Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating someone with different beliefs

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I could never date anyone who was either a flat earther or a Trump Fan, because I could never date someone that deluded and stupid. And in case of the Trumpers, hateful. And I'd have more tolerance towards flat earthers.
    A girl at work is a Jehovah's, I'd say with a bit of work that brainwashing could be reversed. But I wouldn't want to spend years trying to turn her round.
    But basically, I could not be with someone who holds onto irrational and deluded believes that are proven to be nonsense.
    My ex believes that the CIA is spying on her via men in dark suits, her laptop and black helicopters. She also swallows anything coming from that shower of nutters, project Camelot. There is a reason she is my ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When myself and partner first met we were both leftists.

I was hardcore at the time. Part of every leftist movement in UL.

About a year into our relationship I did a complete Uturn and became a conservative. See once I left colllege and had to work for a living I changed .

The final seal happened when we had our boy together.

She's a great mum, but she doesn't earn a crust, she has a useleless HPSS Degree from UL.

I'll support them because thats my job.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

So that rules right-wingers out anyway.

I read that as right mingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

having oposite opinions on the smaller stuff is ok and can be worked around..
    but i think you need to be somewhat close on the larger stuff like
    religion
    extreme left/ right
    femainism extreme nonscense
    pineapple on pizza etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Different beliefs like I prefer beef over chicken - fine.

I don't think those actively practicing different religions are the best of mixes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Assuming dating has a purpose (to establish long term partnership) - I have some bias-es that can be summarized with ... has to be high IQ Caucasian.

Then, I need to feel safe in all my close relationships.

But ... I am OK with different political/religion views, music/style preference, as long as I can keep my independence; diversity would inspire me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Most Irish people don't really have clearly defined beliefs, just a vague mix of pragmatic non ideological centrism with common sense and lapsed catholicism.

That describes pretty much every girl I've dated and most people I know. Irish politics reflects this. Us freaks discussing policy on the Internet are very much in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

mvl wrote: »
    has to be high IQ Caucasian.

Jesus, I certainly didn't see the thread going in this direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I can cope with anything except veganism

At least they’d be too tired to argue with you

• Advertisement

RWCNT wrote: »

This is not a direction, as I don't hope to set a trend.
    You're asking strangers about who would they share their life with. This is the shortest definition of my biases // I know for sure inter-racial wouldn't work for my personal life, and I get inspired by smart brains.

- In my public life I am cool with every race/level of intelligence - so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I couldn’t date someone who supported Manchester United, or who doesn’t eat cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I couldn’t date someone who supported Manchester United, or who doesn’t eat cheese.
    Now that there not winning all the time I would of thought dating a man u fan would be great.
    My gf is religious and I'm not, makes for far better conversations than if were the same. Different opinions on big issues are great as long as there'd respect on both sides.. but that sadly means I have to accept she watched a lot of garbage on tv

mvl wrote: »
    This is not a direction, as I don't hope to set a trend.
    You're asking strangers about who would they share their life with. This is the shortest definition of my biases // I know for sure inter-racial wouldn't work for my personal life, and I get inspired by smart brains.

- In my public life I am cool with every race/level of intelligence - so all good.

I asked about dating someone with different beliefs, I wasn't aware that one's race was a belief. Would you be so kind as to explain why inter-racial wouldn't work for your personal life? Im very curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think they’re any more unreasonable criteria than any of the other criteria listed by anyone here to be fair. They’re likely to share the same educational background and ethnic experiences, and have far more in common with each other than they wouldn’t.

For myself it wouldn’t make me feel insecure or uncomfortable if someone were of higher intelligence and more intellectual than I am (wouldn’t be hard, to be fair, just means I have a bigger potential dating pool than most :D). I wouldn’t have any immediate issue with dating someone of another ethnic or socioeconomic background, as long as it was just dating and not the idea of getting into any sort of a serious relationship.

With regard to different beliefs and attitudes and so on, what would be more important to me is their attitudes towards other people. I make no secret of the fact that I’m immediately very judgemental of other people, but judgemental in the sense that I would either view certain things as either positive or negative. I wouldn’t want to date someone who shares my beliefs because I myself am generally curious about other people’s beliefs and attitudes. I prefer to be with people who are the complete opposite to me, but tend to have an irreverent sense of humour and don’t take everything too seriously.

Certainly I wouldn’t date anyone who would take everything I say seriously, it’d be tiresome and exhausting having to explain myself every time they didn’t get the joke :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

Me and my love often argue on economics, fiscal policies etc. They get very heated on these topics it can be exhausting. Especially given that they're broke all the time.
    Yeah, my love has got no money, he's got his strong beliefs. I still want more and more though from the relationship, and it's freed me from desiring other prospective suitors.

I asked about dating someone with different beliefs, I wasn't aware that one's race was a belief. Would you be so kind as to explain why inter-racial wouldn't work for your personal life? Im very curious.

I was not saying it is. I was meaning to say I have other bias-es when dating. Different race doesn't do it for me: I haven't figured out what triggers me being attracted or not to someone // maybe it is how they say we are attracted to ppl who physically remind us of our early caregivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I know a lady in London of mixed Caribbean/ Malaysian heritage who told me she wouldn't date a white person and preferred prospective partners to be fairly well off.

Such personal preferences are not unusual to any particular group imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, my love has got no money, he's got his strong beliefs.

FREED FROM DESIRE,
    MIND AND SENSES PURIFIED,
    FREED FROM DESIRE,
    MIND AND SENSES PUR--

sorry. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Opinions are just opinions.

The only way it would be an issue for me is if it made them genuinely different to me in personality, like not having a social conscience or personally treating other people like cnuts.

If you're going around thinking it's a deal breaker with an otherwise decent attractive person because they believe n God or agree with water charges, it's a bit pathetic.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    I know a lady in London of mixed Caribbean/ Malaysian heritage who told me she wouldn't date a white person and preferred prospective partners to be fairly well off.

Such personal preferences are not unusual to any particular group imo

I never said they were and Id be equally as interested in her reasons as the poster who I queried.

This isn't really what I was after in the thread though, we all have preferences in terms of who we pair up with but I'm more interested in people with different beliefs in romantic relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Opinions are just opinions.

The only way it would be an issue for me is if it made them genuinely different to me in personality, like not having a social conscience or personally treating other people like cnuts.

If you're going around thinking it's a deal breaker with an otherwise decent attractive person because they believe n God or agree with water charges, it's a bit pathetic.

Good point.

It's the people that don't try to engage in proper debate, they just label you because of your views that I avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I'd struggle to date anyone who isn't a decent person and doesn't have a good sense of humour. So that rules right-wingers out anyway.

It rules out the fun police, moral abitrators, "remove that word because I don't like it", permaprotest "I'm so liberal and progressive and I'm going to be sure to tell you", people who use words like "problematic", "intersectional","cis","heteronormative" type more than anybody else if that's your policy. Nobody likes those people, they aren't decent folk whatsoever, and they certainly don't have a sense of humour.

ligerdub wrote: »
    It rules out the fun police, moral abitrators, "remove that word because I don't like it", permaprotest "I'm so liberal and progressive and I'm going to be sure to tell you", people who use words like "problematic", "intersectional","cis","heteronormative" type more than anybody else if that's your policy. Nobody likes those people, they aren't decent folk whatsoever, and they certainly don't have a sense of humour.

Plot twist - You and Yer Da end up dating, falling in love and raising a gang of kids. Half of them look like you and are anti-SJWs and the other half look like Yer Da and are lefties. Like how when Kermit and Ms Piggy had both frog and piglet children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I noticed most people didn’t mention class but class is a major reason for not dating someone. Statistically.

Also jobs. Teachers marry teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I'd struggle to date anyone who isn't a decent person and doesn't have a good sense of humour. So that rules right-wingers out anyway.

All the humour is on the left these days, it’s true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wouldn't date a feminist.

Advertisement