Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recent-ish cars that were once ubiquitous but which you don't see anymore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Opel Omega

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Skoda Fabia saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    With any luck the Dacia Duster (pleb wagon) will go the way of the Dodo in time too....

With the amount they are selling that probably won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

OSI wrote: »
    Pretty much any French hatchback.

The older Peugeot 206 in particular still a regular sight. For all their terrible reputation they’re a great survivor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

EPAndlee wrote: »
    With the amount they are selling that probably won't happen

I’d imagine, from what I’m hearing, that their lifespan will be short. Even from an economic pov they are unlikely to hang around - when they get to bangernomics money, they will be up against far more polished opposition so are likely to be one of the first of their era to hit the scrap heap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

chicorytip wrote: »
    Opel Omega

No one wanted to pay the tax on an under powered 2 litre petrol.
    I'd say many had the diff welded, abused then scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Mazda 121 was common in the mid 1990s, never see them.

Any small hatch as a commercial.

boombang wrote: »
    Mazda 121 was common in the mid 1990s, never see them.

Any small catch as a commercial.

I saw one in Carlow a few months ago- a green 95 one- the small saloon one. Still mad looking things!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Mk 1 focus seem to be declining at a fast rate yet still see lots of mk4 golfs about and the ford was the better car at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Skoda Fabia saloon.
    Yes! They've almost all gone, thank God

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I remember around 2000 when I waitered as a young fella in a restaurant, being told by the management to go around all the tables and find the owner of a Rover 600 outside that was blocking the entrance. I remember asking "Excuse me, does anyone at this table drive a Rover 600?"
    Every second table replied "I WISH!". :D

1993-rover-600-5.jpg

You used to see 600s and Rovers in general everywhere; it's pretty obvious why you don't any more, but aside from the odd MG they are non existent, no more, they "cease to be"...

Head gaskets made from mashed banana didn't help.

The 600 was based on an accord and mostb had honda engines with no hg or reliability issues that plagued the rover engines. They were the best built and most reliable rover ever made.

Philb76 wrote: »
    Mk 1 focus seem to be declining at a fast rate yet still see lots of mk4 golfs about and the ford was the better car at that time

Better driver's car maybe but the mk4 golf was better built and more importantly had much better rust protection which is helping them survive longer than the focus.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Yes! They've almost all gone, thank God

Saw one last week now that it’s mentioned. Fairly battered and old looking

Opel vectra is one that’s getting rare too. Actually a lot of cars of that early 2000s era have been clobbered with high repair bills and high road tax which means they’ve been uneconomical to repair, especially so with larger engines. It’s a criminal waste really but our moribound and clueless govt will never do anything to assist only pile on more taxes and try sell more new ones. Protecting the environment me hole...

Peugeot 206s used be fooking everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

MDY1ODQ2MWI4YmZkYTUwMGZjMDNiNDJkMzIxYzE3YTdlTR-p6J_QQ35Br4S5ixTqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTMzNjIyMjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Hyundai Accent was very common, but I don't see so many now. Very much unmissed I would say. I rented one once and wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Augeo wrote: »

Remember the estate version.
    Haven't seen one for years.

boombang wrote: »
    MDY1ODQ2MWI4YmZkYTUwMGZjMDNiNDJkMzIxYzE3YTdlTR-p6J_QQ35Br4S5ixTqaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTMzNjIyMjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Hyundai Accent was very common, but I don't see so many now. Very much unmissed I would say. I rented one once and wasn't impressed.

The newest accent of that model is going on 13 years old now so not surprising they are not that common. They were cheap to buy new and were not a bad car for the money. They were reliable, pleasant enough to drive and they were economical.

They were much better than other bargain basement cars of the same era such as the lanos or the equivalent chevrolet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭RINO87

elperello wrote: »
    Remember the estate version.
    Haven't seen one for years.

Had an estate one for years and was surprised how well it held up for me. Bought it with 105k miles on the clock, in 5 years I put 75k miles on it. Regular services meant I only really had to replace track rod ends wish bones, ball joints etc which are notoriously soft on them. I was putting hight miles on it towards the end and started having fuel pump and thermostat issues so I let her go for peanuts. Was mad selling a 206 with over 180k miles on it!!

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Other than this morning, i've not seen an Alfa GT is ages. They dying of Alfa old age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Other than this morning, i've not seen an Alfa GT is ages. They dying of Alfa old age?

147/156 have died away. I remember about 5 years ago having a large stock of 2.5 V6 156's in my garden :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

147/156 have died away. I remember about 5 years ago having a large stock of 2.5 V6 156's in my garden :p

You must have a quiet wife :D

Gravelly wrote: »
    You must have a quiet wife :D

I have a far bigger garden these days at another property ;)

Augeo wrote: »

I still see them everywhere! They’re a great little survivor at odds with their terrible reputation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Don't seem to see many Corsa B around nowadays. Used to be quite common as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Recently in Spain - Nerja i saw a Seat Malaga in great nick.....white with that red painted name on the boot lid ! really took me back :o

Recently in Spain - Nerja i saw a Seat Malaga in great nick.....white with that red painted name on the boot lid ! really took me back :o

Must be twenty years since you’d see one here even then they were rare. Always a treat to go to the continent and see 80s 90s cars in regular daily use. Even 70s in France, they’re a thrifty nation and don’t believe in dumping something that’s perfectly fine. Our govt and betters build the system to do just that

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Don't seem to see many Corsa B around nowadays. Used to be quite common as I recall.

Didn’t the engines blow up on the mark II one circa year 2000? Also lots of problems with ECUs I seem to recall
    This was the era when Opel went from reliable to junk status

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hopefully will be bringing one into the country soon.

• Advertisement

I've thought of a few more:

Isuzu Trooper. Remember they were everywhere?
    Nissan Navara, naturally (split that crew cab tax in half sure)
    B5/B6/B7 Audi A4 is a rare sight in the city and countryside
    Citroen Xantia is naturally rare :( but the C5 has dwindled away too
    Seat Cordoba have declined over the years, thankfully
    Mk3 Ford Mondog is becoming increasingly rare to see
    W202/W210 are pretty much extinct. Changing to that sh*te waterbased paint in 1998 caused even more rust to trap (my 1995 C220 being much more structural and rust free than my 2000 C220 despite lying up for years for example)
    Smiley Transits vanished overnight into scrapyards. Then they vanished out of the scrapyards too, meaning making a 11mm ve pump is a bit difficult these days!
    Some people with more money than brains bought Peugeot 607's when they were new. I remember seeing plenty in the mid 00's, which all have vanished. I do know of 2 in existence though, both being my own ones :o

Advertisement