Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

yep it was pretty dire alright , thought it was just me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BK usually puts me off wanting to watch anything with him in it.

Can't warm to the lad at all.
    Did I miss the performance he gave that turned him into a superstar?
    Cos everything I have seen him in, he's nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

NIMAN wrote: »
    BK usually puts me off wanting to watch anything with him in it.

Can't warm to the lad at all.
    Did I miss the performance he gave that turned him into a superstar?
    Cos everything I have seen him in, he's nothing special.

Suspect there's a lot of cat haters in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Vicky Cristina Barcelona on Blu-ray

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Last Thing He Wanted

Recent Netflix picture that, whilst I could see what it was trying to do, didn't appear to know its arse from its elbow.

Firewall

Mid 2000s thing with Harrison Ford and a few other known faces. Don't think it even reaches the level of solid and I wouldn't blame you for falling asleep towards the end. Unsatisfactory.

• Advertisement

Fish Tank 2009 This is about a 15 year old girl from a council estate in the chaviest of the chav estates in England. Her Mum is a single Mum, and a wretched one at that and Michael Fassbender is the new boyfriend coming round who strikes up a strange relationship the the girl.
    This is a very powerful piece of work, getting into the mind of a 15 year old girl growing up in those circumstances. It brutal, and scary and incredibly real. Some scenes are so simple, but just perfect. A very exceptional piece of work that is engaging and well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Fish Tank 2009 This is about a 15 year old girl from a council estate in the chaviest of the chav estates in England. Her Mum is a single Mum, and a wretched one at that and Michael Fassbender is the new boyfriend coming round who strikes up a strange relationship the the girl.
    This is a very powerful piece of work, getting into the mind of a 15 year old girl growing up in those circumstances. It brutal, and scary and incredibly real. Some scenes are so simple, but just perfect. A very exceptional piece of work that is engaging and well worth a watch.
    Love this film; simple, yet powerful, with great performances all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Love this film; simple, yet powerful, with great performances all round.

+1. Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched Solo for the 2nd time the other night, having seen it in the cinema.

I'd say probably the weakest of all the Star Wars films of the last decade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i actually thought it was one of the more entertaining ones, of all the sh itty new ones which have come out since the original 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's definitely a meh effort and probably a film that should have been struck off before the camera even rolled.

But I'd take it over any of the prequels/sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Fish Tank 2009
    Have seen it at the cinema when it came out.
    Very strong movie, not an easy watch though.

If you liked that, you should check out Andrea Arnold's previous effort, 'Red Road'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

12 Strong

After 9/11 a US special forces team are inserted into Afghanistan to hook up with the local fighters and tackle the Taliban

The Afghani fighters are brave but constantly fight among themselves so diplomacy is needed.

Some of the fighting scenes are spectacular such as the cavalry charge but this film felt very average to me.

Rambo-like body counts as a US solider can charge into action and shoot 30 enemies without a scratch.

The loyal comrade with the wife and child at home gets grievously wounded and is told to hang on and not die :( Most every war movie has this guy

I give it 2/5. Great for a bit of light entertainment but very forgettable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Edge of Tomorrow

Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt

Humans must fight off alien invaders but it's much more than a simple Independence day plot line

The main character must repeat each day and learn how to destroy the main alien. Sort of like a computer game in how it works

My writeup and this post sucks but this movie didn't. I loved it - 4.5/5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A Private War

This is probably the strongest piece I've watched recently, both in Pike's performance and the film itself, though still 3/5. War correspondent Marie Colvin is formidable journalist, relentless. It captures this both in her work and personal life - a drinker, PTSD and her core character too. The film doesn't seem terribly interested in making an overt political statement, despite its sobering nature. It very much escalates as we move from Afghanistan and Iraq to Syria. Syria is particularly difficult, the scene with the child, the intensity of the bombing. Assad is butcher and a monster.
    I wasn't aware of her, I must admit, and ultimately the film's end is no surprise - the location/date stamps mean you know we're building to something tragic. A real loss to journalism, let more of them make governments uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Logan

Hadn’t watched it in years but it’s been on my mind to revisit for awhile now.

My long lasting memory from it has always been “beautifully horrible and a difficult watch” because I’ve loved watching the main characters in the movie in the X men franchise and I was invested in their welfare from the first minute of the movie.

I find this movie heartbreaking and possibly the best comicbook movie made ever, certainly up there. Feels like a movie that could be watched on its own (would love to know how people unfamiliar with x men franchise found it as a one off).

The basic premise is that Logan and Professor X are hiding out from authorities for reasons that are only revealed as the story unfolds. There’s some twists along the way but what makes this movie so special (asides from being an adult movie for adults who would of grown up watching Jackmans wolverine) is that the entire movie is about the characters. And it ends with one of the most beautiful lines that really resonate “
    so that’s how that feels
    ”For anybody family with the painful struggles of
    Logan’s
    life, it’s just a heartbreaking moment for numerous reasons. Honestly, I can’t think of too many other moments in a movie that had me with dust in my eyes long after the credits have rolled.

A film for the ages

10/10

The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima on Wednesday, as it was the feast of Our Lady of Fatima that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭playonplayette

See No Evil, Hear No Evil

I'd heard of it for years and thought it was a horror. Old school comedy and dated but still had a few laughs. I really enjoyed it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Today was my first time discovering this thread and I was all excited to discuss 3D movies which are best viewed in VR (some would claim that's a gimmick also ;)),
    only to read further into the OP and realise that the title was a parody!

