Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/12/trump-nra-campaign-coordination/

Another potential angle on the campaign financing laws during the election, this time between the NRA and the Trump campaign.

In essence they were using the same media company to place ads in the same time slots on the same channels with messages that reinforce each other. There is no issue with someone putting out a positive add, but if it's coordinated than it's classed as a campaign contribution & can't exceed $5000, which the ads comfortably did

This kind of thing would probably have crossed Kelly Anne Conway's desk as Campaign Manager (and Queen of "Alternative Facts") at the time.. If she was involved in arranging this, she's gonna need George to dust off the plea- dealing manual for her...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Reports that trump is looking to nominate former AG William Barr as the next AG. William Barr was AG during the presidency of George HW Bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Is this another nail in the coffin...

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/420137-tucker-carlson-trump-has-not-kept-his-promises

If Tucker & Fox turn on Trump it has to be the beginning of the end

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/420137-tucker-carlson-trump-has-not-kept-his-promises

So now Tucker joins Shepard smith and sort of Neil cavuto and Chris Wallace as being on the trump train fully ? At least trump will have Sean hannity and judge Jennine and laura ingraham on his side it seems to the bitter end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I really dislike Ingraham, despise Hannity but Carlson is another level.

That permanently stupid facial expression accompanied by trivial BS racist stories.

At this stage, they are all like rats turning on each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So now Tucker joins Shepard smith and sort of Neil cavuto and Chris Wallace as being on the trump train fully ? At least trump will have Sean hannity and judge Jennine and laura ingraham on his side it seems to the bitter end.

Carlson has a split presentation personality. On Fox News he is the rabid Trump excuser, but outside Fox he is actually quite reasonable. He paired off against Cenk Uygur from The Young Turks at Politicon a few weeks ago and he was surprisingly reasonable. Also, his "Ship of Fools" book is much better than I had expected.

So, when he says something in Switzerland, many miles away from the Fox crazy place, it could well be very different from what he says/does on Fox.

Mind you, he did take Avenatti on, and while he was an obnoxious host on the day, he's about the only one I've seen to rattle Avenatti (before recent events).

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Carlson has a split presentation personality. On Fox News he is the rabid Trump excuser, but outside Fox he is actually quite reasonable. He paired off against Cenk Uygur from The Young Turks at Politicon a few weeks ago and he was surprisingly reasonable. Also, his "Ship of Fools" book is much better than I had expected.

So, when he says something in Switzerland, many miles away from the Fox crazy place, it could well be very different from what he says/does on Fox.

Mind you, he did take Avenatti on, and while he was an obnoxious host on the day, he's about the only one I've seen to rattle Avenatti (before recent events).

Well if that's the case, then he is playing the part of a racist scumbag, rather than actually being one - and I can't figure out which is actually worse.

And as for him V Avenatti, Avenatti was naive thinking he could engage with someone on Fox and expect them to debate the facts. What's that old saying - "it is like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh Carlson is worse, ultimately: I may despise the 'true' racist or demagogue, but I'll respect the courage of their convictions no matter how repugnant they may be. There's at least some honesty in believing something enough to put their face and reputation on the line - doesn't forgive anything they might say or do, but at least they're honest.

The Tucker Carlsons of the world however are nothing more than disingenuous pot stirrers; false prophets that earn a very handsome living from winding up those far below him on the pecking order, distanced enough from any accountability or consequence of his actions & words, preying on the ignorance and irritability of his audience. Doubtlessly, the only conviction he might possess being that self-denying technicality I've read from Fox presenters; that he's not a journalist and would feel he has no obligation towards truth, fairness - or even common decency. He's the professional troll, a sub-genre of current affairs now powerful, and wealthy in today's political discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/06/politics/trump-hotel-saudi-arabia-lobbyists/index.html

I find it hard to credit that this would even be attempted, much less that they could get away with it. 500 bednights in a Trump hotel, paid for by the Saudis to accommodate lobbyists - and no-one was going to notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Watched the Netflix doc Get Me Roger Stone earlier. Id never known that much about him but he is some piece of work. Its easy to see how him and Trump get along given they are so alike, both of them are complete narcissists. Stone has had some career as a political operative, from Nixon on he has always been lurking around the background of Republican presidents.

