Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fail quotas for driving test?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lalabanana

koppy wrote: »
    D amount of people that lose respect for an L plate is shocking..people still on d N plate driving on ure number, amazing how quick they forget how nerve wrecking learning to drive can be

100% agree with you there. I remember the first time I went out on the road in my (then) new car- my beautiful bright blue punto lol. Up until then, I had been driving in my driving instructors brand new car.

I was obviously nervous driving the car for the first time, especially with the stiff gearbox, I had to ram the bloody thing in and out of gear lol. Anyway, I hopped in the car with my dad and drove around my local village. I was on a road turning left, and I cut out. Tried to take off again, cut out again.. and again.. and again.. the nerves got the best of me.

I could see this man in my rear view waving his hands and screaming at me from his car. He started beeping me, and the more he raged the more nervous I got and couldn’t take off. My dad was about to get out of the car to tell him to cop on, when he ‘undertook’ me on the left side. It put me off driving for weeks- but glad I’m over that stage now!!

I think people are very impatient with learner drivers, and a lot of people think learner drivers are people who drive over the speed limit, dangerously, blaring songs like a boy racer. It’s quite annoying, because there are some of us who are just normal people trying to pass the test because we’re sick of getting the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Coulda woulda shoulda passed but you didn’t.

Does the girl wear the short skirt yes or no, is the tester grumpy Monday morning or in a rush to finish your test Friday evening, do results change at month end bla bla I heard the same stories twenty years ago

You failed but you’ve learned a lot so you didnt really fail ;)

Yes Wicklow is tricky but you’ll do better next time

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Coulda woulda shoulda passed but you didn’t.

Does the girl wear the short skirt yes or no, is the tester grumpy Monday morning or in a rush to finish your test Friday evening, do results change at month end bla bla I heard the same stories twenty years ago

You failed but you’ve learned a lot so you didnt really fail ;)

Yes Wicklow is tricky but you’ll do better next time

Never said I should have passed. I said IF I failed due to a quota- that would be unfair, as I thought I drove fine. But, maybe if the short skirt trick works- I’ll try that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The five younger people (25-35) I know who passed first time are competent drivers. They've made a mistake here and there as we all do but they know their place on the road, they know their cars and their own abilities. I wouldn't doubt their abilities in the wet, dark, fog etc.

The only people I'm not comfortable with are two people aged 50+ who are lacking a lot of basic awareness and the one person who failed, four times, who eventually passed. When I'm in the car with that person it feels like they aren't entirely in control, as if they're pressing a pedal and it just happens to work.

The one who failed had a lot to say about it each time. I had to correct them recently about how a driver on a slip road doesn't have right of way to just move over into traffic on a dual carriageway/motorway.

Also look at the amount of no shows at the driving test center, every second name doesn't show up because they failed their theory and that's the easy part.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The five younger people (25-35) I know who passed first time are competent drivers. They've made a mistake here and there as we all do but they know their place on the road, they know their cars and their own abilities. I wouldn't doubt their abilities in the wet, dark, fog etc.

The only people I'm not comfortable with are two people aged 50+ who are lacking a lot of basic awareness and the one person who failed, four times, who eventually passed. When I'm in the car with that person it feels like they aren't entirely in control, as if they're pressing a pedal and it just happens to work.

The one who failed had a lot to say about it each time. I had to correct them recently about how a driver on a slip road doesn't have right of way to just move over into traffic on a dual carriageway/motorway.

I think the earlier you learn to drive the better. Same as riding a bike. People seem to pick things up at a younger age, and the older you get the slower you become at learning new skills

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

No. A combination of poor driving, nerves, poor preparation or plain old bad driving is to blame.

People need to take more responsibility for themselves.

I’ve recently seen an increase in people contacting me a week before their test looking to “hire” the car for test without wanting to do any more preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No. A combination of poor driving, nerves, poor preparation or plain old bad driving is to blame.

People need to take more responsibility for themselves.

I’ve recently seen an increase in people contacting me a week before their test looking to “hire” the car for test without wanting to do any more preparation.

Great for business if they fail though as your services will be needed again along with car rental for test.....

Win for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I can’t see a quota system in something like this.

Sooner or later someone wouldn’t let it slip and there would be a serious uproar.

Plus, 50% fail rate sounds accurate when you drive abkut and see the standard of driving, I’d be thinking 50% woukjdnt pass any sort of test.

I’m 46, passed my test when I was 17 (first attempt). I’m applying for my BE in the new year and I’ll be honest in saying I will be nervous about the smalller stuff on the test rather than the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

koppy wrote: »
    You're English looks good aswell.

Your English looks good as well.

You're = You are English looks good aswell.
    Aswell isn't a word. It's "as well".

Great for business if they fail though as your services will be needed again along with car rental for test.....

Win for you.

Tbh mate that outlook is kinda short-sighted. A driving instructor benefits much more by people properly preparing, passing first time and spreading the word by way of recommendations. Trouble is, pupils often don’t give us much of a chance and we end up fire fighting.
    We’re there to train people to drive safely. If they do that, they should pass....if they control their nerves. More often than not we face the attitude that people simply want to pass the test, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

DaveyDave wrote: »

Also look at the amount of no shows at the driving test center, every second name doesn't show up because they failed their theory and that's the easy part.

You can't book your test until you do your 12 lessons and you can't do the lessons until you pass your theory test. No shows at the test center have nothing to do with failing the theory test.

matrim wrote: »

You can't book your test until you do your 12 lessons and you can't do the lessons until you pass your theory test. No shows at the test center have nothing to do with failing the theory test.

