Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest Band/Artist to ever play Waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Michael Jackson perfected his moon walk in the Theatre Royal.

He later went back stage to have a ham blaa

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Michael Jackson perfected his moon walk in the Theatre Royal.

He later went back stage to have a ham blaa

Complete Bull

He went native and had a red lead blaa

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ah Brendan Boyer was the biggest of all!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Found this in a 'Drafts' folder, unfinished and forgotten about from months back! Going to ATN and seeing The National(brilliant) reminded me I hadn't posted my updates. Still lots of suggestions un-assessed including all the other ATN 2019/Daytripper 2019 acts but it's a start. Of course my criteria for determining whether or not the act was 'Big' or not is very subjective and open to argument. Anyway, just a bit of fun. Feel free to contribute/assess/embellish...

Qualifying Criteria for being 'Big' when they played Waterford (amended);

1. Must have released at least 1 new studio album (not greatest hits) that had reached top 40 in the US or top 10 in the UK within 5 years after or 1 year before playing Waterford
    2. Must have released at least 1 new studio album (not greatest hits) in the preceding 5 years when they played Waterford. that subsequently certified Gold in the US (500,000 units) or the UK (100,000 units),
    2. Must have had at least 1 UK No.1 single or US Billboard top 10 single within the preceding 2 years.
    3. If not original line-up, must contain the main creative forces from the original.
    4. Solo members of ‘Big’ acts not included unless they made it ‘Big’ again as solo artists.

Artist / Venue/Festival / Year / Career Record Sales (Net Worth) / Justification for making list

The National - A.T.N. Curraghmore - 2019 - 1-2 Million - Albums 'Sleep Well Beast' 2017 No.1 UK, No. 2 US, 'I am easy to find' 2019 No.2 U.K. No.5 U.S.
    David Gray – The Forum Year? / Daytripper 2014 – ‘White Ladder’ first released in 1998 but despite being huge hit here, didn’t get to No.1 in the U.K. until 2001. ‘A New Day At Midnight’ 2002 U.K. No.1. ‘Life In Slowmotion’ 2005 No.1 UK & No.16 U.S.A. ‘Draw The Line’ 2009 U.K. No.5. So window for inclusion on our list is a generous 1997 – 2014, so the Daytripper gig gets him in, just, but can anyone verify when he played the earlier Forum gig closer to his ‘White Ladder’ mega-stardom days?
    Madness Daytripper 2013 & 2019 6 Million+ Album 'Oui Oui, Si Si, Ja Ja, Da Da' 2012 keeps them here though they're mostly living off the 80's hits
    Babyshambles – Ten 2006 – Album ‘Down In Albion’ 2005 U.K. No.10 gets them up here, which makes me think the criteria I’ve set aren’t rigorous enough! Couldn’t name 1 song by them.
    Paul Weller - South 2001 – Albums; ‘Heavy Soul’ 1997 U.K. No.2 & ‘Illumination’ 2002 U.K. No.1
    The Prodigy - Metroland 1995 'Music for the Jilted Generation' 1994 went Platinum in the UK so yea they were happening at the time and go on the list. RIP Keith Flint.
    Johnny Cash The Forum 1993 - 'American Recordings' 1994 won a Grammy so Johnny walks the line. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/johnn...-2bceb47e.html
    Van Morrison Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 Career Sales? (Net Worth $90M) 'Avalon Sunset' 1989 most definitely keeps Van on this list.
    50 Cent Waterford Music Fest( 2011 17 Million 'Before I self-destruct' 2009 keeps Mr Cent on here.
    The Housemartins - The Bridge Hotel 1987 – Albums ‘London 0 Hull 4’ 1986 U.K. No.3 & ‘The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death’ 1987 U.K. No.9. Single ‘Caravan Of Love’ 1986 U.K. No.1. Copied from Popjustice forum; “Saw them live at The Bridge Hotel, Waterford in 1987. I was 15 and it was a school night. Things got messy during Me And The Farmer. Nice memory from a fellow fan who was there: "Back back you Irish dogs" shouted Stan Cullimore from the stage. Cue glasses and bottles flying towards the stage. The Proclaimers played support. A friend of mine got locked up for kicking a squad car. The folly of youth. And cider." It was a rough night. The hotel sold Carlsberg Special Brew in those days.”
    Def Leppard- Katie Reilly's 1986 - 'Hysteria' 1987 No.1 in U.S.& U.K so on the list most def; http://www.deflepparduk.com/2016newsnov184.html
    The Human League The Bridge 1985
    The Smiths - The Savoy 1984 Album 'The Smiths' 1984 UK No.2, went Gold
    U2 WRTC Canteen/The Showboat 1980 150 Million 'Boy' No.52 in the UK and No.63 in the US but was subsequently ranked number 417 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time"