Damn you Johnny Ultimate, as you can see from my avatar I had my 3D glasses ready and all! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

So go make that thread. Hopefully, it'll be an interesting discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Doge wrote: »
    Today was my first time discovering this thread and I was all excited to discuss 3D movies which are best viewed in VR (some would claim that's a gimmick also ;)),
    only to read further into the OP and realise that the title was a parody!

Damn you Johnny Ultimate, as you can see from my avatar I had my 3D glasses ready and all! :(

I thought it was that too.

*spoilers*

'Vivarium'

Lorcan Finnegan's film seems to be largely a Marmite experience for a lot of viewers. Many people have simply rejected it due to it's surrealist nature and sheer lack of answers that some of it's audience appear to have wanted. But 'Vivarium' isn't a film that will give you any answers and that's probably one of its strengths, because any answer it could have come up with would have been deeply unsatisfying, more than likely.

Without going into too much depth, the film deals with a young couple, Tom (Jessie Eisenberg) and Gemma (Imogen Poots), who are interested in seeking a new home. They head to an estate agents, where they are greeted by the toe curlingly creepy Martin (Jonathan Aris) who fills them up with bland agency patter and tells them that he has homes available in an estate called Yonder, which is both "near enough" and "far enough" and Tom and Gemma agree to accompany him to a viewing.

Yonder turns out to be a, literal, maze of identikit green houses against the backdrop of a Rene Magritte sky and is immediately uncomfortable in its blandness and uniformity. Tom and Gemma are shown around by Martin who subsequently disappears during the viewing, leaving the couple to try an escape from the estate, which they find impossible to do.

One could take 'Vivarium' as a commentary on the trappings of social norms and the labels that we place upon ourselves and have placed upon us. Tom and Gemma are a normal young couple at the beginning of the film, they are "unmarried" and therefore "boyfriend" and "girlfriend". They are looking to buy a "home", but end up trapped in a "property" that they don't want. They are presented with a child, who expects them to act as "parents" to it, and become "mother" and "father". Tom and Gemma continually reject their new labels, but also continue to act according to them, by feeding the child, who's growth is accelerated by a considerable amount. The "boy" is a source of constant torment and at times, outright scary, and Tom refers to him only as "it". The "boy" grows up quickly and becomes a "man", informing his reluctant "mother" that her role was to prepare her "son" for the world. This "man" then leaves Yonder to replace Martin, who we see dying in his "job" in the Estate Agents office and, presumably, the cycle starts over as a new couple enter.

Elsewhere 'Vivarium' also appears to be commenting on other aspects of modern life. Tom's labours every day involve "working" himself into his own grave, which he dutifully digs in the front garden and everything Tom and Gemma need is delivered to their house in boxed packaging. All that's missing from them is the Amazon logo on the side. Tom and Gemma surrender themselves to routine and their house has all the mod cons that they need, but they miss the simple and natural things like taste, smell and the wind.

Whatever 'Vivarium' is trying to say may depend on what the viewer takes to and away from it themselves. There's no conventional story or plot and base logic doesn't really apply, as like with most surrealist exercises, the mundane is placed next to the extraordinary to produce odd results. It's a very creepy, but hypnotic film that draws you in from the opening and leaves you with many thoughts at its end.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I had high hopes for Vivarium as I have enjoyed Lorcan Finnegan’s previous stuff but I really took a dislike to it.

This was a tough watch, too bleak for my tastes. Right from the opening footage of a cuckoo taking over another birds nest to
    that brutal, hopeless ending, it’s a nightmare vision without relief.

If this is Finnegan’s response to being in his thirties and the horrors of house buying and starting a family, what’s his mid-life crisis movie going to be like???

Decuc500 wrote: »
    If this is Finnegan’s response to being in his thirties and the horrors of house buying and starting a family, what’s his mid-life crisis movie going to be like???

The Mrs. said pretty much the same thing. :D

On it's ending, I think if it had ended any other way, I would have found that disappointing TBH. The whole film is designed to be uncomfortable, so a happy ending would have felt out of place.

I haven't seen any of Finnegan's other stuff before and I avoided anything to do with 'Vivarium'. So I went in not knowing much about it, other than it had either love it or hate it feedback, which I supposed piqued my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Neon Demon.

Weird movie and I dont know what it was about or why i liked it but I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

This is really suberb. An absolute must watch for fans of kitchen sink.

Some director Andrea Arnold's other work worth checking out includes Red Road and American Honey

Re American Honey, I was a bit sceptical about how the kitchen sink style would translate to an American setting. It did, very effectively.

Trainspotting on Blu-Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

This is really suberb. An absolute must watch for fans of kitchen sink.

Some director Andrea Arnold's other work worth checking out includes Red Road and American Honey

Re American Honey, I was a bit sceptical about how the kitchen sink style would translate to an American setting. It did, very effectively.

+1 on Red Road.
    I believe it is a movie shot with the Dogma rules, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Avengers Endgame was pretty cool in 3d on PSVR
    8^)

I've terminator 2 3d on the way. Hopefully good.

Advertisement