Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Norton going downhill

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

you wont know he is really finished until you see him on RTE again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hate the way every episode has to have a bitesize stunt involving one or more of the guests which is just perfect for a youtube clip or twitter post. Primetime BBC TV but they just have to get on that sweet internet action. Dumbing down something which is already fairly dumb. Norton is a brilliant host, why not concentrate on the chat and forget about copying James Corden with his never-ending chase of internet memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭KevRossi

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Watch the Late Late show and then you'll realise just how amazing the Graham Norton show is.

Watch Ray D'Arcy and you'll realise how amazing the LLS is against it, then switch over to Graham Norton and you'll be blown away. Though compared to D'Arcy, the video on youtube of grass growing is riveting stuff.
    Greyfox wrote: »
    The Graham Norton show is still the best chat show in the world, with the best guests and Nortons the best chat show host ever, better than Ross or Parkinson ever where. ive been taping the show every week its on for the last 3 years, love it.

You've never seen Parkinson in action. In his prime he was world class, how to ask a question and let a guest talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Greyfox wrote: »
    The Graham Norton show is still the best chat show in the world, with the best guests and Nortons the best chat show host ever, better than Ross or Parkinson ever where. ive been taping the show every week its on for the last 3 years, love it.

Thanks Graham!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

lertsnim wrote: »
    He's been going downhill for years. Every week it is the same boring Hollywood people telling the same boring stories.

Still beats the RTÉ canteen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

kneemos wrote: »
    Actors in general aren't that interesting, particularly the Hollywood brigade.

Especially since they turned into political Trump whinebags...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Still beats the RTÉ canteen.

Well whoop di doo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I never understood his appeal. I find him annoying.

aG5LV.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is there any radio or TV programme in Ireland or the UK which has improved over the years? Or was there a golden age somewhere in the past, which will never be matched again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Aren't the guests on every chat show these days just people flogging a book or film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 TightyWhiteys

Was it ever "uphill"?
    I can't watch it anyway, those shapes in the background of the set drive my OCD compulsions crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

• Registered Users Posts: 85,508 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Aren't the guests on every chat show these days just people flogging a book or film

Graham still gets the big names even if it just to promote their latest venture

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Graham still gets the big names even if it just to promote their latest venture
    but why would anyone sit down to watch marketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mikedexter

I'm not.sure he can do much different and.have the A Listers take part

I get the impression he's a very heavy drinker from observation and what I read, he doesn't look healthy at all these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Has he taken up skiing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

He said himself in a recent interview that he can't get away with what he used to on C4 anymore, think that's restricting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

TheBully wrote: »
    Is anyone else of the same opinion that the graham notyon show just isn’t great anymore, the last few episodes have just been actors promoting stupid films for a half an hour.
    Even the red chair at the end has been cut short to one one or maybe 2 people.

I used to love the show but switched out off last night out of sheer boredom
    Hasn't been good for a few years, much like Mario Rosenstock. Same tired old format. Graham was much better on channel 4 rather than the stuffy bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Celebrities arent worshipped in the same way as they used to be in Parkinsons day. Most of the modern audience would switch off if Graham asked a question and the actor went on and on about their "craft"

And without the pre rehearsed anecdotes it would probably be a car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

lertsnim wrote: »
    Well whoop di doo

Yes, quite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he's a one trick pony...a flamboyant gay paddy

i reckon he wakes up every morning pinching himself..."can't believe i've made a fortune from this"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lAr9W45SDrRs.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I remember when he went to BBC. The C4 show had been good but it was clear that it was never going to be a runner on BBC and BBC didn't appear to know what to do with him.
    I didn't see this excellent show coming but to be fair,they got it spot on.
    It's just the last while, none of the shows have been standout good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Watch the Late Late show and then you'll realise just how amazing the Graham Norton show is.

That is basically /thread right there.

I can only watch 10 minutes of that before vomiting blood.
    Either Lunchlady Doris from the RTE canteen, some local politican going on about de shtate of de roads or Sinead O'Conner telling us how great she's doing.
    Or Mary from Tipp telling us about her trush and how the HSE won't give her a medical card. Followed by some band someone found playing in the pub that no one ever heard of and never will again.
    Bear Grylls once fried maggots on Graham Norton and I'd rather watch that on loop for 24 hours than have to endure a single episode of the utter diarrhoea that is the Late Late.

BBFAN wrote: »
    He said himself in a recent interview that he can't get away with what he used to on C4 anymore, think that's restricting him.

Yeah!

It was a much better show on C4 ... anyone remember the Catherine Zeta Jones / Michael Douglas jokes ?

Jaysus he really went below the belt with them, can't find any on YouTube either ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

what do people want exactly?

What do they think was good about it when it was supposedly good?

It's the same now as it ever was.

Just because it's the same doesn't mean it's worse

Unless you come up with some suggestion as to what could make it better, then are you not complaining for the sake of it

Some people are more interesting than others. I personally think Chris o'Dowd to be one of the best guest on different chat shows, genuinely funny stories, great unique delivery. Maybe I'm just conditioned to it.

He's a better than average host, but the format is limited, it's tv for the gogglebox viewer at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Yeah!

It was a much better show on C4 ... anyone remember the Catherine Zeta Jones / Michael Douglas jokes ?

Jaysus he really went below the belt with them, can't find any on YouTube either ...

I remeber a woman from the far east who played the flute for him and she was not using her mouth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I remeber a woman from the far east who played the flute for him and she was not using her mouth...

Yep and another did a trick with a ping pong .... obviously the viewer didn't see it from the front, but you could see her legs open and the ball firing .. jaysus it was impressive in fairness!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The Graham Norton show is second only to A Question of Sport on the forced jollity scale.

It's terribly formulaic, with Graham constantly cracking up laughing at stuff that's mildly amusing at best.

He’s probably cracking up cause His wine glass is always half full and it’s not because he’s not taking sips....

Advertisement