Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaa watcher to Gaa player

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

This weeks training.

Monday: Just walking, i was sore after the day before
    Tuesday: Gaa Training, The worst wetting ive ever had.
    Wednesday: Couch to 5k Week 6 Run 3
    Thursday: Gaa training. Steady enough ahead of game on Sunday.
    Friday: Short run of about a km just to keep legs moving. Had physio for my neck too. She cracked it and christ theres some difference
    Saturday: Just messing about with the little lad. No training
    Sunday: Junior championship Semi Final. No Game time

Time to concentrate on solo training again now but enjoyed the few months with the team. For anyone trying to make friends/get active junior gaa is great. All shapes and abilities welcomed with open arms. Great for the noggin too.

Disappointed but not surprised not to get a game yesterday. We never really got going but our lads died with their boots on.

Weight 15 st 12.

Ran my first ever 5k this evening. Delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Fair play, chief. You got out what you put in.

A Good week, did something every day.

Monday: First ever 5k covered, (Week 7 run 1) 4m.22s- A fecking long time coming but delighted to finally hit that distance.

Tuesday: Zoom yoga organised by work (Imagine telling me 2 years ago id be doing yoga at 8 oclock on a tuesday morning lol)

Wednesday: Brought the dog for a walk and it absolutely lashed after about 500m. It was so heavy the poor little jack russell nearly had to swim home.

Thursday:Couch to 5k Week 7 Run 2: 39m 12s Another 5K, 3k walk with the dog in the afternoon

Friday: Couch to 5k Week 7 Run 3: 5km, 39m 1 s

Saturday: 61km cycle with the cycling club. Felt fierce strong on the bike and even put a few seasoned lads under pressure towards the end. Average 26km/h. Could have been faster but some were dropped on the hills etc.

Sunday: Couch to 5k week 8 Run 1: Did this on a treadmill at home as the weather was rotten. 5 min walk warm up and 25 min continuous run. Covered 3.57km according to the watch.

Weight: 15 st 11

Diet: Not great tbh towards the weekend.

Last weeks training

Monday: Couch to 5k Week 8 Run 2, Supposed to be 5 min warmup and a 28min continuous run. I did the 5 minute walk and ran until i hit 5k. 39min 9s

Tuesday: Zilch, busy in work

Wednesday: Zilch, busy in work

Thursday: Couch to 5k week 8 run 3: I just walked and then ran until 5k again. 36mins 20s. 3 minute PB

Friday: had the ay off for the dentist so i did a 20km cycle with herself in the evening. Not really any sort of pace for me but nice to be out with her all the same. I did one of them body coach fitness videos with the little lad when i picked him up for the evening.

Saturday: 45km spin with the cousin over a few nice hills. Great first half and then he started suffering so we slowed it down.

Sunday: 64km spin with the local lads and then a 8km cycle with the missus and my son after. On the group spin i left the group at the end and gave it socks up the big hill beside the house. Nice pr on the segment.

Weight: same as last week this morning.

Plans for this week:

3 runs: Tonight is my last couch to 5k session.
    1 strength session and a work yoga session
    Im not allowed cycle with the cycling club at the moment as im across the border from them. Have been feeling that ive always a bit left in the tank on the few cycles ive done lately so im going to go out on my own next weekend and really empty the tank to see how i fare out.

• Advertisement

Busy few days in work so didnt get to my weekly log til today.

Monday: Did feck all

Tuesday: Couch to 5K Week 9- The final run. 35:39 A big Milestone

Wednesday: Walked up to a local hill, did some hill repeats and then ran home. Total run: 2.5k

Thursday: 18k cycle in the morning, 5k run in the evening 34:06

Friday: 3k Run, I was sore for this and turned back early. Not great to be wimping out. Headphones stopping didnt help. 3km

Saturday: 15km on the bike with the missus. Slow but getting the legs turning. Spent the evening at sheep at home. Ended up on 16k steps.Not helped by my son letting lambs out of the pen after wed rounded them up.

