Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Rage incidents. Any experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

rusty cole wrote: »
    I know of a cyclist who knocked down a very promising boxer out jogging and killed him!! the boxer smacked his head when he hit the ground. Freak accident but just the same.

Where and when did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Where and when did this happen?

I'm wondering this too because a childhood friend who was also a promising boxer was knocked down by a cyclist and killed, but that was a very long time ago.

We were both in our teens so I'm going back over 20 years.

I'm wondering this too because a childhood friend who was also a promising boxer was knocked down by a cyclist and killed, but that was a very long time ago.

We were both in our teens so I'm going back over 20 years.

Where and when did your incident happen please?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A few, but the one that stands out for me is watching a guy in traffic noiselessly shouting behind the windscreen at everyone and after a while he started punching his dashboard. He then broke the rim of the steering wheel in frustration.

The other was on the Tallaght bypass(at the pyramid Square turn off) a decade back, where some irritable pencil neck stuck in traffic was shouting at the car in front. Then he laid into the horn for long blasts. Then the lad got out from the car in front and calmly walked back to the horn blower's car. This lad had more muscles stuck to him than Dun Laoghaire pier. A short exchange of words ensued, followed by the big lad dragging the pencil neck out off his car via the window in a reverse Dukes of Hazard stylee(showing my age).

tenor.gif

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Posted this in a trival annoyances thread last year:

Learning to drive in my early thirties. It's going pretty well. Had a lesson today and at a right turn at a crossroads I didn't quite complete the turn as fast as I should. As I was looking into the new road, a woman waiting to exit beeped at me and I could see her flailing her arms wildly inside the car while her face was contorted into what was no doubt a string of abuse aimed at me.

Maybe the fact that I was in a car covered in about 17 million Ls together with 'Driving School' written in massive letters on its side might give her some indication why I wasn't driving like pro.

People who have no patience for learners are assh*les who clearly forget they were once learners themselves.

Didn't particularily bother me but I could understand how it could phase a more nervous or less confident learner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Boy racer on the Ring of Kerry road between Torc Waterfall and Moll's Gap. ie a narrow winding road with no pull ins - and he was so close he made it impossible. Headlights on full.... revving and roaring.... mile after mile... A local lad. In a souped up car.. late evening so it was dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

1.35mins in .

Still one of the funniest pieces of caught on camera incidents ever. Some dent put in "Johnnie Pickerings" ego there alright. :D

I don't have an 'incident', sorry.

But Rusty Cole posted about a promising boxer who was knocked down and killed by a cyclist. It reminded me of a friend from my teen years who was also a promising boxer, he was knocked down by a cyclist and died of head injuries. I was wondering if it was the same lad.

But if you want I can give an incident which I've posted about in the cycling forum.

In 1995 I was knocked down by a cyclist on Ashling Quay, Dublin. I fractured both elbows and my right wrist.

My daughter was born two weeks later and I wasn't allowed hold her because of my injuries. The bloody cyclist cycled off, scumbag.

Personally I don't get road rage, but I've had some people scream their heads off at me and even some people get out of their cars to me. But I'm good at bringing about peace through superior intimidation, so nothings ever come of it.

A taxi driver mounted the footpath and drove over my foot. Then got out of the car and screamed at me.

There was a road involved, and rage. So I suspect that counts. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Gas, brake, honk. Gas, brake, honk. Honk, honk, punch! Gas, gas, gas

For the last time, go home Yank.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Some lad in a shítbucket of a car broke a red and the girl I was with at the time beeped him as he cut the corner very, very tight as she was moving forward on green.
    He called her a cúnt and told her to fcuk off and spat out the window, either thinking he'd get away with it or didn't see me.
    As he broker the read the lane he moved into was backed up so I walked around the car to him.
    He got out acting the big man, that didn't last long. His buddy never moved from the passenger seat.

Thankfully the car behind saw it all too, said she'd confirm what happened if I wanted to call the police.
    Reported it to them to save my own back but never heard any more of it, more out of the fact I'd given him a dig or two.

He must’ve been shivering, fairly stupid thing to do BTW.

1.35mins in .

Still one of the funniest pieces of caught on camera incidents ever. Some dent put in "Johnnie Pickerings" ego there alright. :D

How did you know what they were saying without subtitles?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    He must’ve been shivering, fairly stupid thing to do BTW.

Calling her a cnut? I agree.

Thanks, Captain Hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

One had someone in a car nearly ram me into a central median on my motorbike because he didn't see me. Admitted he didnt see me because he didn't check his mirror. I told him he didn't need it and took it with me. :pac:

The local Gards weren't too pleased and asked me to sign a lovely document to say I wont do it again. Granted my wall of mirrors is complete and I've somewhat calmed down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lucky for you - the quoted episode aired 23 years ago, that enough years for ya??

