Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail fleet and infrastructure plans

Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Connolly still has points trouble regularly enough. And the up road at north strand junction seems to also have signal/points trouble. While it delays whichever train is at the signal, at least they can still run trains around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that it seems there are no plans to buy any DMUs to expand services outside of the GDA and Cork, am I correct in thinking that more services outside of GDA/Cork means waiting for existing DMUs to be cascaded from the GDA, as the new Alstom electric/battery trains arrive?

What sort of timeline might this happen in?

185 coaches have been ordered already, that is 37 sets of 5-cars

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/iarnrod-eireann-and-alstom-sign-contract-for-90-ex#:~:text=This%20order%20of%2090%20carriages,carriages%20to%20be%20ordered%20over

I presume these are due to replace the 36 old DART sets? 36 * 2-car = 72 cars

At what stage might 2800 or 29000 be replaced, so they could be sent to Galway or Limerick?

2026?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that's correct, existing DMUS being freed up due to dart + will provide any extra services outside the GDA.
    when that timeline will be i can't say as dart + timelines asside, the 29 sets which run the connolly suburban services are in desperate need of refurbishment so that will take time.
    the 2800s are based out of limerick and i have no idea when they will be replaced, my guess might be 2040 but that's just going on a 40 year lifespan so they could go earlier, maybe when the 2600s go, or both could run for longer i don't know.

currently the services out of heuston are all run by the inter city trains including suburban services, so electrification of the kildare line will free those sets running the suburban services to go to the inter city and regional services, but again i don't know any timelines for when that will happen.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Glasnevin junction IMO should be redone to allow services divert along the southern line and get to and from the Phoenix park tunnel. Operational flexibility if nothing else. Would allow a few Kildare services to go to Docklands as well and take some pressure off Connolly through platform timetabling . Also be good for the odd Point depot gig.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sorry unless I missed something isn’t that what they’re gonna do with Dart+ West?

• Advertisement
Advertisement