Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson Airwrap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I got it just before Christmas and have just used it once so far.
    first off, I have thick heavy dead straight hair so my experience of it prob doesn’t fully reflect its abilities.
    It’s really simple to use and you get a great looking curl but for me, 30-60 seconds later it had disappeared... I plan to practice more and a friend suggested i add mousse to my wet hair so i’ll try that in effort to hold it better. The pack recommends you practice with the thicker barrel (i got the complete) but i found the smaller barrel worked better for me.
    I also didn’t section my hair off well.
    All in all, I can see how good it is for people with normall hair, but i’m not 100% convinced yet that it’s suitable for my hair. I may return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi, I got it before Christmas as well. I've used it twice, yesterday after washing, took me a while to get the hang of it. I have long thick hair, but it holds curls really well, well it does when i go to the hairdressers, yesterday looked fab but like the previous poster the curls dropped really quickly but it looked like a nice blow dry.

Today i sprayed my hair, now it was pretty dry but the curl is holding much better. Like that i'm going to get some mousse, blow-dry spray and hairspray to see if that helps it hold.

There's definitely a knack to it and i am useless at doing my hair, but for day 2 i'm happy, going keep using it most days until I get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think the second day styling thing is relevant. My hair is far too soft after washing to hold anything and is always better on 2nd day.

Still dying to get one of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Keep the reviews coming in
    I am tempted but hefty price tag is putting me off
    Have frizzy kinky hair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

What's put me off a lot of the reviews I've seen on YouTube is that most of the reviewers are using it on barely damp hair with no product, then complaining that the curls drop after a period of time.
    I know it's Dyson and I know it's expensive but I feel a lot of reviewers are kind of expecting it to be magic - decent reviews are few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

First time using it Stephens night. I have a lot of hair but it’s very very fine. Very easy to use. Curls looked good when done initially but they didn’t last for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Got one from santa (via myself paying towards it :))
    Used it Christmas day but was in a hurry and while it was straight it wasnt the best, used it for the second time today with just the straightening brush and got much better results!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Just wondering if the christmas purchasers have any further opinions on the airwrap after using for a few weeks?

Those that have owned the dyson hairdryer, how does it compare to the smaller dryer attachment that comes with the airwrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi, The more I use it the more I love it, I have blow-dried my hair straight with it once, all done and dusted in 12 minutes and I didn't need to use the GHD after. My husband couldn't believe I had washed my hair I was ready so quickly!

I am slowly getting the knack of the curls and I love it, getting faster every time too. You definitely need product but I think it's well worth the money. I wash my hair every 3 days - day 1 curl with airwrap, day 2 brush out curls have wavy hair, day 3 - perfect for full ponytail or sometimes I run GHD through too curl and they sit so well, like the hair has curl memory!

I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

My luck hasn't really changed with it. I've only used it twice and the curls don't last longer than about 2 mins. I've been messaging back and forth with Dyson as I'm pretty sure I'm going to send it back but gonna give it one last shot using mousse and see how I get on.
    Not confident so I think I'll be returning it.

• Advertisement

HiGlo wrote: »
    My luck hasn't really changed with it. I've only used it twice and the curls don't last longer than about 2 mins. I've been messaging back and forth with Dyson as I'm pretty sure I'm going to send it back but gonna give it one last shot using mousse and see how I get on.
    Not confident so I think I'll be returning it.

If you have a Brown Thomas near you maybe you could have a chat with the people who are in there demonstrating it (there's a stand in BT Limerick anyway) and see if they have any tips re best products/method to use for your hair type?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I’m wondering how those who bought this are finding it 18 months later?

I was always tempted by it and I’m seriously thinking about buying it now but I’d like to hear how people are getting on with it after a period of time.

I already have a ghd straightener which I use a lot and a babyliss curl secret which I loved at the start but haven’t used in nearly 2 years now and I’m afraid this would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I still love it. I couldn't be with out it now. I changed my hair style so it's a lob and I only straighten it but I've it dried and styled in ten min from wet. I've thick hair so to me it's a god sent :D I will try the curl with shorter hair, I just don't have the time at the min. I recommend it to everyone.

I still love it. I couldn't be with out it now. I changed my hair style so it's a lob and I only straighten it but I've it dried and styled in ten min from wet. I've thick hair so to me it's a god sent :D I will try the curl with shorter hair, I just don't have the time at the min. I recommend it to everyone.

Thanks for this. My hair is just above my shoulders at the moment and I’d love to be able to dry it straight but with volume. Like you Said curls just take time And I probably wouldn’t use it much for that but if I can get good volume Easily it would be worth it to me.

Thanks for this. My hair is just above my shoulders at the moment and I’d love to be able to dry it straight but with volume. Like you Said curls just take time And I probably wouldn’t use it much for that but if I can get good volume Easily it would be worth it to me.

