Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin’s traffic it’s a two part problem.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cgcsb wrote: »
    So what do you want transport policy to be? the present one doesn't work.

Invest in the outer ring road to lighten the burden on the M50 , ease planning on commercial buildings surrounding that outer ring road to encourage working outside the city, increase building heights dramatically in the city , focus on elevated rail / non road based/interfering public transport, increase the number of loading bays to kerb vans obstructing traffic being on double yellows, commit to no further reduction of parking spaces in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Invest in the outer ring road to lighten the burden on the M50 , ease planning on commercial buildings surrounding that outer ring road to encourage working outside the city, increase building heights dramatically in the city , focus on elevated rail / non road based/interfering public transport, increase the number of loading bays to kerb vans obstructing traffic being on double yellows, commit to no further reduction of parking spaces in dublin.

I’d hate to live in your vision of Dublin. Sounds horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That'd result in an increase in car commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That sounds horrific. People don't want to work in soulless business parks on the outside of the city. They want to work in the city where you can go for a stroll during lunch, go grab lunch somewhere, go for a sneaky pint after work.

What you've described is basically an American hellhole where people live to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I live in Meath and commute 70km each way to work in Dublin.
    If public transport was free I would not take it. I'd have to get a Bus Eireann bus to the city centre, then a dublin bus from the city centre to work, doubling my commute time each way.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    That sounds horrific. People don't want to work in soulless business parks on the outside of the city. They want to work in the city where you can go for a stroll during lunch, go grab lunch somewhere, go for a sneaky pint after work.

What you've described is basically an American hellhole where people live to work.
    Plenty of people work in that type of location now. Myself included.

The funny thing is that free enterprise will set up those businesses, (eg restaurants, gyms, pub etc) near the business parks.

Generally I get through 10000 steps a day mostly in walks around the area, in a park etc.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Plenty of people work in that type of location now. Myself included.

The funny thing is that free enterprise will set up those businesses, (eg restaurants, gyms, pub etc) near the business parks.

Generally I get through 10000 steps a day mostly in walks around the area, in a park etc.

Guess I'm just an extreme urbanite in that case!

If public transport was free I would not take it. I'd have to get a Bus Eireann bus to the city centre, then a dublin bus from the city centre to work, doubling my commute time each way.

But with widescale car bans and bus priority your bus commute would shorten significantly.

Office development over time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMz_ZG6m5K8

But with widescale car bans and bus priority your bus commute would shorten significantly.

I have a 20 minute walk to the bus station, then a 1 hour bus journey to City Centre, then another unidentified walk to a bus stop to get a 45 minute bus to work.

70km on the motorway takes me less than 50 minutes usually.

There's a long way to go before they are time equal even excluding the cost of the hassle of public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's a brilliant transport policy, if you just put NOT () around it.

I have a 20 minute walk to the bus station, then a 1 hour bus journey to City Centre, then another unidentified walk to a bus stop to get a 45 minute bus to work.

70km on the motorway takes me less than 50 minutes usually.

There's a long way to go before they are time equal even excluding the cost of the hassle of public transport.

Given that bus connects aims to roughly achieve centre to M50 bus journies of circa 30 minutes in peak times, I'd imagine the time will work out pretty well for buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Well that's one line of thinking that needs to go for a start. Let people go to work and go home, it's not a social day out and trying to mush people onto buses to cater for some idyllic movie version of a job is the furthest thing away from what needs to be done.

Given that bus connects aims to roughly achieve centre to M50 bus journies of circa 30 minutes in peak times, I'd imagine the time will work out pretty well for buses.
    So that's the centre to M50 reduced from 45 mins to 30.
    What about the 20 min walk, the 1 hour bus in, and the walk from the bus eireann bus to the dublin bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

This is the mentality you're dealing with.

Pay higher tax so you can drive to a car park miles from work, wait for a shuttle into town, then a walk or cycle to your job.

Where's the encouragement there??

