Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avengers: Endgame [** SPOILERS FROM POST 613 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

backspacer wrote: »
    Can someone explain something to me or did I miss something. In the scene where Banner and The Special One meet, she is aware that banner is 5 years too early to meet Strange, yet is unaware of the fact Strange surrendered the Time Stone to Thanos.

I know its a small detail but it still bugs me.

For once, there's actually a logical explanation. Before she died in the Dr Strange movie, she told Strange that whilst she could see ahead to a certain degree, she couldn't see past the point of her own death. So she knew of his potential and how he would become Dr Strange, but she couldn't see what would happen afterwards - i.e. everything involving Thanos.

**edit - Sparko 0.00004 milliseconds quicker off the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

backspacer wrote: »
    Can someone explain something to me or did I miss something. In the scene where Banner and The Special One meet, she is aware that banner is 5 years too early to meet Strange, yet is unaware of the fact Strange surrendered the Time Stone to Thanos.

I know its a small detail but it still bugs me.

Didn't know Jose Mourinho was in Endgame :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Nanotech. The answer to every question and query

Well in this case, it is the perfectly logical answer to the question you asked.

As far as poking holes in the switcheroo go though....
    - How did Thanos not notice the sudden loss of the power of the stones?
    - How did Tony even manage to wield them? It took Starlord (a demi-God at the time) and all the GotG collectively to control the power stone alone. Hulk barely managed the click and practically lost an arm. Tony, ok he died, but I don't think he should have been able to do what he did.
    ... if we're poking holes :)

Bacchus wrote: »
    Well in this case, it is the perfectly logical answer to the question you asked.

- How did Tony even manage to wield them? It took Starlord (a demi-God at the time) and all the GotG collectively to control the power stone alone. Hulk barely managed the click and practically lost an arm. Tony, ok he died, but I don't think he should have been able to do what he did.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcThAT9NJj0z68TvsnYnfHspYLPCGLQihm2QAasYA01hvd8Pkx7Y

Nanotech :D

Few things to note ....
    • This Thanos was from 2014 - thus had never wielded the stones. Entirely possible he didn't know what to expect or notice when they were removed.
    • If you watch IW, after the initial surge of power when the stones are installed Thanos returns to a fairly normal state. It may be after that surge that he doesn't feel any different anyway.
    • In Endgame, Thanos isn't wearing his own gauntlet - he's wearing the nano-tech one that Tony built. Again, entirely feasible that Tony built in some means of easily ejecting/placing the stones and this is what aided in getting them onto his own hand.

As for Tony wielding the stones, yeah he probably should have been fried but I guess the story would tell us that he had 5yrs to design a suit to channel their power, and did.

But again ............. nanotech.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I kinda miss the pre 'nanotech' days of the MCU; while post New York Invasion, it probably makes sense weapon and science research would be bumped by all that alien tech, there was a least some measure of grounded realism with the Earth bound sections; a sliver, given this is definitely Science Fantasy, not Fiction. I liked that Iron Man was 'just' a metal suit of armour. It had that "Tomorrow, +1" feeling.

Iron Man is basically the Green Lantern now (or was, I guess!), where any weapon or device required for the plot can be fashioned by "nanobots". The Thanos vs. Stark smackdown in Infinity War was particularly bad. Same with Spider-Man, with this nanotech suit, and EDITH basically robbing Parker of that "just a kid" quality from his best stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

- How did Thanos not notice the sudden loss of the power of the stones? Each time he added a stone to the Gauntlet in IW, there was a sudden rush of power, which then dissipated. So he had already experienced the surge of power before he hit Tony away, and must have then just thought the power dissipated.
    - How did Tony even manage to wield them? It took Starlord (a demi-God at the time) and all the GotG collectively to control the power stone alone. Hulk barely managed the click and practically lost an arm. Tony, ok he died, but I don't think he should have been able to do what he did. Starlord held the Power stone directly in his hand, it's different when it's held in the gauntlet. Even when Thanos pulled the power stone out of the gauntlet to hit Captain Marvel, you could see it was hurting him like it did Starlord. When Tony takes them, he's not holding them directly, his nanotech forms a new gauntlet, but because his whole suit is nanotech (rather than just a gauntlet like Hulk had on), it shields him enough from the power affecting him until he snapped his fingers (thereby actually using the stones). You can see the energy starting to rip through the suit before he snaps.

