Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No CDs in new cars - irrate audiobook fan

Options
  • 22-12-2018 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Does anyone else find the lack of a CD/MP3 player in new cars a pain in the *ss?
    Ford want €400 to put a CD/MP3 player in the glove box in a new focus. I have 500 books on CDs and some books have 15-20 CDs per book. Yes you can burn all of these books onto multiple USB keys or other storage devices but its not convenient to do this or access them as on a CD box, it also takes ages to burn them, so its convenient for Ford to get rid of the CD but not for the customer.
    Can't do language CDs either (learning Portuguese).

I now have to stretch to a CD player in the glove box like my father had to do with his 8 track player in the 1970s. Progress??
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Your crippng about spending 400 extra when your going to spend how much for a new focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

For general audiobooks (possibly language ones too) have you tried the borrow box app and a library account then play via Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

A cheap fm transmitter like this one with a portable cd player might do temporarily. You could power it from the cigarette lighter to save messing with batteries.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8199645/Trail/searchtext%3EFM+TRANSMITTER.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

I now have to stretch to a CD player in the glove box like my father had to do with his 8 track player in the 1970s. Progress??

Yes, that's progress, CDs era is gone. There are better technologies now. I know it's a pain but friend of mine ripped his whole collection of CDs over couple of months and now keeps them on two hard drives where the seconds is only for backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

topnotch wrote:
    A cheap fm transmitter like this one with a portable cd player might do temporarily. You could power it from the cigarette lighter to save messing with batteries.

Can be a lot of signal loss with these yokes, prone to interference as well, but they do work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yourmama wrote:
    Yes, that's progress, CDs era is gone. There are better technologies now. I know it's a pain but friend of mine ripped his whole collection of CDs over couple of months and now keeps them on two hard drives where the seconds is only for backup.

Even though I've done this to some degree in the past, I'd just bloody download them now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes you can burn all of these books onto multiple USB keys or other storage devices but its not convenient to do this ...
    You do realise you can get USB keys in sizes up to 2TB these days? You'd have enough audio books on one of those to listen to on a trip to Mars and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

It's actually a fantastic example of progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I find it disgraceful I can't play my vinyl collection in my new BMW.

How about you just don't buy a new Focus, and buy a car that has a CD player?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

topnotch wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8199645/Trail/searchtext%3EFM+TRANSMITTER.htm

A double male cable from a portable CD player to the Aux input would be better.

OP my sister had the same complaint a few years ago when she got a new car, 2 years later and she hasn't bothered to do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Some posters here may be unaware of the wonderful ( mostly CD based ) content available to borrow from the public library system .

OP, I feel your pain

Prompts the question what other improvements Ford have for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

0lddog wrote: »
    Some posters here may be unaware of the wonderful ( mostly CD based ) content available to borrow from the public library system.
    It takes literally a couple of minutes to transfer a CD to an MP3 on a USB stick or memory card. Non-issue.

Some posters here may be unaware of the wonderful ( mostly CD based ) content available to borrow from the public library system .

OP, I feel your pain

Prompts the question what other improvements Ford have for 2019.

I have a Spotify account and an audible account. Before that an iTunes account.
    I haven't bought a CD in nearly 10 years I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gingham1

Alun wrote: »
    Some posters here may be unaware of the wonderful ( mostly CD based ) content available to borrow from the public library system.
    It takes literally a couple of minutes to transfer a CD to an MP3 on a USB stick or memory card. Non-issue.
    Yes. I am aware of them and when I lived beside a library I was borrowing and ripping to mp3 constantly. :)
    EAC and LAME at highest bitrates. If I wasn't ripping CDs I was ripping Dad's from the library. Had to walk past Xtravision on the way to library.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gingham1

DVDS NOT DADS

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought they stopped fitting cd players into new cars a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Toyota are not making diesel engined cars anymore. Instead of buying a petrol Toyota and then complaining about it, I will simply buy a different brand of car with a diesel engine.

You should do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pedro deNada

Ho, ho, ho to U,
    Its always been included in the price. I drive 25k miles/yr for work so unfortunately have to change. Actually €400 is a lot extra for something that's been previously bundled.

Agree, did look at the nearest option a golf estate, VW do still provide CD player, but VW dealer says Golf wagon/estage not been sold in RoI anymore, so no joy.

No VW, BMW and few others still providing them. US and UK customer surveys suggest 70% of motorists still want them. Ford just stopped providing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It’s well over a decade since I bought any sort of CD. I had to actually look there to see if I had a CD player in my car... Why use it when you’ve options like apple carplay, Bluetooth, USB ports?! All far far superior to CDs.

This is literally the same as someone in 2010 moaning there’s no tape deck in their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Does anyone else find the lack of a CD/MP3 player in new cars a pain in the *ss?
    Ford want €400 to put a CD/MP3 player in the glove box in a new focus. I have 500 books on CDs and some books have 15-20 CDs per book. Yes you can burn all of these books onto multiple USB keys or other storage devices but its not convenient to do this or access them as on a CD box, it also takes ages to burn them, so its convenient for Ford to get rid of the CD but not for the customer.
    Can't do language CDs either (learning Portuguese).

:mad:

Save yourself a fortune on buying cd's and get an Audible account. Difference would pob pay your focus repayments

Yourmama wrote: »

Thanks, but spending months ripping my audiiobook collection does not entice me as a ripping time and how to catalogue or find the book you want on the hard drives is another issue.

Thought technology is supposed to be about choice and make you're life easier, seems its actual effect is the opposite.

Thought technology is supposed to be about choice and make you're life easier, seems its actual effect is the opposite.

Why don't you just rip your audiobooks as you need them? No need to do everything in one go. Throw them onto your phone and problem solved!
    This is a non issue IMO.
    Technology stops the need to hoard boxes of CDs and carry them around with you. Do you carry a portable CD player around with you when you're not in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tell me about it. I've boxes of 8 tracks waiting for them to be reintroduced to cars.

Technology like all things is to make companies profit and they do that by obsoleting old technologies in order to get people to buy new.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Tell me about it. I've boxes of 8 tracks waiting for them to be reintroduced to cars.

Technology like all things is to make companies profit and they do that by obsoleting old technologies in order to get people to buy new.
    Ha ha cynicism is unbecoming, golden discs in Tallaght is full of LPs.
    it should been integrated paper has survived from the ancient Celts or Egyptians see how these electronic fad data storage means survive or can remain accessed going forward.

Alun wrote: »
    You do realise you can get USB keys in sizes up to 2TB these days? You'd have enough audio books on one of those to listen to on a trip to Mars and back.

no **** sherlock, it's hassle don't see it as 'progress' just being a 'sheeple'.

It's actually a fantastic example of progress

Ha ha ha!

I have a Spotify account and an audible account. Before that an iTunes account.
    I haven't bought a CD in nearly 10 years I'd say.

that's your prerogative it should be about choice not 'techno nazis'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

that's your prerogative it should be about choice not 'techno nazis'.

Can you not just fit a CD player yourself? It's not rocket science.

Advertisement