Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Die Hard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its not Christmas until Hans Gruber falls off Nakatomi Plaza.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I’d still watch DH2 if it was on but it’s a far inferior movie to the original and has not aged well. It looks incredibly dated. A lot of cheesy acting, the bad guys were nowhere near Hans Gruber’s level and the plot was just plain daft - why didn’t the planes just divert to nearby New York / Boston...

I'm pretty sure this is at least partially explained in the film. There's a snowstorm and the entire east coast is closed. The planes with enough fuel have been diverted across country leaving just the ones with low fuel who have been told everything is fine and to keep circling. Whether it's plausible that they were able to circle for so long and that the villains were able to so perfectly plan everything is another matter. The simple explanation is that if they had diverted there wouldn't have been a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There is a scene in DH2 where the villains makes a plane crash by recalibrating the airport's system's ground level. This always takes me out of the movie because airplanes have their own altimeter. It's pretty stupid.

Another stupid moment is when McClane fires a machine gun of blanks at the police captain with a load of police officers around him. They would have shot him the moment he fired the trigger and not just stood there dumbfounded.

I have a lot of nostalgia for DH2 though because I saw it a lot as a kid and it was back when Willis actually acted. Still prefer DH1 and DH3 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't know why but I could never get on-board with Die Hard 3, as much as I want to like it.

Still watch the first one every Christmas while wrapping presents, such a timeless classic.

Also, shout out to Die Hard Trilogy on the PSX. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Must say I never liked DH3 that much either. The critical elements that made the first movie work perfectly were gradually eroded in each sequel imo. The sequels were not Die hard, they were just generic action movies with a character called John McClane. DH3 was actually intended to be a Lethal Weapon instalment if I recall correctly!

In the first one he’s one man, on his own, operating in a very confined space. His only “sidekick” is the fat police officer on the radio. The bad guys are charismatic, lead by the peerless Hans Gruber. The Christmas Eve setting adds to it.

In each sequel, they made the setting more and more expansive, really losing that sense of “confinement” in the process (from Nakatomi tower in DH1, to a major Airport in DH2, to a full city in 3!) and with each sequel they gave him more irritating / bland sidekicks (Sam L Jackson aside arguably).

And who remembers any of the main villains in the sequels? I only really remember the one in 3 as he was Hans Gruber’s “brother” ;) Whereas for DH1, there was Hans, Karl, Heinrich, Tony... !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think DH2 and 3 were worthy sequels. As good as the first, no, but what made the first great wasn't repeatable without feeling like a total rethread. John McClane gets trapped in another building with no shoes etc. They still felt way more like Die Hard than the subsequent sequels where Willis has forgotten how to play the character. 3 is especially good due to McTiernan being on top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I think DH2 and 3 were worthy sequels. As good as the first, no, but what made the first great wasn't repeatable without feeling like a total rethread. John McClane gets trapped in another building with no shoes etc. They still felt way more like Die Hard than the subsequent sequels where Willis has forgotten how to play the character. 3 is especially good due to McTiernan being on top form.

I'm watching DH3 right now. Forgotten how good some of the sequences were. The subway, driving through central park. Also pretty violent. SLJ and BW are in top form and NYC is a great location. Agreed, the later sequels are pretty poor, especially the most recent one which was painful to watch.

Saving LW1 for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I'm Agent Johnson, this is Special Agent Johnson. No relation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I made these for family for last Christmas as a joke (And have stuck one in the office the size of a shoe-box).

il_570xN.1419918019_gpgs.jpg

http://thechive.com/2017/12/04/make-your-own-die-hard-tree-ornament-and-get-together-have-a-few-laughs-20-photos/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Roar wrote: »
    I'm Agent Johnson, this is Special Agent Johnson. No relation.

This is Agent Johnson......... no, the other one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hans! Bubby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

Arghus wrote: »
    Hans! Bubby!

Hey, sprechen sie talk?

Die Hard is a classic. It's perfect.

Die Hard 2 has plot holes the size of the Potomac but is still very enjoyable and has some great lines.

What sets off the metal detector first? The lead in your ass or the **** in your brain?

Die Hard 3 is absolute class. Can't possibly understand how anyone couldn't like it. Easily beats all the other sequels into second spot.

Die Hard 4 is not too bad at all. A good action movie, but not a great Die Hard movie. It goes to **** when he starts fighting with a CG fighter jet.

Die Hard 5 is not even worth mentioning. Bruce Willis should be ashamed of himself for having any part in it whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Only problem with Die Hard for me is that Bruce Willis he can't act for ****. I know the role doesn't require an Oscar Winning performance he's just tree wooden.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

For me it's the perfect action film.
    Pacing,performance,stunts and set pieces....all spot on.
    Not one single frame is wasted.John McTienan absolutely nailed this (as he also did with Predator)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Christmas is the tradition these days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Forgotten, or just couldn't be bothered? Not like Die Hards 4 and 5 were pinnacles of cinema, but looking at other contemporary projects, Willis seems to have become an awful dose to work with, while "phoned in" would be an improvement on his performances.

I've read Die Hard: Year One is still limping towards production via Len Wiseman; a prequel film, bookended by segments featuring Willis as older McClane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hans Gruber the early years?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Forgotten, or just couldn't be bothered? Not like Die Hards 4 and 5 were pinnacles of cinema, but looking at other contemporary projects, Willis seems to have become an awful dose to work with, while "phoned in" would be an improvement on his performances.

I've read Die Hard: Year One is still limping towards production via Len Wiseman; a prequel film, bookended by segments featuring Willis as older McClane.

Oh dear. That sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. "Nakatomi Plaza: There and Back Again. A McClane journey"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Oh dear. That sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. "Nakatomi Plaza: There and Back Again. A McClane journey"

467533.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

silverharp wrote: »

Could be much more interesting than a JM origin movie if done properly and in German with German actors.

And given the popularity of Cold War shows at the moment, it could go down quite well.

Set in the East and West Germany. The formative years of the Gruber brothers including the Stasi, NPA (army), crime, defection to the west etc. I'd watch it. Wouldn't make much of a Christmas movie though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still think of 2005's 16 Blocks as the nearest we got to a real 'back to basics' Die Hard: Mos Def is a little annoying as the co-lead, but the rest works as an effective low-stakes action thriller.

Worth checking out, and if you reframe it as an unofficial Die Hard, it's a story of an ageing McClane who, having essentially given up, is roused back into doing the right thing while trying to transport a witness to a court case across ... sixteen blocks.

Roar wrote: »

That's the one.

One motherf*cker to rule them all.......

Acosta wrote: »
    Could be much more interesting than a JM origin movie if done properly and in German with German actors.

And given the popularity of Cold War shows at the moment, it could go down quite well.

Set in the East and West Germany. The formative years of the Gruber brothers including the Stasi, NPA (army), crime, defection to the west etc. I'd watch it. Wouldn't make much of a Christmas movie though.

Include the Asian Dawn and John Phillips, London and you got yourself a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Only known photo.

latest?cb=20140228012916

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Only known photo.

latest?cb=20140228012916

Chuck Norris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭pah

I watch this every December and probably once more during the year also.

Went to see it in the Omniplex Dec last year. Fukking Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the Stella in Rathmines is showing it on the 15th Dec at 11.55pm , tempted now to go with my son, never seen it big screen

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

the Stella in Rathmines is showing it on the 15th Dec at 11.55pm , tempted now to go with my son, never seen it big screen

cost a bit right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭pah

DO IT

Advertisement