Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millionaire Raffle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

So there is no checking facility? you have to wade through the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Taylor365 wrote: »
    So there is no checking facility? you have to wade through the results?

Put the number in here

https://www.lottery.ie/draw-games/results/check?game=millionaire-raffle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jonny one

I'm amazed that over 400k of these things were sold, they really remind me of the Celtic tiger throwing change in the bin arrogance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Two tickets here and got sweet FA. I've bought tickets for this for the last number of years and drawn a blank each time. It's a pure waste of money but it's the hope that gets ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jonny one wrote: »
    I'm amazed that over 400k of these things were sold, they really remind me of the Celtic tiger throwing change in the bin arrogance

Is it any worse than pissing it up against the wall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

kippy wrote: »
    Is it any worse than pissing it up against the wall?
    Or doing something productive with it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Or doing something productive with it maybe?

It's nice to dream the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

bought two.
    one for myself
    one as a gift

I won nothing
    The person I gifted it to won €500....the absolute GOWL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I got one and didn't win. At least out of the people in this thread there seems to be more money won from it than spent on tickets. Therefore I conclude that being a boardsie pushes the odds in one's favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

I got one for my grandmother and she remembered to check it when collecting her pension today and she won €500.

She was absolutely thrilled, I don't think she realised that the minimum prize was €500 so when they told her in the Post Office she was a winner she thought she had only won a few euro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jonny one wrote: »

€25 on payday is worth the chance, even if, as always, I won SFA.

I'll never give out to anyone doing the lotto. It's only a few euro and could turn into millions (yes, chances, etc, blah blah). And yeah, maybe you'd have 10s of thousands spent over your life on them, but still worth it on the off chance that I'd never have to work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

I'll never give out to anyone doing the lotto. It's only a few euro and could turn into millions (yes, chances, etc, blah blah). And yeah, maybe you'd have 10s of thousands spent over your life on them, but still worth it on the off chance that I'd never have to work again.

Yeah but there is literally 1000’s of people paying up 100’s per week, particularly older people. I played with 2 tickets and got one as a gift, received nothing. I don’t mind but I worked in a newsagent before and it’s shocking to see altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

skinny90 wrote: »
    Yeah but there is literally 1000’s of people paying up 100’s per week, particularly older people. I played with 2 tickets and got one as a gift, received nothing. I don’t mind but I worked in a newsagent before and it’s shocking to see altogether

Meh, as long as it's not affecting their lives, more power to them. If I had a few hundred disposable every week, I'd probably horse 50 or so on the lotto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Problem is this isn't the 'lotto', this is/was a specific raffle were talking about, one at 25 notes a pop.

The other problem is there was only one (singular) prize whereby you could attempt to never work again, all the rest were mostly smallish prizes. Factoring in ticket prize, this is 12.5m/1 (per euro) chance of 1m jackpot.

And finally in terms of 'chance' or chances, you could play an alternative (actual lotto) that offers much, much, much, better chances, outright for that 1m prize 2.5m/1 (per euro), five times better. So any talk of 'chance' (in any real terms) are largely null.

i.e. Minimum x12 different chances per week (each with five times better odds), for a set 1m prize. With change left over for the SVDP charity bin, and coffee too, and all from that same 25 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

A 1 million winner out of 500000 tickets.
    Would the odds of winning it not be 499999/1, far better than the lotto or euromillions.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    A 1 million winner out of 500000 tickets.
    Would the odds of winning it not be 499999/1, far better than the lotto or euromillions.
    And what price was this raffle? I.e. €25notes for chance of €1m

There is a variant of Euromillions that offers a guaranteed 1m smackers, for an outlay of just 1.5 notes. Which is a x16.666 times better way to become a millionaire (per spend).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

And what price was this raffle? I.e. €25notes for chance of €1m

There is a variant of Euromillions that offers a guaranteed 1m smackers, for an outlay of just 1.5 notes. Which is a x16.666 times better way to become a millionaire (per spend).

What game, euromillions hotpicks? Not comparable to the raffle is it though, there's no guaranteed winner
    You've to match 5 numbers, Odds of 2,118,759/1.

If you had 17 five number hotpicks or 1 raffle ticket, which would give you the best odds of winning a million

batistuta9 wrote: »
    What game, euromillions hotpicks? Not comparable to the raffle is it though, there's no guaranteed winner
    You've to match 5 numbers, Odds of 2,118,759/1.

If you had 17 five number hotpicks or 1 raffle ticket, which would give you the best odds of winning a million

Yes, and it is largely comparable. You've no guarantee to win the raffle neither, sure someone will, but as the odds stand so high (at 500,000/1) (for 25e) any assurance it's your lucky ticket, it isn't 'practical' to hold such a distorted view.

In talking about odds and chances for equal spend t's:
    500,000/1 vs 124,632/1, to become ze millionaire.

To get even more practial (in terms of less, but still significant prizes) a EM-HPx4 is available for 1.00 on 33,000rtn. A 46,060 event, before applying P(+) factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Many people buy a ticket for this years millionaire raffle? I got one as a Christmas gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Got one a few weeks ago. 1 in 83 chance of winning. Pretty sure I won't win, but just in case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Aww fingers crossed and goodluck everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Meeoow wrote: »
    Got one a few weeks ago. 1 in 83 chance of winning. Pretty sure I won't win, but just in case...

Should have bought 83 then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Purgative wrote: »
    Should have bought 83 then :)

I probably still wouldn't win anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

James__10 wrote: »
    Many people buy a ticket for this years millionaire raffle? I got one as a Christmas gift!

Got one as an Xmas present. €500 last year, I’ve a good feeling about the €1m this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I went to buy one on Monday, all gone!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Have one. Pure rip off but anyhow! 500 quid would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The only real winner is the Canadian Teachers pension fund.

If all tickets are sold twelve and half million is raised.

6009 in prizes totalling 4,615,000.

Total profit for the pension fund is 7,885,000.

The Irish government sold away rights to free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Results at 10pm good luck to all who bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Presume if you win something they'll email you if you bought online? Reading back through the comments people were checking manually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Advertisement