Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger Vs Phil

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jeysus it’s properly dark there very very quick

Deffoo potential with this, it would have to be straightened up a bit in terms of putts given, but I dont believe, this game it was for 9 milly.

I'm on the fence but if they could up it I would watch and it possibly has a future in golf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Not sure about everyone else but I really enjoyed that, would watch again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

that was great entertainment, highly enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Billy crystals lookin well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Awful golf terrible putts all day but would watch again.

Who would you want to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Something different and I think they'll do more of these, Rory vs Reed is on the cards

I'll be very interested to see the ppv buy rates for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

but1er wrote: »
    Awful golf terrible putts all day but would watch again.

Who would you want to see?

Good question.
    I'd go Stenson Garcia or Fleetwood Watson.

It's harking back to Shells Wonerful World imo.

Ecco whats said above good entertainment, dont bill it as a 9 million match though it was kinda obvious it wasn't.

They said they were going to go different handed at some stage (this from the first playoff hole would have been better.

And to go overly gimmeckicky play it in arizona ( thats the stadium stand?) and possibly just have shots into the stadium like drivers from outside to inside the stadium would be cool

Overall I watched some of the world cup stuff yesterday and this entertained me more while being a little furhter away from traditonal golf

• Advertisement

Tiger v Garcia

Rory v Tiger

Stenson V Rose

Champ V Bryson

DJ v Brooks

DJ v Champ

Tiger v Garcia

Rory v Tiger

Stenson V Rose

Champ V Bryson

DJ v Brooks

DJ v Champ

Loads of options. I'd say there's a big drawback in exposure for sponsors in this format. Limited field, limited audience.
    Definitely entertainingvthough.

Loads of options. I'd say there's a big drawback in exposure for sponsors in this format. Limited field, limited audience.
    Definitely entertainingvthough.

I think not 100% sure that they have reduced next seasons golf season so it doesn't clash with the nfl, but if they can get (a saturday slot for this?) it could work in this format.

The richest places in the middle east would also pay the bucks to showcase some night time golf

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I thought the whole thing lacked any spark or edginess. It was all too gentlemanly. The golf wasn't great either.
    Neither of them looked too bothered whether they won the loot or not, probably because it wouldn't make much difference to their respective bank balances.
    I thought the whole thing was a damp squib.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

If they'd any decency whoever won should have announced the whole 9m going to charity. Was crap golf, played by two of the most boring personalities in world sport. All the mic did was showed up Phils serious lack of cardio and his respiratory issues. Playoff was the best bit, although sand wedges off tees? All they were short of was a rubber mat and a commando. Would have been better if they switched the lights off and gave them night vision goggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Trampas

Seve OB wrote: »
    You were saying?????

3 hours. How many was it to get to 18?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well I watched it all, Phil drove really well, Tiger never got going anywhere and Phil's putter was cold, no long snake putts in a course setup for birdies, Tiger's chip in on 17 woke me up from a doze, Phil was generous conceding that putt to Tiger on the 21st so happy to see Phil win on the next hole.
    There was no banter, the side bets were non-existent and the playoff 93yard was no way to finish it off IHMO.

Nice experiment but ultimately neither golfer was on fire, if one was I'm sure the other would have fed off but alas it was a meh evening in the end.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Is Tiger ready to play Jack yet?

Trampas wrote: »
    3 hours. How many was it to get to 18?

Think it was almost 4.5 hours to finish 18 holes.
    A joke.

Just thinking, to make it more watchable.

They should have allowed buggies, had one for each player & caddy.
    And another floating one the 2 lads could have driven together in.
    Maybe even throw in a cart race or 2.

It was boring to watch........ In fairness apart from the playoff. That was at least a bit exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Seve OB wrote: »
    Think it was almost 4.5 hours to finish 18 holes.
    A joke.

Just thinking, to make it more watchable.

They should have allowed buggies, had one for each player & caddy.
    And another floating one the 2 lads could have driven together in.
    Maybe even throw in a cart race or 2.

It was boring to watch........ In fairness apart from the playoff. That was at least a bit exciting

I thought the exact same, why weren’t they given buggies. I reckon to allow adverts!

The commentary was awful except for Sam and his side kick.

They use to do a skins format with the top 4 players and that was a lot more interesting but this format was far to slow and Phil is boring. Maybe have 4 head to head games going at the same time? ie Rory and Dustin, Speith and Reed etc. also, shot-clock, Phil was far to slow and I think he was doing it on purpose.

But both players were very sporting and respectful to each other which was also disappointing.

• Advertisement

Yes shot clock would have been good.
    No shot penalties, maybe 10k a second $$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I thought the exact same, why weren’t they given buggies. I reckon to allow adverts!

The commentary was awful except for Sam and his side kick.

They use to do a skins format with the top 4 players and that was a lot more interesting but this format was far to slow and Phil is boring. Maybe have 4 head to head games going at the same time? ie Rory and Dustin, Speith and Reed etc. also, shot-clock, Phil was far to slow and I think he was doing it on purpose.

But both players were very sporting and respectful to each other which was also disappointing.

Charles Barkley? He aint no sidekick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Trampas

Reports they’ve signed up again

That cow needs milking.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone who paid money for this in the first place wants their head examined!

I think they should play it at TPC Scottsdale, it'd be better with a crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Marley and Marley

The concept itself of a one off showpiece golf tournament is a good idea for a TV show and a way of promoting the sport, a bit like what Shell's Wonderful World of Golf was in the past.

However they could come up with a much better format.

Should have a tournament like this.

8 players (4 men and 4 women) , one man and one woman per team making sure all are fairly high profile players.

Play foursomes matchplay as the format and play the tournament as follows:
    First six holes are the quarter finals
    Holes 7-12 are the semi finals
    Holes 13-18 is the final.

A tied match is settled by simply a closest to the flag contest at a par 3, which would prevent the repetitiveness of what happened with Tiger V Phil.

Having a format with men and women paying together would generate more interest and having more players on the course would reduce all the dead air you get with only 2 players paying against each other.

All prize money to go to charity.

Advertisement