Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recent-ish cars that were once ubiquitous but which you don't see anymore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Micras of that K11 era were great mechanically.

They like to rust though.

Can't figure why Nissan seemed to be starting to get the hang of rust protection with the last of the Bluebirds but then lost the plot and got sloppy on rust with P10 Primera - that K11 Micra, P11 Primera and both gens of Almera having rust issues of one kind or other.

N14 Sunnys aren't exactly strangers to rust either.

Looks like Nissan all round quality peaked with the T12/T72 Bluebirds and then started to trend downwards.

Because said Bluebirds were excellent cars there was still epic scope for later Nissans to be less good but still reliable.

Of course the Bluebirds were an evolution of a design which which had the potential to be excellent in the Stanza but which had some silly flaws in it.

The Bluebird fixed those flaws and was a much better car for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

Back in my early driving days, the Renault Fuego and Datsun Cherry were popular.

But THE car was the Toyota Celica! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Daewoo matiz and lanos were very common in their day.cheap as chips, the dacia of their time.matiz was a real city car with the small engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Daewoo matiz and lanos were very common in their day.cheap as chips, the dacia of their time.matiz was a real city car with the small engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I actually like the Figaro. Especially the interior. *ducks*

You never see Lagunas around anymore.

I do. Very few mk 1's do.
    Nixonbot wrote: »
    fordmonds1_750_500_70.jpg

Mk1 Mondeos. Must have rusted to nothing, because they used to be everywhere! Compared to a fair few Corollas, Primeras, 406s and Carinas from the time, there's very few Mondeos left.

The Ford Mondane as it was known too. Can't say I miss them. Thankfully most of the boring Carina's are gone too.
    Mech1 wrote: »
    Mercedes ML range, thank god they are gone, broke my heart.

There is still one where I live and its in good condition too.
    Daewoo Lanos, I got mine in 2000 and there seemed to be a few about back then but I can't remember the last time I seen one now...

One of my neighbours has one so I still see one nearly every day.
    Carina E were a good car.

It might have been good but it was so dreary. Even the brochure for it was boring. There was nothing in it that would make you say; yes that's nice or that's a good idea I think I might buy this car.

One of my neighbours still has a Lanos. Was talking about replacing it this year but I think they are not just going to keep driving it until it either dies or becomes to expensive to keep.

You do not see many Renault Espace around anymore. It was not Renault's best car reliability wise do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Odd statement considering they're everywhere lately

Yes, you can add Clio Mk2 to that list.

Never noticed them much, and then the daughter got an 06 one to learn and I now literally can't stop seeing them everywhere. They just have sold an awful lot of them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

AMKC wrote: »
    Thankfully most of the boring Carina's are gone too.

It might have been good but it was so dreary. Even the brochure for it was boring. There was nothing in it that would make you say; yes that's nice or that's a good idea I think I might buy this car.

All those taxi drivers and farmers were wrong so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Fiat Punto.

Saw a 93 Carina E yesterday as it happens. Bit shmokey but structurally sound looking

Ms

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes, you can add Clio Mk2 to that list.

Never noticed them much, and then the daughter got an 06 one to learn and I now literally can't stop seeing them everywhere. They just have sold an awful lot of them.

They were a good car with a good 1.2 litre engine.
    elperello wrote: »
    All those taxi drivers and farmers were wrong so :)

I agree they were.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I realised the other that day that it's been ages since I saw a Volvo S40 Mark I on the roads. At one point there were loads of these doing the rounds but now they seem to have fizzled out and it's rare to see one. I also remember the E39 5 series was a very plentiful sight on the road but thinking about it I can't actually recall the last time I saw one on the road.

Any others that spring to mind?
    S70 Volvo Opel Kadett,Opel as ona

• Advertisement

I agree they were.

Would you stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mercedes E Class 1996 - 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Honda Accord 2008 model - there were lots of them brought in from the UK.
    BMW 3-Series coupe 03-06 model - Again for a while there, there seemed to be lots and lots of them.

Both seem to have been replaced by VW Passats, Audi A4's and Audi A6's, with an almost complete disappearance of the 2-door car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mitsubishi Galant all but gone.
    Even Grande Puntos are getting thin on the ground.
    Suzuki Vitaras, from the late 90s to early 00s have vanished too.
    Anything with a Rover badge, and the PT Cruiser is a faint memory too.

