Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble on buses

Options
  • 13-12-2018 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how other people deal with this ? The bus I get to and from work seems to have frequent trouble on it, be it junkies or fights. It just seems to attract the loons as it goes from one dodgy area on one side of the city to another through town.

Just today I had trouble (mildly verbal) with a guy that tried to compress me against the wall of the bus so he could squeeze into the seat beside me even though there were loads of full seats free. He knew right well what he was doing as it started after he sat down.

Also had a drunk grab my arm at the start of the year and refuse to let me up from my seat.

Is this localised to certain routes ??? How do others deal with it. Oh and its not me , I get the luas occasionally which is even more packed and have zero issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just wondering how other people deal with this ? The bus I get to and from work seems to have frequent trouble on it, be it junkies or fights. It just seems to attract the loons as it goes from one dodgy area on one side of the city to another through town.

Just today I had trouble (mildly verbal) with a guy that tried to compress me against the wall of the bus so he could squeeze into the seat beside me even though there were loads of full seats free. He knew right well what he was doing as it started after he sat down.

Also had a drunk grab my arm at the start of the year and refuse to let me up from my seat.

Is this localised to certain routes ??? How do others deal with it. Oh and its not me , I get the luas occasionally which is even more packed and have zero issues.

You need to report this to the driver or contact the company or the nta.

If people don't report nothing will change.

I am sick to death for having to carry absolute scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Just sounds like the 27 Dublin Bus. Unfortunately some buses are just a bad route, I don’t see this changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You need to report this to the driver or contact the company or the nta.

If people don't report nothing will change.

I am sick to death for having to carry absolute scum.

I did when the drunk started on me. I'm a big lad and can handle myself but chose to walk away. The driver stopped the bus in that instance and call the depot and Gardai. The trouble maker just walked off the bus. So you can imagine why it feels futile.

Just sounds like the 27 Dublin Bus. Unfortunately some buses are just a bad route, I don’t see this changing.

You sir, are psychic !!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

You sir, are psychic !!

I know it only too well. I’m from crumlin used to board on crumlin road for work before started driving. It’s like a 40 minute journey through Sodom and Gommorah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Repeat offenders should be banned from public transport, am sick of these anti social scum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

27 can be an awful route. I would get that or the 27a, b or 15 home. Constantly lads on it out of their minds, drinking cans etc. Even had people lighting up cigarettes, happened only a few weeks ago upstairs. Fair play to the driver he told him that if he didn't put it out he was stopping the bus and calling the guards.

You're man had some cheek even when he was putting it out (although he was ranting and clearly not right in the head). Actually now I think of it he was sitting beside a drunk fella and trying to sell him fags! Couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cstaff

This was the first route that came to mind when I read your first also OP

If people don't cause a fuss and report nothing will change.

You need to email db, nta and tds.

If drivers are marked in they tend to get to know the trouble makers and shouldn't be carrying them but as I've seen so many times they want an easy life and say nothing.

If you have been assaulted or impeded from leaving etc then request your personal data under the new gdpr rules.

If more people done this then things would change.

I've no problem at all putting people off for causing trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Used to take the 27 when it was nearer town but even at that stage you'd feel a menacing atmosphere. Haven't had much 'touble' personally on Dublin buses to be honest (regular commuting hours usually usually means lesser incidents of hassle with the benefit of crowds) but more annoying stuff like gangs of screeching kids, or mammies with jumbo buggies fighting over the disabled spots delaying the bus.

I remember one incident where a Latino man was getting racist abuse from a skanger. Rand the Gardaí myself who weren't really interested as there was no physical violence. Told the driver but he wasn't too pushed about it as it meant having the stop and wait for the Gardaí.

Unfortunately nothing will be done even if individuals get banned. The do-gooders in society who usually never live in these troublesome areas, or take public transport through it, will be outraged.

I can imagine someone like Paul Murphy ranting in the Dáil that poor innocent Anto can't get into town because he's banned from the buses. Irrespective of Anto having 100+ previous convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Its not worth it for the drivers to get involved they're stuck driving the same routes and they can't refuse passengers so calling the guards on a regular can lead to ongoing hassle for the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

It doesn't solve the issue properly at all, but an option to help with confidence in public, particularly in situations with aggressive strangers - learn to defend yourself.

Some sort of martial art or say boxing.. whatever is most suitable for you.
    I know you can say "I shouldn't have to learn to fight to be safe in public", but the reality is, there are a lot of assaults in public.

Being able to defend yourself is a great confidence booster in those situations, and in the event you do get attacked, you've a much greater chance of coming out on top.

jim o doom wrote: »
    It doesn't solve the issue properly at all, but an option to help with confidence in public, particularly in situations with aggressive strangers - learn to defend yourself.

I know you can say "I shouldn't have to learn to fight to be safe in public", but the reality is, there are a lot of assaults in public.

Being able to defend yourself is a great confidence booster in those situations, and in the event you do get attacked, you've a much greater chance of coming out on top.

All well and good. When I had this problem this morning and quietly asked your man to stop squashing me I was accused of being the aggressor by another person that didn't even know him and he looked like he was well capable of looking after himself. Probably because I was from majority race and he wasn't.

