Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Elektra

An early entry from Marvel before it became the juggernaut we know. I can see why this didn't get a sequel, it's quite serious compared to the franchise's more recent offerings. I did like how it was aggressively focused on its titular character, but in a way it felt pretty 'basic', hard to explain fully what I mean and some of the close up fighting was a little chaotic to follow, early on. The Big Bad was pretty bland too. Basically, just fairly average (or dips lower than that) is the best thing you can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Elektra

An early entry from Marvel before it became the juggernaut we know. I can see why this didn't get a sequel, it's quite serious compared to the franchise's more recent offerings. I did like how it was aggressively focused on its titular character, but in a way it felt pretty 'basic', hard to explain fully what I mean and some of the close up fighting was a little chaotic to follow, early on. The Big Bad was pretty bland too. Basically, just fairly average (or dips lower than that) is the best thing you can say.

Pretty sure that this wasn't Marvel Studio's and is not part of the MCU. It was a spin-off of the Ben Affleck Daredevil movie by Fox (X-Men, Fantastic 4, Deadpool). Not sure what the story is these days - it's all so convoluted although I guess Marvel Studios are slowly getting the rights to all of the Marvel characters - they have Spiderman already and I believe they are getting the X-Men characters next.

Actually hold on - the Daredevil TV show was MCU right, and that had Elektra. So I guess Marvel Studios have those characters already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

budgemook wrote: »
    Pretty sure that this wasn't Marvel Studio's and is not part of the MCU. It was a spin-off of the Ben Affleck Daredevil movie by Fox (X-Men, Fantastic 4, Deadpool). Not sure what the story is these days - it's all so convoluted although I guess Marvel Studios are slowly getting the rights to all of the Marvel characters - they have Spiderman already and I believe they are getting the X-Men characters next.

Actually hold on - the Daredevil TV show was MCU right, and that had Elektra. So I guess Marvel Studios have those characters already.

The MCU has the rights to the X-Men characters now - they will be introduced over the next few years.

I don't think the Marvel characters like Daredevil\Electra\Iron Fist which were born in their Netflix shows will be brought across into the MCU - not in their current iterations anyway. Everyone would love to see Charlie Cox being announced as the actual DareDevil though - but it is unlikely....Kevin Feige (MCU head honco) likes to build his own versions of the Marvel superheroes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Be warned, this starts off really slowly. But once it gets into it, it's gripping.

Also it's not for the faint hearted. If you are squeamish you may want to reconsider watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the disaster artist

really enjoyed it , james franco plays a complete oddball in a very warm and generous fashion , very akin to johnny depp in ed wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the disaster artist

really enjoyed it , james franco plays a complete oddball in a very warm and generous fashion , very akin to johnny depp in ed wood

You know that this movie is based on the making of the film "The Room"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You know that this movie is based on the making of the film "The Room"?

Yes, I did know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

The Borderlands 2013

Fantastic stuff this, British folk horror film concerning strange goings on in a remote rural church in England where a team of Vatican investigators are sent to document what is going on. Film is done in a sort of found footage vein like "Blair Witch Project" and is just as good if not better than it. People complain about certain aspects of this but at the same time the whole thing is dripping with disturbing symbolic storytelling of an occult nature that the nit picking can be well overlooked. Just really really good modern folk horror craic with very good characters and intelligent writing even though the thing is done on a shoestring budget it actually makes the thing even better, like some digital play or something, the editing is brilliant. I watched it for 3 euros on the youtubes but will definitely buy a DVD copy, blu ray doesn't exist for it I think.
    Highly recommend 9/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just watched Nebraska (2013), dir. Alexander Payne, who has to be my favourite director of this century so far. It's the only one of his films where he wasn't heavily involved in writing the story, and I think it shows: it's a story that only makes sense in the USA, where driving a car is not just a way of getting around, but a rite of passage, a mark of a person's independence. His other films have a more "universal" quality to them, I think e.g. Election or Sideways could work in other countries too.