Ms

Citroen ZX and Xsara's. You don;t see many of either on the roads anymore.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Xsara Picmyasso is rare enough these days, those eggs were once everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

2 in Cork yesterday

Ms

You don't see any Mitsubishi Carisma's anymore. It was built alongside the Volvo S40. They used to be quiet popular as they had good engines, were reliable and were a good price. There name was not the best do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You don't see any Mitsubishi Carisma's anymore. It was built alongside the Volvo S40. They used to be quiet popular as they had good engines, were reliable and were a good price. There name was not the best do.

They were never a big seller and I'd forgotten about them but thanks for reminding me.
    I went looking, there are two on DD. Look at this one owner, low mileage, plastic still on back seats 400 quid.
    Maybe all is not as it seems !

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-carisma-saloon-petrol-red/20558801

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

As another poster said they weren't a big seller and they were horrible yokes, they had a terrible Renault gearbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

With good reason. It was a truely dreadful car. It had the deadly combination of bland Japanese styling and ropey Renault/Volvo engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Moved to Madrid for work and it's an absolutely wonderful trip down motoring nostalgia lane from Peugeot 405s to Renault 19s and Mk1 Clios.

It's great walking around the city seeing old stuff still on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

gerardk55 wrote: »
    Moved to Madrid for work and it's an absolutely wonderful trip down motoring nostalgia lane from Peugeot 405s to Renault 19s and Mk1 Clios.

If only we had this single market in insurance we were promised, and the insurers that can operate profitably in Madrid would come here to keep our motoring costs down.

And break up the cosy cartels? Unlikely!!

It is interesting that in countries like France, Germany and Spain that actually have motor manufacturing industries you will see more older cars than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don’t think car insurance is necessarily the issue- the costs of maintenance and general throw away attidude we have here are stronger factors. No one would want to be seen in a 30 year old Renault whereas on the continent people don’t seem to care less.

You're right of course, it's a combination of factors, vanity, insurance, climate and possibly scrappage schemes. How many decent cars go to the crushers for a 191 Dacia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

You're right of course, it's a combination of factors, vanity, insurance, climate and possibly scrappage schemes. How many decent cars go to the crushers for a 191 Dacia?

Nearly all the cars we get in against new Dacias are only fit for scrappage

Ms

elperello wrote: »
    They were never a big seller and I'd forgotten about them but thanks for reminding me.
    I went looking, there are two on DD. Look at this one owner, low mileage, plastic still on back seats 400 quid.
    Maybe all is not as it seems !

Your welcome.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-carisma-saloon-petrol-red/20558801
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    As another poster said they weren't a big seller and they were horrible yokes, they had a terrible Renault gearbox.

I disagree. I think for the time they were quiet a stylish, reliable well made car with a stylish dash too. The family even thought of buying one in the 90's but went for a French saloon instead as they got a good deal and the dealer done a good job selling the car.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    With good reason. It was a truely dreadful car. It had the deadly combination of bland Japanese styling and ropey Renault/Volvo engineering.

I disagree. I thought it was quit stylish at the time compared to what Toyota, Nissan or even Mazda had.
    Nothing wrong with Renault engineering.

I had an uncle that had a new Renault 19 back in the early 90's. I remember how bad the remote central locking used to be. It had to be aimed at the drivers door mirror as that's where the sensor for it was. It was one of the first on a mass produced car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I disagree. I think for the time they were quiet a stylish, reliable well made car with a stylish dash too. The family even thought of buying one in the 90's but went for a French saloon instead as they got a good deal and the dealer done a good job selling the car.

I disagree. I thought it was quit stylish at the time compared to what Toyota, Nissan or even Mazda had.
    Nothing wrong with Renault engineering.
    In reality they were terrible car's though. They were poorly built not all that reliable and renault gearboxes back then were horrible to use. Even the lancer and the colt with a mitsubishi gearbox were much more pleasant to drive.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the carisma was far from stylish even in comparison to nissan toyota and mazda's offerings.

Advertisement