Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes C350e 100% battery says 19km (reality 10km)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The best way to drive a PHEV is purely electric, or electric as much as possible. It won't mess up the engine to do this, the car is (or should be) designed that either engine can be used

If you have home charging available and work charging then you could do a significant amount of the drive in electric mode

However there's a few things to check, for example if that 15km is through heavy traffic then it will probably cause the battery to drain more quickly in winter since it'll be heating the car.

Also I think some PHEVs need the engine to use the AC, so that's worth checking for this particular model

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

I've had a BMW PHEV for just over 3 years and I've given up thinking about how much on pure EV can I get. The reality is that I charge as frequently as possible at home (using night rate) we have a BEV as well so can really only charge one of them at night time - generally the BEV only needs charging every third night.

I just put it in hybrid mode and drive - if I am pottering around it will just run on EV but generally it just offers much better fuel efficiency 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭joe1303l

You’ld be better off getting a PHEV with a bigger battery. Maybe a 330E or 530E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

@Goose81 , in Winter you will just about get the 10km of your 30km commute. The petrol side of the car is very thirsty. It is not a good PHEV for economy, but it's comfortable and a nice place to be. You will visit petrol stations as much as you used to.

The newer versions is better (C300de, C300e I think. etc.). They are the same generation of C and E class but have bigger batteries, but they demonstrate why the original C350e had such a small battery. The bigger battery in the new versions take up an idiotic amount of boot space.

The Passat GTE PHEV does not lose any boot space over the standard Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭coil1985

Did you get car? Looking at one myself atm. Whats been your experience with it, if you did get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭Goose81

I didn't.

I had my eye on a very particular one that was loaded to the hilt, a 2018 model.

I then looked at them again in person and the interiors are so dated, they have a random screen that looks like something from 15 years ago.

I then I started looking at an E class for the same year 2018/19 as they got updated before the C class but they were out of my reach (to be fair the interiors are the business, massive screen and gadgets)

I then looked at BMW and it was a no brainer to get one of them instead. They were upgraded more recently and look way more modern inside for the same year as the C class.

I went for a 182 5 series hybrid with 22k miles for the same price as the guy wanted for a 181 C class with double the miles.

The BMW 5 series is a far nicer car imo from seeing them both , although it's not really a competitor against the C class as it is really a competitor against the E class but they can be got same price or cheaper than the C class so made no sense to go with the Merc.

You get alot more bang for buck with a 5 series than a C class, it's a different level of car.

The mercedes are too rare to get a nice one I think, they only pop up now and again, 3 and 5 series there's hundreds

If looking around 2018 cars if your heart is set on the Merc and you can afford it, the E class is lovely inside and it would be a toss up between that and the 5 series, the Merc is probably nicer but the c class is a relic inside and I discounted it straight away considering the money you are spending on a 5 year old car

Appreciate your perspective. I test drove one last Saturday. I didn't think the interior was dated if I am being honest. Admittedly I didn't play around much with the screen. But at a glance it didn't seem bad. It was the bigger one. The worst I came across was a 2018 Audi A6. That screen was hideous. I am going back though this Saturday and will take it out minus the dealer. The one I am looking at is the Avantgarde, highly specced, 4 cameras, upgraded sound system, sun roof etc. 35k miles.

I was just curious about the battery but now I'm thinking that if the mileage isn't that high, then the capacity of the battery should still be ok

Congrats on the 5 series. Was looking at those too but any of the ones I liked had high mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭Goose81

Any research I did said the battery should be ok in these cars once the mileage isn't Bananas.

Realistically they are hybrids so look the way I see it even if the battery is fairly obliterated it will still do a job as a hybrid, you just will be limited of you want to go pure electric.

I got a 2014 Prius taxi last night and the guy was raging about how good his fuel economy was and the car had 250k km on it, the way I see it how bad can the Merc you are looking at or the 5 series I bought be in comparison to that...

If it still works for him and fuel efficiency is his profit and he is happy then I reckon we would be fine, at the very least in hybrid mode

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭User1998

Do you plan on charging the car every day? You can’t really compare a C Class/5 series to a Prius. The fuel economy is going to be much better on the Prius and they work much better as hybrids too. I find that plug in hybrids with a dead battery never perform as well as self charging hybrids. C Class/5 Series are heavy cars too.

I got under 5l/100km doing deliveries in a Prius. Now you might get somewhere close to that in a C Class/5 series if you start with a full battery, but theres no way you could get even close to that with an uncharged battery. I’d imagine it would be closer to 10l/100km.

I actually had a Golf GTE myself but can’t remember the fuel economy I used to get when I drove it as a regular hybrid. I don’t remember it being particularly good tho and the engine was constantly kicking in once the battery died.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Imported a high spec C350e of these before Brexit cause of the low VRT , great car to drive, good power but you will barely even get 10km imo unless you doing a bit of downhill coasting :) You will see how fast the battery depletes while driving.

• Advertisement

What was your overall experience of the car? I test drove the one I am looking at again this morning. Really like it tbh. What’s putting me off is that I work from home and not sure I need such a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I found it a bit thirsty, I guess due to the turbo charged 2l giving 270bHP incl the battery. The cabin is lovely, I found the center console does get a bit scratched but overall a comfortable ride

Ye defo a lot of power in it. I’m very tempted.

Advertisement