Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline!!! Better than pidgeons?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I've seen a package sitting outside a appartment the last 7 days,left by a courier,it's outside the wrong appartment, courier's we're told 6 days ago by Spanish chap living there, I told the driver myself when I spotted him 4 days ago.

It's still there as of yesterday. Disgraceful, someone's present or something, doubt it will get nicked as it's out of view from most residents.

But to be told,and do nothing... Fcuk me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I've seen a package sitting outside a appartment the last 7 days,left by a courier,it's outside the wrong appartment, courier's we're told 6 days ago by Spanish chap living there, I told the driver myself when I spotted him 4 days ago.

It's still there as of yesterday. Disgraceful, someone's present or something, doubt it will get nicked as it's out of view from most residents.

But to be told,and do nothing... Fcuk me.

At least you have tracking info on it.

I have been a very satisfied customer of the expensive but excellent quality photo printing service, PhotoBox, which is based on the continent, and have got many photobooks printed from my travels, and in the past delivered to me by my friendly An Post postman to my apartment complex. He used to leave it very conveniently in hallway for me. If there was any problem all I had to do was collect the item at my local post office. Items came quickly enough, and always reliably. However, PhotoBox have started using Nightline, which has caused me nightmares. I recently awaited a delivery of 7 items from PhotoBox, and it has been a total mess regarding delivery times and methods. I would get an hour notice, if at all, of an item being delivered to my door. The driver might have come and gone by the time I arrive home, even if i'm only up the road, stopped everything and returned home immediately. Then same would be repeated after arranging for re-delivery. After that tried getting it delivered to Parcel Motel, one of which is beside me. Expected notification of when it would arrive here, but no joy. Just noticed on the tracking that it had been cancelled after allegedly being in motel several days! Phoned them, they said item was oversized and would not fit in motel box and that I can collect it at Finglas. I said that wasn't at all convenient, so they have now agreed to try delivering again to my door!! Aaargh!! :mad:

One funny thing from the 1980s: as a hobby pilot I got invited to spend a day on a Cessna Titan which was operated by Iona Airways on behalf of UPS. The cargo pilots had a lonely job operating their small twin engine aircraft through the night and appreciated the unofficial company of a reliable person who had some pilot training, and maybe was considering a career in commercial aviation. It was a great insight into the job. I boarded the Titan bound for Cologne, and after a few hours kip on a camp bed in a cold outbuilding, the commercial pilots awakened to the sound of the big UPS-owned DC8 from America, which was transferring cargo to and from the light planes. At 4am pilot & I boarded through door, and aircraft was packed up full behind us with light medical equipment, medicines and medically related paper documents. In fact it was packed so tightly that we had no means of egress other than climbing through the pilot's emergency window. Upon take-off the cargo door flew open as the Cologne dispatcher had not secured it properly. The warning came on just as we were about to become airborne. Pilot had to jam on the brakes, pull onto taxiway where he got permission to park and close the door. He had to climb out window, closely past running propeller which I was nervously watching and ready to pull the fuel cut-off. He was afraid engine wouldn't restart promptly on the cold morning. We flew to Southend, disposed of much cargo, and upon taking off again I noticed fuel cap was missing from starboard wing. As he said, it was a good thing I was on board to be able to see that, and after emergency PanPan landing back in Southend (with London air traffic being diverted to further hold), he started filing an incident report detailing his failure to do wing inspection plus fuellers failure to replace cap. The pilot had been over-tired and stressed, his working conditions of poor resting facilities with very limited toilet access, and hardly any means for refreshments other than the flask he brought on at Dublin. It was a huge insight into the stressful life of a small cargo pilot, the ones who are plying the night skies to get small items delivered to us and our businesses as it was then in the 80s. And it was certainly not a glamorous piloting job.

One funny thing from the 1980s: as a hobby pilot I got invited to spend a day on a Cessna Titan which was operated by Iona Airways on behalf of UPS. The cargo pilots had a lonely job operating their small twin engine aircraft through the night and appreciated the unofficial company of a reliable person who had some pilot training, and maybe was considering a career in commercial aviation. It was a great insight into the job. I boarded the Titan bound for Cologne, and after a few hours kip on a camp bed in a cold outbuilding, the commercial pilots awakened to the sound of the big UPS-owned DC8 from America, which was transferring cargo to and from the light planes. At 4am pilot & I boarded through door, and aircraft was packed up full behind us with light medical equipment, medicines and medically related paper documents. In fact it was packed so tightly that we had no means of egress other than climbing through the pilot's emergency window. Upon take-off the cargo door flew open as the Cologne dispatcher had not secured it properly. The warning came on just as we were about to become airborne. Pilot had to jam on the brakes, pull onto taxiway where he got permission to park and close the door. He had to climb out window, closely past running propeller which I was nervously watching and ready to pull the fuel cut-off. He was afraid engine wouldn't restart promptly on the cold morning. We flew to Southend, disposed of much cargo, and upon taking off again I noticed fuel cap was missing from starboard wing. As he said, it was a good thing I was on board to be able to see that, and after emergency PanPan landing back in Southend (with London air traffic being diverted to further hold), he started filing an incident report detailing his failure to do wing inspection plus fuellers failure to replace cap. The pilot had been over-tired and stressed, his working conditions of poor resting facilities with very limited toilet access, and hardly any means for refreshments other than the flask he brought on at Dublin. It was a huge insight into the stressful life of a small cargo pilot, the ones who are plying the night skies to get small items delivered to us and our businesses as it was then in the 80s. And it was certainly not a glamorous piloting job.

Jeez cool story. I was only ordering something from a Dublin company. I hope it never got airborne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^good insight catmaniac, well told....

...people don't be too hard on courier drivers, as i said previously its a horrible stressful business to be in and most drivers get paid pittance esp the novices with little or no training

fryup wrote: »
    ^good insight catmaniac, well told....

...people don't be too hard on courier drivers, as i said previously its a horrible stressful business to be in and most drivers get paid pittance esp the novices with little or no training

I don't think anyone reasonable blames the actual drivers. Its the companies that deserve our frustration. Making promises of next day delivery when it's actually a week away and tracked to the local depot just to tease you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

but its the drivers who get it in the neck from joe public

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

I was a courier back in the early 90's. Worked for Interlink(think they're called DPD now). The workload was horrendous. Started packing the vans at 8.00 in the morning, very seldom got home before 7.00 that evening.

I cannot fu cking imagine what its like now with everything being ordered on line. Most of my work was industrial estates where now they are housing estates/one off houses in the countryside. Must be a nightmare for the drivers, mind you Eircode has probably helped them a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

DPD, I find are very good. Had to collect at the local depot 2 weeks ago and they were flat out, on a Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Biggest problem is that customers want free delivery, companies haggle low rates, drivers get paid crap.

Fine in a market with high unemployment, but causing headaches now and simply not enough drivers.

One of the reasons dpd are not as bad as the others (they do have plenty of issues though) is that they refuse to drop below a certain rate and that allows for many drivers to be employed on salary rather than piece work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

Biggest problem is that customers want free delivery

That's something that amazes me. When I worked two decades ago in the business we had a minimum rate of 12.00 IP plus VAT. I think that was anything between zero kilos and 10 kilos. Now the prices are 5/6 euro per item.

Must be a hard business to make a crust in now cause the vans are the same size as they were in my day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

CFlat wrote: »
    That's something that amazes me. When I worked two decades ago in the business we had a minimum rate of 12.00 IP plus VAT. I think that was anything between zero kilos and 10 kilos. Now the prices are 5/6 euro per item.

Must be a hard business to make a crust in now cause the vans are the same size as they were in my day!!

Its now under €4 per item for volume users with many firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They left a delivery behind a large flower pot outside our house and left no note that we had missed a delivery. It was there for 2 days before we spotted it.

I reckon they have seasonal staff hired for Christmas who are not trained properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

cursai wrote: »
    I thought you were finished with this troll account Andy.

Definitely a troll account - he has Fred Flintstone as his avatar!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find all of the courier companies the same once they get to know you.
    Littlewoods drove me mad with a parcel a while ago. I contacted them and had to.provode my postcode as a security question. The reason for delay was they said they didn't have my postcode. However one of their security question was for me

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

cursai wrote: »
    Jeez cool story. I was only ordering something from a Dublin company. I hope it never got airborne.

I ordered something from the UK once. It was delivered to their main sorting office in Ireland. Sent to Germany for dispatch. Went to the UK and then was delivered "next day" to me in Ireland. Sometimes I wish I had as glamlurous a life as some of my jet setting post!

Gael23 wrote: »

I reckon they have seasonal staff hired for Christmas who are not trained properly.

DPD had me driving my own car when i started with them:rolleyes:, was paid per drop

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

DfPbZTHWkAEKKh8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Gael23 wrote: »
    They left a delivery behind a large flower pot outside our house and left no note that we had missed a delivery. It was there for 2 days before we spotted it.

Where are they meant to put it if theres no one at the house to accept it?

(and no not there)

they've lived up to their end of the bargain, they brought a package to an address.

if you're not there to accept then thats your problem.

Also, for people who have an obstacle in the way such as gates, key code pads, locked entrance doors, missing numbers, or stupid house names instead of a fuking number what do you expect.

deliver my package which i ordered on the 10th december, because christmas only exists for me. my address is bumbleberry, 5th floor summerville manor, theres a mystery code needed to get past the gates and the postbox wont be big enough for anything bigger than an envelope. i want this done for 4 euro, ill be enraged if its not on time.

(this goes for commercial premises too btw. deliver to teds carpet emporium, no number needed, massive industrial estate, can't miss it, its the one with the bright sign)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

greencap wrote: »
    if you're not there to accept then thats your problem.

Well the economy of the country is going to go down the tubes pretty quickly if the only people who are working are Nightline delivery drivers as everyone else sits at home waiting for their packages to arrive.

I had two deliveries today, one by An Post and one by Nightline. The An Post guy called me to see what he should do with the package as I was at work (unfortunately I missed the call and only got the voicemail an hour later). As he wasn't able to get hold of me he left it with my next door neighbours and a note telling me what he'd done. There was also a second note from the Nightline guy telling me what he had done with his delivery. And sure enough it was where he said it would be - fcuked over the side gate, and I mean fcuked over, it was about 8-10 feet from the gate, and sitting on the wet ground in the pissing rain. Thankfully it was a) not breakable; and b) well packaged, but I fail to see why he couldn't have also tried a neighbour first. And this happens pretty much every time I get a delivery where they're the courier.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

be a courier for a day and then you'll understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Zaph wrote: »
    Well the economy of the country is going to go down the tubes pretty quickly if the only people who are working are Nightline delivery drivers as everyone else sits at home waiting for their packages to arrive.

I had two deliveries today, one by An Post and one by Nightline. The An Post guy called me to see what he should do with the package as I was at work (unfortunately I missed the call and only got the voicemail an hour later). As he wasn't able to get hold of me he left it with my next door neighbours and a note telling me what he'd done. There was also a second note from the Nightline guy telling me what he had done with his delivery. And sure enough it was where he said it would be - fcuked over the side gate, and I mean fcuked over, it was about 8-10 feet from the gate, and sitting on the wet ground in the pissing rain. Thankfully it was a) not breakable; and b) well packaged, but I fail to see why he couldn't have also tried a neighbour first. And this happens pretty much every time I get a delivery where they're the courier.

It's not their problem what happens to the economy.

If you go elsewhere online you find threads whinging about how items shouldn't have been left with neighbors.

The lack of personal responsibility is atrocious.

YOU organized the delivery. YOU are responsible for being capable of receiving YOUR package.

Use a parcel motel or install a parcel box. Or send it to your workplace, or a relatives. Seriously ffs. How can people be putting responsibility for their lives on a random driver.

If you can't receive it, then don't order it.

I would avoid Nightline: my experience.

The fact that Fastway exists cannot be used to make Nightline look good. I find DHL to be a far more professional company than either. Yes, I probably pay a bit more for delivery but, in my experience, they are more reliable and that's worth it. I now have to go to the trouble of asking a company who their courier is as I refuse to buy from a company which uses either Fastway or Nightline as they are simply not reliable. It would be much better if all companies had to disclose their courier company under the 'Delivery' details before we buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Switched to nightline from an post in work. Had about 80 packages going out a day. Started off good but as time went on they were not delivering next day as agreed and then started loosing packages. This would be expensive equipment. Went back to an post after 3 months

I would avoid Nightline: my experience.

The fact that Fastway exists cannot be used to make Nightline look good. I find DHL to be a far more professional company than either. Yes, I probably pay a bit more for delivery but, in my experience, they are more reliable and that's worth it. I now have to go to the trouble of asking a company who their courier is as I refuse to buy from a company which uses either Fastway or Nightline as they are simply not reliable. It would be much better if all companies had to disclose their courier company under the 'Delivery' details before we buy.

I second DHL with An Post coming second. Pigeons coming third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Does anyone know how to deal with Nightline effectively?

Every parcel they have ever delivered to me has been painful. Delivered to wrong properties. Days late. No chance of ever getting tgrough to driver if you miss the call. False calls made not giving you time to answer.

How are they still in business? They must be dirt cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Does anyone know how to deal with Nightline effectively?

Every parcel they have ever delivered to me has been painful. Delivered to wrong properties. Days late. No chance of ever getting tgrough to driver if you miss the call. False calls made not giving you time to answer.

How are they still in business? They must be dirt cheap

We had very similar with Nightline a few years ago, but have had no problems with deliveries since we took action: by contacting the retailers, complaining about the lack of deliveries, getting refunds and telling them we weren't buying from them as long as Nightline were the delivery method. We now just shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (not really) but the reviews for nightline are absolute gold.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nightline&oq=night&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j69i65l2j69i60.2832j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#istate=lrl:iv&lkt=LocalPoiReviews&rlimm=13890332878440617569

I was supposed to have a delivery recently by the supposedly better DPD but when the messing started and I saw the reviews for DPD I immediately opted with the seller to have the package sent back to ask for a refund, which will take about a month as DPD will hold the package for forever before sending it back. Still, not my problem thank God.

In saying that, I can't praise Parcel Motel, a Nightline company(!), highly enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement