Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Cert question

Options
  • 03-12-2018 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I am 18 and with a full firearm licence my friend is 15 and has a training cert would it be illegal for me to be the on supervising him shooting at my gun club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

cosieman wrote: »
    I am 18 and with a full firearm licence my friend is 15 and has a training cert would it be illegal for me to be the on supervising him shooting at my gun club.

I couldn't tell you what the story is on target ranges since I don't do target shooting.

My son has a training cert on a shotgun I have the normal cert for and we do a bit of game shooting and pigeons and so on. When chatting to the firearms chap in the district station he was explaining that I as the proper cert holder need to accompany my son at all time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's fine as long as the person with the training cert has their license for your firearm. You cannot supervise someone with a license for another firearm.

The training cert only allows the person to use the firearm which the "main" licensee has.

Everything else is fine in that the person is over 14 and you are 18 or older:
    Any person over 14 years of age can apply for a firearms training certificate. The training certificate does not entitle the holder to actually own a firearm and the certificate can only apply to a non-restricted firearm. The person must always be under the supervision of a specified person over 18 years of age who holds a firearm certificate in respect of it. The training certificate shall continue in force for 3 years unless revoked.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement