Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Favourite Christmas Song 2018

Options
  • 26-11-2018 5:29pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So After a week of Nominations, 49 Unique Song Selections and over a Hundred nominations we have our top 17 ready to vote on. Voting will stay open for just under a week, winners will be announced Sunday night at (around 5pm).

So only songs that got multiple nominations made the cut, so hopefully yours made it :)

Boards.ie Favourite Christmas Song 50 votes

Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney
    0% 0 votes
    White Christmas - Bing Cosby
    0% 0 votes
    Sleigh Ride - The Ronettes
    0% 0 votes
    Rocking Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee ft. Mel Smith
    2% 1 vote
    Once Upon A Christmas Song - Geraldine McQueen
    0% 0 votes
    Merry Xmas - Slade
    0% 0 votes
    Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms
    10% 5 votes
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Michael Bublé
    0% 0 votes
    Merry Christmas Everyone - Shakin Stevens
    4% 2 votes
    Christmas Time - The Darkness
    12% 6 votes
    2000 Miles - The Pretenders
    0% 0 votes
    Last Christmas - Wham
    4% 2 votes
    Stop The Calvary - Jona Lewie
    10% 5 votes
    Little Drummer Boy - Bing Csoby/David Bowie
    14% 7 votes
    Driving Home for Christmas - Chris Rea
    20% 10 votes
    All I Want for Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
    20% 10 votes
    Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Voted for the fabulous Shakin Stevens :D
    I'm not even sorry!!:D The minute I hear it, it's Christmas for me :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The sheer volume of fantastic songs is great to see, and there was way more than didn't even make the cut, No Step into Christmas, good thing Elton has his John Lewis money now to wipe his tears he won't be the Boards Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Great list ! I voted for 2000 Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Voted for Jona Lewie although I'm fairly sure it's a battle for number one between two that I cannot stand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Voted for Jona Lewie although I'm fairly sure it's a battle for number one between two that I cannot stand.

You'd be surprised, 14 votes made, over 7 different songs. No clear leader as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I’m actually voting for a song that I didn’t have on my original nomination list.

I’ve played a few songs over and over on YouTube and to quote a well known Irish sports personality “at this precise moment in time, I am in love with Stop the Cavalry!” So that is my vote for Christmas 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sundew wrote: »
    I’m actually voting for a song that I didn’t have on my original nomination list.

I’ve played a few songs over and over on YouTube and to quote a well known Irish sports personality “at this precise moment in time, I am in love with Stop the Cavalry!” So that is my vote for Christmas 2018

Its an anti-war song, so especially poignant.

Here's another....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeF52JtQaxY

33 votes cast and we currently have a 3 way tie at top with 6 votes each.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Had to vote for Michael Buble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

It’s a cracking playlist all the same :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have a soft spot for Only You by The Flying Pickets. But I didnt nominate it... it was a Christmas #1 but its not festive in lyrics.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Voted for Slade even my two favourite Christmas songs are the original Band Aid- Do they know its Christmas and So this is Christmas by John Lennon.
    Going to stick my head up and hope it doesn't get shot off but Fairytale of New York does nothing for me anymore, maybe I've just heard it too much and have heard it brutalised on too many nights out but I could take it or leave it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Its an anti-war song, so especially poignant.

Here's another....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeF52JtQaxY

Yes probably means that little bit more this year, being the centenary of the ending of WW1.

I was lucky enough to see A Silent Night Christmas 1915 being performed in public for the first time by Jerry Lynch for a WW1 commemoration mass in Co. Clare. Think it was around the 80th Anniversary of The Christmas Truce.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NZj8LobTNt0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I have a soft spot for Only You by The Flying Pickets. But I didnt nominate it... it was a Christmas #1 but its not festive in lyrics.

Was at the end of the Christmas office special when Tim and Dawn kissed. James cordon and Kylie Minogue did a great cover of it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Voted for Shakey, but would love to hear the Brenda Lee/Mel Smith version of Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree - I think you mean Kim Wilde/Mel Smith? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Voted for Chris Rea - but there's one song I don't know at all.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I voted for Chris Rea also .
    Always conjures up an image of someone heading home , car laden with luggage and presents , anticipating the warm welcome , and hugs and happiness when they reach home :)

corblimey wrote: »
    Voted for Shakey, but would love to hear the Brenda Lee/Mel Smith version of Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree - I think you mean Kim Wilde/Mel Smith? :D

Yep typo on my end! It was a long list of songs haha.

So later than advertised,

Boards.ie top three favourite songs for 2018 were;

Joint 2nd with 10 votes each

Little Drummer Boy - Bing Cosby/David Bowie
    Driving Home for Christmas - Chris Rea

And number one to no surprises really with 14 votes,

Fairytale of New York - The Pogues

And to celebrate the song making number 1 here is a very special cover version of it by Gavin James.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t click on that video :eek: it broke my laptop (well being hopped off the wall probably did the damage)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don’t click on that video :eek: it broke my laptop (well being hopped off the wall probably did the damage)

I think it's a good cover... beats Ronan Keating's cover anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I like Driving Home For Christmas, but really dislike the other two. You all have terrible taste. :pac:

I like Driving Home For Christmas, but really dislike the other two. You all have terrible taste. :pac:

Agreed - a depressing dirge, can't understand its popularity apart from a good melody, [/SULKS]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    The Ebola virus beats Ronan Keating's cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I’m so fickle when it comes to a favourite Christmas song...I can’t even remember what I voted for!

It will be in italics in the list above (on desktop anyway)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Baby its cold outside, let's make Xmas no. 1

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Baby its cold outside, let's make Xmas no. 1

Why? it’s not a Christmas song?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

The definitive cover of FoNY:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Why? it’s not a Christmas song?

Ah here, it is in the same way Die Hard is a christmas movie.

Advertisement