Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble on buses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Get lots of hassle on DB - mainly on the 13 although a few times have had problems on the 151

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

In trouble with the conductor....

That has to be a joke?

Whoever the boss is thats who they were in trouble with

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

I have no fear of the junkies, they're pathetically weak and generally zonked out of it. Its the packs of 16/17 yo kids that seem to cause the most hassle, and who are most willing to get aggressive.

Remember a pack of them on the 76 a few months back blaring music, shouting, drinking, hammering on windows and generally being pricks. I turned and roared at them to shut up, as I had a long day at work and my patience was gone, and 3 of them started walking over to me until I stood up to meet them (I'm fairly tall and well built) and they backed down and shut up. Was only after that I realized that the situation had the potential to turn nasty, and I shouldn't have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Whoever the boss is thats who they were in trouble with

That wouldn't be a conductor and if they got into trouble then that was wrong.

I believe people are getting sick of been hassled and harassed etc etc on public transportation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I have no fear of the junkies, they're pathetically weak and generally zonked out of it. Its the packs of 16/17 yo kids that seem to cause the most hassle, and who are most willing to get aggressive.

My main fear about junkies is the potential of catching something off them from their dirty syringes or them leaving their syringes lying around for someone to touch or young kids picking them up and playing with them.

• Advertisement

If people don't cause a fuss and report nothing will change.

You need to email db, nta and tds.

If drivers are marked in they tend to get to know the trouble makers and shouldn't be carrying them but as I've seen so many times they want an easy life and say nothing.

If you have been assaulted or impeded from leaving etc then request your personal data under the new gdpr rules.

If more people done this then things would change.

I've no problem at all putting people off for causing trouble.

Are bus drivers allowed to sail past if a known trouble maker puts their hand out and know else is waiting, would they get into trouble. Also do drivers put out notices on the radio saying if see this person at stop number xxxx don't stop as I kicked him/her off or refused them travel or I have seen this person who has caused trouble before at xxxx stop.

The thing is most people just want to get home when they're on a bus and not get any hassle which would delay their bus journey such as having to make Garda statements and request CCTV etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

When I moved to Dublin about 10 years ago, I used to report anti-social behavior to the driver. Over half of the time, the driver just ignored me. I stopped doing it because it seemed pointless.

I'll never forget the day just a few months ago when I was upstairs on Dublin Bus. Someone started playing extremely loud heavy metal music. You know the type where the lyrics just sound like a growl. When I was getting out, I was about to mention it to the driver when I realised it was coming from a portable player in his cab! It was so loud you couldn't really distinguish whether it was coming from upstairs or downstairs.

Couldn't believe the driver would behave like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I had the unfortunate experience of seeing drug addict lesbians getting each other off on the rear seat threw the CCTV monitor.

I honestly thought they were changing but no they were then at it full pelt when I was at the next stop.

Another thing is there was plenty on the bus including kids upstairs oh and it was Christmas Eve too......

Probably the weirdest thing to have happen to be honest.

You should send that story to Shane McGowan for his next Christmas hit.;-)

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Are bus drivers allowed to sail past if a known trouble maker puts their hand out and know else is waiting, would they get into trouble. Also do drivers put out notices on the radio saying if see this person at stop number xxxx don't stop as I kicked him/her off or refused them travel or I have seen this person who has caused trouble before at xxxx stop.

The thing is most people just want to get home when they're on a bus and not get any hassle which would delay their bus journey such as having to make Garda statements and request CCTV etc.

Yes to all the above.

If one is a risk and we have come across them it's easier to keep going the same where many don't stop for big gangs loaded with drink.

If a driver feels someone is intoxicated drink or drugs they can refuse to carry.

There are 2 guys I won't carry due to hygiene as both live in their own filth and will sit on a seat where they are covered in pi#s and sh1t.

1 of these is also a complete pervert and caught him drooling on a really young school girl.

Makes me sick......

There are some really filthy, disgusting and dangerous people out there and we come across them all.

I've had many that have only been released, others wanting fights, spitting, punches you name it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'll never forget the day just a few months ago when I was upstairs on Dublin Bus. Someone started playing extremely loud heavy metal music. You know the type where the lyrics just sound like a growl. When I was getting out, I was about to mention it to the driver when I realised it was coming from a portable player in his cab! It was so loud you couldn't really distinguish whether it was coming from upstairs or downstairs.

Couldn't believe the driver would behave like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

There's a scumbag in a wheelchair who's a regular on the 79 route. Earlier this year, he was convicted of sexually assaulting a female on a bus. Last month, I heard he did it again.

Yet drivers are not allowed to refuse him travel and those who do are disciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

rebel456 wrote:
    I remember one incident where a Latino man was getting racist abuse from a skanger. Rand the Gardaí myself who weren't really interested as there was no physical violence. Told the driver but he wasn't too pushed about it as it meant having the stop and wait for the Gardaí.

But you would wonder what DB policy is regarding this? If you refer an incident to a driver are they not obliged to follow policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am going to research all of the bus routes mentioned with the aim of never living in these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The inbound bus stop outside Cherry Orchard methadone clinic was like a scene from the walking dead most days in the afternoons. I often drove straight past it and the hoards waiting at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I am going to research all of the bus routes mentioned with the aim of never living in these places.

I wouldn't bother as it's a long established fact that civilisation ends north of the Watford Gap. :D

Ucd stop inbound on Monday to Thursday inclusive buses do not serve.

Recently a newish driver who wasn't aware picked up students who then tore the ceiling to shreds upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Recently a newish driver who wasn't aware picked up students who then tore the ceiling to shreds upstairs.

Surely CCTV would catch the miscreants?

After what time? Is that nonsense still going on in UCD thought it had died down? Last I heard of it was back when the 10 was running. Is the 39a terminating outside the Montrose after 11pm.

Surely CCTV would catch the miscreants?

It should but issue is when full and all dancing around and busting the CCTV cameras also may make it difficult.

After what time? Is that nonsense still going on in UCD thought it had died down? Last I heard of it was back when the 10 was running. Is the 39a terminating outside the Montrose after 11pm.

Still hasn't changed at all.

• Advertisement

Still hasn't changed at all.

What are the buses doing staying on the N11 and not bothering with the flyover or just setting down there. I wouldn't generally take inbound buses late at night perhaps it's about time they started introducing curfews for the on campus residences and close the student bar until they start copping on.

What are the buses doing staying on the N11 and not bothering with the flyover or just setting down there. I wouldn't generally take inbound buses late at night perhaps it's about time they started introducing curfews for the on campus residences and close the student bar until they start copping on.

Stay on N11 and go under the bridge.

I wasn't aware the bar was reopened.

I could be totally wrong but I was in there years ago before it closed.

They tank up in the apartments etc.

Stay on N11 and go under the bridge.

I wasn't aware the bar was reopened.

I could be totally wrong but I was in there years ago before it closed.

They tank up in the apartments etc.

Yeah they put one in when they built the new sports centre. I say put in an 11pm curfew on the on campus residences.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

A trifle surprised that the number 27 (which I know ends in Jobstown, not the nicest part of Dublin) has come up a lot because I've been getting that bus for 11 years now and zero hassle. Once or twice while sitting upstairs there've been a few characters who start ranting to no-one in particular who don't seem right in the head but they're usually easy to spot and you just make sure you don't sit next to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Just sounds like the 27 Dublin Bus. Unfortunately some buses are just a bad route, I don’t see this changing.

The 27a/ b I used to take going back to the late 80's early 90's was always a troublesome route even back then, see nothing has changed so.

They used to kick out the back windows back then and throw out the ripped up seats, always anti social behaviour. Lads smoking ballymagash upstairs and general intimidating behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 32,241 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There's a scumbag in a wheelchair who's a regular on the 79 route. Earlier this year, he was convicted of sexually assaulting a female on a bus. Last month, I heard he did it again.

Yet drivers are not allowed to refuse him travel and those who do are disciplined.
    Is this a guy who pushes himself about on a wheelchair using his legs.... Rather than his arms?...I got a seriously creepy thing of him if it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

D3V!L wrote: »
    All well and good. When I had this problem this morning and quietly asked your man to stop squashing me I was accused of being the aggressor by another person that didn't even know him and he looked like he was well capable of looking after himself. Probably because I was from majority race and he wasn't.

Two years ago I was violently assaulted on a DB and since then I have learned to keep myself to myself. At the time of the assault the Gardai actually tried to prosecute me separately for defending myself. Thankfully camera footage and common sense prevailed, so I was fine. So physical fights on bus's are never the answer.

Sorry to hear you've had such unpleasant experiences on buses recently, do you have the option to cycle / get a scooter or any other method to avoid the mode of transport which is causing these issues?

I wasn't suggesting you get into an actual altercation, just that being well equipped to defend yourself is a very useful skill in our dangerous city, on the streets or on public transport.

It boosts confidence, health and it may save you should you be unfortunate to get attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Possibly the OP should carry a large knife or handgun? :rolleyes:

Yes of course, that's a totally valid comparison. Legally learning to defend yourself as thousands of people do all the time, is the EXACT same thing as illegally carrying an offensive weapon.

Well done on drawing that completely valid comparison. :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

gmisk wrote: »
    Is this a guy who pushes himself about on a wheelchair using his legs.... Rather than his arms?...I got a seriously creepy thing of him if it is..

That's him. You have very good reason to be creeped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

+1 for transport police across the Dublin Bus network, or even private security like the Luas.

We are all supposed to be working towards using public transport more, for this to happen people need to know they are safe.

Advertisement