Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie O'Sullivan - Road to 1,000 Centuries!

Options
  • 21-12-2018 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I've been on and off following Ronnie and his road to 1,000 centuries on YouTube. I believe he's at 986 now, so not far to go...

I'm just wondering does anyone have any idea when the 1,000th may be on the cards for? What tournaments are coming up etc that he's likely to reach it in?

I'd like to watch the game it may be possible in live if I can, so just thought I'd start this to get any updates :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This is the calendar.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooker_season_2018/2019

He'll play the Masters and the World Grand Prix in January but will probably be in the nervous 990s after those two.
    Welsh Open likely the best bet imo.

But a few early round exits could push it back towards China Open in March.

Pretty much everything is live on Eurosport/Quest or ITV4 these days, so no reason to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

That will be some achievement to reach 1000 centuries. Hope to watch it live also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't have a TV so it's not something I can just stick on in the background :P

I'll try keep an eye on them tournaments, but it could be nice if we could get a count down/up going on this thread too :D

There's a youtube "Road to 1,000" playlist here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou0bh6cneWs&list=PLgulSmHexiteLJPgocrwZ4Kia1VbIvUK1

He might try put off his 1,000th until he thinks he can get a 147 :pac:

There doesn't seem to be any movement past 986 since I posted the above, maybe a few due soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

cormie wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any movement past 986 since I posted the above, maybe a few due soon?

Only centuries made in professional competitive play count towards the total, and O'Sullivan hasn't played in a professional tournament since the UK Championship, having withdrawn from the Scottish Open.

The next opportunity for O'Sullivan to add to his total will be in next week's Masters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

987 now. A 134 against Bingham.

And #988 just went in. A 111 in the same match against Bingham.

Thanks for the updates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

He said last month he's going to knock in #1000 whenever Eurosport tell him that they want him to!

#989 a quick one against Ryan Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

990 tonight against trump in masters final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Hmmmm 991 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

991 centuries now

An entertaining one against Ronnie here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Meanwhile David Gilbert did get the 147th 147 yesterday against Stephen Maguire. No audience but at least it's on camera.

As Ronnie didn't make it you probably won't hear too much about it.

https://www.facebook.com/WorldSnooker/videos/303078620344207/

I'm guessing Trump could eventually surpass Ronnie for career centuries. He's already on 584, and he's only 29. He could potentially hit the 1,000 mark by his mid-30s. Robertson is on 606, but he's 36.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Guess it will depend on ronnies finishing total which isn’t easy to predict. If he went on into his 50s, which he’s talked about, he’d likely push total up to 1400+. Then again, as we know, he’s just as likely to talk about retirement so hard to know.

If he did get somewhere close to that total, though, would take judd into his early 40s to match, assuming he maintains his current rate. A lot more likely than not for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

An entertaining one against Ronnie here :)

I was watching this. Ronnie obviously was rooting for Ding to make the 147 but I'd say he was also thinking 'What the hell are you doing' with some of those shots. Ding was very fluky on some of them. Pity the green didn't go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm guessing Trump could eventually surpass Ronnie for career centuries. He's already on 584, and he's only 29. He could potentially hit the 1,000 mark by his mid-30s. Robertson is on 606, but he's 36.

Yeah I had the same thought when I heard Trumps stats. That said, Ronnie will be the first to do it in the history of the sport.

Inviere wrote: »
    Yeah I had the same thought when I heard Trumps stats. That said, Ronnie will be the first to do it in the history of the sport.

He will be the first, and that's a major achievement. That said, this is his 27th season as a professional. If a player averages 37 centuries per season over 27 seasons, he'll hit the 1,000 mark, even though scoring 37 centuries per season isn't all that remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

He will definitely be the first. That said, this is his 27th season as a professional. If a player averages 37 centuries per season over 27 seasons, he'll hit the 1,000 mark, even though scoring 37 centuries per season isn't all that remarkable.

He's just a consistent ol' dog really. To last twenty years and still be doing the business, it's unheard of in the game. Hard to argue him not being the goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He will be the first, and that's a major achievement. That said, this is his 27th season as a professional. If a player averages 37 centuries per season over 27 seasons, he'll hit the 1,000 mark, even though scoring 37 centuries per season isn't all that remarkable.

Yeah but for the first 10 years or so he didn't play anywhere near as much as the players now. He still doesn't really.

Hes not playing in the German Masters. Playing in the World GP and the Welsh (I think) but unlikely to knock in 9 centuries by then. He really should get as close as he can and then break 1000 at the Crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

did he not take a couple of years off?

Should also be pointed out I think that it’s never been easier to score tons in snooker - faster, slicker tables and more generous pockets, particularly over the last 6-7 years or so. Ronnie did not enjoy such favorable conditions for quite a large part of his career.

Whatever about being the greatest, people can argue away about that to their hearts content, but I’m quite certain that we won’t see a better breakbuilder in any of our lifetimes. The ability to control the cue ball, to make such a difficult game look “simple” - nobody has ever matched him, and possibly never will, in that department imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Whatever about being the greatest, people can argue away about that to their hearts content.

Is there an argument to be had?

Surely not.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Is there an argument to be had?

Surely not.

I think there’s definitely a debate - which then descends to argument more often than not in my experience anyway - to be had but it doesn’t interest me personally all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Seve OB wrote: »
    did he not take a couple of years off?

He took a snooker season year off but I think he played the WC's at the end of the season and won it. Some say that was a remarkable achievement but given he already had so much experience I think the break from competitive play did him more good rather than being a disadvantage.
    Wheety wrote: »
    I was watching this. Ronnie obviously was rooting for Ding to make the 147 but I'd say he was also thinking 'What the hell are you doing' with some of those shots. Ding was very fluky on some of them. Pity the green didn't go in.

Hendry said in commentary that if he had made the 147 if would have been one of the best 147's ever and I agree. His first long red from baulk if missed would have left Ronnie right in but he played it perfectly leaving him position on the black. To play that shot was brave because he was well behind. What a pity, it would have made for a thrilling 147 147.

Other notable shots was the combination, was it the 11th red or thereabouts. One of the best combinations I've ever seen . I agree with Hendry about this shot also, it would have been so easy to whack it but Ding played it so softly as if he were on the practice table having fun and got him right back in position. Excellent shot.

It was so painful to see he didn't get high on the last red which ruined it. It was a bad shot because it was always better to be too high than be too low. It was only a matter of 3 or 4 inch's to be able to comfortably get on the black. Mind you his rest shot to take the black at that distance and that acute angle was almost unbelievable. By that stage he lost it and missed the yellow by a mile. What a pity, it would have made for a notable 147th 147.

Ding's wouldn't have been half as entertaining without all the drama at the end :pac:

It's going to be hard for anyone to ever top this 147:

Ding's wouldn't have been half as entertaining without all the drama at the end :pac:

It's going to be hard for anyone to ever top this 147:

He had a faster one at an exhibition in 2017. The video is online somewhere. He makes it look so easy it discusts me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Honourable mention to James Wattana, who made a Maximum in the 1992 British Open that was clocked at 7 minutes and 9 seconds. I think it was the day he found out his father had died back in Thailand if I recall correctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Wattana

There is a video of it, quality not the best:

The commentators John Pullman and Dennis shut up at 88 and don't say another word. Different today.

Advertisement