(Spoilers ahead.) At the very beginning, Woody (Bruce Dern) is walking on the street: that's not something "normal" people do in the USA (outside New York), it's something that attracts the attention of the police. We learn that Woody was walking because he's lost his driving license due to his age and failing health. The story is about Woody struggling with his loss of independence, raging against his narrowing horizons, and the effect this has on his wife and sons in particular. So the ending is simple and poetic, a fitting coda, as long as you remember how important driving is to the American psyche.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched Teen Titans Go To The Movies on Now TV earlier. I have no knowledge of Teen Titans Go, other than knowing it's an animated show that exists, but I must say this is the funniest film I've seen in a long time.

The basic premise is that Robin is sick of all the Super Heroes getting their own films and wants one made about himself, so sets out to find an arch nemesis so Hollywood will make a film about him.

It's only 85 minutes long and the pace is frantic but I laughed so much and they really poke fun of other DC properties, especially the films, and there's a singing tiger voiced by Michael Bolton. It's undoubtedly not for everyone but it's really lightened my mood after a rough week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched Teen Titans Go To The Movies on Now TV earlier. I have no knowledge of Teen Titans Go, other than knowing it's an animated show that exists, but I must say this is the funniest film I've seen in a long time.

The basic premise is that Robin is sick of all the Super Heroes getting their own films and wants one made about himself, so sets out to find an arch nemesis so Hollywood will make a film about him.

It's only 85 minutes long and the pace is frantic but I laughed so much and they really poke fun of other DC properties, especially the films, and there's a singing tiger voiced by Michael Bolton. It's undoubtedly not for everyone but it's really lightened my mood after a rough week.

If you liked the movie there is a tv series that's in its 6th season now, which has a similarly raucus and whimsical sense of humour and fun to it. Netflix has several seasons of it, and I think it's on Sky as well but could be wrong.

Fysh wrote: »
    If you liked the movie there is a tv series that's in its 6th season now, which has a similarly raucus and whimsical sense of humour and fun to it. Netflix has several seasons of it, and I think it's on Sky as well but could be wrong.

Yeah, Netflix says it has 5 seasons but sometimes with cartoons they don't have all the episodes. I doubt that would matter with something like this.
    I looked them up and there was a Teen Titans series back in the early 2000s, which I do actually remember but these ones seem to be a new version.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, Netflix says it has 5 seasons but sometimes with cartoons they don't have all the episodes. I doubt that would matter with something like this.
    I looked them up and there was a Teen Titans series back in the early 2000s, which I do actually remember but these ones seem to be a new version.

Teen Titans Go! is very much a goofball comedy version, whereas the previous iteration was a more straightforward dramatic adventure show. TTG! episodes are only 10 minutes long and for the most part there's no continuity - occasionally there's are multi-part episodes or callbacks to previous episodes, but nothing where you particularly need to watch them in order. There's also a direct-to-DVD sequel movie called Teen Titans vs Teen Titans Go! which is not quite as good as Go To The Movies but still pretty entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And Teen Titans Go to the movies had a post credits scene
    where the original Teen Titans appear
    But yeah the Teen Titans Go film was really fun. Nicolas Cage finally got to play Superman.
    Slaaaade

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And Teen Titans Go to the movies had a post credits scene
    where the original Teen Titans appear
    But yeah the Teen Titans Go film was really fun. Nicolas Cage finally got to play Superman.
    Slaaaade

Yes, I was wondering about the post credits scene but given it's a couple of years old now I'm guessing nothing came of it?

EDIT: Oh wait, it was the sequel, wasn't it.

I watched Dave Made A Maze tonight having picked up the blu-ray a few weeks back. It's an odd film, and in the opening 15-20 minutes leans a bit too hard on what might uncharitably be called Portland hipster bingo, but once the characters get into the titular maze the film's weird charm comes to the foreground and earns its keep. The visual inventiveness keeps things engaging (which, for a film set largely inside a cardboard maze, is not necessarily a given) and the script makes space to distinguish each of the characters and develop their personalities. If you want a one-line pitch, think "what if Cube, but as a quirky indie comedy?".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

MV5BNTEzY2EwNjUtYjc1Mi00OWZlLTgxZjktZWEwMTVhYzAxMzFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjgzMjQ0MTA@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

slow but very enjoyable

99 Homes was on TV last night. I just can't take Andrew Garfield seriously in almost any role and this one was no different. In any scene where he is smoking, for example, he looks like a 13 year old who never smoked before trying to pretend he's a smoker in front of his mates. The film was okay I guess - a pretty sad storyline and a solid performance from Michael Shannon as usual. I'd give it about 6/10.

The Standoff at Sparrow Creek 2018

Very good. Tense affair about a bunch of rural American heavily armed militia men held up in their lair for a night trying to discover which one of them is responsible for a armed assault on a local policeman's funeral. It's been described as a modern "Reservoir Dogs" type thing due to the confined set-up these boys find themselves in, but the film ts done more in a sort of Michael Mann vein than Tarantino, gritty and realistic but the film isn't overbearing as it just lasts the hour and a half in length and suits it fine. Hints of John Carpenters "Assault on Precinct 13" are there too. Great cast, very enjoyable tense craic. On the youtubes to buy for 4 euros or that. 8/10

Colour out of Space 2019

This thing is brilliant. Adapted from a short story by master H. P. Lovecraft, the whole thing is dripping with hidden elements you would expect from a story written by a master of the occult anyways, but its just so refreshing to see it executed with the same effect on the screen for a modern motion picture. Family with a fairly feiced up dynamic live out in the woods and the whole thing goes pear shaped. It's sold as a "meteroite from outer space lands in the family garden and the alien lifeforms from it take over" but it is way way more than just simply that.
    The whole family dynamic is twisted, plus you have the teenage daughter fancying herself as some make of witch, casting spells and summoning who knows what out in the woods, woods the locals describe as some sort of "ancient evil exists", the daughter has no clue what she is doing, casting spells to protect the family, next thing the family is completely destroyed
    Brilliant layers of storytelling and execution for a modern horror film. Some parts are very disturbing. Loved it. youtube rental for 4 euros 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I watched Color out of Space recently and thought it was quite excellent as well. All parts wacky/disturbing/hilarious/questioning in the best way possible. I didn't want to hope for too much, but it was very solid. Easily an 8/10.

Watched Extraction on Netflix too. Didn't expect anything.....and in fairness not much was delivered but it's a passable way to spend 2 hours if you've got a hankering for mindless violence punctuated with a minimalist plot you've seen 100 times before. At best a 6/10, but that's not an entirely negative thing, it's really just overwhelmingly "been there, done that" with nothing memorable or unique about it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women Dir Angela Robinson (2017)

A glossy bio about the origins of the Wonder Woman character and the two women who help inspire it's creation. Hard to take this too seriously as it's a very Hollywood telling of a story with the emphasis on moody lighting, handsome actors and far too much flipping polyfila muzak but it passes the time well enough if you're willing to suspend disbelief. The artifice is highlighted in dramatic fashion during the end credits when we see photos of the real life trio of Marston, his wife Elizabeth and their partner Olive - looking dumpy, frumpy and middle aged in their 40s clothing.

wonderwoman.018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"A Study in Terror" (1965) on YouTube

A harmless telling of the Sherlock Holmes story of interest chiefly for its cast which included Barbara Windsor, Robert Morley, Anthony Quayle, and Judi Dench.

Sherlock Holmes tracks down Jack the Ripper and despite a very messy outcome is delighted with himself. 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Burning

Very engaging drama from South Korea. A young couple get involved with a mysterious rich guy and get drawn into his glamorous party lifestyle. It soon becomes apparent that the rich kid has some dark secrets.

It’s a slow enough movie but the story gradually reveals itself. The viewer is never sure who to trust and all the characters seem to be hiding something. The mystery and sense of unease increase as the film goes on and I thought the cinematography was stunning. Really draws you in.

Yet another South Korean film to marvel at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Grapes of Wrath on Blu-Ray; it's a brilliant Henry Fonda movie

branie2 wrote: »
    The Grapes of Wrath on Blu-Ray; it's a brilliant Henry Fonda movie

I've always avoided watching this due to the differences from the book that I read about. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Rush – Jennifer Jason Leigh & Jason Patric go deep undercover trying to bust a major dealer. Pretty solid film bar the cheesy blues score supplied by Clapton.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gemini Man (2019)

Cloned spy action movie starring Will Smith. This one started off fairly well but got stupider and stupider as it went on. Much like The Irishman, the digital de-aging effects on Will Smith were a mixed bag. In some scenes they looked good, in others they went full uncanny valley. Many of the other action effects looked like a computer game and the ending was corny as hell. I was surprised to see "directed by Ang Lee" pop up in the credits. 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Night of the Big Heat" (1967)

big-heat-montage-1.jpg

On YouTube: a low budget (?) British Sci-Fi movie with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

An offshore British island swelters in an unnatural heatwave while mysterious scientist Christopher Lee investigates alien landings.

Only for diehard Sci-Fi enthusiasts or connoisseurs of really bad movies - best remembered for the really low budget aliens who only put in an appearance in the last few minutes of the movie. 2/10

Searching For Sugar Man (2012)

Was in to this up to a point then it just became way way too shmaltzy for my liking. Can see how a lot of people like it but
    its just an example how the modern age hates leaving anything to mystery, unable to enjoy leaving anything to the legend, where instead everything has to be investigated and solved. The film was good up until the point nobody knew who this guy was or even if he was alive, then they find out who he is, they drag out his whole family and the whole thing just turns into a hour long forced weepy fest,
    and I was dying to turn it off 3/10

Killing Them Softly (2012)

Treated myself to an other watch of this and it never fails to deliver. Just dripping with brilliance, from the dialogue, the absolute state of the place, the characters of the criminal underworld who are not glorified but depicted as how their life really is, absolute over the shoulder looking, smalltime awfulness . The parralels with some of the main crooks and the politicians that you hear over the background is just really brilliant. If anyone hasnt seen this do yourself a massive favour and watch it. 9/10

Stalker (1979)

Another one from the collection I treated myself to. Not a lot needs to be said about this only that its probably in my opinion, the greatest motion picture ever made. Just great to sit back and sink into and let the whole thing bring you where it brings you. If you can get the Criterion Collection blu ray cut and watch on a big screen with good sound its just totally on another magickal level altogether. 10/10

The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford (2007)

This was just barely alright, brilliantly shot but the character development leaves a lot to be desired. And the characters sort of matter in this story but there is no real, in depth look at any of these lads. Its as if you are just expected to know all about the history and the main players from the get go and that will do ya. Tries its best but its just very bland and no amount of nice shots of wheat meadows waving in the breeze with all the lovely colours and Brad Pitt looking seriously into the horizon will make it any better. Watched it because of the fact same people did "Killing them Softly" but the two works are poles apart from each other in quality. 4/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Two quick recommendations (cos I'm off to bed)...

'Little Joe'

Odd Brit film about a plant specialist that has created a flower that can influence human emotions. Things don't go too well. A good...ahem..."little" film with a quirky slant that's all too absent from movies these days. It's very low key, subtle, but quite effective tale, with a good performance from the lead, Emily Beecham and good support from Ben Whishaw and Kerry Fox, who I haven't seen in anything since 'Shallow Ground'.

Be advised that there are tremendously irritating sound effects throughout the picture though, which while they're there on purpose to create unease, ended just just annoying me. Besides that, I can't really fault it.

9/10

'The Color out of Space'

Ostensibly an H.P. Lovecraft story made into film, but like nearly every Lovecraft tale that's hit the screen, the only thing it really has in common with the great man is it's name. Despite this, it's a rather entertaining effort (despite the modern setting), with decent performances...even from the "fall from Hollywood grace", Nicholas Cage, sticks in a good shift and keeps the madness down to a manageable level.

Surprisingly entertaining.

8/10

Advertisement