Sunday: 61km cycle @ 25km/h with 7 locals.
    Another 21km @ 25km/h after a Sandwich. I felt good so went back out. Would of done more but wanted to see the Kildare game.

totals for the week:

Bike: 115km
    Run: 15km

Weight: 15st 10 the last time i weighed myself. Im trying to not weigh myself daily as i dont think its very good for the head.

Plan now is keep her lit during lockdown and dont go back like i did the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Busy few days in work so didnt get to my weekly log til today.

Monday: Did feck all

Tuesday: Couch to 5K Week 9- The final run. 35:39 A big Milestone

Wednesday: Walked up to a local hill, did some hill repeats and then ran home. Total run: 2.5k

Thursday: 18k cycle in the morning, 5k run in the evening 34:06

Friday: 3k Run, I was sore for this and turned back early. Not great to be wimping out. Headphones stopping didnt help. 3km

Saturday: 15km on the bike with the missus. Slow but getting the legs turning. Spent the evening at sheep at home. Ended up on 16k steps.Not helped by my son letting lambs out of the pen after wed rounded them up.

Sunday: 61km cycle @ 25km/h with 7 locals.
    Another 21km @ 25km/h after a Sandwich. I felt good so went back out. Would of done more but wanted to see the Kildare game.

totals for the week:

Bike: 115km
    Run: 15km

Weight: 15st 10 the last time i weighed myself. Im trying to not weigh myself daily as i dont think its very good for the head.

Plan now is keep her lit during lockdown and dont go back like i did the last time.

+
    Great highlights reel you could put together with the above. You've built real momentum and consistency over the past few months and its paying off. More power to you!

Late doing my log in again

Monday: Feck all

Tuesday: 5k in the lashing rain

Wednesday: 2km run with my son, Enjoyable to do with him

Thursday:3km walk in the evening

Friday: Got a wisdom tooth out so did nothing.

Saturday: 2.5km run around the road and cross country over a hill to home. A lot of walking with my son moving sheep and stuff. Ended on 15k steps

Sunday: 61km on the Bike. 42km with dad at 25km/h and 18km withthe missus at 20km/h. Did a 2km run that night for speed. 6min per km.

Joined to do the movember move challenge in work. Instead of doing the 60k in the month im going to try and run 5k every day of November.

Last week

Monday: Zero, A combination of being busy with work, Lazy and the effects of getting my tooth out

Tuesday: Zero, A combination of being busy with work, Lazy and the effects of getting my tooth out

Wednesday: Zero, A combination of being busy with work, Lazy and the effects of getting my tooth out

Thursday: Broke the laziness nd got stuck in again. 3k run in the morning, 2k run at Lunch and a 3k walk in the evening

Friday: 1km run in the morning and a 3k walk in the evening

Saturday: Nothing logged as spent the day with my little lad doing halloween stuff.

Sunday: 22km cycle in the wind with Dad in the morning and then day 1 of my move for movember run. 5k up the canal. The first of 30 days of a 5k everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Fair play on breaking the cycle and getting out on the Thursday
    A small one that works for me.
    Have one of those apps that tracks steps.
    Make sure even on the lazy days I get in 7 or 8k steps. Good for the head to know I've not been pure lazy

Fair play on breaking the cycle and getting out on the Thursday
    A small one that works for me.
    Have one of those apps that tracks steps.
    Make sure even on the lazy days I get in 7 or 8k steps. Good for the head to know I've not been pure lazy

I think it was the wisdom tooth tbh. Im not a lazy person by nature (or at least with the last while) and i think the amount of ibuprofen i was taking to kill the pain was making me tired/sleepy. I have a garmin watch that i use to track my activities and i agree they are a great tool. Calories burned is one i track a lot

A busy week with my move for movember run challenge:

Monday, Day 2: 5k 35m 48s

Tuesday: 3k at Lunch and 2k in the evening with my son

Wednesday: 5k 34m 20s. Then out with the missus for 3 steady k of her c2 5k run.

Thursday: 5K 34m 10s- New PB

Friday: 5k with my 9yo son. A special one. 36m 26s , Then 3k with the missus steady for her couch to 5k

Saturday: 5k in the rain with no headphones. 35m 3s

Sunday: Got a call friday night that a few lads from the junior gaa team had seen my facebook post and were coming up to run with me Sunday morning. 5k in 32m 57s. Over a minute off my PB. We did 3 x 100m sprints after that.

total run in the week 41.4km and €140 raised for Movember.

Weight 15st 10.

was very apprehensive about this before starting but after nailing my colours to the mast and announcing i was doing it on social media im coping better than i thought i would. The 5k with my son was great. He has better perserverance at 9 than i could ever imagine having. I enjoyed the run with the lads from the team also. A nice gesture to run with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    was very apprehensive about this before starting but after nailing my colours to the mast and announcing i was doing it on social media im coping better than i thought i would. The 5k with my son was great. He has better perserverance at 9 than i could ever imagine having. I enjoyed the run with the lads from the team also. A nice gesture to run with me.

Sometimes making it public is a good way to help keep you accountable because real friends will be supportive. That was class that they came out and joined you on a run and the icing was smashing the PB.

Great to have your son by your side as well :)

Another week done of the challenge and im half way there.

Monday: 3k with the missus at lunchtime and 2k on my own.
    Tuesday: 5k witht he GAA lads 31m 41s and 4x100m sprints
    Wednesday: 3k with the missus and 2k on my own
    Thursday: 5k with the GAA lads 32m 30s and 4 x 100m sprints
    Friday: 3k with the missus and 2k on my own
    Saturday: 2k with my son and 3.5k in the lashing rain on my own
    Sunday: 3k with the missus and 2k on my own.

total Distance: 36km

Another week done:

Monday: Slow 5k: 35mins

Tuesday: 5k with the gaa lads: 32mins 11 , Then 4x100mm sprints

Wednesday: an hour of online yoga and then ran 5k with Dad.

Thursday: New 5k pb with the Gaa lads: 30mins 29s , 4x100m sprints after

Friday: 5k Slow, 36:34

Saturday: 3k with the missus and 2k on my own

Sunday: 5.5k with one of the lads off the gaa team. 35.23 for the 5.5k. About 31mins for the 5

Weight: 15 stone 8 this morning, Want to get that below 15 and a half this week.

Total Distance Run: 36.65

Ive hit over 300 on my fundraising also this week so im delighted with that. Only 8 runs left now to complete. Im toying with the idea of going for a sub 30 5k on the last day or trying to go for 10k. i think both are achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Seriously impressed with the attitude

5k a day everyday is hard going.
    The knees or hips at you?

Seriously impressed with the attitude

5k a day everyday is hard going.
    The knees or hips at you?

Cheers, Knee giving me a small bit of gyp now but it will be ok i hope. Important for myself to finish this i think so ill just go slowly for the 8 days if needed.

5k every day for Movember- Complete

Monday: 3k with the missus and then 2k on my own

Tuesday: 5k with the GAA lads 33.40 but with 2 big hills negotiated twice

Wednesday: 3k with the missus and 2 k on my own

Thursday: Same route as Tuesday: 32.45

Friday: 4k with the missus and 1k on my own

Saturday: 5.66km with one of the gaa lads

Sunday: 6.5k with the Gaa lads and then 3k with the missus that night

Monday: Final 5k for the month 32.36.

Felt great after finishing it. I looked back on a few early posts on here this morning and ive come a long way. Delighted with myself but need to keep it going now.

ended up with 180km covered in the month and €400 raised for charity.

Did my first 10k yesterday in 1hr 7 mins. Delighted with it

• Advertisement

And the usual January craic with me... time to go again. In the past few weeks ive done feck all cos have had a few coronavirus cases close to us and ive been doing ppls shopping etc etc. All excuses but sure ill get back at it now. Going to start logging again here for accountability

Advertisement