Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian boy bullied in Huddersfield

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Threads like this always serve as a good reminder that some people are indeed pathetic enough to be fine with seeing kids bullied in school... just so long as they're Muslim, black, refugees, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Billy86 wrote: »
    Threads like this always serve as a good reminder that some people are indeed pathetic enough to be fine with seeing kids bullied in school... just so long as they're Muslim, black, refugees, etc.

Unfortunately bullying happens in evy preschool, primary school , secondary ,third level ,and it the work place ,
    And it doesn't discriminate against race ,Color ,creed ,age , sexual orientation

Unfortunately when we get amateur dramatics and faux all it does is make the snowflakes look like crybabies because of the poor child from where ever ,but will happily ignore it when the bullies aren't white or Irish , English

And it takes away from any real discussion on bullying and the effects and reason why it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's called reading about a subject and then expanding that reading. Keeping up with the news. Being informed. Try it some time, it's quite enlighting.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/28/schoolboy-to-be-charged-over-huddersfield-attack-on-refugee-15

'Tasnime Akunjee, a solicitor representing the family, said they were considering moving away from the area and had received offers to be rehomed in Oxford.

He said the couple’s daughter, who attends the same school, had been bullied by another group of pupils. Last week someone forcibly removed the girl’s hijab. On Tuesday a girl was excluded from the school over the incident.

Akunjee said the family had contacted him and their local MP, Barry Sheerman, a month ago. “The family had concerns about their children and the environment their children were in at school. They weren’t sure how to engage assistance because of the language barrier. We were so concerned about these children that we contacted the school, council and the local police.”

The family came to Huddersfield two years ago after fleeing persecution under the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria. They first went to Lebanon, where they lived for six years, and were later given safe passage to Britain by the UN before being resettled in 2016.'

Syrian civil war broke out 7 years ago. They’ve been out of Syria for eight years according to that. So before the war.

Which sort of puts the kaybosh on your emotive “How many kids have come from a war-torn society and land - where they've witnessed, up close and personal, the worst of war and human nature - to come to a 'civilised' country to be bullied?” nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Faugheen wrote:
    Why are you getting outraged at the idea that people are outraged about a boy being waterboarded by a racist?

If you had actually seen a person being water boarded in person you would realize how embarrassing it is to call this water boarding.

Billy86 wrote:

Nobody here whatsoever said that it is fine that kids are being bullied. Stop making things up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Syrian civil war broke out 7 years ago. They’ve been out of Syria for eight years according to that. So before the war.

Which sort of puts the kaybosh on your emotive “How many kids have come from a war-torn society and land - where they've witnessed, up close and personal, the worst of war and human nature - to come to a 'civilised' country to be bullied?” nonsense

Yeah, war just breaks out one day. Nothing happens in the years leading up to a cause. Absolutely nothing. Just appears one day on an exact day and time...

Hasn't been a extremely difficult place to live in for decades...

Yeah, war just breaks out one day. Nothing happens in the years leading up to a cause. Absolutely nothing. Just appears one day on an exact day and time...

Hasn't been a extremely difficult place to live in for decades...

Want a hand with those goalposts??

Want a hand with those goalposts??

Go troll someone else! You'll get more traction!

Gatling wrote: »
    Unfortunately bullying happens in evy preschool, primary school , secondary ,third level ,and it the work place ,
    And it doesn't discriminate against race ,Color ,creed ,age , sexual orientation

Unfortunately when we get amateur dramatics and faux all it does is make the snowflakes look like crybabies because of the poor child from where ever ,but will happily ignore it when the bullies aren't white or Irish , English

And it takes away from any real discussion on bullying and the effects and reason why it happens

What amateur dramatics? What snowflakes?

Go troll someone else! You'll be get more traction!

You are the one making false emotive statements. Not me. No need for name calling when your falsehoods are pointed out.

• Advertisement

:
    You are the one making false emotive statements. Not me. No need for name calling when your falsehoods are pointed out.

:D You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Dates about a war...

Name calling! :rolleyes:

falsehoods ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    At least people can have their say here, no matter whether you agree or not. Unlike other online media organs which usually close comments on anything remotely controversial.......https://www.thejournal.ie/syria-refugee-teen-uk-assault-video-4364636-Nov2018/

Thats due to it now going legal. The journal does that with every case regardless where it is. I agree it annoying as how could what someone says in Ireland go against a legal procedure in another country but it a way they do it to stop libel. They were probably threatened with legal action on something and rather then some kind of mods they went the nuclear route.

Defending The Journal how has my life descended to this.

In relation to above I think some people are putting to much on the GoFundME page to show some outrage and have a justification so they do not have to talk about the video and other are putting too much on trying to define how he was bullied to show just how outraged they are.

I am outraged he was bullied it does not make it any more of less serious due to his skin color or a GoFundMePage and I feel the same for any form of bullying that happens.

For those who ask why is there not a spotlight on those who are English or Irish or any other nationality. There have been a few mentioned here that got attention and threads on here. But if you are so outraged they have not been given the airing well you are on a social media site make a thread highlight it.

Finally for those who hate bad spelling and/or grammar I am sorry dyslexia is all i can say

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Usually thejournal just says 'comments are closed for legal reasons' in relation to something that happens in the RoI. Normally anything that happens abroad has comments enabled whether someone has been charged or not. I'd say they just decided they didn't have the time or energy to moderate comments that such an article typically generates.

Nope it closed them for legal reason for cases outside of Ireland the comments for the El Chappo case is closed and all the Harvey Weinstein comments were closed

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Faugheen wrote: »
    The **** was the point of this post?
    That bullies pick on people different to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Despicable act no doubt whatsoever. Glad to hear the bully will be charged.

However I can't help but be a little cynical about this particular story making such national headlines.

I heard in UK media this week that there is a study being conducted into the rise of 'islamophobia' in the UK.

What a waste of money. The rise of islamophobia is primarily down to terrorist attacks such as the Manchester attacks which killed teenagers, and the uncovering of multiple Pakistani Muslim rape gangs. To think that one needs to conduct a study to figure this out is laughable, I'll answer the question for them for free. And of course the reasons I mentioned aren't the only reasons.

To create the notion that the rise of islamophobia is completely random and as a result of thoughtless hate is to give some legitimacy to the actions of Muslim terrorists etc, as if it's in some way the fault of indigenous UK citizens in what the terrorists do.

The issue here is BULLYING which no ever seem to wish to tackle either in schools or the workplace, not islamophobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Nobody ignores ANY case of bullying that they are made aware of via social media.
    And just because bullying is always going on, how is that a reason to downplay it? How is that something to be blase about?

Nobody ignores ANY case of bullying that they are made aware of via social media

No don't agree with you ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

No don't agree with you ,
    Every time there is a heartbreaking story shared on social media by a news outlet or well known person, of someone unable to defend themselves being bullied - no matter who they are - it goes viral and people get very emotional.

I can think immediately of examples of white adults being ridiculed and humiliated, which went viral and caused huge outcry. People would be even more affected by children, no matter what skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It makes no difference where the kid is from.
    The Bully is almost twice the size of him.
    The Bully is there with his friends
    The victim doesn't fight back.
    The victim already has his arm in a cast.

And the fact that this wasn't even a sudden attack the bully was being filmed as he walked towards the kid, this was planned and was his version of fun.

Imagine how many times that bully has done stuff to kids.

But the bully is absolutely fcuked now. He will never get away from this, his name will be linked to that clip for the rest of his life, and he will have a big target on his head.

The cameraman should also be named and shamed.

But on the topic of bullying, it can be very hard for a person to come forward either the victim or a bystander however if each school had a facility in which people would annoymousy send in videos of incidents it could really help.

The fund is up to 100,000 now which brings me no end of joy.

Apparently a Video of sister being bullied:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-46379548

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If this deters other bullies, it's a good day but what happened on that video, happens every day in countless schools.

The bully is now being bullied. His name is all over Twitter - had a look at his facebook page. The last thing he posted has over 10,000 comments - a lot of them are disgusting and vile. He is a bully but he is a child too. And if he is bullying - no doubt it's coming from a dark place. People are messed up - attacking anyone won't make it any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Meanwhile in Ireland we have our own problem, African heritage school boys ganging up in Balbriggan robbing children on the street and threatening pregnant women and their unborn children with broken glass bottles... Wheres the gratitude after their parents were welcomed here and granted asylum? Fcking disgraceful!

Sshhhh, you are ruining a perfectly good debate on the evils of racist whitey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

The fund is up to 100,000 now which brings me no end of joy.

Apparently a Video of sister being bullied:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-46379548

Ah Jesus, that's sickening too, the size of the little child, the bullies are twice her size, same way as it was with the boy. Bullies are yellow bellied cowards. If I was their parents I would move the family away from there as fast as possible, nothing to do with their nationality, if they were English kids I would advise them to move away also. There is no reasoning with that level of ignorance. The bullying comes from the parents, I'm afraid to say, the kids don't lick it up off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The bully is now being bullied. His name is all over Twitter - had a look at his facebook page. The last thing he posted has over 10,000 comments - a lot of them are disgusting and vile. He is a bully but he is a child too. And if he is bullying - no doubt it's coming from a dark place. People are messed up - attacking anyone won't make it any better.

Stop making excuses.

He's 16 and a big 16. Knew well what he was doing picking on the much smaller lad.

You're reading too much into a dark place, some people are just assholes.

The Go Fund me thing is just a joke now. Remember the time some eejit do guide set it up for s girl whom was allegedly assaulted and a d only to discover the girl herself was a bully with a tag. I really don't get why people would donate this type of money to totally unregulated go find me appeals when there are so many genuine charities struggling.

The young lad who jumped the smaller kid is now being charged , for the incident which occurred on the 7th of October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I follow George Galloway on twitter and he retweeted the video. When i seen it I felt desperately sorry for the boy, how resigned he was to the attack, the fact he already had a broken arm and the scumbag still throws him to the ground then they way he just walked off. It was really depressing to see that.

But this is just a human story i don't believe there is an agenda at play. I despise bullies and id like to see as much protection as possible given to victims no matter what their race or ethnicity. Bullies should always be punished. I can't emphasize how much i hate them. That people get a kick out of tormenting someone is a real stain on a persons character imo.

anewme wrote: »
    Stop making excuses.

He's 16 and a big 16. Knew well what he was doing picking on the much smaller lad.

You're reading too much into a dark place, some people are just assholes.

The Go Fund me thing is just a joke now. Remember the time some eejit do guide set it up for s girl whom was allegedly assaulted and a d only to discover the girl herself was a bully with a tag. I really don't get why people would donate this type of money to totally unregulated go find me appeals when there are so many genuine charities struggling.

Oh yeah, kids know what their doing...

And, everything is a joke...

People do what they want with their money. So be it.

Seems as genuine as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

backspin. wrote: »
    I follow George Galloway on twitter and he retweeted the video. When i seen it I felt desperately sorry for the boy, how resigned he was to the attack, the fact he already had a broken arm and the scumbag still throws him to the ground then they way he just walked off. It was really depressing to see that.

But this is just a human story i don't believe there is an agenda at play. I despise bullies and id like to see as much protection as possible given to victims no matter what their race or ethnicity. Bullies should always be punished. I can't emphasize how much i hate them. That people get a kick out of tormenting someone is a real stain on a persons character imo.

Yes, it matters not a jot what nationality the child is when one sees these videos, I did not think of him as Syrian at all when I saw it, but only as a defenseless child. They are desperately sad to watch no matter whoever is being bullied. I suppose maybe because they remind us also of children we know who have been bullied, recently and even a long, long time ago because this kind of stuff goes on and on since forever. Maybe bullies should be called tormentors actually, because bully has become such an over-used word and has lost its sting. Childhood can be such an awful time for some.

• Advertisement

backspin. wrote: »

I get where you're coming from.

But I equally don't like seeing someone bullied - a bully or otherwise. I think those people going to his page and name calling or threatening him are just as bad.

Advertisement