Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New buses around town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

debok wrote: »
    In fairness it hits horrible traffic at both ends of its route.hard to stay on time when hit tailbacks on every spin. Maybe bus eirean should start a route out the back road to ballygunner join it with their tour to hospital.

I'd say one of the issues with the Kavanagh's route is the lack of bus lanes on the Dunmore Road, Newtown Road, Lombard Street etc.

It must really mess up their service at busy periods to be stuck in all that traffic. Since the changes to the Quay there are tailbacks coming from Lombard Street as far back as Newtown School, even at non-peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Would be nice to see Tramore linked up directly to the hospital in the west of the city and to the IDA estate in the east of the city. Perhaps extend a couple of routes with the likes of a w4a and a w5a bus every couple of hours/peak times?

Buses don't really need to be lengthy affairs covering an entire lap of the town. Connecting services are fine. The cost involved is not. Bloody ridiculous that to get to areas not covered by direct services you have to not only swap buses but then pay the same extortionate fare again to cover the rest of the journey. A lot of times a taxi is as cheap or not much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Buses don't really need to be lengthy affairs covering an entire lap of the town. Connecting services are fine. The cost involved is not. Bloody ridiculous that to get to areas not covered by direct services you have to not only swap buses but then pay the same extortionate fare again to cover the rest of the journey. A lot of times a taxi is as cheap or not much more expensive.

Now that the Leap Card is in operation, you might see more integration of services and daily caps like what is currently in operation elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Do the new buses in Waterford have Leap card validators on the right as you enter the bus like in Dublin which sppeded up things a lot. Also do these buses have exact fare only like in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

You can get a ticket that covers you for the day if I'm not mistaken.
    That covers you on all services.

• Advertisement

You can. At an increased price. A single journey point to point inside a specific area should be a single fare however. Take someone coming from Brownes Rd going toward the hospital. Total fare €4.80. Customers pay twice because a shoddily run entity only covers routes in a specific and lazy way with no concept of linking their own bloody services together.

Simple solution- Purchased ticket valid for any connecting service within 1 hour of purchase. Plenty of time to complete any journey in town and connect with another service. Doesn't involve fumbling deep into customers pockets however so wouldn't be considered.

You can. At an increased price. A single journey point to point inside a specific area should be a single fare however. Take someone coming from Brownes Rd going toward the hospital. Total fare €4.80. Customers pay twice because a shoddily run entity only covers routes in a specific and lazy way with no concept of linking their own bloody services together.

Simple solution- Purchased ticket valid for any connecting service within 1 hour of purchase. Plenty of time to complete any journey in town and connect with another service. Doesn't involve fumbling deep into customers pockets however so wouldn't be considered.

But you know that that would only be abused by some members of the public!
    If you are using a bus regularly enough buy a leap card! Saves me a lot of hassle.

But you know that that would only be abused by some members of the public!
    If you are using a bus regularly enough buy a leap card! Saves me a lot of hassle.

Most of those who would abuse it would have mostly figured out how to get themselves a bus pass at this stage. Leap requires infrastructure investment (auto kiosks) before it would save any hassle. As it is you first need to top up the card at a shop/ via your bank a/c before using the service. The only entity this is leass hassle for is Bus Eireann.

If public transport cannot provide functional means for any willing user to access at the very least; the main hospital, city centre shopping, college and main employment areas( industrial estates ) at a reasonable cost. Then what is the point of even running it in the first place. As the service stands currently it's run to keep the drivers in a job not to serve users in any meaningful way.

There are very few other states in Europe requiring its public transport offering to be profitable. Even in the UK (a shining example of what not to do that we seem intent to follow off any cliff) the routes run for profit are privatised not state run entities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'd say one of the issues with the Kavanagh's route is the lack of bus lanes on the Dunmore Road, Newtown Road, Lombard Street etc.

It must really mess up their service at busy periods to be stuck in all that traffic. Since the changes to the Quay there are tailbacks coming from Lombard Street as far back as Newtown School, even at non-peak times.

Yeh they hit traffic at Lombard on way in. Tailbacks on quay then, coming back from ferrybank they hit quay tailbacks again in opposite direction then from Newtown to hospital is always slow. This can happen every time they go in road. I think there doing well to be anyway on schedule. People still say it was better back in the day but there was very little traffic back when kennealys had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

connecting services are fine as long as the time to do it is not too great, but it takes almost two hours to travel from tramore to the hospital, which is essentially a 15 minute drive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

But it doesn't cover out to tramore, so no good for those connecting from tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Did the WIT got the University status already?
    Or is it that Bus Eireann is playing a long ball?

Recently noticed W5 line bus with "University / hOllscoile" as a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

beazee wrote: »
    Did the WIT got the University status already?
    Or is it that Bus Eireann is playing a long ball?

Recently noticed W5 line bus with "University / hOllscoile" as a destination.

Think the word 'hospital' follows it...

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Think the word 'hospital' follows it...

That would make sense [looking at the route: Waterford Hospital - Oakwood].
    Will need to pay closer attention next time whether is there ANY "hospital to follow.

But then - why would I see this line passing through the Industrial Estate on the Cork Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Everytime I take the bus its like its gone up in price. That been said, I'm probably the only person on my route that actually has to pay money to get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Everytime I take the bus its like its gone up in price. That been said, I'm probably the only person on my route that actually has to pay money to get on!

The last time i took the bus it was €1.20 to use it. Is it something like €2.20 now????

alta stare wrote: »
    The last time i took the bus it was €1.20 to use it. Is it something like €2.20 now????

And if you go cashless as in a Leap Card you'll pay less then half the fare!

^this!

Not quite. €2.40 cash ,€1.68 Leap. Still overpriced, maybe the price premium is for the exceptional customer service and "unique" charm of the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It was 30p when I first moved here in 1996.

• Advertisement

Cash seems to be dying out. I hardly ever use cash. I use card and phone. Handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Gael23 wrote: »
    It was 30p when I first moved here in 1996.

The last time i was on a bus it was 2 shillings.

Not quite. €2.40 cash ,€1.68 Leap. Still overpriced, maybe the price premium is for the exceptional customer service and "unique" charm of the drivers.

What are you looking for? To be entertained?

What are you looking for? To be entertained?
    Treated like a paying customer perhaps, rather than an inconvenience at best/obstruction to the drivers mingling of leisure time and social life with work. That too much?

To be fair, I dont want a smile or even interaction. Just do their bloody job, properly, be on time and if they can't; Don't be a grumpy cnut to the customer because they're late again/inefficient/incompetent.

Treated like a paying customer perhaps, rather than an inconvenience at best/obstruction to the drivers mingling of leisure time and social life with work. That too much?

To be fair, I dont want a smile or even interaction. Just do their bloody job, properly, be on time and if they can't; Don't be a grumpy cnut to the customer because they're late again/inefficient/incompetent.

Are you one of those guys that stand there with a €20 for a €2.50 fare?
    How though to be absolutely fair to these drivers do you expect them to keep on time? The amount of traffic on the roads is just incredible and more so during the festive season. I saw them in action during my visit a few weeks ago and I see the drivers in Dublin Bus taking it all in their stride.

Good luck to these drivers because they earn every penny they get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Jeses would have loved Sunday buses when I lived in Waterford as student.

Used to live up in templers Hall and had to get a taxi back on a Sunday evening from the bus station at lest know students will have the option of a bus.

In regards to leep cards to me there fantastic and since moving to Cork I have had one as one it's way cheaper, 2 you don't need to worry about cash, 3 you can top up your leep card from your phone as long as you have a NFC chip built in.

Then the big win now will be the tax saver tickits that company's in Waterford should offer. You bus nearly works out free on it. I pay 42 euros a month for my monthly travel in Cork City and I can use any bus I won't and can also head to the towns around Cork.

Is the Sunday service just for xmas? I remember them doing such things before. Come January it was back to walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Is the Sunday service just for xmas? I remember them doing such things before. Come January it was back to walking.

Its all year round i think

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This is the service increases coming from the nta.

They are increasing services pretty much everywhere.

• Advertisement

This is the service increases coming from the nta.

They are increasing services pretty much everywhere.

Good. It was always a strange thing that there was never a Sunday service except in December.

Advertisement