I don't need volume (I've a lot of hair) but I do add a little bit at my roots and find it easy to get rid of the flatness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm thinking of putting this on my Christmas wishlist so this is a timely thread bump :)

Faith wrote: »
    I'm thinking of putting this on my Christmas wishlist so this is a timely thread bump :)

This might be a Christmas present to myself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I have a big birthday this year and we were supposed to be going on a blow out holiday in Asia for it - once I get the deposit back from that cancellation, I think this will be my birthday present to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I’d like to try it first before buying
    Is there any demo places ?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

foodaholic wrote: »

BT and possibly Currys have stands where you can try.

• Advertisement

foodaholic wrote: »
    Dyson do a 30 day return even if you've used it.

I just love mine, its worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭smree

Dyson do a 30 day return even if you've used it.

I just love mine, its worth every penny.

Be careful ordering from Dyson at the moment. I purchased the straightener in March and it never worked properly. I have been communicating with their customer service regularly and the courier company they use in Ireland won't handle returns atm and Dyson aren't doing anything to facilitate an alternative way to return i.e. go to one of their outlets to return etc but even though I've never had a working product the guarantee is still running down (they made sure to let me know that when I can eventually get a replacement the guarantee is from the original purchase date).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

lashes34 wrote: »
    BT and possibly Currys have stands where you can try.

Armors have/had a stand you can try.

This is back in stock on Dyson.ie for anyone waiting since December! I bought the complete set for long hair today, being delivered tomorrow and I can’t freaking wait.

I checked with Dyson directly and the order is being fulfilled from their Dublin warehouse so no additional customs on delivery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got the complete set for Christmas! Being honest, my hair type probably isn’t ideal for needing it. My biggest issue is that my hair is so fine that the sections dry before I can get to them properly with the curling attachments, even without predrying. I also had really gotten the hang of using a GHD to curl my hair and I’m not convinced the air wrap is any quicker. It takes a while to get used to curling with it! But it does do a lovely job, and the “smooth and straight” attachment is very handy for every day hair drying, particularly as it’s easier to add a bit of volume at the roots with it than a separate brush and dryer.

Faith wrote: »
    I got the complete set for Christmas! Being honest, my hair type probably isn’t ideal for needing it. My biggest issue is that my hair is so fine that the sections dry before I can get to them properly with the curling attachments, even without predrying. I also had really gotten the hang of using a GHD to curl my hair and I’m not convinced the air wrap is any quicker. It takes a while to get used to curling with it! But it does do a lovely job, and the “smooth and straight” attachment is very handy for every day hair drying, particularly as it’s easier to add a bit of volume at the roots with it than a separate brush and dryer.

That's interesting and helpful, thanks Faith. I have fine, wavy/kinky hair that tends to frizz and so ends up looking dull and fuzzy. It can't handle any level of product without becoming lank and greasy at the roots. I usually end up just tying it up, I'm over fighting with it.
    I have a feeling this would work for me but it's a hell of an investment for something that mightn't work, especially as I'm fickle so so might not use it much even if it works well :D
    Ah well, someday shops will be open again and I'll get round to getting a demo!

It arrived today and already I’m considering selling every other hair tool I own :D

I’d washed my hair and left to dry naturally this morning. When it arrived I dampened my hair slightly and used the stiff brush to smooth it out and put some shape on the bottom. Looks brilliant and despite having long-ish thick hair it only took 10 mins! Then I couldn’t wait so I dampened my hair again and used the narrow curl attachments. Took my a few goes to get the hang of getting my hair on to the barrel but I got in to the swing quickly.

Left is my hair naturally, middle is after using the stiff smoothing brush, right is after using the narrow curling barrel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Great. Now I want a Dyson Airwrap!!

I got this for christmas too and i'm really enjoying it.

I have fine hair but lots of it and usually just straighten it with my GHD. I cannot blowdry my hair myself to give volume to my roots and to be honest i'm never mad about my hair when its blowdried straight by a hairdresser as it loses all volume.

So as a complete blowdrying newbie i found this relatively easy to use, it takes me much less time then drying followed by straightening and i prefer the results i get. I haven't tried curling yet so i'll update when i do.

Overall while this is expensive i think it is worth it for me. However if you are good at blowdrying and have other tools that work for you i'd say its not worth it.

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    Great. Now I want a Dyson Airwrap!!

This has been me for mooonths! :o

I’m good at doing my own hair anyway but this was so easy. Like I don’t doubt that I could get the results in the middle pic by blow drying my hair, straightening it and then putting the top and front sections in to some sponge rollers but it would take over an hour easily and then would have to sit with the rollers in for the guts of another hour. It only took me 10 mins with the Airwrap and I probably got a better result too.

Advertisement