You’re right regarding the theory part but just to be clear, you can book your test before you do your 12 lessons, you just can’t get a date until after you’ve finished them.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Reati wrote: »
    Your English looks good as well.

You're = You are English looks good aswell.
    Aswell isn't a word. It's "as well".

Same as me driving...good enough to pass..or maybe test sat on right day at right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

matrim wrote: »

I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of the license centre. Lots of no shows there too. Either way, people need to own up to not being very good.

I hear a good few people having no issues then other people failing 4-5 times. If there was a quota to fail people I don't think as many people would be passing first time.

Well, I just got an email thismorning with my test date. Its next week. wish me luck!!

Tbh mate that outlook is kinda short-sighted. A driving instructor benefits much more by people properly preparing, passing first time and spreading the word by way of recommendations. Trouble is, pupils often don’t give us much of a chance and we end up fire fighting.
    We’re there to train people to drive safely. If they do that, they should pass....if they control their nerves. More often than not we face the attitude that people simply want to pass the test, unfortunately.

How is it I wasn't saying it's ideal but from a business side it's great unless they bad mouth you or change instructors.

People can be great at driving and if taught well should do fine but as you even say nerves can play a huge part.

I genuinely feel bad for those who fail and are good.

Happened one of the sisters and she is extremely safe where as the other passed and she is a danger to others.

Lalabanana wrote: »
    Well, I just got an email thismorning with my test date. Its next week. wish me luck!!

Good luck. New year , new licence....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i can't for the life of me see what a quota would achieve. There's no shortage of candidates

Hi all. Passed my test today. Just wondering - if I send for my lisence can I drive unaccompanied while waiting for it to arrive?

Hi all. Passed my test today. Just wondering - if I send for my lisence can I drive unaccompanied while waiting for it to arrive?

You will have a receipt from ndls..

You can chance it but you could well be done.

Garda discretion.

Quota must have been filled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No. You are told this when you get the cert. You are told this when you apply for the license. Until you've received it, you are still classified as a learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Quota must have been filled.

For those who think they failed because of a "Quota" are you also willing to accept that if you pass it was only because of the quota and not a reflection of your driving ability?

For those who think they failed because of a "Quota" are you also willing to accept that if you pass it was only because of the quota and not a reflection of your driving ability?

The op mentioned this at the start hence why I brought it up.

It's ridiculous to think this is the case.

Like anything of course some testers will be stricter then others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I honestly don’t believe there is a quota, this is just an excuse for drivers who didn’t pass. Just like if they do pass they won’t say it was a quota rather they possess great skills.

I passed my motorcycle test last week, practice was key.

Guy out directly before me failed, bar a solitary grade 3 he had a clean sheet, he explained what went on to the instructor and it was clear that he did indeed make a mistake and acknowledged it.

My instructor gave me wise words,

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

I never once said I failed because of a quota. I was asking if there was one, because I’ve heard rumors. I said that yes, I felt hard done by in my first test, however, I never claimed that the only reason I failed was because of a quota.

But, I never said that there wasn’t a quota. There may very well be a quota, and maybe the only reason why I passed is because of the quota. It doesn’t really matter to me now because A pass is a pass- regardless of whether there is a quota or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I never once said I failed because of a quota. I was asking if there was one, because I’ve heard rumors. I said that yes, I felt hard done by in my first test, however, I never claimed that the only reason I failed was because of a quota.

But, I never said that there wasn’t a quota. There may very well be a quota, and maybe the only reason why I passed is because of the quota. It doesn’t really matter to me now because A pass is a pass- regardless of whether there is a quota or not.

There's not a quota.

The standard though is set at such a level that it's not going to be completely straightforward for all prospective applicants to pass. There's no evidence really that people are being graded unfairly in order to hit some quota. Also, if there was a quota in place, it would be much more common knowledge than a niche conspiracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

I might be a bit late to the party here, but on an associated point....

I don't believe there are actual quotas for the pass/fail rate, but I've long wondered how the pass rate can be so different between different test centres.

The figures published for January to October 2018 show a pass rate of 77% in Clifden. Three other test centres (Newcastle in Limerick, Donegal and Tuam) had pass rates over 60%.

On the other hand, Kilrush (Clare) had 35%, and Kilkenny and Raheny were around 38%.

I could even understand how pass rates might depend on where the centre is (for instance, a rural-ish area might be easier to pass in than a city place, due to less traffic)....but surely the area around Clifden in Galway and Kilrush in Clare can't be that different?

Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Duffryman wrote: »
    I might be a bit late to the party here, but on an associated point....

I don't believe there are actual quotas for the pass/fail rate, but I've long wondered how the pass rate can be so different between different test centres.

The figures published for January to October 2018 show a pass rate of 77% in Clifden. Three other test centres (Newcastle in Limerick, Donegal and Tuam) had pass rates over 60%.

On the other hand, Kilrush (Clare) had 35%, and Kilkenny and Raheny were around 38%.

I could even understand how pass rates might depend on where the centre is (for instance, a rural-ish area might be easier to pass in than a city place, due to less traffic)....but surely the area around Clifden in Galway and Kilrush in Clare can't be that different?

Anyone any thoughts?

Quality of instructor?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

The overall for the country seems to be fairly close each year. 51 to 55%. Amazing how it always levels off to roughly the same considering there is as much of a difference between each area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yet the pass rate was almost double in
    Kilrush the previous year.

http://www.clare.fm/news/ennis-kilrush-driving-test-centres-among-highest-pass-rate-country/

Advertisement