Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Norton going downhill

Options
  • 02-12-2018 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else of the same opinion that the graham notyon show just isn’t great anymore, the last few episodes have just been actors promoting stupid films for a half an hour.
    Even the red chair at the end has been cut short to one one or maybe 2 people.

I used to love the show but switched out off last night out of sheer boredom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Actors in general aren't that interesting, particularly the Hollywood brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The only episode that was in any way entertaining so far this year was Ian McKellen, Carey Mulligan, Taron Egerton and Michael Bublé.

Everything else has been a couch having zero craic!

Definitely lacking it's spark this year.. it's not Graham's fault.. it's just a poor mix of guests.

We need an injection of Miriam Margolyes STAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

TheBully wrote: »
    Is anyone else of the same opinion that the graham notyon show just isn’t great anymore, the last few episodes have just been actors promoting stupid films for a half an hour.
    Even the red chair at the end has been cut short to one one or maybe 2 people.

I used to love the show but switched out off last night out of sheer boredom

Tbh, I wish they would do away with the red chair. Worst part of the show by far. I always switch off at that point. I’d much prefer more interview time.

I love Graham but one thing he does that annoys me is awkwardly prompt the guest about the Funny Story TM that the researchers got out of them before the show. The seams often show on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yep gone kinda stale. Needs a rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Basq wrote: »
    The only episode that was in any way entertaining so far this year was Ian McKellen, Carey Mulligan, Taron Egerton and Michael Bublé.

Definitely lacking it's spark this year.. it's not Graham's fault.. it's just a poor mix of guests.

Yeah, was a great episode, Ian McKellen is serious craic and Michael Buble is always taking the piss out of himself.

There was an earlier episode with Sally Fields and she ruined it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Watch the Late Late show and then you'll realise just how amazing the Graham Norton show is.

God, no. Takes over whenever she’s on with her Delightful QuirkinessTM. If she’s on, that’s generally an episode I’ll avoid. I find her tedious.
    siblers wrote: »
    Yeah, was a great episode, Ian McKellen is serious craic and Michael Buble is always taking the piss out of himself.

There was an earlier episode with Sally Fields and she ruined it

See, I actually loved Sally Field. This just shows it’s impossible to please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I used to watch it & then I realised that it was the same show over & over again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its basically a promo for a new movie and a crap British Comedian that sits at the end.

mikeym wrote: »
    Its basically a promo for a new movie and a crap British Comedian that sits at the end.

Ha, yes, so true. Aaaaahhh, the awkward British comedian. Always much worse-looking than the rest of the guests too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He's been going downhill for years. Every week it is the same boring Hollywood people telling the same boring stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Everything is going downhill. Big Brother, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Countdown, The X Factor, Coronation Street, The Weakest Link. Used to be great when they started off. Or that seems to be the general opinion.

A talk show is what it is, and Graham Norton is no better or no worse than it was before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Fordcspri23

Bunch of Hollywood actors lining up to suck him off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

That escalated quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I didn't realise that it's been around since 2007, and like many successful shows, it owned its time for a while and now we have the inevitable decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wogan and Parkinson both said they gave up the chat shows because the guest available were then only those wanting to sell a movie, album, tv show, or book. The days of interviews with people who were interesting in themselves, or great raconteurs, has past. Gone are the Peter Ustinovs or Mohammad Alis of this world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Watch the Late Late show and then you'll realise just how amazing the Graham Norton show is.

The Angelus would look amazing compared to Tubs LLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I never understood his appeal. I find him annoying.

Wogan and Parkinson both said they gave up the chat shows because the guest available were then only those wanting to sell a movie, album, tv show, or book. The days of interviews with people who were interesting in themselves, or great raconteurs, has past. Gone are the Peter Ustinovs or Mohammad Alis of this world.

That would be great but at the same time, I do wonder what their motivation was. Did they just love the sound of their own voice? I totally understand celebrities only wanting to do publicity and promotion when absolutely necessary. After all, in addition to these promotional tours, they have paparazzi to deal with all year round. So I can see how adding additional chat show appearances just to shoot the breeze wouldn’t really appeal.

I’d also disagree that there are never guests who are interesting in themselves. They’re doing the interview to promote things but many guests manage to let their personality show whilst doing the obligatory promotional stuff. If you’re interesting, it’ll come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

He wishes.

Is he still single?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

God be with the days when a guest on the Late Late Show would cancel and they could get Peter Ustinov over from London on the next plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Quality has definitely dropped in recent times but at least he hasn't revered to the usual canteen staff or cronies unlike RTE on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If you are watching something week in, week out, you are naturally going to get a little bored of I.

If the show’s formula stays the same, you’ll get bored of it eventually.

If they change it up a bit, you might not like the changes.

It’s natural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Discodog wrote: »
    I used to watch it & then I realised that it was the same show over & over again

Yep, peopled every week with those with a new film or book to flog.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The only episode that was in any way entertaining so far this year was Ian McKellen, Carey Mulligan, Taron Egerton and Michael Bubl

I absolutely despise Miriam Margolyes.Anything she shows up is switched off ,her shtick is tiresome.

God be with the days when a guest on the Late Late Show would cancel and they could get Peter Ustinov over from London on the next plane.

But, like, doesn’t that just sound like rent-a-raconteur? I got sick of Ustinov’s mush, to be honest.
    yabadabado wrote: »
    I absolutely despise Miriam Margolyes.Anything she shows up is switched off ,her shtick is tiresome.

Abso-fücking-lutely. Cannot understand the fuss made of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Graham Norton show is second only to A Question of Sport on the forced jollity scale.

It's terribly formulaic, with Graham constantly cracking up laughing at stuff that's mildly amusing at best.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The Graham Norton show is second only to A Question of Sport on the forced jollity scale.

It's terribly formulaic, with Graham constantly cracking up laughing at stuff that's mildly amusing at best.

Yes. Now, like I said, I love Graham but some of the stuff that has him in stitches. :confused:

For example, the red chair. Now, I think the show needs to drop this bit anyway. I have no love for it. But, anyway, there’s been a good few times that the person in the chair has just related a blatant urban myth. And Graham always acts amazed or is laughing his arse off and I’m always thinking “Really, Graham?”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hopefully it means he disappears off the telly altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The Graham Norton show is still the best chat show in the world, with the best guests and Nortons the best chat show host ever, better than Ross or Parkinson ever where. ive been taping the show every week its on for the last 3 years, love it.

Advertisement