Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Band/Artist to ever play Waterford?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Right where Merlins was

Fat Sams was mid eighties until roughly the mid nineties. Remember being there the week before xmas 93 when the draw was being made for World Cup 94 drinking pints of cider, so it must have gone till 94 at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I was in the RTC 1989-1991. Saw a lot of soccer matches in Fat Sam's. Great days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    Where was that? First club I was in back in de day was Merlin's, that was the holy grale, you got in there your level of coolness went right up haha

It's where Sinnotts is now.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Fat Sams was mid eighties until roughly the mid nineties. Remember being there the week before xmas 93 when the draw was being made for World Cup 94 drinking pints of cider, so it must have gone till 94 at the very least.

Sept 1994: The roof, the roof, the roof is actually on fire.

The rest is history sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

gscully wrote: »
    Sept 1994: The roof, the roof, the roof is actually on fire.

The rest is history sadly.

And brendan o Carroll doing blind date in there too

• Advertisement

And brendan o Carroll doing blind date in there too

Thankfully I wasn't there for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/06/12/remembering-fleadh-mor/#.XwYP1ij0nIU

great read up on the 1993 Fleadh Mor festival which was held in Tramore. Amazing lineup but sadly didn't break even and never happened again. Typical Waterford reason for it failing 'ah im not paying that much for a ticket when i can hear it for free'

Was only 3 years old at the time so have a genuine reason why i couldn't go :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote: »

great read up on the 1993 Fleadh Mor festival which was held in Tramore. Amazing lineup but sadly didn't break even and never happened again. Typical Waterford reason for it failing 'ah im not paying that much for a ticket when i can hear it for free'

Was only 3 years old at the time so have a genuine reason why i couldn't go :D:D:D

father was at it, also watched/listened from outside with relative ease, was unable to afford full weekend, the economy wasnt amazing back then

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Pato Banton played Metroland,He had hits with Baby come back with UB40 and This cowboy song with Sting in the 90's.
    My claim to fame is that i played a frame of snooker with him in the showboat before the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

different times I know... but absolutely mad that only 7k people paid 25 quid each day for such a great line up as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I genuinely don't think this is even a debate. Bob Dylan is, without shadow of a doubt, the biggest artist to ever appear in Waterford.

Great thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I genuinely don't think this is even a debate. Bob Dylan is, without shadow of a doubt, the biggest artist to ever appear in Waterford.

Great thread though.

That's a fact. His legacy will be enormous. A cultural icon. The man he even sang at the March on Washington when Martin Luther King gave his famous "I have a dream" speech.

That's a fact. His legacy will be enormous. A cultural icon. The man he even sang at the March on Washington when Martin Luther King gave his famous "I have a dream" speech.

Sadly missed out on his folk days and nowadays his style is way different but nice to see him in Kilkenny last year. Still going strong and will tour til the day he dies

Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, Donovan, Joan Baez, John Prine, Roy Orbison, Smiths also massive names to play here

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭aziz

Still going strong and will tour til the day he dies

Nah,he's too busy making gates now😀

https://twentytwowords.com/bob-dylan-is-a-welder-and-he-makes-big-iron-gates-out-of-scrap-metal-5-pictures/

aziz wrote: »
    Still going strong and will tour til the day he dies

Nah,he's too busy making gates now😀

https://twentytwowords.com/bob-dylan-is-a-welder-and-he-makes-big-iron-gates-out-of-scrap-metal-5-pictures/

Jesus thats a bit weird and crazy at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Bob Dylan will keep touring as soon as he's able to again. He released a great new record last month (his 39th!), which I would highly recommend "Rough And Rowdy Ways"

I've been to see him 8 times (that I can think of) and it's a privilege. When he's gone, there's not another one coming in his place.

I might be biased, given that he's my favourite artist. But seriously, that's your answer for biggest name to ever play in Waterford. The medium of songwriting, he is the greatest person to ever attempt it.

Bob Dylan will keep touring as soon as he's able to again. He released a great new record last month (his 39th!), which I would highly recommend "Rough And Rowdy Ways"

I've been to see him 8 times (that I can think of) and it's a privilege. When he's gone, there's not another one coming in his place.

I might be biased, given that he's my favourite artist. But seriously, that's your answer for biggest name to ever play in Waterford. The medium of songwriting, he is the greatest person to ever attempt it.

new album is good even if its like an audio book

He still has the same voice as his younger days to an extent, he adapted a change in style which some like some dislike

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

The Bok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

50 Cent at the RSC lol

50 Cent at the RSC lol

typical waterford, we really only got 49 cent, stupid waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

The Bok

"Ye'll never bate The Bok!!" Ah yes, epic sessions in T&H's. We'll give him an honourable mention.
    This is getting interesting again. All the votes for Dylan for No.1 are intriguing, but I was trying to set criteria for acts coming to Waterford while they were "happening" at the time they played here, hence the recent record sales metrics as opposed to legends coming years after their pomp.

"Ye'll never bate The Bok!!" Ah yes, epic sessions in T&H's. We'll give him an honourable mention.
    This is getting interesting again. All the votes for Dylan for No.1 are intriguing, but I was trying to set criteria for acts coming to Waterford while they were "happening" at the time they played here, hence the recent record sales metrics as opposed to legends coming years after their pomp.

That Gavin James guy seems pretty popular in the Irish charts

PTH2009 wrote:
    That Gavin James guy seems pretty popular in the Irish charts

Not a patch on the bok, he d always be number one if the charts weren't fixed!

Advertisement