Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former British minister proposes implementing food shortages for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Ireland is the most food secure country in the world:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-food-security/

I think we'll be fine as long as there isn't British ships forcibly exporting food at our ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Varik wrote: »
    It's not a threat it's literally what will happen if there was a hard brexit or too erroneous tariffs on imports from the UK.

The fact that Phil Hogan et al don't realise the dangers or a hard brexit and keep going on about how it's not their problem to fix is terrifying.

What can Phil hogan do exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Amusing to see Phil Hogan kick off. Mister 'water down to a trickle' getting upset someones else is using his own tactics of spin.

Oh you’ve got it bad mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Talk Sh**e, and carry on the tradition of him not missing too many free dinners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Somebody should inform Trevelyan junior that Ireland is not only self-sufficient in food production, but that England is heavily dependent on Irish food imports to feed their overcrowded country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

He can turn their food supply down to a trickle :rolleyes:

Other than brown sauce and crisps what food do we import from the UK anyway?

Proper Corn Flakes, And Weetabix, we'll all be forced to eat crushed avocado on sour dough for brekkie from March, I would miss McVities chocolate everything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

That genocidal maniac should be arrested for an attempted war crime against our nation. Am wondering what our unionist posters would think of this, they'd probably be starved too considering that Brexiteers think they are Paddy's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭buried

Hopefully they'll stop sending over their poppy cult badges too

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Varik wrote: »
    It's not a threat it's literally what will happen if there was a hard brexit or too erroneous tariffs on imports from the UK.

The fact that Phil Hogan et al don't realise the dangers or a hard brexit and keep going on about how it's not their problem to fix is terrifying.

And in return the UK will starve to death. Because we export an insanely larger amount to them than we import from them.

They are nowhere near self sufficient in food production, producing about 20% of what they need. We produce enough food for about 3x our population, albeit clearly not all stuff we eat here - hence we do still import.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The article is Inaccurate. 1 million didn't die....1 million people were killed in a concerted effort by Trevelyan.

People really need to understand history.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I was going on a diet anyway.

Ahhh no. It's Christmas. Eat as much as you can.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Odhinn

L1011 wrote: »
    And in return the UK will starve to death. Because we export an insanely larger amount to them than we import from them.

They are nowhere near self sufficient in food production, producing about 20% of what they need. We produce enough food for about 3x our population, albeit clearly not all stuff we eat here - hence we do still import.

As long as we can provide the staples of our forefathers - the spice bag, spice burger and batterburger - we'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We produce enough food to feed 35 million people, we're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭dasdog

Ireland is the most food secure country in the world:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-food-security/

I think we'll be fine as long as there isn't British ships forcibly exporting food at our ports.

We are still heavily reliant on oil imports from the UK though. Remove oil and farming and the movement of goods and people grinds to a halt. Stupid and ignorant comment for her to make though.

They did it once before, maybe they think they can again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Would Tesco be the biggest single importer of UK origin food into Ireland ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

0lddog wrote: »
    Always preferred SuperValu anyway......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Was her point not more along the line that a no-deal Brexit would lead to unavoidable delays for freight crossing UK/EU borders? Whilst it’s probably not the most helpful comment to be making, I don’t think it’s quite the same as issuing threats to blockade the whole country.

The French have been making more or less the same statements and projections regarding a crash out and the consequent hard border between Southern England and France for quite a few months.

My honest opinion is that some form of food rationing might do a lot of people in Britain a great deal of good. Maybe a shorter supply of sugar, fats, and ingredients poured into general junk would ease the obesity crisis and the stress it puts on the NHS. Nothing else seems to be working to prevent the more greedy and idle elements of society from gorging on rubbish.

An unintended benefit of Brexit, perhaps.

I'm off to Lidl with a digger, I need to stock up before the impending famine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

0lddog wrote: »

I was wondering about that. I think M&S is nearly all imports. Tesco not so much.

My honest opinion is that some form of food rationing might do a lot of people in Britain a great deal of good. Maybe a shorter supply of sugar, fats, and ingredients poured into general junk would ease the obesity crisis and the stress it puts on the NHS. Nothing else seems to be working to prevent the more greedy and idle elements of society from gorging on rubbish.

Could do wonders here aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Not really, no.

Typical West Brit attitude. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The irony of these Brexit supporting imbeciles attempting to revert to scare tactics with regard to the border- after attacking the remain campaign for doing the same during the referendum should not be lost.

I cant understand how this brazen idiocy is still being tolerated by the British people- in little over a hundred years they have gone from being an empire to staring down the barrel of self-imposed food and medical supply shortages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Odhinn wrote: »
    As long as we can provide the staples of our forefathers - the spice bag, spice burger and batterburger - we'll be grand.

Don't forget Brennan's bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She is backtracking over on Twitter saying the comments were taken out of context.

The Irish are all over her twitter all day, she should have read up on her history before mentioning anything about food shortages when the Brits let 1 million of us starve to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Was her point not more along the line that a no-deal Brexit would lead to unavoidable delays for freight crossing UK/EU borders? Whilst it’s probably not the most helpful comment to be making, I don’t think it’s quite the same as issuing threats to blockade the whole country.

No, she wants food shortages here as a weapon of leverage in the backstop negotiations favouring the Brexit side, that's trying to starve us. Thankfully her type will hopefully be not in the British government in the future to enact an attempted genocide, secondly many sensible English people have condemned the Brexiteer's madness and also we are self sufficient in food here unlike in the UK.

Sure, we won't be eating a multitude of junk food imported from there anymore and that's a good thing! :) The essentials to the human diet are actually grown and processed here to feed over 5 times our population (bar fruit which affects both countries!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I was wondering about that. I think M&S is nearly all imports. Tesco not so much.

I'd guess you are right that M&S bring in close to 100% of their stock but their turnover would be dwarfed by Tesco Irl.......so hard to know which would be biggest importer by volume.

At any rate I cant see either company being to impressed if 'the mainland' mounted a food blockade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Typical West Brit attitude. :rolleyes:

I guess you like innocents being killed by car bombs more than I do.

Yeah we all want that back.

Shove your outdated West Brit comment up your hole while you're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Odhinn

She is backtracking over on Twitter saying the comments were taken out of context.

The Irish are all over her twitter all day, she should have read up on her history before mentioning anything about food shortages when the Brits let 1 million of us starve to death.

They let even more of her own people starve on numerous occassions - the last in the mid 1940's.

Advertisement