Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geoff Marshall / All The Stations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Had actually recommended to them the Line walkway by the old Blackrock Station. Delighted they explored the area! And even our (beloved.. Hmmm) Bus Eireann routes 202 and 215 got a mention :P

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paddar

I could literally watch hours of this stuff. Was nice to see the Waterford-Limerick line too!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Went back to Tipp station in todays video - they'll have quite significant distorted the stats for the line with those trips!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The latest one includes a interview with the voice of Irish Rail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Careful, you might make Barry Kenny jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It's actually really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

1 thing I never copped is that the voice on train is different as Bearla to as Gaeilge. Seems unfair to the Irish language guy, is his voice not good enough in English?

Really enjoying series, Ireland is a bit of a ride to be fair, especially when the sun shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Great to put a face to the Irish Rail announcer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Great series and it makes IE look so good.

Shame they didn't show more of Waterford station with the signal tower thing and the cliffs etc. also the waterford to limerick line didn't come across as very good. Enjoying everything else however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Pure class this series and today we see the Mind the Gap man. Very enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Interesting to hear them say they sometimes get hassle from rail staff, re filming in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Vicki should have gone to Cahir on her trip, beautiful castle and river walk. Tipp Town is literally the biggest kip on the island .

I'm looking forward to their Nenagh, Roscrea branch line experience.

Geoff especially is going to love that experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Vicki should have gone to Cahir on her trip, beautiful castle and river walk. Tipp Town is literally the biggest kip on the island .

I'm looking forward to their Nenagh, Roscrea branch line experience.

Geoff especially is going to love that experience.

Yeah, of all the places on that line Tipperary was probably the worst place to visit. I was half afraid she would have gotten assaulted there.

Also since when do they offer premier class on the Waterford to Dublin line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Did they get caught out by the Waterford & Suir Valley train not having a bike rack of some sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Roscrea totally missed out. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Seconded. Cahir is a beautiful town and would have been a great showcase town for that line.

I think they put too much stock in the IALWTT song and felt they had to explore Tipperary. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Quite impressed at how well the rail network comes across in the videos.

Lol. Did you watch episode.7. - Bridgetown, the Barrow Bridge and Tramore.

Off topic; The beautiful station at Tramore used to belong to Tramore Fáilte who virtually went bust over the farcical "Celtworld" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtworld visitor project and now lies derelict while the tourist office is now in a tiny building across the road which was closed on the occasion of Geoff's visit.

Episode.10. on the Nenagh branch is a laugh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Lol. Did you watch episode.7. - Bridgetown, the Barrow Bridge and Tramore.

Off topic; The beautiful station at Tramore used to belong to Tramore Fáilte who virtually went bust over the farcical "Celtworld" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtworld visitor project and now lies derelict while the tourist office is now in a tiny building across the road which was closed on the occasion of Geoff's visit.

Episode.10. on the Nenagh branch is a laugh too.

Unforgivable, really. Tramore Station has long been neglected, the line too is being eroded away, some of it is still salvageable. It would be a great asset today even, dare I say, as I cycle path.

Apparently tacky tourist tat is more important to "community leaders" down here. We don't have community leaders really. It's a joke.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tramore would be perfect for low cost light rail, which could also serve the airport if there's ever a serious suggestion of new services.

Efforts should be put in to pushing for practical reuse of old lines (although the Tramore line isn't just sitting there anymore obviously) ahead of pie in the sky projects. Cork and Limerick also have former trackbeds and extant disused lines where light rail would make sense

However - Celtworld wasn't tacky tourist tat. It suffered from being too dear to go to, no internet / TripAdvisor to guide people to it and the awful roads to Waterford then making it an impractical school tour destination. The idea is not terrible, the location for the time was. It probably wasn't given long enough to try make it work.

If you want misguided tourist attractions, the Baileys visitor centre at Leopardstown racecourse wins outright. Even with the Luas now it's still an awful location for a Dublin attraction - but that was nearly a decade away when it opened.

• Advertisement

I remember Celtworld. Didn't expect it to have its down Wiki page.

Nice to see the Hells Kitchen collection is still intact and maintained even if the pub still isn't trading as far as I know (was certainly no spirits on the optics for instance)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Geoff looks bored already and wants to get home. Ireland is like a longer visit to Wales. The more I see, the more Irish railways looks like it is......Dead from the neck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Geoff looks bored already and wants to get home. Ireland is like a longer visit to Wales. The more I see, the more Irish railways looks like it is......Dead from the neck up.

He certainly doesn’t seem to have the same enthusiasm as he did during a lot of the previous all the stations, suppose he has a greater knowledge of the network on his end and is more involved with it. Plus I mean realistically Ireland’s network isn’t exactly exciting even to someone seeing it for the first time. The fleet is a lot more uniform

I'd guess there's a difference between something he's likely wanted to do forever (the UK one) and something that was just suggested enough times they decided to do it. From the Instagram stuff I get the feeling he quite enjoyed doing the Luas which would probably be a bit closer to his usual Underground connected stuff.

Also, the awkward stations all have at least 2 services each way 5 days a week and we've no parliamentary services, or good figures for least used - the rail census is not valid for extrapolating that - so that robs some of the intrigue. There's been no country walks between stations, no one train a week nightmares to visit, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Still enjoying the series but I spotted this on the wall of a pub during the Galway visit! The curse of being a pedant. :D

SPAINISH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I see by their twitter/instagram that they're now in Norn Iron. I think it's interesting that when they were in Wales and Scotland the stations had dual language signs and (was it Wales only?) dual language announcements. Not so for the North...

So Roscrea and Tara Street remain shunned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Use to watch his underground & london train videos, were interesting but talk about obsessed

Advertisement