Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I find the Apple maps thingie pretty good too B. My Dashcam GPS of all things is pretty good too on this score. TBH I would rarely speed. I drive like a granny in urban, suburban and motorways. It would be rare I'd hit 100Kph on 120Kph roads. More like 80 - 90. On occasion on long line of sight backroads I might allegedly push on, but that would be rare.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Wibbs wrote: »
    I find the Apple maps thingie pretty good too B. My Dashcam GPS of all things is pretty good too on this score. TBH I would rarely speed. I drive like a granny in urban, suburban and motorways. It would be rare I'd hit 100Kph on 120Kph roads. More like 80 - 90. On occasion on long line of sight backroads I might allegedly push on, but that would be rare.

Same here. I just don't want to be doing 70 in a road where the signs for 60 could really be bigger. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have seen plenty of inattentive or unobservent cyclists myself and it's frightening,works both ways leave the bike at home if you can't wear a high visibility vest,have a helmet,lights on bike

Just in terms of how it "works both ways", cyclists don't kill people each week on the roads.

And only one of your three suggestions is a legal requirement. Keeping to the speed limit is a legal requirement for motorists.

Great fun on Liveline today, with the nice lady who had 3 penalty points, and then got 2 x 3 points for speeding in one week, complaining about the lack of a warning system. "There should have been a Guard there, to give me a warning".

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Just in terms of how it "works both ways", cyclists don't kill people each week on the roads.

And only one of your three suggestions is a legal requirement. Keeping to the speed limit is a legal requirement for motorists.

Great fun on Liveline today, with the nice lady who had 3 penalty points, and then got 2 x 3 points for speeding in one week, complaining about the lack of a warning system. "There should have been a Guard there, to give me a warning".

They don't kill people no,they end up getting themselves killed
    Sometimes by other road users and sometimes by having no common sense and been bull ignorant and putting themselves in dangers path
    This is about speeding anyway,the chap learned his lesson the hard way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The only place people never break rules when driving or cycling is in their head and in these forums.

The standard of both is abysmal on our roads. It bears no relation to the piety proclaimed on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Come on people.

I was 10km over. That's 6mph in the old system. It's fractional stuff. It's a road that is 80 - 100 but there's a part in it so I believe that is 60km. I am afraid to check as I might get another bloody ticket. I had three kids in the back so I am hardly going to be driving dangerously.

First time in over twenty years driving.

The other thing to note is that if the fine says you were doing 70km/hr in a 60 zone the needle on the speedometer would have been showing higher than 70km/hr.

Speedometers nearly always over read the current actual speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

Have seen plenty of inattentive or unobservent cyclists myself and it's frightening,works both ways leave the bike at home if you can't wear a high visibility vest,have a helmet,lights on bike

I presume you wear a helmet and high viz walking to your car??? As well as not knowing the speed limit you also are living in a parallel universe where high viz and helmets are compulsory. Maybe you should read the rules of the road first and learn about the laws here in Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

beauf wrote: »
    The only place people never break rules when driving or cycling is in their head and in these forums.

The standard of both is abysmal on our roads. It bears no relation to the piety proclaimed on boards.
    Quoted for truth. This thread even featured graphs and talk of delta and as night follows day the bicyclists sail into view polishing their helmets halos. In topics like this one wonders did the religious crawthumpers of old ever quick to saddle up their high horses ever truly go away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

They don't kill people no,they end up getting themselves killed
    Sometimes by other road users and sometimes by having no common sense and been bull ignorant and putting themselves in dangers path
    Research from all over the world suggests the opposite, that in cyclist/motorist collisions, the motorist is more often than not at fault. Have you any evidence to suggest that Ireland bucks the trend?

Annnnnd, here we go again...

467946.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

A cyclist has to obey the rules of the road, including speeding I assumed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

antodeco wrote: »

Nope. The speed limit is for vehicles not for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Wibbs wrote: »
    Quoted for truth. This thread even featured graphs and talk of delta and as night follows day the bicyclists sail into view polishing their helmets halos. In topics like this one wonders did the religious crawthumpers of old ever quick to saddle up their high horses ever truly go away.

Their exempt from using their brain
    Their saving the planet in their lycra shorts so can do as they please

And only one of your three suggestions is a legal requirement. ...

Lights are only only a requirement during lighting up hours I dunno about fog etc.

antodeco wrote: »

Well you have the nice and vague

"Riding a bicycle without reasonable consideration"

Their exempt from using their brain
    Their saving the planet in their lycra shorts so can do as they please

Ah heyor, don't be slagging off the lycra - it prevents situations like this arising;

https://streamable.com/bgor5

Ah heyor, don't be slagging off the lycra - it prevents situations like this arising;

I cannot unsee that you utter barsteward. :D:D:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

A fine plumbing career ahead of that lad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brennanp265

Just wondering if anybody has been caught speeding by a go safe van recently. How long did it take for the fine to be issued by post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

ah that's great craic

• Advertisement
Advertisement