Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Very tempted but overwhelmed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,825 ✭✭✭✭unkel

deegs wrote: »
    I was on dual carriageway and flooring it from about 60kmph I mention a lack of power and we discussed sports mode but didn't change as I was getting a feel for it. Not a huge issue, just looking for omph at 60ish so I can over take lorries on the secondary roads when I hit a straight stretch. Not too shabby if that's my only issue!

Acceleration from 0km/h is excellent, but acceleration from 60km/h to overtake is ok, but certainly no better than the tdi in turbo rev range. And there is very noticeable lack of power when accelerating from say 100km/h in Ioniq. You know it only has 118bhp when you do that :D

Kona has a lot more power, so doesn't have this problem

People who have driven the old Leaf and the new model have said the same, as the new Leaf has a lot more power, so can accelerate much better at motorway speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Ioniq is much better value for money unless you really need the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Just making sure this work charger will charge the ionic within 8 hours. I have a spec sheet and it's a 7kwh charger but it doesn't say if the apapter / charger will fit the ionic?

Just making sure this work charger will charge the ionic within 8 hours. I have a spec sheet and it's a 7kwh charger but it doesn't say if the apapter / charger will fit the ionic?

The cable that comes with your car has a standard plug that fits all slow chargers in Ireland. The difference is on the other side of the cable - the plug that goes into a Leaf and Ioniq e.g. is a different type.
    So no worries here.

Yes the cable that came with your Ioniq will fit and that charger will charge the Ioniq from completely empty to completely full in about 4 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

unkel wrote: »
    Nope you're not missing anything. Dump your old car and buy a brand new EV like a Leaf or an Ioniq. You will save a fortune with your mileage.

I'm only doing about average mileage myself, but it is now cheaper for me (total cost of ownership) to own my Ioniq that I bought brand new than my previous car, which I got for a few hundred quid and which was 16 years old (the car was reliable and I did the maintenance myself - so not a money pit)

I’m genuinely intrigued...

I’m currently driving a bangernomics 1.9 diesel which only cost me a couple of grand so there’s no discernible depreciation..

I do all my own serving and most repairs but the car is reliable and costs me very little to keep on the road..

My mileage is low and would defiantly suit a full EV although I would probably only buy PHEV as I couldn’t be arsed with the planning and potential delays involved on the occasional longer trip..

How would my cost of ownership be less ?

My car was not a 1.9 diesel but a 3l petrol :p

So tax + petrol + depreciation was about 1700 + 2500 + 0 = 4200

My EV: tax + electricity + depreciation: 120 + 100 + 2000 = 2220

Cheaper to buy a brand new car than to keep driving my worthless banger! Everything else is cheaper too. Maintenance, tolls, insurance, etc.

My car was not a 1.9 diesel but a 3l petrol :p

So tax + petrol + depreciation was about 1700 + 2500 + 0 = 4200

My EV: tax + electricity + depreciation: 120 + 100 + 2000 = 2220

Cheaper to buy a brand new car than to keep driving my worthless banger! Everything else is cheaper too. Maintenance, tolls, insurance, etc.

Unkel, you’ve missed €25k towards a new car :).
    The poster above is asking how come he’d be better off with an EV. If he plans to buy a new/nearly new car then the math is good, but in his case I think the bangeronomics work...

peposhi wrote: »
    Unkel, you’ve missed €25k towards a new car :)

It is you who missed the two grand depreciation I included ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

The depreciation is the inverse of upfront purchase cost so it works out the same I suppose.
    In my scenario I'm getting a loan and my loan repayments + tax + feul + maintenance on new car cones to 500 per month. On my old diesel it comes to 800+ per month (and I also service and do minor repairs myself). For the few years of my loan I'm almost halving my total cost of ownership after I pay off the loan I've almost eliminated it. Practically free car with practically free fuel and a warranty for 8 years or 200km on battery!

The simpliest way is to figure out your fuel, tax + maintenance cost (even if doing yourself) and see how long it would take to pay back a new car by eliminating them. Then you will be left with a free car.

I sure as hell want to pay 26k to Hyundai over 3 years and get a cool car at the end, than pay 26k to topaz (diesel), government(tax), and AUDI/factors (parts) to barely keep my old car on the road... The upgrade in safety tech alone is staggering.

Anyway... I put down a deposit today... Only 3 left in Ireland unless someone cancels their order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It is you who missed the two grand depreciation I included ;)

2k depreciation? That's less than 180 a month. And it's not what your spending on a car. Just a theoretical decrease in value.

A new ioniq needs a 10k deposit and 389 a month. That's 4680 a year cost to buy an EV. Plus tax and fuel of course.

Lantus wrote: »
    2k depreciation? That's less than 180 a month. And it's not what your spending on a car. Just a theoretical decrease in value.

Just a theoretical decrease in value? I think you'll find depreciation is a real cost.

Depreciation, interest (if you have to borrow money to buy the car) and opportunity costs of money (if you don't have to borrow money to buy the car, you could have invested it which would generate money) are the costs, what you actually paid for the car is irrelevant to total cost of owning it...

Thanks guys..

I was getting a bit excited there but it would add to my costs quite significantly..

At the very most I use 2 tanks of diesel a month and when I factor in tax, insurance and maintenance, I’m paying a lot less then €600.

I’d need to be doing a lot of mileage, paying a lot of tolls and have a good bit go wrong..

I wouldn’t factor in depreciation on a bangornomics as I write off the purchase cost as soon as I buy it..

I wouldn’t factor in expensive failures either as I’ve only had a couple in over 20 years.

I can’t wait to get an EV but couldn’t justify paying more for it..

Guess I’ll keep the tractor going a bit longer..

Best of luck with the new car deegs :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Just a theoretical decrease in value? I think you'll find depreciation is a real cost.

Depreciation, interest (if you have to borrow money to buy the car) and opportunity costs of money (if you don't have to borrow money to buy the car, you could have invested it which would generate money) are the costs, what you actually paid for the car is irrelevant to total cost of owning it...

To most of us what we pay for a car is very relevant. Its a question of affordability.

Depreciation costs are nice but not at the expense of real world cost. What comes out your pay packet every month.

Still a possibility, Rennaws. If you buy something like a 2014 Leaf for about €9k, you will very likely have almost zero depreciation. These cars in fact have been going up in value in the last year or so, even though the model was replaced with a brand new one. Your depreciation will almost certainly cost you less than 2 tanks of diesel a month plus the extra €500 per year you pay on tax on your diesel compared to an EV

Lantus wrote: »
    To most of us what we pay for a car is very relevant. Its a question of affordability.

Most people in Ireland can't afford to buy a car hence why PCP is so popular here :D

Still a possibility, Rennaws. If you buy something like a 2014 Leaf for about €9k, you will very likely have almost zero depreciation. These cars in fact have been going up in value in the last year or so, even though the model was replaced with a brand new one. Your depreciation will almost certainly cost you less than 2 tanks of diesel a month plus the extra €500 per year you pay on tax on your diesel compared to an EV

Just had a good look at carsireland and private sales on Donedeal.

I'm not crazy about the Leaf. I prefer the later model.. I also like the the ionic and the i3 but they would all require a significant spend and i've got used to very cheap driving.

I notice the Prius's are now in Bangornomics range so they'll all make their way down the line soon enough..

I'm in no rush to lose the ICE but as soon as it makes financial sense i'll get one. I imagine the fast charging network should vastly improve over the next year or so too.

Rennaws wrote: »
    I'm not crazy about the Leaf. I prefer the later model..

I'd prefer a Tesla Model S P100D Ludicrous over my modest Ioniq. But we can't always get what we want :p

But we can't always get what we want :p

We can if we wait long enough..

I’ve owned a few €100k plus cars.

I’ve never paid more then €8k

So have I.

I'll be dead before a working P100D Ludicrous is available for under €8k though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,406 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So have I.

I'll be dead before a working P100D Ludicrous is available for under €8k though :p

Interestingly, I don't think any Tesla will ever reach a value of €8k. There's too much inherent value in that much battery storage.

I’ve never paid more then €8k

Similar to myself. Other than my e61 I don't think I've paid more than €8k for any other (non classic) car.

Other than my brand new EV, the most I've ever paid for any car was €11k for a '96 E38 BMW 735iA executive. The original owner paid about the same sum just to upgrade the standard leather seats to Nappa leather comfort seats :D

Advertisement