So the encouragement comes from having a tax saver public transport ticket that works on ALL public transport, so that, in the case of hazlehatch p+r, you could use the train or bus to get to your destination. There would be minimal waiting, dedicated bus lanes for the bus and there is 4 tracks from hazlehatch to Heuston Station where the red line Luas interchange is.

Ah the outer ring road. How many billion will that cost? How long before it’s built? How many p+r’s could be built for that money? How do you plan on reducing carbon emissions from cars if we build an outer ring road?

The p+r plan removes traffic, and improves air quality around Dublin.
    The outer ring road removes traffic from Dublin until it gets clogged up with traffic again and we are back to square one. (And by the way it won’t really remove traffic from Dublin as you still have people that travel from maynooth to the cc, who would otherwise be hovered up by the p+r)

What area of the city do you work in? If there was a p+r at clonee with busses to the cc, that have minimal stops at interchange spots that have bus connects busses going through them, would that change your mind? If not why not?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Well that's one line of thinking that needs to go for a start. Let people go to work and go home, it's not a social day out and trying to mush people onto buses to cater for some idyllic movie version of a job is the furthest thing away from what needs to be done.

So dystopian capitalistic, work, sleep, consume it is then? Be a good little lad and buy your car, buy your petrol that funds despotic regimes in the middle east. Be a good little cog in the machine and slave away making a rich man richer and get nothing in return.

Fcuk that noise

tom1ie wrote: »
    What area of the city do you work in? If there was a p+r at clonee with busses to the cc, that have minimal stops at interchange spots that have bus connects busses going through them, would that change your mind? If not why not?

North west Dublin.

P+R at clonee wouldnt make much difference as it's 30 mins from home to Clonee and 20 mins from Clonee to work, so if I've driven that far I'm driving the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As we are seeing clearly on this and other threads, some people choose to drive because they can't bear the thought of sitting beside a stranger.
    I agree some are. Most drive because they have to.
    Mystery666 wrote: »
    So the commute contains driving for 25 mins, taking 2 trains and a short walk afterwards.
    If you're lucky. Most people will have to get the train, followed by walking to get a bus. Waiting on a bus that's not full, getting said bus near their job, and walking some more.

My new job will be the following; 10 minute walk, 30 minute train ride, 20 minute walk, 40 minute bus ride. When I get a car, that entire commute will be 40 minutes.
    When you decided to live in a place inaccessible to public transport, you hardly did so thinking it'd always be cheap and easy to drive your vehicle into Dublin City Centre?
    "Only place able to afford, that's not a crime ridden cesspit" is usually what they're thinking of.
    The level crossings on the Maynooth line are to be closed, which will allow for better frequency. Perhaps additional tolls or congestion charging would encourage more to use it.
    Got a link to this? I'd say Kilmacredock residents will be happy about it. Although the Clonsilla crossing could be closed, I doubt the Coolmine crossing will be. If they both are, as well as the crossing at St Mochtas Football Club, that overpass near St Mochtas Football Club will see a doubling of traffic, and the roads near it will be hell.
    When you consider the 10s of thousands of people who join the N4 at the Lucan bypass heading inbound in the morning, is it really believable that these are mostly people with no alternatives.
    The further out you go, the less Dublin Bus reaches. There are no P+R facilities along the N4. Once you get on it, you have to keep driving.

=-=

The only way for Dublins transport issue to be fixed would be for multiple P+R facilities to be set up near all major M50 junctions, that are specifically for P+R, and that are manned by security. Anytime I'm at the LUAS stop at the Red Cow, I see scattered piles of car window glass. If you charge people a flat fee for the week, and 24/7 shuttle buses (maybe less frequent outside of core business hours) going into the city centre AND to the other P+R facilities, it'll cut down on the car traffic going into the city centre.

Once this is in effect, you can then start doing other P+R facilities further outside of the city.

Fining people from going into the city won't work without working P+R facilities.

• Advertisement

North west Dublin.

P+R at clonee wouldnt make much difference as it's 30 mins from home to Clonee and 20 mins from Clonee to work, so if I've driven that far I'm driving the rest.

