Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding

Options
  • 10-12-2018 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got a letter saying I was doing 70km in 60km zone. I just paid it, then found out that now all speeding offenses are 3 penalty points. I am usually a cautious driver. So here's my concern, if I saw a 60km sign I'd usually drop it but I didn't. So now, I am concerned that it so easy to get tickets I'd really like it more obvious what the limits are. Can I get an advanced sat nav that will tell me what the speed limit for the road is and if I am exceeding it? And also will a sat nav tell me where the publically listed speed traps are? I can get them on my phone but my issue with this is that a phone is a phone and not designed to be used as a sat nav and hence can be more dangerous to use.

Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

You can, but are you going to be relaying on that to tell you what speed to do?
    Limit could change, satnav might not be up to date, etc.
    Every road has signposts and you have 2 eyes, it's a free solution.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

All about observation really. You need to be aware of the limit on every road you're on. A sat nav might help, but shouldn't be relied on to remind you to not speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

MarkR wrote: »
    All about observation really. You need to be aware of the limit on every road you're on. A sat nav might help, but shouldn't be relied on to remind you to not speed.

Yeah just can't believe I missed the 60 sign and reality is I have 3 points and this can happen easily. Some of the 60 signs aren't always easy to see especially at night when the weather is poor which is was in this case.

I don't want another set of points so I'd like to have another reminder if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

If theweather was poor its even worse that you were speeding, :)

Most sat navs will give you your current speed, and the current speed limit, on the screen.

They are generally 90% accurate I'd say (if you don't keep them updated, then naturally speed limit changes can't be reflected accurately).

They generally have warnings for known speed cameras, but these are practically useless as they're all the old-style mounted cameras, which aren't used anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

Download Waze it shows the speed limits on every road

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Did it say the road you were caught on
    It's easily done,some speed cameras do be hiding in zones were the speed Changes quickly but the road does not change

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As someone who cycles (and drives), I knows what it's like to have inattentive or unobservant drivers pass me and its frightening.
    If you have difficulty seeing a speed limit sign then maybe re-evaluate whether you should actually be driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

I'll guess you are a relatively new driver.

Certain types of roads usually have a similar limit.

Built up areas are always 50km or 60km. Some specific areas are 30km

After some experience, you get to know what the speed is for a road without looking and if in doubt always err on the cautious side until you find out.

It's not foolproof - I was very careful to do 60kmh knowing a speed van was located in a specific area. I got a ticket as limit was 50. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

There are standard speed limits depending on the road which apply unless there are signs over riding it.

There's never really an excuse for speeding, you just don't know the rules of the road.

• Advertisement

As someone who cycles (and drives), I knows what it's like to have inattentive or unobservant drivers pass me and its frightening.
    If you have difficulty seeing a speed limit sign then maybe re-evaluate whether you should actually be driving!

Have seen plenty of inattentive or unobservent cyclists myself and it's frightening,works both ways leave the bike at home if you can't wear a high visibility vest,have a helmet,lights on bike

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh god please don't go there, it will just not end well.

Have seen plenty of inattentive or unobservent cyclists myself and it's frightening,works both ways leave the bike at home if you can't wear a high visibility vest,have a helmet,lights on bike
    An inattentive cyclist potentially won't do the same damage to others as an inattentive motorist.
    There is a completely separate fact based debate on whether or not a cyclist is better off with or without a helmet (and it's not mandatory) or whether high-viz actually works from a safety perspective. However this thread is not the place.
    Getting back to the point, if a driver can't see predominantly white road signs then what else on the road are they missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Page 2 has got to be about the average now yeah?

An inattentive cyclist potentially won't do the same damage to others as an inattentive motorist.
    There is a completely separate fact based debate on whether or not a cyclist is better off with or without a helmet (and it's not mandatory) or whether high-viz actually works from a safety perspective. However this thread is not the place.
    Getting back to the point, if a driver can't see predominantly white road signs then what else on the road are they missing?

Come on people.

I was 10km over. That's 6mph in the old system. It's fractional stuff. It's a road that is 80 - 100 but there's a part in it so I believe that is 60km. I am afraid to check as I might get another bloody ticket. I had three kids in the back so I am hardly going to be driving dangerously.

First time in over twenty years driving.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Oh god please don't go there, it will just not end well.

Should not have mentioned the Spandex brigade alryt
    Only road user I encountered in a artic with no fear for a 46 tonne truck
    I'll say no more!

Come on people.

I was 10km over. That's 6mph in the old system. It's fractional stuff. It's a road that is 80 - 100 but there's a part in it so I believe that is 60km. I am afraid to check as I might get another bloody ticket. I had three kids in the back so I am hardly going to be driving dangerously.

The only reason I posted my point was because you're looking for a solution to keep your eyes more off the road because you didn't see something important along the road.

Should not have mentioned the Spandex brigade alryt
    Only road user I encountered in a artic with no fear for a 46 tonne truck
    I'll say no more!
    You're the one continuing about cyclists for some reason. Not sure why. Pedestrians are equally as vulnerable on many of our roads.

Come on people.

That's why I asked about the road changing,mostly down the country roads into towns but on the outskirts,I was always over cautious from driving hgvs
    Just put it down as a lesson learned
    Head melter like most things in this country but what can you do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

In 1980 I was doing a truck driving course with an excellent instructor and one thing he taught me was always "read the road".I have carried that instruction with me all through my years driving since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Come on people.

speed_image018.jpg

Your thinking is flawed. That 10kph sounds like a relatively small delta but in fact it greatly increase the chance of a fatality. KE = 1/2 mv^2 so a small change in speed is a huge change in kinetic energy when you smash into something.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's a combination of not seeing the speed sign but more importantly the speed camera. If you got a letter, you drive passed a van at the side of the road.

ED E wrote: »
    speed_image018.jpg

Your thinking is flawed. That 10kph sounds like a relatively small delta but in fact it greatly increase the chance of a fatality. KE = 1/2 mv^2 so a small change in speed is a huge change in kinetic energy when you smash into something.

I am aware of that, that is why I generally drive slow. This road had houses at all one side and anything on the other side was recessed a considerable amount - so it was an unusual 60.

antodeco wrote: »
    It's a combination of not seeing the speed sign but more importantly the speed camera. If you got a letter, you drive passed a van at the side of the road.
    I think it was permanent speed camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Come on people.

Not dangerous for you or your children possibly, think child-seats, seat-belts, airbags, metal cage surround etc but could well have been dangerous for any vulnerable road user you encountered. And you must expect these on any road that is not a motorway

I think it was permanent speed camera.
    Do we still have fixed cameras that are operational?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Do we still have fixed cameras that are operational?

Not as far as I know.

OP, having read all of you post I sympathise, yes we should all know speed limits but signs are sometimes obscured by overhanging trees/bushes etc and while posters are saying that speed limits follow clear rules there is no consistency in the distance from 50 to 60 or 60 to 80 in different areas and you'll often see a 100 sign on a bad bend.

Clearly none of us should speed and because I cycle and have family who cycle I would consider that I have finely tuned antennae for speed but nonetheless I once got 3 penalty points for exceeding the speed limit on the N 17 outside Tuam so it can happen. It predates the gatso vans, a garda pulled me over so ciall ceannaithe and humble pie.

Did any of you hear Maureen on Liveline today though who is aggrieved because she has 9 points? She has been told that its widespread to get someone else to "take" your points for you if you have too many. She agreed that this was wrong but repeated again that the vans were out to get you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭granturismo

If you really need technology to help you - a newer Garmin sat nav will have visible and audible speed warnings with free lifetime map upgrades.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just put it down as a lesson learned
    Head melter like most things in this country but what can you do
    Pretty much this FFH. Pain in the arse, but it is what it is.

Plus any thread on speeding, even if you were done for 2kph over, will almost be guaranteed to have a multitude of holier than thou replies about how you're public enemy number one and a danger to puppies/doe eyed children/shipping and that you should wear the sackcloth and ashes for being such a sinner. Like none of those commenting have ever crept over limits in their time driving. Unless their name is Mr Christ of 1 Galilee Road, they're being economical with the truth. Or they drive a milk float.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Easy to miss a limit and lots are very poorly signposted.

I use Tom Tom app as an overlay on Google maps on Android..

Waze and sat navs just don't find most of the places that Google has no problem with.

Advertisement