEW have many talented women, they need to build on the success of Baker Rosa. The need someone other than those to to step up and be presented like a star, I dunno if anyone's really ready to step up yet.

I always felt Tay or Big Swole could be big if they pushed them harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

beakerjoe wrote: »
    The problem is up until Rosa v Baker, they hadnt built much. Lots of potential but no major growth.

Rosa v Baker is their "Takeover Brooklyn" moment and they need to capitalize.

Jade is a star how shes presented but shes very VERY green. If they can hide her weakness while she develops she can be big.

And while AEW have many talented women, they need to build on the success of Baker Rosa. The need someone other than those to to step up and be presented like a star, I dunno if anyone's really ready to step up yet.

I always felt Tay or Big Swole could be big if they pushed them harder.

I liked the bit with Diamante and Rosa on Elevation, she's ready to step up I think.

I liked the bit with Diamante and Rosa on Elevation, she's ready to step up I think.

Havent seen it yet myself, but shes got heaps of potential.

Yea, they've been plugging away with Swole and Tay and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them - Tay had a tag match with Shida on Elevation and looked decent. In terms of having someone step up, it looks like Nyla Rose and Leyla Hirsch are also getting the rub to go for bigger things whilst they let Velvet and Cargill do their thing away from the belt contention. They've done well in bringing in some of the Japanese ladies to show off a different style and to get some experience into the locker-room. It's still not up to the NXT Ladies division's very high standards, but the improvements are happening. I've not watched a lot of Joshi matches so I really enjoyed seeing something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The TJPW and Independent Joshi crew have been very good but if they could get a hold of some of the STARDOM roster sometime it would be great, they are a step above what's been seen so far in terms of in-ring, presentation etc.

It's probably quite unlikely anytime soon but you never know with Bushiroad owning STARDOM now. If any man can get it done it's surely TK.

Mayu, Utami, Momo Watanabe or any of DDM on Dynamite would be unreal, they're some of the best in the world male or female.

The fact you talked about the the women and didn't mention Shida shows how badly they book the women.
    As said, up until Britt/Rosa they were just lower card matches, not much better than how WWE used to book the women.
    Injuries and the pandemic affected things but why it took Thunder Rosa coming to AEW to have people talk about the division should be looked at

With most fans only watching two hours a week it's hard to build everything from scratch to where they are now in 18 months. The men and tag was always going to take the lead especially when they lost a lot of the international female talent due to the pandemic.

A lot/most of the women on the roster are green as grass and they needed ring time which was badly affected over the last year. When one of there top talent Anna Jay has about 75 matches to her that name is just crazy.

Britt couldn't wrestle her way out of a paper bag when AEW started 18 months ago.

Putting on women's matches where the talent can't wrestle just hurts the project that's why we saw the same few women over the last year as they were mostly the ones who could put on matches and then it's hard to progress the division.

I think QT is doing a lot of work with the women and the green guys at his place.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The fact you talked about the the women and didn't mention Shida shows how badly they book the women.
    As said, up until Britt/Rosa they were just lower card matches, not much better than how WWE used to book the women.
    Injuries and the pandemic affected things but why it took Thunder Rosa coming to AEW to have people talk about the division should be looked at

Shida is a great in ring wrestler, but she has been forgettable in terms of character and storylines.

Rosa v Baker has been the break out moment they needed, now they have to follow it up.

I believe Sasha v Bayley wa sthe big moment for WWE way back when and the delivered, but they had Asuka just waiting to be elevated right after. She was booked strong. Shida could easily be pushed, but she needs some character development and some stronger focus.

if its me booking, you put Shida with Rosa for the title, have Rosa win and turn Shida post match.

How much more interesting would it be if Asuka was in AEW? :D

I loved her in NXT, booked mostly as an unbeatable bad ass and she had the talent to make you believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

She'd be the queen of AEW's women's division. WWE really messed her up. It's a joke how she was booked on the main roster. She'd easily be a star in AEW.

She'd be the queen of AEW's women's division. WWE really messed her up. It's a joke how she was booked on the main roster. She'd easily be a star in AEW.

Shes a star in WWE , to be fair they didnt completely mishandle her, but she could be so, SO much more than what she is.

Like the blueprint for her getting over was nothing crazy, and she proved in NXT shes capable of getting over.... just replicate it on the main roster..... they tried to get her over they just failed miserably.

But sure, most WWE stars suffer from being mishandled to some degree. The whole organization hamstrings its stars in some many ways no matter how much it pushes them.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Shes a star in WWE , to be fair they didnt completely mishandle her, but she could be so, SO much more than what she is.

Like the blueprint for her getting over was nothing crazy, and she proved in NXT shes capable of getting over.... just replicate it on the main roster..... they tried to get her over they just failed miserably.

But sure, most WWE stars suffer from being mishandled to some degree. The whole organization hamstrings its stars in some many ways no matter how much it pushes them.

Ah, I remember that name for Sasha.

Asuka singles title reigns on the main roster totals nearly 400 days and I would struggle to name anything she's done in that time. True my memory's pretty bad in general, but I would remember her time as a tag champion better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I never bought the "Asuka is mishandled." narrative.

This reign has been terrible and people always point to incidents like Charlotte ending her undefeated streak but Asuka is arguably the most decorated woman in WWE history. She has achieved everything...

- 2 and a half years undefeated.
    - NXT champion.
    - Raw champion.
    - Smackdown champion.
    - Tag team champion.
    - Rumble winner.
    - MITB winner.

She tapped Becky out clean at the zenith of her popularity. She tapped Charlotte out. She beat both of them in a triple threat at TLC. The last year was her worst period and she's still booked as champion.

That she achieved all that between the Becky's unprecedented run and Charlotte's "Golden Girl" status is a sign of how highly they regard her, in my opinion.

Advertisement