Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to disc or not

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

I'm a big advocate of disc brakes. Have 2 bikes with them. Only small downside is when you come to order new wheels.
    1. there are 2 options for how the disc is connected to the wheel, 6 bolt or splined.
    2. there are 3 separate standards for axles, Quick Release, 15 mm Skewer or 12 mm Skewer.
    3. there are 2 options for rear axle width, 135 mm or 142 mm.

Most wheels will come with adaptors to allow you cover most bases, but it can be a bit of a pain trying to work you way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

So the system six turned up a week ago, done a couple of hundred k on it, and I like it. Discs are good in the wet. I got the 51, and it looked tiny when I was building it up. It's very similar geometry to my caad 10, but looked way smaller. Thankfully it felt good and familiar when I actually rode it. The reach, drop etc are the same as the caad. It's heavy at 8.4kg out of the box with assioma pedals, garmin mount and bottle cages.

It was comfy on the rides I've done, and I have ordered a set of 50 mm wheels for it for racing.

All in all, I am happy with the bike, and look forward to getting dropped on it during the coming season!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Pics, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Stick em in the images of ugly, which is where I meant to put my new yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Raam wrote: »
    Stick em in the images of ugly, which is where I meant to put my new yoke.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109195655&postcount=1801

you're welcome

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    Weight isn't that important. Sky were winning GTs on 8kg bikes from what I remember.
    I remember a mechanic commentating that the weight differnce between the sky bikes and evreyone elses were very similar to the weight of a *****, maybe just a coincidence, maybe not.
    Neither is braking. You just need a bike that's adequately light with adequate braking.
    I understand the concern for braking for leisure etc but for racing, you need to be able to slow, slightly , in emergency situations. At no other point should braking be a concern.
    On that subject, there's no logical reason why professional cyclists can't all use the same 8kg €1000 round-tubed bicycle with alloy wheels and rim brakes. It's about human performance right? :D The UCI WordTour could tender for a standard bicycle to be used by the whole peloton, like with Mavic support. Or raise the minimum weight limit to 8kg and ban carbon fibre and deep section wheels.
    It would be fantastic.
    The first sportive I did was the Tournof Meath in 2015. Coming down the hill of Tara it was like a river. The rim brakes were quite useless. It was similar conditions for the Tour de Boyne Valley last year. While I admit that the majority of the time the rims were great and perfect for most of my cycling I wanted disc brakes on my new bike and so got them. I haven’t been out in torrential rain with it yet though.
    I have been out in torrents of rain, if my brakes were set up right, on a worst case scenario, the braking distance increased by about a metre or two. If they are set up with the pads, almost touching the rims, they will act like a vice and stop rotation if you want them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    I remember a mechanic commentating that the weight differnce between the sky bikes and evreyone elses were very similar to the weight of a *****

Ben Swifts was 7.7kg according to Cycling Weekly.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/pro-bike-ben-swifts-pinarello-dogma-60-1-24711/

Pinarello claimed 950g for the frameset but that was a lie, they were more like 1.2kg.

At the top level 900g is a big deal, that extra weight would be better on the rider. Saves on the pharmacy bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

I will never buy a disc brake bike for racing for these reasons, in no particular order.
    1. They look horrendous.
    2. They sound horrendous. There are no plans or solutions from companies to make disc brakes any quieter - check out the latest CyclingTips podcast for this info.
    3. Maintenance of disc brakes is something I don't need in my life.
    4. A rubbing disc brake can be a pain and something not easily fixed. Which would also be a pain pre-race.
    5. Discs get bent and hey presto they rub again! Especially if you are constantly taking your bike in and out of a car to and from races.
    6. Rim brakes work just fine. Wet or Dry I've never had any problems with carbon rims.
    7. There are few if any places in Ireland where a disc brake would be preferable to a rim brake. I understand a main reason for discs are long descents and a risk of rims overheating and deforming this doesn't happen in Ireland and I've no plans to ride abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DKmac wrote: »
    2. They sound horrendous. There are no plans or solutions from companies to make disc brakes any quieter - check out the latest CyclingTips podcast for this info.
    4. A rubbing disc brake can be a pain and something not easily fixed. Which would also be a pain pre-race.
    5. Discs get bent and hey presto they rub again! Especially if you are constantly taking your bike in and out of a car to and from races.
    I've never experienced these issues in several years of using a disc braked road bike.

Actually, there was a bit of noise until the first pad change, but now they're quieter than my rim brakes.

Lumen wrote: »
    I've never experienced these issues in several years of using a disc braked road bike.

Actually, there was a bit of noise until the first pad change, but now they're quieter than my rim brakes.

Delighted for you. I have experienced these. I'd prefer not to.
    In short in my opinion they are completely unnecessary on any race bike in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

DKmac wrote: »
    I will never buy a disc brake bike for racing for these reasons, in no particular order.
    1. They look horrendous.
    3. Maintenance of disc brakes is something I don't need in my life.
    6. Rim brakes work just fine. Wet or Dry I've never had any problems with carbon rims.
    7. There are few if any places in Ireland where a disc brake would be preferable to a rim brake. I understand a main reason for discs are long descents and a risk of rims overheating and deforming this doesn't happen in Ireland and I've no plans to ride abroad.

But hey man, a big advantage is that they are quite a bit heavier so it forces you to get fitter to climb at the same speed

But hey man, a big advantage is that they are quite a bit heavier so it forces you to get fitter to climb at the same speed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

youtheman wrote: »
    I'm a big advocate of disc brakes. Have 2 bikes with them. Only small downside is when you come to order new wheels.
    1. there are 2 options for how the disc is connected to the wheel, 6 bolt or splined.
    2. there are 3 separate standards for axles, Quick Release, 15 mm Skewer or 12 mm Skewer.
    3. there are 2 options for rear axle width, 135 mm or 142 mm.

Most wheels will come with adaptors to allow you cover most bases, but it can be a bit of a pain trying to work you way around it.

Don't forget flat mount and post mount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

Borderfox wrote: »
    Don't forget flat mount and post mount

Funny you mention that, but I just realised that yesterday when I was day dreaming about ordering a new disc groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

are there many non hydraulic caliper options out there?

Trp spyres and Trp bb5-bb7 not great though and dont take up the wear like a hydraulic system. I have the TRP Hy/Rd system and find it a good compromise between cable and hydraulic

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Whatever about racing where every gramme counts for normal cycling they work well and consistently and in crap Irish winter weather you don't get a ton of brake compound staining your wheels frame and fork.

Used them on MTB for years and I have to say the case was stronger there. But on road the consistency is brilliant and even in Ireland on long descents it is nice to be able to have fully modulated braking with one finger effort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one issue i have had recently is scraping noise from crud being thrown up from the front wheel making its way between the disc and pads on the back wheel. only on muddy roads though, but i've been down a few of those recently.

one issue i have had recently is scraping noise from crud being thrown up from the front wheel making its way between the disc and pads on the back wheel. only on muddy roads though, but i've been down a few of those recently.

I tend to only get that when I was the bike

Advertisement