Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

mailburner wrote: »
    Outstanding by Max and that's the division cleaned out.

I would love to see him move to light weight, he'd be a match for any of them
    If I had one mma wish it would be Ferguson Holloway...two fighters who would go all out for five.

i believe tony expressed interest in that fight on twitter. it would be an awesome fight
    ASOT wrote: »
    Missed all of this but got the main spoiled, can't wait to watch it now :Djust caught Danas presser, ****ting on Tyron again he is .

Getting sick of dana ****ting on him but also getting sick of woodley not fighting
    ERG89 wrote: »
    I'll be honest I thought whatever happened at the weight cut in the summer might have f**ked up Max permanently but I'm glad I was wrong.
    In a way I expected Sheva to knock out Jedrzejczyk but not surprised at that result in the slightest. The latter goes back to waiting on the eventual Andrade vs Namajunas fight.

was surprised dana wants joanna to go back to 115 and stay there.

overall it was a cracking card.

santos deserves to be higher in the rankings. 5 fights this year with 4 wins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

tommyboy26 wrote: »

santos deserves to be higher in the rankings. 5 fights this year with 4 wins

Only 2 fights in the division and fighting a guy with no Wikipedia page 2 fights ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just watched the main card. 3 incredibly entertaining fights on there and I also got some satisfaction from finally seeing Shevchenko win a belt.
    That main event was basically watching someone get CTE. Ortega'd want to take a long break after that one.
    Cowboy Oliveira's blood-drenched head getting guillotined is going to be in my nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Gunni is some violent individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Ortega ate some volume. All credit to his durability and heart, here's hoping he takes ample time away and recovers to full health.

Great to see the doc stepping in and being incisive in his decision, also seems his coach had his best interests in mind.

Time for 55 for Max, I wonder who's first up. It'd be nice to see him go against someone like Edson first - a great first test. Of course, that would never make enough $ sense for the UFC when they can throw caution to the wind and make a so-called super fight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Excellent card overall, really enjoyed it.

Joanna outclassed, hard to see whether she goes from here.

Max looked incredible, who's left at 145 for him? It might be the right time to move up to 155 for him now. Does he get a title shot straight off the bat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ortega had a few great moments in the third but he completely ran out of steam from the very start of the fourth, that was actually a brutal round and hard to watch, he just ate shots left, right, up, down and centre, I'd say he barely knew where he was by the time he sat on the stool.

Delighted that Gunnar got the win as well, that was a seriously nasty elbow. Great opening scrap on the main card as well, that was never going to go the distance!

Great card overall. I didn't watch the prelims, must catch up with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

What a fight from Max.Would love to see a Mcgregor rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Getting sick of dana ****ting on him but also getting sick of woodley not fighting

I don't think that's really fair on T Wood. He's fought 5 times in the last 2 and a half years, while also undergoing two different surgeries. It's not very frequent but also not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I don't think that's really fair on T Wood. He's fought 5 times in the last 2 and a half years, while also undergoing two different surgeries. It's not very frequent but also not too bad.

He fought in September too like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It was beyond worrying to hear the Referee threaten Gunnar with a "stand up" while he had mount on his opponent. The second most dominant grappling position after back-control and the Referee in charge was clueless as to what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Shevchenko had a great start, but faded badly. Still a clear decision, but think the 50-45 scores from the majority of the media were over the top.

Max looked phenomenal.
    Also agree that Rener called the doc over to stop the fight. Have to respect him for that imo.

Delighted for Gunni.
    I was screaming for him to attack that outside heelhook when he had the saddle lock up.
    But the mount was surgical. That elbow was perfect. And he finished with a sub. One of the bloodiest RNCs I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It was beyond worrying to hear the Referee threaten Gunnar with a "stand up" while he had mount on his opponent. The second most dominant grappling position after back-control and the Referee in charge was clueless as to what was going on.

He didn't threaten to stand it up. He told Nelson, correctly, that he had to work. Even if you're in mount, you don't just get to sit there. So he was told to work, he worked and ended the fight. Nothing more to it.

Nelson wasn't just sitting there at that point though. He was working to isolate an arm. I found it odd that the ref didn't recognise/acknowledge that tbh.
    It was like when they get boxing refs to ref MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Lads I think Rener was actually trying to get the doc to not stop the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

darced wrote: »

If he didn't want it stopped, why was he calling him over?

They'd have kept him as far away as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Same here, I havn't listened back but at the time I thought he was telling the doctor he was ok. Will have to go back and listen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

When gunni flipped into the RNC and all the blood fell out of cowboys heads was the only time I've ever felt physically ill watching a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

DrumSteve wrote: »
    When gunni flipped into the RNC and all the blood fell out of cowboys heads was the only time I've ever felt physically ill watching a fight.

tumblr_mg038xWNXS1s21l7no1_400.gif

Used to freak me out that some one could squeeze that hard.

Gunni's was savage

https://streamable.com/0zxyg
    “Doc. Doc, talk to him. Talk to him. I’m not gonna let you ****in’ die in there.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

26 stitches for Cowboy Oliviera, nasty, nasty wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Mellor wrote: »

You are correct lads. I only remembered him saying, "doc hold on, give him a second, talk to him" seems he does actually say "I'm not going to let you die in there" after the camera cuts, good spot.

Whew! thought we had another "Its only business" battle about to erupt.

If Gunnar had a weakness in the past its that he seemed to gets stuck in a grappling & submission mindset and didn't really strike enough during the grappling sequences. He'd have mount and would spend ages trying to get the submission via pure grappling rather than create the opening via gnp.

I thought he was falling into the same trap against Cowboy. Then he sliced him up and proved me wrong. But you saw how quickly the submission came once he did the damage, I hope it's a lesson he keeps with him.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    What a fight from Max.Would love to see a Mcgregor rematch.

tbh i wouldnt want to see that fight straight away. i think there are better fights for max like tony, edson, gaethe or a really fun one i would like to see would be nate diaz

listening to below the belt podcast today and schaub was saying he asked Rener why didnt he throw in the towel sooner. apparently rener told him that brian has a habit of pulling a submission out of the bag late in fights and they thought he might do it this time and didnt want to pull him out of the biggest fight in his career

Sounds as usual that Schaub is either talking total crap or misremembering a conversation.

Rener has already confirmed he called the doctor over to end it.

Told Ortega "don't worry we'll be back", then calls the doctor over to talk to Ortega and have a look at him and as the doctor is coming over says to Ortega "I'm not going to let you ****ing die in there".

Nothing but respect for Rener Gracie in this situation. He had his own competition career cut short by a severe back injury when he was 20, so I'd say he's more alert than most when it comes to this stuff.

Sounds as usual that Schaub is either talking total crap or misremembering a conversation.

Rener has already confirmed he called the doctor over to end it.

Told Ortega "don't worry we'll be back", then calls the doctor over to talk to Ortega and have a look at him and as the doctor is coming over says to Ortega "I'm not going to let you ****ing die in there".

Nothing but respect for Rener Gracie in this situation. He had his own competition career cut short by a severe back injury when he was 20, so I'd say he's more alert than most when it comes to this stuff.

i think schaub was saying more along the lines of why let him go into the 4th round at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Max won't be fighting Conor anytime soon..

i think schaub was saying more along the lines of why let him go into the 4th round at all

Because he won the third?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The Fight Motion video, I could watch Valentina's takedown of Joanna all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

cliggg wrote: »
    The Fight Motion video, I could watch Valentina's takedown of Joanna all day long.

Joanna felt those kicks the next day Id say,perfect execution.

Advertisement