Disqualified as not 'Big' when they came or no proof they came here (subject to argument):

Bob Dylan Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 100 Million 'Good as I Been to You' only reached  No.  51 in the US and  No.  18 in the UK
    UB40 Daytripper 2017 70 Million Greatest hits touring band by 2017 even Ali Campbell re-joining doesn't keep them on.
    Sister Sledge Daytripper 2018 15 Million Last hit studio album 33 years previous.
    "I'm sure Val Doonican must have played the Theatre Royal at some stage?" – Decided to check out Val’s credentials and oh what a land I got! Album ‘Val Doonican Rocks, But Gently!’ hit No.1 in the U.K. on New Year’s Eve 1967 (for 3 weeks) knocking ‘Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band’ off it’s perch!!!!! 5 U.K. Top 10 Singles between 1964-67 too! So any dates Val played his hometown between 1966-1972 anyone?
    Joan Armatrading - The Theatre Royal - 2015 - legend but doesn't meet the criteria.
    The Pogues - mostly in the Bridge - 'If I should fall from Grace with God' 1988, No.3 in the U.K. album charts so need to have played here between 1987-1993 under Criteria 1 and I can't find any proof that they did so they're down here for now unless someone can move them up?
    Ray Charles Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 - Last studio album 1961 so no.
    Jerry Lee Lewis Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 - Had a bit of a creative renaissance after playing Tramore but doesn't make it.
    Kris Kristoferson - The Forum 1993 – No. Peaked in the 70’s.
    Queen played T. H Doolans before everyone liked them. – If only.
    Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze played the Forum solo. Though I saw him there too, it’s no. Squeeze don’t even meet the criteria, never mind Glenn, sorry!
    Carl Cox - The Metroland – 1994 – Top D.J. but not sure how to quantify his success & fame for this list. His record sales don’t get him in under the criteria I’m using; House/Techno champions -SPEAK UP.
    Mungo Jerry - The Atlantic Ballroom Tramore - Year? Unless he played there between 1969 – 1976, it’s a no, summertime or not.
    Fatboy Slim- Electric Avenue/Ten/Theatre Royal - Year? – Couldn’t find any reference to him playing here under that name or Norman Cook; anyone got proof? He was here with The Housemartins (see above).
    The Farm - The Stonecourt Year? – ‘Spartacus’ 1990 U.K. No.1 so need proof they played between 1989 – 1995 to move them up?
    The Beautiful South - The Forum - Year? – UK Top 10 and/or Gold Albums from 1989 – 2006 so verification for when they played The Forum between 1988 – 2011 please?
    Gilbert O'Sullivan - Mt Sion - the 70's – 4 Top 10 albums in the UK and 1 US Top 10 between 1971-74 gets ‘under-appreciated in his hometown’ Raymond up on that list if anyone can verify him playing this Mount Sion gig between 1970-1979?
    Billy Connolly was in the theatre royal, wasn't he? – Yes he was, I was there but this list is for musicians and while the Big Yin may have sold lots of records of his live comedy shows, not so much for his folk music banjo pickin’!

Inclusion on 'The List' pending subject to testing versus criteria above as I'm just cutting & pasting your responses and I haven't had a chance(or got bored!) to verify:

Mercury Rev
    Ian Brown- South/ Electric Avenue/Ten/Theatre Royal - Years?
    The Thrills - The Forum - Year?
    Ocean Colour Scene - The Forum - Year?
    Scissor Sisters - The Forum - Year?
    Violent Femmes - South - Year?
    Paul Oakenfold - South - Year?
    The Fourth Dimension - Metroland - 1995
    Manic street preachers - Back of The Mansion - Year?
    Snow Patrol - The kings - Year?
    The Waterboys
    Mauro picotto
    John digweed

the stranglers
    James - Daytripper - Year?
    Thin Lizzy played in the Regina cinema
    Howard Jones, butlers community.
    Bad Manners, the Savoy.
    Ash played preachers
    Didn't Tammy Wynette (stand by your man) play the Forum?
    Marshall Jefferson (& someone else who's name I can't remember) in The Rhythm Room back in 2000/2001
    Roy Orbison played the Olympia Ballroom on Parnell St back in the 60s.
    Bruce Springsteen - Olympia
    The Dubliners played the Theatre Royal during their peak in UK & Ireland. Probably other locations also.
    Why nobody mentioned our own Brendan Boyer?
    The frames played Garter Lane early 2000's,
    Damien Rice - the kings,
    Bell X1 the junction and WIT (I think),
    Bryan Ferry played the Tall Ships Bowe Street carpark.
    Shaun Ryder was supposed to do a Dj set in the forum ( think he just stood on the stage as far as I can remember?!) !
    Ocean Colour Scene played the forum again in around 2010
    also Bombay Bicycle Club played the Forum around the same year.
    Not so long ago Badly Drawn Boy theatre royal
    Gino Washington and the ram jam band. Olympia.
    The Dutch Swing College Band. Olympia.
    Probably my favourite ever gig big or small was when Rodrigo Y Gabriella played there.( Saw Rodrigo Y Gabriella in Sheff's which was one of their first gigs here I think. Absolute magic. Saw them again in Ten a few years later and it was ruined by people shouting and talking.) (Was kings bar one of their first gigs here?)
    Pretty sure Zoe Conway and the drummer from Kila were playing with them.
    Sinead O'Connor, T&H's. Made her musical debut there on the mitch from Newtown! (It was upstairs in noriss.)
    Midge Ure played the bridge in late 90s to a small crowd and when a group of women started to dance around a handbag,he left the stage
    Basshunter
    Calvin Harris actually played the Forum in 2010. Hard to think considering he's now one of the biggest djs producers around.
    Worked in Muldoons/Oxygen when Coolio "performed" there (stood there while a DJ played his 2 songs). Still was nice to meet someone famous shorter than me. As I remember Six (ha!) were the first acts (maybe even the opening act) to play in Oxygen.
    Six also played The Forum on New Year's Day at about 3 in the afternoon ha.
    Possibly the weirdest promotional tour was for Zeno who about three people will have heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mungo Jerry - The Atlantic Ballroom Tramore - Year? Unless he played there between 1969 – 1976, it’s a no, summertime or not.

I think it was 1969, but cannot be certain ..... it was shortly after Summertime hit it big as far as I am aware.

There are a lot of names who failed your criteria that would would definitely have on a list ..... and probably some you included that I would omit.

Personal preferences ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

26 April 1991. I was there.

Their debut album Generation Terrorists (February 1992) was certified Gold in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

F
    Disqualified as not 'Big' when they came or no proof they came here (subject to argument):

UB40 Daytripper 2017 70 Million Greatest hits touring band by 2017 even Ali Campbell re-joining doesn't keep them on.

UB40 in the Butler Community Centre February 1990 surely qualifies.
    Kingston Town hit #4 in the UK a few weeks later. Taken from the triple platinum album Labour Of Love II. 1988's eponymous album was certified gold as was 1986's Rat In The Kitchen.

48926296_10161412755185089_1922822219507957760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQnygP-rdAhqWeqpt8KyDgdO0kxynw48RL2OUNgOm9EteQ3SUULKIzIm8Dsx1eoRxCA&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=460f3851b1d3277938f13a8081a045a0&oe=5DE21859

• Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bob Dylan
    Bruce Springsteen
    - Olympia

Dont think the Springsteen thing is true at all

Bob Dylan is one of the biggest acts of all time and even tho he struggled in the charts he has a massive reputation and that was very much Intact when he played Tramore.

Another gig to add to the list
    Robert Plant (Led Zepplin fame) played with his new band Saving Grace in the Theatre Royal on the 19th July 2019. Great gig

Found this in a 'Drafts' folder, unfinished and forgotten about from months back! Going to ATN and seeing The National(brilliant) reminded me I hadn't posted my updates. Still lots of suggestions un-assessed including all the other ATN 2019/Daytripper 2019 acts but it's a start. Of course my criteria for determining whether or not the act was 'Big' or not is very subjective and open to argument. Anyway, just a bit of fun. Feel free to contribute/assess/embellish...

Qualifying Criteria for being 'Big' when they played Waterford (amended);

1. Must have released at least 1 new studio album (not greatest hits) that had reached top 40 in the US or top 10 in the UK within 5 years after or 1 year before playing Waterford
    2. Must have released at least 1 new studio album (not greatest hits) in the preceding 5 years when they played Waterford. that subsequently certified Gold in the US (500,000 units) or the UK (100,000 units),
    2. Must have had at least 1 UK No.1 single or US Billboard top 10 single within the preceding 2 years.
    3. If not original line-up, must contain the main creative forces from the original.
    4. Solo members of ‘Big’ acts not included unless they made it ‘Big’ again as solo artists.

Artist / Venue/Festival / Year / Career Record Sales (Net Worth) / Justification for making list

The National - A.T.N. Curraghmore - 2019 - 1-2 Million - Albums 'Sleep Well Beast' 2017 No.1 UK, No. 2 US, 'I am easy to find' 2019 No.2 U.K. No.5 U.S.
    David Gray – The Forum Year? / Daytripper 2014 – ‘White Ladder’ first released in 1998 but despite being huge hit here, didn’t get to No.1 in the U.K. until 2001. ‘A New Day At Midnight’ 2002 U.K. No.1. ‘Life In Slowmotion’ 2005 No.1 UK & No.16 U.S.A. ‘Draw The Line’ 2009 U.K. No.5. So window for inclusion on our list is a generous 1997 – 2014, so the Daytripper gig gets him in, just, but can anyone verify when he played the earlier Forum gig closer to his ‘White Ladder’ mega-stardom days?
    Madness Daytripper 2013 & 2019 6 Million+ Album 'Oui Oui, Si Si, Ja Ja, Da Da' 2012 keeps them here though they're mostly living off the 80's hits
    Babyshambles – Ten 2006 – Album ‘Down In Albion’ 2005 U.K. No.10 gets them up here, which makes me think the criteria I’ve set aren’t rigorous enough! Couldn’t name 1 song by them.
    Paul Weller - South 2001 – Albums; ‘Heavy Soul’ 1997 U.K. No.2 & ‘Illumination’ 2002 U.K. No.1
    The Prodigy - Metroland 1995 'Music for the Jilted Generation' 1994 went Platinum in the UK so yea they were happening at the time and go on the list. RIP Keith Flint.
    Johnny Cash The Forum 1993 - 'American Recordings' 1994 won a Grammy so Johnny walks the line. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/johnn...-2bceb47e.html
    Van Morrison Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 Career Sales? (Net Worth $90M) 'Avalon Sunset' 1989 most definitely keeps Van on this list.
    50 Cent Waterford Music Fest( 2011 17 Million 'Before I self-destruct' 2009 keeps Mr Cent on here.
    The Housemartins - The Bridge Hotel 1987 – Albums ‘London 0 Hull 4’ 1986 U.K. No.3 & ‘The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death’ 1987 U.K. No.9. Single ‘Caravan Of Love’ 1986 U.K. No.1. Copied from Popjustice forum; “Saw them live at The Bridge Hotel, Waterford in 1987. I was 15 and it was a school night. Things got messy during Me And The Farmer. Nice memory from a fellow fan who was there: "Back back you Irish dogs" shouted Stan Cullimore from the stage. Cue glasses and bottles flying towards the stage. The Proclaimers played support. A friend of mine got locked up for kicking a squad car. The folly of youth. And cider." It was a rough night. The hotel sold Carlsberg Special Brew in those days.”
    Def Leppard- Katie Reilly's 1986 - 'Hysteria' 1987 No.1 in U.S.& U.K so on the list most def; http://www.deflepparduk.com/2016newsnov184.html
    The Human League The Bridge 1985
    The Smiths - The Savoy 1984 Album 'The Smiths' 1984 UK No.2, went Gold
    U2 WRTC Canteen/The Showboat 1980 150 Million 'Boy' No.52 in the UK and No.63 in the US but was subsequently ranked number 417 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time"

Bob Dylan Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 100 Million 'Good as I Been to You' only reached  No.  51 in the US and  No.  18 in the UK
    Sister Sledge Daytripper 2018 15 Million Last hit studio album 33 years previous.
    "I'm sure Val Doonican must have played the Theatre Royal at some stage?" – Decided to check out Val’s credentials and oh what a land I got! Album ‘Val Doonican Rocks, But Gently!’ hit No.1 in the U.K. on New Year’s Eve 1967 (for 3 weeks) knocking ‘Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band’ off it’s perch!!!!! 5 U.K. Top 10 Singles between 1964-67 too! So any dates Val played his hometown between 1966-1972 anyone?
    Joan Armatrading - The Theatre Royal - 2015 - legend but doesn't meet the criteria.
    The Pogues - mostly in the Bridge - 'If I should fall from Grace with God' 1988, No.3 in the U.K. album charts so need to have played here between 1987-1993 under Criteria 1 and I can't find any proof that they did so they're down here for now unless someone can move them up?
    Ray Charles Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 - Last studio album 1961 so no.
    Jerry Lee Lewis Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 - Had a bit of a creative renaissance after playing Tramore but doesn't make it.
    Kris Kristoferson - The Forum 1993 – No. Peaked in the 70’s.
    Queen played T. H Doolans before everyone liked them. – If only.
    Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze played the Forum solo. Though I saw him there too, it’s no. Squeeze don’t even meet the criteria, never mind Glenn, sorry!
    Carl Cox - The Metroland – 1994 – Top D.J. but not sure how to quantify his success & fame for this list. His record sales don’t get him in under the criteria I’m using; House/Techno champions -SPEAK UP.
    Fatboy Slim- Electric Avenue/Ten/Theatre Royal - Year? – Couldn’t find any reference to him playing here under that name or Norman Cook; anyone got proof? He was here with The Housemartins (see above).
    The Farm - The Stonecourt Year? – ‘Spartacus’ 1990 U.K. No.1 so need proof they played between 1989 – 1995 to move them up?
    The Beautiful South - The Forum - Year? – UK Top 10 and/or Gold Albums from 1989 – 2006 so verification for when they played The Forum between 1988 – 2011 please?
    Gilbert O'Sullivan - Mt Sion - the 70's – 4 Top 10 albums in the UK and 1 US Top 10 between 1971-74 gets ‘under-appreciated in his hometown’ Raymond up on that list if anyone can verify him playing this Mount Sion gig between 1970-1979?
    Billy Connolly was in the theatre royal, wasn't he? – Yes he was, I was there but this list is for musicians and while the Big Yin may have sold lots of records of his live comedy shows, not so much for his folk music banjo pickin’!

Inclusion on 'The List' pending subject to testing versus criteria above as I'm just cutting & pasting your responses and I haven't had a chance(or got bored!) to verify:

Mercury Rev
    Ian Brown- South/ Electric Avenue/Ten/Theatre Royal - Years?
    The Thrills - The Forum - Year?
    Ocean Colour Scene - The Forum - Year?
    Scissor Sisters - The Forum - Year?
    Violent Femmes - South - Year?
    Paul Oakenfold - South - Year?
    The Fourth Dimension - Metroland - 1995
    Snow Patrol - The kings - Year?
    The Waterboys
    Mauro picotto
    John digweed

the stranglers
    James - Daytripper - Year?
    Thin Lizzy played in the Regina cinema
    Howard Jones, butlers community.
    Bad Manners, the Savoy.
    Ash played preachers
    Didn't Tammy Wynette (stand by your man) play the Forum?
    Marshall Jefferson (& someone else who's name I can't remember) in The Rhythm Room back in 2000/2001
    Roy Orbison played the Olympia Ballroom on Parnell St back in the 60s.
    Bruce Springsteen - Olympia
    The Dubliners played the Theatre Royal during their peak in UK & Ireland. Probably other locations also.
    Why nobody mentioned our own Brendan Boyer?
    The frames played Garter Lane early 2000's,
    Damien Rice - the kings,
    Bell X1 the junction and WIT (I think),
    Bryan Ferry played the Tall Ships Bowe Street carpark.
    Shaun Ryder was supposed to do a Dj set in the forum ( think he just stood on the stage as far as I can remember?!) !
    Ocean Colour Scene played the forum again in around 2010
    also Bombay Bicycle Club played the Forum around the same year.
    Not so long ago Badly Drawn Boy theatre royal
    Gino Washington and the ram jam band. Olympia.
    The Dutch Swing College Band. Olympia.
    Probably my favourite ever gig big or small was when Rodrigo Y Gabriella played there.( Saw Rodrigo Y Gabriella in Sheff's which was one of their first gigs here I think. Absolute magic. Saw them again in Ten a few years later and it was ruined by people shouting and talking.) (Was kings bar one of their first gigs here?)
    Pretty sure Zoe Conway and the drummer from Kila were playing with them.
    Sinead O'Connor, T&H's. Made her musical debut there on the mitch from Newtown! (It was upstairs in noriss.)
    Midge Ure played the bridge in late 90s to a small crowd and when a group of women started to dance around a handbag,he left the stage
    Basshunter
    Calvin Harris actually played the Forum in 2010. Hard to think considering he's now one of the biggest djs producers around.
    Worked in Muldoons/Oxygen when Coolio "performed" there (stood there while a DJ played his 2 songs). Still was nice to meet someone famous shorter than me. As I remember Six (ha!) were the first acts (maybe even the opening act) to play in Oxygen.
    Six also played The Forum on New Year's Day at about 3 in the afternoon ha.
    Possibly the weirdest promotional tour was for Zeno who about three people will have heard of.

Billy came 1996 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Bad manners, the singer's huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Scissor sisters 2003 or 2004 can't remember which year, the tickets were free, it was part of the Heineken green sphere sessions from what I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Train played in The Forum. Think it was 2012/2013

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Maybe I am going mad - distinct possibility mind you.

But did daft punk play the forum? Circa 2003-2007 pretty certain I was there!

If so great.

If not, faithless & chemical brothers same comment did they play then? I remember Calvin Harris wasn’t at it mind you!

Great thread btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

If so great.

If not, faithless & chemical brothers same comment did they play then? I remember Calvin Harris wasn’t at it mind you!

Great thread btw

Daft Punk never played in Waterford! Daft As Punk played in the forum thats who you seen..

Same with the Chemical Brothers they never played here,Faithless played down the RSC...and Calvin Harris played here in 2011 or 2012 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Snow Patrol played in The Kings years ago.
    I remember that, and I remember being shown their rider for the gig :D they were also ****e from memory.

U2 played in the tech about 40 years ago.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Scissor sisters 2003 or 2004 can't remember which year, the tickets were free, it was part of the Heineken green sphere sessions from what I can remember

Yeah I got free tickets for this gig. A definite one. I'd go for mid-2004?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Yeah I got free tickets for this gig. A definite one. I'd go for mid-2004?

I was there too, think you are right around the summer of 2004 maybe????

If so great.

Great thread btw

I don't think think Daft Punk played the forum tbh. When they came to Ireland last the played only two venues. They're very elusive and it's extremely rare for them to play live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

:P
    yogibear77 wrote: »
    I was there too, think you are right around the summer of 2004 maybe????

It was 2004.. upstairs in what used to be called preachers... although it was called something else by then.

Ash played at the same venue around that time too.

I think it was 1969, but cannot be certain ..... it was shortly after Summertime hit it big as far as I am aware.

There are a lot of names who failed your criteria that would would definitely have on a list ..... and probably some you included that I would omit.

Personal preferences ;)

This thing has turned into a monster! Agree with you Johnboy about the criteria, I've Babyshambles making the 'Big' list and I've kicked Bob Dylan off it thus shredding my credibility. Few amendments required along with a lot more bands to be assessed.
    Should be all collated, rigorously assessed and classified in time for ATN 2020 or 2021. Maybe.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This thing has turned into a monster! Agree with you Johnboy about the criteria, I've Babyshambles making the 'Big' list and I've kicked Bob Dylan off it thus shredding my credibility. Few amendments required along with a lot more bands to be assessed.
    Should be all collated, rigorously assessed and classified in time for ATN 2020 or 2021. Maybe.:rolleyes:

Maybe chance the whole thing and have what all international acts that played Waterford City

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

2 Unlimited in Dignity back in the day boi

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    2 Unlimited in Dignity back in the day boi

No no,
    no no no no
    no no no no
    no no there's no limits way there getting on this list :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

No no,
    no no no no
    no no no no

The Vengaboys and Sean Kingston played in the WIT arena last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

No no,
    no no no no
    no no no no

Well, leaving personal choice aside, they deserve to be on the list based purely on the amount of singles sold in the 90s.

God I miss Fat Sams...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Technotronic, early '90s, Bridge Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

vriesmays wrote: »
    Technotronic, early '90s, Bridge Hotel.

Early mid 1992 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Brass n co biggest band about 100 of them on stage

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

gscully wrote: »

God I miss Fat Sams...

Where was that? First club I was in back in de day was Merlin's, that was the holy grale, you got in there your level of coolness went right up haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    Where was that? First club I was in back in de day was Merlin's, that was the holy grale, you got in there your level of coolness went right up haha

Right where Merlins was

Advertisement