So am I right in thinking you work in the corduff area? Or are you inside the m50?
    I’m just wondering as the drive to p+r can’t be changed. So your base time is 30 mins + whatever it’d be on pt. So if you had dedicated qbc’s on the n3 with interchanges along the way that’d surely be more attractive?

the_syco wrote: »
    I agree some are. Most drive because they have to.

If you're lucky. Most people will have to get the train, followed by walking to get a bus. Waiting on a bus that's not full, getting said bus near their job, and walking some more.

My new job will be the following; 10 minute walk, 30 minute train ride, 20 minute walk, 40 minute bus ride. When I get a car, that entire commute will be 40 minutes.

"Only place able to afford, that's not a crime ridden cesspit" is usually what they're thinking of.

Got a link to this? I'd say Kilmacredock residents will be happy about it. Although the Clonsilla crossing could be closed, I doubt the Coolmine crossing will be. If they both are, as well as the crossing at St Mochtas Football Club, that overpass near St Mochtas Football Club will see a doubling of traffic, and the roads near it will be hell.

The further out you go, the less Dublin Bus reaches. There are no P+R facilities along the N4. Once you get on it, you have to keep driving.

=-=

The only way for Dublins transport issue to be fixed would be for multiple P+R facilities to be set up near all major M50 junctions, that are specifically for P+R, and that are manned by security. Anytime I'm at the LUAS stop at the Red Cow, I see scattered piles of car window glass. If you charge people a flat fee for the week, and 24/7 shuttle buses (maybe less frequent outside of core business hours) going into the city centre AND to the other P+R facilities, it'll cut down on the car traffic going into the city centre.

Once this is in effect, you can then start doing other P+R facilities further outside of the city.

Fining people from going into the city won't work without working P+R facilities.

That's what people are proposing though

tom1ie wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking you work in the corduff area? Or are you inside the m50?
    I’m just wondering as the drive to p+r can’t be changed. So your base time is 30 mins + whatever it’d be on pt. So if you had dedicated qbc’s on the n3 with interchanges along the way that’d surely be more attractive?
    You're correct. My main base is in the corduff area, with some days at other offices.

And to answer your question, even if I got free bus transfers from Clonee to work I'd still skip the P+R and just drive to work.

So that's the centre to M50 reduced from 45 mins to 30.
    What about the 20 min walk, the 1 hour bus in, and the walk from the bus eireann bus to the dublin bus?

Without knowing the specifics of your commute, it's hard to tell what specific improvements busconnects will offer you.

You're correct. My main base is in the corduff area, with some days at other offices.

And to answer your question, even if I got free bus transfers from Clonee to work I'd still skip the P+R and just drive to work.

So you're not coming into Dublin City anyway??

So you're not coming into Dublin City anyway??
    Very few people will commute into dublin city centre.
    You're talking about those commuting to or past the m50 from commuter towns.
    Like the example earlier of commuting from Naas to Citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Patww79 wrote: »

So dystopian capitalistic, work, sleep, consume it is then? Be a good little lad and buy your car, buy your petrol that funds despotic regimes in the middle east. Be a good little cog in the machine and slave away making a rich man richer and get nothing in return.

Fcuk that noise
    https://goo.gl/images/HXoKNx

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

over 200,000 people cross the canal cordon every morning

212,000 people crossed the canals inward bound during the morning peak 07-10 in 2017. The highest number ever recorded.

Of these 29% made that journey by car, the lowest proportion of total crossings since counting began in the 1990s and a continuing downward trend is evident.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Canal_Cordon_Report_2017.pdf

less than 150,00 vehicles are counted between the N2 and N3 junctions on an AADT basis, i.e. the number of vehicles across the whole day in both directions. The same figure for Newlands X is only 101,000.

From this it's obvious the critical area is Dublin City Centre not peripheral areas, hence the area where transport policy will concentrate on reducing car usage. I don't think there'll be any serious policy measures aimed at discouraging Naas-Citywest trips in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

Reading this thread makes me want to pray for traffic to just get worse and worse. You deserve to sit in horrible traffic getting fat with your attitudes.

Advertisement