• Advertisement

Article I alleged in part:

On June 17, 1972, and prior thereto, agents of the Committee for the Re-election of the President committed unlawful entry of the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee in Washington, District of Columbia, for the purpose of securing political intelligence. Subsequent thereto, Richard M. Nixon, using the powers of his high office, engaged personally and through his close subordinates and agents, in a course of conduct or plan designed to delay, impede, and obstruct the investigation of such illegal entry; to cover up, conceal and protect those responsible; and to conceal the existence and scope of other unlawful covert activities.[97]

Article II alleged in part that Nixon:

repeatedly engaged in conduct violating the constitutional rights of citizens, impairing the due and proper administration of justice and the conduct of lawful inquiries, or contravening the laws governing agencies of the executive branch and the purposes of these agencies.[97]

Article III alleged in part that Nixon:

failed without lawful cause or excuse to produce papers and things as directed by duly authorized subpoenas issued by the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives on April 11, 1974, May 15, 1974, May 30, 1974, and June 24, 1974, and willfully disobeyed such subpoenas.[97]

I decided to look up the potential articles of impeachment that Richard nixon would have faced had he not resigned from office in 1974. I'm not saying that Trump will ever be impeached or the process even started during his term in office. What we can say is there are striking similarities to what Nixon was accused of and what people believe Trump has done. The third one Trump hasn't faced yet but he may and I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same as Nixon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I decided to look up the potential articles of impeachment that Richard nixon would have faced had he not resigned from office in 1974. I'm not saying that Trump will ever be impeached or the process even started during his term in office. What we can say is there are striking similarities to what Nixon was accused of and what people believe Trump has done. The third one Trump hasn't faced yet but he may and I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same as Nixon.

One thing in the Watergate Scandal that did for Nixon was the recording system in the White House covering conversations between his senior aides and himself about how to sort out the CREEP burglars mess gathering around their ankles, swamping them as it were. The Cohen recordings, along with any other such evidence in the hands of the Mueller investigation, may do the same to Don and Co, if they exist. I can imagine his aides trying their damnedest to get GOP Senators to decline to accept such evidence into testimony at committee hearings or on the senate floor from the investigation itself, to get the chairman or Senator Graham to bury it. Even a "smoke in their eyes" attempt to drag things out until the next happenstance opportunity for the team to distract from what Don & Co did so far. Bitter rivalry amongst the W/H may be their undoing.

Despite his statements about accepting the the Saudi Crown Prince was directly involved in running the murder operation of Jamal Khashoggi, I wouldn't put it past Senator Graham to be playing a "trust in me" Hissing Syd role for Don.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don's National Security Advisor is reported to have known of the arrest and detention of the Huawei CFO in Canada at the request of the U.S without Don being made aware of it before or during his G20 meeting with the Chinese president about trade between both nations, and the deal they reportedly made on delaying putting their contrary trade tariffs into effect. Remarkably this secret was kept while the trade deal between the U.S, Canada and Mexico was announced during the G20 meeting.

I can't see Don being happy with a hired-help upstaging him on the world stage or in trade deals without some public display of annoyance after the fact, unless he knew about the arrest before the G20 meetings.

Seriously, if Don didn't know and keeps quiet, it'll leave me wondering what his W/H team have on Don, because with so much floating around about Don, the Mueller investigation cannot be the only body keeping quiet about what they know. It'd be almost unnatural.

DJT is back tweeting in capitals, complaining about fake news being the enemy of the people.

2 hours later - bomb threat at CNN.

Someone is going to die because of him. He has been warned- yet he still does it. God forbid anything happens, but if it does, it'll be on him.

I'll gladly debate any of his followers here on that point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Isn't it great that Trump is not only staunchly opposed to illegal immigrants, but also practices what he preaches!
    He doesn't

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/us/trump-bedminster-golf-undocumented-workers.html
    Ms. Morales’s journey from cultivating corn in rural Guatemala to fluffing pillows at an exclusive golf resort took her from the southwest border, where she said she crossed illegally in 1999, to the horse country of New Jersey, where she was hired at the Trump property in 2013 with documents she said were phony.

She said she was not the only worker at the club who was in the country illegally.

It is an open secret that the US economy relies on illegals, because you can pay them pennies and treat them like indentured servants.
    DT is no exception.
    This whole anti immigration "outrage" is nothing but a thin veil of deceit.

Isn't it great that Trump is not only staunchly opposed to illegal immigrants, but also practices what he preaches!
    He doesn't

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/us/trump-bedminster-golf-undocumented-workers.html

It is an open secret that the US economy relies on illegals, because you can pay them pennies and treat them like indentured servants.
    DT is no exception.
    This whole anti immigration "outrage" is nothing but a thin veil of deceit.

His hypocrisy knows no bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

I mentioned a few days ago, in reference to the Flynn timeline, that Pence knew about Flynn's dealings but didn't report it to the FBI.

What's the chances that Pence has been onside from the get go, the source of many leaks (let's not forget the lodestar op-ed) and actually co-operating with the Special Council/FBI/IRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

circadian wrote: »
    I mentioned a few days ago, in reference to the Flynn timeline, that Pence knew about Flynn's dealings but didn't report it to the FBI.

What's the chances that Pence has been onside from the get go, the source of many leaks (let's not forget the lodestar op-ed) and actually co-operating with the Special Council/FBI/IRS.
    If that was him in the op-ed, it's very unlikely he would have been co-operating. Talk about blowing your cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

His tweets over the last few hours show a very angry man. He went from congratulating himself on his 50% approval rating (picture of himself with 50% written on it) to ranting about Mueller and the Fake News Media. Poor Don's not having a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

His tweets over the last few hours show a very angry man. He went from congratulating himself on his 50% approval rating (picture of himself with 50% written on it) to ranting about Mueller and the Fake News Media. Poor Don's not having a good day.

And the reality is that Rasmussen have already revised their approval number down to 49% (given their R-bias, 538 list that as an adjusted 44% approval). Yougov have put out their latest rating today & it has it at 39% approval (538 adjusted 40%)

Its still depressing that 40% of (polled) Americans actually say that they approve of what Trump does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

everlast75 wrote: »

His supporters have been unusually quiet on here for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I'm expecting a political party broadcast from 2scoops any day now....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

It's F5 Friday, something big could be happening today. In fact, isn't Flynn supposed to be in court today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

His supporters have been unusually quiet on here for a while...

I'm sure they're quite happy with what he has achieved so far. Increasing the trade deficit and not getting the wall aren't ideal but he got 2 SC judges and wakes up every morning. It's truly the greatest achievement of any president.

It's been so long I can't remember what day number it is without the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

DJT is back tweeting in capitals, complaining about fake news being the enemy of the people.

2 hours later - bomb threat at CNN.

Someone is going to die because of him. He has been warned- yet he still does it. God forbid anything happens, but if it does, it'll be on him.

It is extraordinary that the US president is a credible factor in inciting domestic terrorism.

As shown by all the mass shootings, there are some very violent and damaged people in america and all it takes is for one of them to view his rage filled 'enemy of the people' tweets as some kind of presidential endorsment for killing a jounalist or blowing up a newspaper office.

But trump is too stupid and self-obsessed to understand this.

Whatever you think about Clinton, one of her repeated lines during the campaign was that trump is tempermentally unfit to be president and she was completely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I really dislike Ingraham, despise Hannity but Carlson is another level.

That permanently stupid facial expression accompanied by trivial BS racist stories.

At this stage, they are all like rats turning on each other.

I was only thinking about this on the way to work today what are these guys going to do when Mueller releases his report and it shows Trump to be a traitor and laundering money for the Russian mafia???

These guys (all of Fox) are keeping Trump in office at the moment, any self respecting journalist (or person with a brain) with all the evidence that's out there would have turned on Trump at this stage. But the party members in Fox are like the propaganda machine for some dictator sowing enough doubt and misinformation and heaping praise on their cult leader that its giving enough support to his base and moderates. Fox et al are implicated in this whole f**k up of a situation and should face some inquiry into their behavior.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

And the reality is that Rasmussen have already revised their approval number down to 49% (given their R-bias, 538 list that as an adjusted 44% approval). Yougov have put out their latest rating today & it has it at 39% approval (538 adjusted 40%)

Its still depressing that 40% of (polled) Americans actually say that they approve of what Trump does

I glanced at a CNN Joe Biden article this morning on Facebook. The comments underneath were fascinating. In summary, DT has brought god to the white house, he prays before meetings q.e.d. he is good, god chose him, he is an amazing god-loving president, and god is now in the white house.

These evangelicals are never going to believe differently.( 25% of the US electorate I think?). They are totally invested in his agenda. Donald was correct, he really could shoot someone on 5th Ave and these people would still support him. 90% of the 10 commandments appear to be optional, as long as he prays and gets as many conservatives on the bench as possible. Its pure hypocrisy on so many levels of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Ramussen is a piece of crap that consistently puts its thumb on the scales for Trump by cherrypicking polling data. Approval is nowhere near 50%. I agree with you though, that the fact that his approval rating is even as high as it is is depressing. There's going to be a cohort that will vote for him no matter what. On the basis of the midterms, the base shouldn't be enough to save him but it really hinges on the Dem's guy: another contentious candidate could depress the Dem vote. The fact that Bernie is considering running again is worrying.

circadian wrote: »
    It's F5 Friday, something big could be happening today. In fact, isn't Flynn supposed to be in court today?

Cohen is in regarding two matters - SDNY and Mueller. Details of his cooperation will be made public - well, as much as the investigators want to be made public. Serious potential for more incriminating acts of Trump to be broadcast.

Manafort's case will be in today. Details of how he mislead the investigators and why his plea deal was revoked. Again, more bad publicity for DJT.

Finally, Comey was summonsed to appear to give evidence behind closed doors before the Senate today. He fought it in Court and the deal struck was that his evidence would be released tomorrow.

All in all, not gonna be a good Friday for DJT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Watched the Netflix doc Get Me Roger Stone earlier. Id never known that much about him but he is some piece of work. Its easy to see how him and Trump get along given they are so alike, both of them are complete narcissists. Stone has had some career as a political operative, from Nixon on he has always been lurking around the background of Republican presidents.

Get me Roger Stone and Active Measures should really be required viewing at this stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement