Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Perished tyres - advice req. Less than 3 year old

Options
  • 28-12-2018 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all - hoping someone can offer advice. We bought a new car less than 3 years ago and got a puncture on back right tyre at the weekend. When I brought the tyre into the tyre centre yesterday to get it replaced (as puncture was in the side wall) - they said that the punctured Dunlop tyre was perished and should not be perished like that in less than 3 year with less than 65k km on the clock and said there may be a defect in the tyre. The back left tyre had similar cracks. Both are the original tyres on the car. They recommended going back to Dunlop or the dealer where I bought the car to seek some recourse.

I know nothing about tyres so has anyone been down this road before that can share their experiences/advice? Do you think there could be a defect and do you think a tyre manufacturer would offer anything?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,505 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That puncture doesn’t look related to the perishing. Looks like it nipped on a kerb or pothole.

Any tyres with signs of perishing need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The puncture appears to be mechanical it appears that an object caused it.

As for degredation 3 years is long enough for a tyre to degrade. It has been driving for 3 years and tyre inflation values have alot to do with the performance of a tyre. under inflated over inflated etc as major bearing on how it operates.

You have very little case for going to manufacturer tbh. And yes that tyre would have to be replaced. generally speaking id replace both sides of the same axle based on the length of time the tyres have been on the car.

Its not necessary to go with the same brand again for both axles but try keep the tyres consistent type / thread

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Postman Pat

_Brian wrote: »
    That puncture doesn’t look related to the perishing. Looks like it nipped on a kerb or pothole.

Any tyres with signs of perishing need to be changed.

Thanks Brian for the reply.

Trying to find out though if perishing of this nature is normal at 2.5-3 years of wear and 65k KM?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I wish I was getting 65k km's from my tyres, that's a lot of wear.

The lads in the tyre place should have told you when the tyres were manufactured, it's written on them. I know the tyres on my parents wheelchair van had to be changed with very little mileage on them but they failed the nct because they were perished due to age.

Maybe your car was on display in a showroom for the summer before you bought it and the sun caused damage.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Thanks Brian for the reply.

Trying to find out though if perishing of this nature is normal at 2.5-3 years of wear and 65k KM?

You should be on your 3rd set of tyres at this stage

• Advertisement

@listermint and @rows grower - thanks for the feedback and advice. The tyre centre said the tyres were 2015 and had seen cracks like that in 6 year old tyres but not 3 year old tyres. The Octavia was brand new with 10 miles on clock and purchased in March 2016 from Skoda dealer.

From your feedback though sounds like it is normal wear so - probably best I replace both back tyres and dont waste my time with manufacturer.

We changed the front tyres last year. Tyre centre said if I want to change back tyres to put new tyres on the back (as in an emergency situation - better grip tyres should be on the back) and leave front tyres where they are - would this be normal course of action? They recommended Michelin.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Depending on the tyre 65K Kms is a serious amount of mileage on them. I've had tyres that I'd barely get 10k out of them.

Driving styles affects it. Weather affects it. Lots of different things, but 65K, for me, I'd be happy with getting that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

I would be very happy getting 65k km out of them i get 40 to 45k km out of michelin tyres tyres before this was only 30k km I would be happy with just replacing tyres on both sides with same brand if i got that millage. I have to change mine about every two years depending on wear. Your mechanic as part or a service is checking your tyres for damage and wear and making you awear if it needs changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, tyres are made of rubber which perishes over time as well as mileage. Getting nearly 3 years or 65k km out of a set of tyres is doing very well. I'm not sure what your expectation is or how long you think a set of tyres should last but you have got more than your money's worth out of them already and they need replacing especially the damaged one in the last photo which is on the wall and dangerous.

I know nothing about tire lifetime or average mileage one should get so thank you all for posting your advice and setting me straight. Off to the tyre centre for 2 new back ones.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the mileage, those tyres are just over 3 years old. Week 45, 2015 is the moulding date.

At 3 years in regular use, perishing like that is not normal and should not be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

As I understand it manufacturers use a tougher compound on new cars so they last longer.

My fabia has given me 3 years but the fronts need replacing.

Shop tyres won't give you anywhere near that.

Lantus wrote: »
    As I understand it manufacturers use a tougher compound on new cars so they last longer.

My fabia has given me 3 years but the fronts need replacing.

Shop tyres won't give you anywhere near that.

Pub talk. There is absolutely zero truth to that old wives tale.

I don’t see much wrong with those tyres to be honest, bar the damaged one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭corks finest

listermint wrote: »
    The puncture appears to be mechanical it appears that an object caused it.

As for degredation 3 years is long enough for a tyre to degrade. It has been driving for 3 years and tyre inflation values have alot to do with the performance of a tyre. under inflated over inflated etc as major bearing on how it operates.

You have very little case for going to manufacturer tbh. And yes that tyre would have to be replaced. generally speaking id replace both sides of the same axle based on the length of time the tyres have been on the car.

Its not necessary to go with the same brand again for both axles but try keep the tyres consistent type / thread
    Change them yearly FFS , safety first

You buy your tyres from the center with the biggest windows, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Tyres are a consumable item.
    You got a puncture.

Get a new tyre, and move on.

JayZeus wrote: »

Buy mine when needed buddy,do a fair bit of driving,so maybe you're behind the big window, always looking ( trolling)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

It's a Dunlop!! Anyone in the industry knows these tyre perish/crack like this after a couple of years.

Don't worry about it. Buy Conti next time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

khaldrogo wrote: »
    It's a Dunlop!! Anyone in the industry knows these tyre perish/crack like this after a couple of years.

Have to laugh, before I opened the images I was wondering was it going to be a Dunlop Sport Maxx, they are paunfully prone to perishing.

To be fair, it looks like a 3-4 mm tyre so fit for the bin shortly anyway but no way Skoda or Dunlop will be interested after 3 years or 65k kms, typical ****e advice from a tyre centre IMO.

• Advertisement

Thanks all - for the feedback. Genie mack - after some more research online - there's a heap of articles online about Dunlops cracking. That's the last set I'll be putting on the car for a while.

I see a recommendation here to get Continentals - anyone know of any common issues with them or Michelins which I'm now considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

@listermint and @rows grower - thanks for the feedback and advice.

We changed the front tyres last year. Tyre centre said if I want to change back tyres to put new tyres on the back (as in an emergency situation - better grip tyres should be on the back) and leave front tyres where they are - would this be normal course of action? They recommended Michelin.

That’s the current thinking alright even on a front wheel drive car.
    Best tyres at the back to guard against oversteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Thanks all - for the feedback. Genie mack - after some more research online - there's a heap of articles online about Dunlops cracking. That's the last set I'll be putting on the car for a while.

I see a recommendation here to get Continentals - anyone know of any common issues with them or Michelins which I'm now considering?

I just put a pair of Sport Maxx RT2s on my car and I'll be keeping an eye on them now after seeing this thread, but TBH I'd be very happy to get one year/20k out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

Have to laugh, before I opened the images I was wondering was it going to be a Dunlop Sport Maxx, they are paunfully prone to perishing.

To be fair, it looks like a 3-4 mm tyre so fit for the bin shortly anyway but no way Skoda or Dunlop will be interested after 3 years or 65k kms, typical ****e advice from a tyre centre IMO.

Noticed the same cracks on my mother's 162 yaris with 8k km, yes 8k km, production week was 1416, dunlop sport Maxx, I couldn't believe it, I've had problems with mitchelin cracking in the past but at much higher mileage/older tyres.

@listermint and @rows grower - thanks for the feedback and advice.

Rotate

ml100 wrote: »

Noticed the same cracks on my mother's 162 yaris with 8k km, yes 8k km, production week was 1416, dunlop sport Maxx, I couldn't believe it, I've had problems with mitchelin cracking in the past but at much higher mileage/older tyres.
    Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi all - hoping someone can offer advice. We bought a new car less than 3 years ago and got a puncture on back right tyre at the weekend. When I brought the tyre into the tyre centre yesterday to get it replaced (as puncture was in the side wall) - they said that the punctured Dunlop tyre was perished and should not be perished like that in less than 3 year with less than 65k km on the clock and said there may be a defect in the tyre. The back left tyre had similar cracks. Both are the original tyres on the car. They recommended going back to Dunlop or the dealer where I bought the car to seek some recourse.

I know nothing about tyres so has anyone been down this road before that can share their experiences/advice? Do you think there could be a defect and do you think a tyre manufacturer would offer anything?

3 years on one set of tyres. Lucky you.

JayZeus wrote: »

Now Jay, unless you're fluent in American we're the centre of the universe. Alongside traders on the stock market.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Tyres are a consumable item.
    You got a puncture.

Get a new tyre, and move on.

How many shares do you have in a tyre manufacturer!

Get a puncture, get it repaired. Only a fool would buy a new tyre because of a repairable puncture.

3-4 mm could be another year of driving so very very far from fit for the bin, what are some people smoking....

It’s absolute nonsense, best tyres should be on the driving wheels not this myth that’s is being spread around the motoring forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Get a puncture, get it repaired. Only a fool would buy a new tyre because of a repairable puncture.

Not sure if you looked at the OPs images but the damage is not repairable on their tyre.

It’s absolute nonsense, best tyres should be on the driving wheels not this myth that’s is being spread around the motoring forum.

It's not a myth at all.

https://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/car-tyres

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/tyre-knowledge/tirelexicon-3-0/tirelexikon-3-7

Many more sources but you get the idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement