Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Die Hard

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

pah wrote: »
    I watch this every December and probably once more during the year also.

Went to see it in the Omniplex Dec last year. Fukking Awesome

Omniplex are showing it again this December, seen the email the other week.

Even though I went last year with a few buddies, I'm tempted to go again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ipodrocker wrote: »
    cost a bit right?

no idea, its the Stella, I was hoping for 1980's prices :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's great to see it on the big screen but from the my own experience I can say that because it's a classic and most of the people there will have seen it, all cinema etiquette goes out the window and it becomes an interactive experience with people whooping and cheering at their favourite bits. It wasn't for me and I don't think I'd do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, this came up in a thread before. The OP complained about people yelling back at the screen etc. Initially I thought it was a kind of "interactive" screening that promoted dressing up etc and was quite sniffy at the OP (Sorry OP). But yeah, I agree, as mush as I'd like to see it in the cinema again I don't want it to be like the US with people yelling at characters at the screen etc.

I'm lucky enough to have seen it originally in the cinema..... God I'm old. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm old enough to have seen it (underage I may add!) in the Screen on D'Olier Street on release - pre-hype and word of mouth. One thing I've always found as a counter to the "Die Hard is a Christmas movie" trope is if it was really a Christmas movie they wouldn't have released it when they did - it was a summer release in the US and didn't make it here until Feb/March of the following year (all you young kids out there this was the normal delay time for movies to get here!). It's become a Christmas movie for many (myself included), but this is more by accident than design. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it since at home, but only once since release have I seen it in a cinema. It was an interactive screening in the US, and the hootin' and hollerin' took a little bit away for me TBH. I'm not against these types of screenings. but feel they're more suited to musicals like Rocky Horror Picture Show or movies like The Room. Having said all of that, I was likely the only sober person at this screening too, so maybe with a drink or two it might have been better. Tempted by the Stella screening I have to admit........

BTW, I've never watched 4 or 5. ;)

There's a movie pod I listen to that covered it relatively recently that was enjoyable, here's a link:
    https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/1/17641364/die-hard-30th-anniversary-with-bill-simmons-chris-ryan-jason-concepcion-and-sean-fennessey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

BTW, I've never watched 4 or 5. ;)

Oh how I envy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

There is a scene in DH2 where the villains makes a plane crash by recalibrating the airport's system's ground level. This always takes me out of the movie because airplanes have their own altimeter. It's pretty stupid.

Another stupid moment is when McClane fires a machine gun of blanks at the police captain with a load of police officers around him. They would have shot him the moment he fired the trigger and not just stood there dumbfounded.

I have a lot of nostalgia for DH2 though because I saw it a lot as a kid and it was back when Willis actually acted. Still prefer DH1 and DH3 though

Let me remind you, its a movie. Not a documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I remember the very first time I saw it. I couldn't have been more than 11 years old! My Dad had already seen it and he was describing the basic plot to me like it was a real true life documentary ! So one day while my Mum and sisters were away, he rented the VHS video of it for me.... Yipeee Kai A! It sticks out as one of my childhood memories :pac:

I've probably seen it 500 times since lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

There is a scene in DH2 where the villains makes a plane crash by recalibrating the airport's system's ground level. This always takes me out of the movie because airplanes have their own altimeter. It's pretty stupid.

Another stupid moment is when McClane fires a machine gun of blanks at the police captain with a load of police officers around him. They would have shot him the moment he fired the trigger and not just stood there dumbfounded.

I have a lot of nostalgia for DH2 though because I saw it a lot as a kid and it was back when Willis actually acted. Still prefer DH1 and DH3 though

I'm pretty sure you can't light plane fuel on fire like McClane does at the end either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can't light plane fuel on fire like McClane does at the end either.

Shut the front door.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Oh how I envy you.

They're both been very deliberate decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah, this came up in a thread before. The OP complained about people yelling back at the screen etc. Initially I thought it was a kind of "interactive" screening that promoted dressing up etc and was quite sniffy at the OP (Sorry OP). But yeah, I agree, as mush as I'd like to see it in the cinema again I don't want it to be like the US with people yelling at characters at the screen etc.

I'm lucky enough to have seen it originally in the cinema..... God I'm old. lol
    Ha I think that was me.....no worries at all :)
    It was also the first time my partner had ever seen the film (I know!) so kind of ruined it.

Yeah it was a normal screening in the lighthouse (so normally great crowd) not a themed one etc (which had been the week before).
    This drunken tit was shouting at the screen the whole way through the film, he wasnt funny and people werent laughing.

I wont be going to see Die Hard again in the cinema I will be watching it at home this year, I am going to a non sing along muppets christmas carol screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just a quick one on going to see it in the cinema.

I go every year and I don't mind it being an "interactive" experience so much, as long as people aren't being drunk and belligerent.

However, this year I went during the week, on a Wednesday, and the atmosphere was completely different. Sure, there weren't as many people, but those who were there just sat and watched the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

It’s currently €4.99 to buy on iTunes for anyone interested. 4K too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Scatches head. I was convined a man of Irish extraction wrote the book the film was based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, it was floating around for so long in one version or other that, at one stage, Frank Sinatra was supposed to play the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Roderick Thorp's 1979 novel "Nothing Lasts Forever", the sequel to 1966's The Detective. The novel was adapted into a 1968 film of the same name starring Frank Sinatra - The studio was under contract to first offer the role to Frank, being to old he turned down the role

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Went to see it in the Stella, not cheap 20 euros a seat, but damn nice experience , they have really done the place up well. Good to see the movie in the big screen, might make it an annual

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm old enough to have seen it (underage I may add!) in the Screen on D'Olier Street on release - pre-hype and word of mouth. One thing I've always found as a counter to the "Die Hard is a Christmas movie" trope is if it was really a Christmas movie they wouldn't have released it when they did - it was a summer release in the US and didn't make it here until Feb/March of the following year (all you young kids out there this was the normal delay time for movies to get here!).

Better than National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation which was released here in the summer for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Very well done! Plus, as it's from Fox themselves I guess that makes it official! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I know airport security was a lot more lax in 1988, but somehow I don't think they would have let John McClane carry his gun on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I know airport security was a lot more lax in 1988, but somehow I don't think they would have let John McClane carry his gun on the plane.

Back in the 80s & 90s in the US, planes were like buses. You could walk whoever is travelling right into the plane. Guns wouldn’t even have been a thought except for international flights where you’d have to check it. Domestic flights were a case of anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Watched "The Lovely Bones" recently and willing to watch any romantic Korean drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Watching it a few weeks ago... brings his gun on the plane... gets off the plane and lights a cigarette in the terminal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I don't know - it's an internal flight and he's a policeman. I doubt it was unthinkable, or they'd hardly have written it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭pah

mloc123 wrote: »
    Watching it a few weeks ago... brings his gun on the plane... gets off the plane and lights a cigarette in the terminal :eek:

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mloc123 wrote: »

I bring my gun on the plane all the time....

I don't smoke though is that a problem

Advertisement