Now where's that any key
    Lisa needs braces!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

in Poland driving along and driver behind me started trying to pass me and flashing me. Was a single lane road at this stage so i kept going (was at a normal enough pace, i wasn't too slow or too fast). road came to dual carriage way so i took the slow lane and he took the fast lane but drove along side me and gestured me, rolled down his windows and started shouting. I was driving a German rental car at the time so this could have been part of the issue. so i gave him the one finger salute (i know very brave!) this drove him banana's altogether and he kept along side me for a couple of miles and i just ignored him. I could see a traffic lights in the distance and i started to panic wondering what would i do it they were red when i approached. low and behold they turned red and he was still beside me. i stopped about 100 meters from the red lights and he stopped behind me and got out of the car - big brute of a lad with a baseball bat. I just took off slowly, faster than running speed and by the time i reached the red light it had turned green and that was the last i seen of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Witnessed a big argument between a van and a bicycle once. Very unsavoury scenes

I believe the cyclist banged his fist off the sidedoor of the van and the two occupants got out, smacked him, and threw his bike into the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I have to travel from Ballymount to Wicklow town once a week and I have lost count of the number of creatures doing just below the prevailing speed limit on both the M50 and the M11 holding up the cars behind them and refusing to move into the leftmost lane to let cars pass.

Recently I got in traffic on the m50 southbound behind a horsebox( empty) being drawn by an SUV with Garda makings, possibly the equestrian wing of the Garda Siochana. He wasn't slouching. I was amused and amazed how quickly traffic ahead of him on the rightmost lane pulled out of the way very quickly so that all I had to do was to follow him closely and got to my destination at least 15 minutes earlier than usual. All the usual muppets pulled in out of the way very quickly instead of trying to do 100kph in the rightmost lane of the M50 south of jct 14, where the actual speed limit is 120kph. It is amazing how people pull in when a vehicle has GARDA written all over it but won't pull in for other cars even when doing below the posted speed limit.

I have lost count of the slow coaches sitting in the outer lane of our motorways slowing everybody down, but it was delightful to see that most are very observant when followed by a GARDA car and quickly get out of the way.

Pity they don't do it for "ordinary" civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

There isn’t a driver alive who has come out Anglesey Road from Ballsbridge and tried to get out on to the N11 Stillorgan Road and through that yellow box at rush hour on a regular basis who hasnt witnessed road rage!

Jaysus just wait and see the airs and graces of the south Dublin missus disappear as she fires insults from her gob that would make a hardened dockyard worker blush as the accent disappears!

Witnessed it myself on numerous cases and got an earful from one such lady who proceeded to get out of her Land Rover to shout abuse at me cos I had hesitated for probably 5 seconds or so which meant the light turned red to turn on to the N11.

I actually sat there smiling at her as she fired abuse at me, I rolled down my window and simply asked her “are you ok?”

This seemed to completely throw her and she stood there saying “sorry, what” so I asked again “are you ok?” because you just abandoned your car in the middle of the road with your kids sitting in it and one of them is now crying all because you have been held up for probably 2 mins dues to a missed light!”

She mumbled a sorry I think and just got back in to her Land Rover.

Surreal what road rage does!

• Advertisement

Witnessed a big argument between a van and a bicycle once. Very unsavoury scenes

I believe the cyclist banged his fist off the sidedoor of the van and the two occupants got out, smacked him, and threw his bike into the river.

I caught a guy on a bicycle on Aston Quay (Dublin, 'in town' :P ) who had just robbed a girls mobile phone.

Beat the crap out of him, silly fella assaulted me when I caught him.. Then I threw his bike into the Liffey :pac:

I had to walk across the road to do it, so I'll count it as a road rage incident :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I was driving a truck several years ago, stopped at a junction behind an L driver. I'm a patient sort the moron behind wasn't. The L driver was very hesitant at pulling out but finally did but it was too late for me to edge out. A truck can't go 0 to 60 in 9 seconds. Through all this the moron behind is sitting on the horn, so I put on the brake get out of the cab with the keys and walk back to the lad behind. Knocked on his window and informed him that I can't get a break in traffic that will let me in but if he thinks he can do better to go ahead and try. I offered him the keys but he declined and apologized. Being 6'2" and wearing my favourite muscle enhancing t shirt probably helped .

I don't have an 'incident', sorry.

But Rusty Cole posted about a promising boxer who was knocked down and killed by a cyclist. It reminded me of a friend from my teen years who was also a promising boxer, he was knocked down by a cyclist and died of head injuries. I was wondering if it was the same lad.
    It was this case, your boxer friend that I was referring to. These cases are very rare in Ireland and rare in the UK. I was wondering if your case was one of the ones I've already heard of. That's why I asked about where and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

seen 2 lads pull over beside the off ramp of the N4 beside woodies in lucan having a fist fight in the first lane of the N4 one time.

It was this case, your boxer friend that I was referring to. These cases are very rare in Ireland and rare in the UK. I was wondering if your case was one of the ones I've already heard of. That's why I asked about where and when.

It was a very long time ago, and yes thankfully they're rare cases.

There are idiots on bicycles, motorbikes, cars, vans, trucks, buses etc etc.

Car drivers think its only cyclists who constantly brake traffic lights, but in my experience car drivers do it in equal amounts too. Esp at the larger junctions before I proceed off from a green light I've to wait for a number of car's running the red before its safe for me to proceed.

Then there are the mobile phone users.. These cretins leave me flabbergasted, like why in the name of God would you not only risk the lives of everyone around you but your own too.

When I ride my motorbike on the M50 to work I've tried to keep count of the number of people browing social media sites whilst driving. I've lost count every time, its an impossible task. These pricks bring out the tinker in me.

It was a very long time ago, and yes thankfully they're rare cases.

There are idiots on bicycles, motorbikes, cars, vans, trucks, buses etc etc.

Car drivers think its only cyclists who constantly brake traffic lights, but in my experience car drivers do it in equal amounts too. Esp at the larger junctions before I proceed off from a green light I've to wait for a number of car's running the red before its safe for me to proceed.

Then there are the mobile phone users.. These cretins leave me flabbergasted, like why in the name of God would you not only risk the lives of everyone around you but your own too.

When I ride my motorbike on the M50 to work I've tried to keep count of the number of people browing social media sites whilst driving. I've lost count every time, its an impossible task. These pricks bring out the tinker in me.
    Idiots on all modes for sure, though not all modes of idiots routinely kill and maim others.

I share your concerns about the epidemic of mobile phone abuse. Irish drivers came out 2nd worst in Europe for mobile phone abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I still love this video :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

2008ish.

When the m50 toll bridge was just about still in existence I cut up a horse lorry to skip him as we came out of the toll.

It was a kinda 50/50 manoeuvre. No need for it but gained me nothing in that old carpark.

He drove clean into the back of me and laughed.
    I was unimpressed and then he jumped out roaring and shouting.

I also jumped out, not roaring but not happy at fairly minor damage to my pride and joy. Problem was we were blocking the whole M50. A van of builders in lane beside me stopped to laugh at us pair of fools roaring.

Another fella beside jumped out to calm all down.

I realised quickly this was all very stupid. Number of stud farm he worked for on the front of his truck. Other lad who jumped out gave me business card as witness.

His employer settled up after.

Nobody's greatest hour.

(Love all stories where other guy backs down cus you're John Rambo. Unlikely really. Pretty sizeable myself and not an outcome I'd expect)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I cut out in front of someone at a mini roundabout, there was a lorry parked blocking my view from the right and I didn't see him till the last minute. Still it was completely my fault though, I stopped, waved apologetically and he went through. He kept beeping at me and we ended up side by side in lanes at the next roundabout. I could sense him looking at me and he wouldn't stop beeping. I turned and smiled at him and gave him the finger, yes, childish I know, but he was totally over reacting. At this point I saw it was an elderly man and he went nuts inside the car, shaking his fist at me and shouting. When I moved onto the roundabout even though I couldn't stop laughing I was a little afraid he was going to follow me:(
    I was a passenger in my daughter's car and she entered a roundabout just before the car coming from the right but in no way cutting it up. Another elderly man again, he followed us into Tesco and started shouting out of his window at my daughter telling her she needed to go back to driver's school.
    I will call someone every name under the sun, unheard in the car, if they do something stupid or blast the horn if someone does something
    extremely dangerous. Short of actually colliding with another car, I can't see the point in getting so wound up, not good for anyone.

• Advertisement

2008ish.

When the m50 toll bridge was just about still in existence I cut up a horse lorry to skip him as we came out of the toll.

It was a kinda 50/50 manoeuvre. No need for it but gained me nothing in that old carpark.

He drove clean into the back of me and laughed.
    I was unimpressed and then he jumped out roaring and shouting.

I also jumped out, not roaring but not happy at fairly minor damage to my pride and joy. Problem was we were blocking the whole M50. A van of builders in lane beside me stopped to laugh at us pair of fools roaring.

Another fella beside jumped out to calm all down.

I realised quickly this was all very stupid. Number of stud farm he worked for on the front of his truck. Other lad who jumped out gave me business card as witness.

His employer settled up after.

Nobody's greatest hour.

(Love all stories where other guy backs down cus you're John Rambo. Unlikely really. Pretty sizeable myself and not an outcome I'd expect)

Plenty John rambos in this thread, In their minds anyway.

Advertisement