Two years ago I was violently assaulted on a DB and since then I have learned to keep myself to myself. At the time of the assault the Gardai actually tried to prosecute me separately for defending myself. Thankfully camera footage and common sense prevailed, so I was fine. So physical fights on bus's are never the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

rebel456 wrote: »

I can imagine someone like Paul Murphy ranting in the Dáil that poor innocent Anto can't get into town because he's banned from the buses. Irrespective of Anto having 100+ previous convictions.

Anto will also have the support of a human rights legal team at his disposal should he engage the services of whatever do gooder group that appeals to his sense of injustice that he regularly experiences due to his unfortunate circumstances.
    All of this does tend to make drivers reluctant to publicly refuse Anto his access to travel, because Anto knows that he is special and a driver is just a driver who he could make a right few quid out of with the right team behind him discriminating in his favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

jim o doom wrote: »

Possibly the OP should carry a large knife or handgun? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cstaff wrote: »
    This was the first route that came to mind when I read your first also OP

+1, was thinking "Sounds like the 27..." by the 2nd sentence.

Been suspended before:
    https://www.buzz.ie/news/dublin-bus-redirect-number-popular-routes-due-anti-social-behaviour-305007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

All well and good. When I had this problem this morning and quietly asked your man to stop squashing me I was accused of being the aggressor by another person that didn't even know him and he looked like he was well capable of looking after himself. Probably because I was from majority race and he wasn't.

Two years ago I was violently assaulted on a DB and since then I have learned to keep myself to myself. At the time of the assault the Gardai actually tried to prosecute me separately for defending myself. Thankfully camera footage and common sense prevailed, so I was fine. So physical fights on bus's are never the answer.

A conductor, or security presence would seem to be necessary on troublesome routes to manage what the driver can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

This is why we need uniformed and plain clothes transport police throughout our public transport network.
    We also need a massively increased traffic police to police everything from cars to cyclists and everything in between.

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Its not worth it for the drivers to get involved they're stuck driving the same routes and they can't refuse passengers so calling the guards on a regular can lead to ongoing hassle for the driver

Of course a driver can refuse a person to travel.

There are many reasons as to why one can refuse and I have done so on many many occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This is why we need uniformed and plain clothes transport police throughout our public transport network.
    We also need a massively increased traffic police to police everything from cars to cyclists and everything in between.

Good luck to them getting on busses at peak times, packed to the gills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Of course a driver can refuse a person to travel.

There are many reasons as to why one can refuse and I have done so on many many occasions.

I know a bus driver that refused to pick up a passenger as they had assaulted the driver the previous time they picked them up. The passenger made a complaint and the driver was in trouble with the conductor afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

My money was on the 40

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

ED E wrote: »
    +1, was thinking "Sounds like the 27..." by the 2nd sentence.

Been suspended before:
    https://www.buzz.ie/news/dublin-bus-redirect-number-popular-routes-due-anti-social-behaviour-305007

the 40 is surely the most suspended route, usually St. Helena's Rd, and likeliest route for the OPs observations.

77A and pitiful 13 not far behind though.

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I know a bus driver that refused to pick up a passenger as they had assaulted the driver the previous time they picked them up. The passenger made a complaint and the driver was in trouble with the conductor afterwards

In trouble with the conductor....

That has to be a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,242 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mikemac2 wrote: »
    My money was on the 40
    The 40 can be..."fun".
    My favourite was the woman at 2 o clock in the day describing in great detail how she would get a man off while lap dancing for him (But she couldnt say more as she was on a bus....) and bring a bottle of wine for 50 euro, kinda like a meal deal.

I actually feel safer on 79/79a tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

While we do need the above (and a police that have an interest in enforcing the already existing laws), some compulsory parenting classes for all, if necessary linked to 'mickey money/free houses/free prams' wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

gmisk wrote: »
    The 40 can be..."fun".
    My favourite was the woman at 2 o clock in the day describing in great detail how she would get a man off while lap dancing for him (But she couldnt say more as she was on a bus....) and bring a bottle of wine for 50 euro, kinda like a meal deal.

I learned everything I know about shoplifting on the top deck of the 40. It's an education

If you want to know about lining a bag with foil, changing labels or distracting security guards join the 40 :pac:

If they were succusful there was bragging and telling the commuters who didn't care and just wanting to go home. If they failed there were tears boo hoo
    gmisk wrote: »
    I actually feel safer on 79/79a tbh.

+1

I had the unfortunate experience of seeing drug addict lesbians getting each other off on the rear seat threw the CCTV monitor.

I honestly thought they were changing but no they were then at it full pelt when I was at the next stop.

Another thing is there was plenty on the bus including kids upstairs oh and it was Christmas Eve too......

Probably the weirdest thing to have happen to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

google slapjack or monkey fist, they're solid attitude adjusters.
    or you could always ask your man if he'd like to step off the bus for a minute, doubt he'd have the balls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Repeat offenders should be banned from public transport, am sick of these anti social scum too.

Never gonna happen as there are over 1,000 buses in Dublin and 2,000 drivers so how are they going to know who each and every scumbag is who has caused trouble.

Advertisement