Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No CDs in new cars - irrate audiobook fan

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

My car has a cd/dvd player.
    I don't think I've played a CD, and I've only played two DVDs .. it's hard to watch when you're driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pedro deNada

Thanks but you have the choice, its not a 'hell or to Connaught option'

JayZeus wrote: »
    OP, you don’t have to change your car. You don’t have to pick a focus. You don’t have to use CDs. You don’t have to embrace new technologies.

But what exactly are you looking to accomplish? Is this just something to be wound up about? Something to argue with people about?

Just rip your CD’s and put them on your phone. Stream them to the Ford supplied Bluetooth enabled head unit and get on with listening to your books and learning Portuguese.

Or don’t. Spend the €400 or move with the times. Whinging about it won’t help and Ford don’t care if you think it’s expensive. You’re a total outlier, requiring a CD player in a modern car. You might as well want a minidisc headunit or a factory fitted CB radio. It’s just weird.
    You seem such a tolerant helpful person, Jordan Petersen the 12 Rules for Life is very good on this!
    Also https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/31/on-offence-review-politics-indignation-richard-king

joujoujou wrote: »
    I am the very same. And it's not just a habit, it's a real pleasure!

But... ...but despite having vast majority of my CD collection stuffed just into one USB stick (gives me approx 400 hours of music to listen to) I did not rip them - even though it's not a problem at all, it's even easier just to download all the music off the net. Simples.

Now, we both are the minority and no car maker would listen to minority, so for your own peace of mind, just get on with that. :)
    Thanks, maybe a minority on here, but as populism shows there is an increasing silent majority out there who are not been heard!

Look, you have an idea in your head and no one is going to talk you out of it.
    All your links are bullsh*t.
    The whole argument here is that CDs are a dead technology and CD players are disappearing from cars. You're saying "oh well audiobooks on CDs are still popular, some people like them" but thats not going to change anything.

CDs are now a niche technology.

If you don't want to pay extra for a CD player, then just buy a car that has a CD player built in.
    The solution is simple.
    How is 'all your links are b*******' an objective argument?
    Yours is a 'my way or the highway' argument, are we slaves to technology or is technology there to serve us?
    Obviously a rhetorical question given the majority of responses here.

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'm pissed off my new Navara didn't come with rifle racks.
    Only on the US models

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thanks but you have the choice, its not a 'hell or to Connaught option'

so do you - you could buy another make of car; or pay extra to have this old technology retrofitted to your new Ford.

Technology moves on, it's not fascism, or some big illuminati conspiracy (though if the illuminati are real, I'm sure Henry Ford was up to his neck in it).

We bought a new car recently, I only realised a couple of weeks later it didn't have a CD player. With our previous car we had literally never used the CD player in the 3 years we had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Bring a ghettoblaster with you on all your trips.

do-the-right-thing-bill-nunn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Thanks, maybe a minority on here, but as populism shows there is an increasing silent majority out there who are not been heard!

Not for CD's there isnt. there just really isn't

Vinyl had a comeback , it will not be the same for CD's

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Sony-Discman-D-132CK-WORKING-with-car-mount-adapter/253787283679?hash=item3b16e6a0df:g:5qgAAOSwzrlbX9eA:rk:12:pf:0

theres an ad for the same model sony discman my father had including the car mount that I can assure you fits very well on the dashboard of a toyota carina e , now you won't need the tape adapter , but an aux cord will connect it to the focuses new stereo, and you can proceed with your 1997 revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

How is 'all your links are b*******' an objective argument?
    Yours is a 'my way or the highway' argument, are we slaves to technology or is technology there to serve us?
    Obviously a rhetorical question given the majority of responses here.

Your links don't prove the point you're making. Sure they small market of audiobooks may be growing, but if you think car manufacturers are going to reintroduce CD players for the niche audiobook listener then you're greatly mistaken.

Your whole 'slaves to technology' argument is silly too. Should we keep every artefact of technology on the off chance someone should use it? Should cars have tape decks, 8 tracks and CD players as standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Article from 8 years ago
    https://www.carscoops.com/2011/07/ford-ditches-cd-players-on-its-new/
    As digital music sales rise, compact discs seem to be heading the way of the cassette –for those of you old enough to remember them, that is. For example, in the UK digital sales account for 98% percent of the market. That’s evolution: just as the cassette made the 8-track player obsolete and then gave its place to CD-players, now purely digital content is making CD players a thing of the past.
    Therefore, it is only natural for carmakers to add digital music features in their cars, such as USB and iPod ports, and deleting options like the multiple CD-changer. Aside from those ports, Ford’s European arm is also increasing the availability of Bluetooth connectivity and DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) radio, which is now standard in the new Focus, C-MAX and Grand C-MAX models.

The company also plans to bring its SYNC infotainment system, which is already available in the US, to Europe next year. The system, apart from offering the usual array of multiple USB, SD and RAC ports and Bluetooth also acts as a wireless hotspot for as many as five devices.

This capability will also allow access to “cloud” services like the Apple iCloud and Google Music, streaming music and therefore eliminating the need for any form of storage device in the car. Ford expects that sales of SYNC-equipped European models will reach two million units until 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

My E66 had am exceptionally rare MiniDisc option, now that was progress!

radio-mini-disc-bmw-serie-7-e65-e66-248030004_1.jpg?VersionId=C3vMoIj7qBpQ5M9Lo1An8WNI5ZzOoseo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Audio Books are more difficult to rip than music albums. You need more features and tags than music tracks. Classical music is equally tricky.

It's still very expensive to get digital audio books.

Once affordable streaming options become available people will switch to them. But for now an audio cd is easier and cheaper.

We use them for the kids especially useful for someone who can't read or watch movies while traveling, car sick etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rip the audiobooks you have on CD and get any new ones on audible or a similar service.

Without checking I'd say any increase in popularity of audiobooks is in digital format, not CD. I have no books on CD but I've loads in my audible library.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Rip the audiobooks you have on CD and get any new ones on audible or a similar service.

Without checking I'd say any increase in popularity of audiobooks is in digital format, not CD. I have no books on CD but I've loads in my audible library.

Same here, i've bought loads of audio books over the years, but never on cd, no point as the format is pretty much dead and far more options available for digital formats.
    One pendrive or phone can hold your entire audio collection.

Advertisement