Just my own internal explanation of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    I kinda miss the pre 'nanotech' days of the MCU; while post New York Invasion, it probably makes sense weapon and science research would be bumped by all that alien tech, there was a least some measure of grounded realism with the Earth bound sections; a sliver, given this is definitely Science Fantasy, not Fiction. I liked that Iron Man was 'just' a metal suit of armour. It had that "Tomorrow, +1" feeling.

I kinda agree, but at the same time it was starting to get ridiculous coming up with ways for Tony to 'suit up', particularly in his helicopter in Civil War.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Penn wrote: »
    I kinda agree, but at the same time it was starting to get ridiculous coming up with ways for Tony to 'suit up', particularly in his helicopter in Civil War.

Yeah; the rocket delivered suits stretched things to breaking point, but again they were just on the cusp of that tomorrow+1 factor. Nanobots is just pure fantasy at this stage, using a buzzword that's as misunderstood as all those "atomic" powered superheroes from the 1950s.

Actually, it's a double header of nanobots & vibranium; I complained about it in the Black Panther thread at the time, but that element has just become a plot convenience. A material that just lets you do magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Penn wrote: »

Nah the different way of applying the armour were great. Though the moving platform from avengers is my favourite.
    Was never a fan of the nanotech. I don't think its as visually intresting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Nano nano nano nano,
    Nano nano nano nano,

IRON MAN

hang on.....That’s not right

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Didn't know Jose Mourinho was in Endgame :pac:

D'oh 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Sparko wrote: »
    As far as I remember, I think it was established in Dr. Strange that she could see the future, but only to the point of her death. As she died before Dr. Strange gave away the time stone, she therefore wasn't aware it was going to happen.

Cheers, it was a small detail but bugged me, I realise it ain't the biggest plot hole in it but was the one that bugged me the most

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Sort of a gauge I use is how memorable a film is and how rewatchable. I loved a lot of the marvel films but this one is really forgettable, I remember brief glimpses and I haven’t much desire to try it again.

Compare that to a last Jedi which is unforgettable for many different reasons but at last it wasn’t meh forgettable. And I found it rewatchable in order to see if I could come to love it or even like it as it challenged me. (Jury’s still out).

Nothing about endgame is challenging at all outside the questions about the time travel or always convenient plot armor.

They should have wrapped it up in one. Infinity war and endgame I mean. There’s a lot of padding you could lose to get it there

I could see myself watching the whole Time Heist element; despite the wonky internal time-travel logic, the actual Greatest Hits tour of the MCU was fun, including the surprise cameos like Robert Redford's. But that's an emotional reaction rather than an appreciation of film in of itself. Everything else bookending the heist was just ... there. The "5 years later" smash cut was dramatic and an immediate punch, but its effect has lessened as - yes - the inconsistencies started niggling at my brain.

A material that just lets you do magic.

Until Thanos takes his sword to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

What a load of shight.
    What did I just watch - I have no idea.

1. Blonde super woman person just arrives out of nowhere, saves people, heads off to get a hair cut, comes back later to save more people. Totally random. No official introduction that I remember.

2. Thor with a beer belly and the fakest looking beard of all time - pointless and looked stupid.

3. We have a major scientific problem that seems totally unsolveable - 5 seconds later - ohh we have the answer and working system.

4. did I miss 2 hours of the previous movies that explains all the holes in End Game?

5. The Hulk being half hulk / half banner with a Ryan Reynolds sence of humour. Zero hulk smash just cheese.

6. 90% of the cameos were pointless only to say they were added to the movie.

7. I hope this really is the end of the Avengers as the last 3 movies were terrible.

8. I have no idea what the story line was supposed to be but guessing it was written on a post it note.

9. I really should have known better than to expect something good from this movie. Shame on me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Tell us how you really feel

2/10 Try harder

ugh-this-is-5cd5e2.jpg

What a load of shight.

1. Blonde super woman person just arrives out of nowhere, saves people, heads off to get a hair cut, comes back later to save more people. Totally random. No official introduction that I remember.

2. Thor with a beer belly and the fakest looking beard of all time - pointless and looked stupid.

3. We have a major scientific problem that seems totally unsolveable - 5 seconds later - ohh we have the answer and working system.

4. did I miss 2 hours of the previous movies that explains all the holes in End Game?

5. The Hulk being half hulk / half banner with a Ryan Reynolds sence of humour. Zero hulk smash just cheese.

7. I hope this really is the end of the Avengers as the last 3 movies were terrible.

8. I have no idea what the story line was supposed to be but guessing it was written on a post it note.

9. I really should have known better than to expect something good from this movie. Shame on me

Yeah, but was there anything you didn't like about the movie?

• Advertisement

What a load of shight.

Avengers End-Game was a 'season finale' of a series of films; you wouldn't drop into a Game of Thrones season finale and get irate because Character X isn't pre-announced for those dropping by. Same with Avengers; it should be fairly obvious by now that the MCU is a long-form franchise where, for instance, the "holes" aren't explained because it's presuming the audience has seen Dr. Strange, or Thor Ragnarok - or Infinity war TBH. You're complaining about the last chapter in a book not explaining where everything came from.

I have plenty of issues with End-Game, but at the same time it's blatantly obvious watching the film that it's a Victory Lap, and the various cameos and easter eggs there for fans and viewers who have been with the series from Phase 1.

Feck it I'll bite, answers in red :mad:
    What a load of shight.

1. Blonde super woman person just arrives out of nowhere, saves people, heads off to get a hair cut, comes back later to save more people. Totally random. No official introduction that I remember. The Avengers were named after her (well, her fighter jet but point stands). She was introduced to the Endgame team in the post-credits scene of Captain Marvel.

2. Thor with a beer belly and the fakest looking beard of all time - pointless and looked stupid. Is PTSD pointless and stupid? Manic depression after losing your Mother/Father/Brother/Home/Peoples?

3. We have a major scientific problem that seems totally unsolveable - 5 seconds later - ohh we have the answer and working system. Well duh, Gamma Ray expert + Quantum Physics expert + General Genius will equate to solving the problem that they didn't know they had the answer to as neither Banner nor Stark knew about Pym Particles and their use.

4. did I miss 2 hours of the previous movies that explains all the holes in End Game? Sounds like you missed at least 5 movies tbh.

5. The Hulk being half hulk / half banner with a Ryan Reynolds sence of humour. Zero hulk smash just cheese. Full explanation given by Professor Hulk, you clearly didn't pay attention.

6. 90% of the cameos were pointless only to say they were added to the movie. Are we talking Kevin Feige as a survivor cameo, or are we talking Captain Marvel as a New Avenger cameo? What's your definition of cameo in this sense?

7. I hope this really is the end of the Avengers as the last 3 movies were terrible. Of course it's the end of the Avengers, 3 of the originals are dead (Vision, Tony and Natasha) and one is old and retired (Cap). We're introduced to the New Avengers in the next Phase.

8. I have no idea what the story line was supposed to be but guessing it was written on a post it note. That's just a plain dumb anecdote, doesn't even warrant an answer.

9. I really should have known better than to expect something good from this movie. Shame on me Hopefully it's the last for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

What a load of shight.

This reads like someone stumbled home after a massive feed of Guinness and was roped into watching Endgame by the missus despite having never seen any of the previous movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

What a load of shight.

No official introduction? You must have missed the stand alone Captain Marvel film that grossed over a billion.

Thor has been wrestling with his demons for not killing Thanos when he had the chance. He is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, feeling responsible for half of the world dying. hence why he had become a reclusive, out of shape alcoholic.

But no, you're right. No point to it at all.

It's called a passage of time. Marvel movies don't take place in real time.

By the looks of your first 3 points, you clearly missed A LOT.

Point 5 is valid tbf.

I realise this post makes me seem like some kind of Marvel loyalist/incel. The reality is i'm just bored at work.

Blonde super woman person just arrives out of nowhere, saves people, heads off to get a hair cut, comes back later to save more people. Totally random. No official introduction that I remember. The Avengers were named after her (well, her fighter jet but point stands). She was introduced to the Endgame team in the post-credits scene of Captain Marvel.
    - Post credit introduction that people can miss - it's hardly a good place for an introduction

2. Thor with a beer belly and the fakest looking beard of all time - pointless and looked stupid. Is PTSD pointless and stupid? Manic depression after losing your Mother/Father/Brother/Home/Peoples?

- I get that but they would have at least improved his appearance when he got his mojo back. It was more the terrible quality of the costume that got to me more than anything else

3. We have a major scientific problem that seems totally unsolveable - 5 seconds later - ohh we have the answer and working system. Well duh, Gamma Ray expert + Quantum Physics expert + General Genius will equate to solving the problem that they didn't know they had the answer to as neither Banner nor Stark knew about Pym Particles and their use.

- you get my point - the problems were solved immediately without any trial, error, thinking etc - it was pathetic really.

4. did I miss 2 hours of the previous movies that explains all the holes in End Game? Sounds like you missed at least 5 movies tbh.
    - I have watched all the movies and none really impressed me

5. The Hulk being half hulk / half banner with a Ryan Reynolds sence of humour. Zero hulk smash just cheese. Full explanation given by Professor Hulk, you clearly didn't pay attention.
    Full explanation took 50 seconds - my point being why make the change - just leave the hulk as a smashing machien.

6. 90% of the cameos were pointless only to say they were added to the movie. Are we talking Kevin Feige as a survivor cameo, or are we talking Captain Marvel as a New Avenger cameo? What's your definition of cameo in this sense?

7. I hope this really is the end of the Avengers as the last 3 movies were terrible. Of course it's the end of the Avengers, 3 of the originals are dead (Vision, Tony and Natasha) and one is old and retired (Cap). We're introduced to the New Avengers in the next Phase.

8. I have no idea what the story line was supposed to be but guessing it was written on a post it note. That's just a plain dumb anecdote, doesn't even warrant an answer.
    - you have to admit that the story in End Game was loose, meandering and somewhat pointless.

9. I really should have known better than to expect something good from this movie. Shame on me Hopefully it's the last for you

Originally Posted by magic_murph View Post
    What a load of shight.

No official introduction? You must have missed the stand alone Captain Marvel film that grossed over a billion.
    - Can't remember if I watched the Cap Marvel movie - to be honest all the Marvel movies blur into one big ball of randomness.

Thor has been wrestling with his demons for not killing Thanos when he had the chance. He is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, feeling responsible for half of the world dying. hence why he had become a reclusive, out of shape alcoholic.

But no, you're right. No point to it at all.
    - I think you are reading too much into the emotional state of a fictional, science fiction movie character.

It's called a passage of time. Marvel movies don't take place in real time.
    WTF - the movie doesn't happen in real time. No Way.

By the looks of your first 3 points, you clearly missed A LOT.

I should add this is just my opinion of a movie - some will love, some will hate. I don't hate it - just more thought it was a terrible movie but my mistake is probably trying to compare it to other movies with real characters and a story.

- I have watched all the movies and none really impressed me

You obviously weren't paying attention, or haven't actually seen them all if you are asking who Captain Marvel is, and what was with "the holes".

EndGame was a Season Finale; if you're not up to speed on the MCU, you were always going to be lost.

You obviously weren't paying attention, or haven't actually seen them all if you are asking who Captain Marvel is, and what was with "the holes".

EndGame was a Season Finale; if you're not up to speed on the MCU, you were always going to be lost.

Incorrect - I just watched the movies as movies and didn't analyse every sentence or shadow in the background looking for clues. It's a kids movie at the end of the day so any information that needs to be presented and retained should be fairly obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Incorrect - I just watched the movies as movies and didn't analyse every sentence or shadow in the background looking for clues. It's a kids movie at the end of the day so any information that needs to be presented and retained should be fairly obvious

So a) you claim it's a kids movie yet b) you still couldn't follow it despite there being an entire titular movie 'Captain Marvel' which you also claim to have seen. You're either trolling, or just have the attention span of a lemur.

Advertisement