Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday Laptop deals?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 CorkBhoy37

Bonidel wrote: »
    Thanks STB, I went for the Teclast F7. For the price it has a very decent spec for an entry level notebook and just what I was looking to get for one of the kids xmas presents.

Cheers.

Did you pay €272.59 including delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

STB. wrote: »
    Nothing. It ships from FAST-29 which is Spain. (Fast 23 is Germany/Czech Rep) The ones you don't want it shipped from on Gearbest are CN-59 / CN-099 / HK-2 - China & HK)

Its an Apollo Lake CPU but the bios is unlocked so you can disable the power limit if you want.

AC Dual band Wifi, Bluetooth, 2 USB 3.0 ports, Miscro SD slot, Micro HDMI out and headphone socket. The mouse pad is one of those precision ones.

Its an entry level budget laptop, but I honestly cant fault it. I have one and the reaction to the price from people is WTF especially as it looks like it rolled off the Apple production line.

Its also on geekbuying.com €257 from Poland including DPD express delivery.

Would it have issues with running (bloody!) Roblox?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Bonidel wrote: »
    Thanks STB, I went for the Teclast F7. For the price it has a very decent spec for an entry level notebook and just what I was looking to get for one of the kids xmas presents.

Cheers.

Kids.

These come with a 2 pin to 3 pin power adaptor which look like this.

Universal-Travel-Adapter-AU-US-EU-to-UK-Adapter-Converter-3-Pin-AC-Power-Plug-Adaptor.jpg_640x640.jpg

Bin it. Like many of these adaptors that ship with 2 pin products, they are not stable enough to stay in the adaptor and are therefore not safe as the power supply for the teclast looks like this .

Buy one of these below - €4 on ebay/amazon. You can tighten them (safety screw in them) so that they are solid.

31Xx44cCUbL._AC_US218_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

legend99 wrote: »
    Thanks

I would like to know this also

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

I don’t see an option to purchase. I just have a stock notice button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

bergipau wrote: »
    I don’t see an option to purchase. I just have a stock notice button.

Gearbest has them in stock use STB's first link
    Geekbuying out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

gustafo wrote: »
    Anybody ever buy a refurbished laptop on Amazon? this one gets great reviews for the price, think i might take a chance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C6WNEL6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1P4WV8ZGK5JG9&psc=1

Im using a t430 at the moment, great laptop. A little bit pricey from amazon though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

gline wrote: »
    Im using a t430 at the moment, great laptop. A little bit pricey from amazon though

ohh ok do you think this is expensive for a refurb how much would they be new? would this laptop be ok for video editing or gaming do you know?

Cheers

Thanks

Sorry for bumping but wondering if anyone could help out here on this as many Black Friday sales are starting to end if I need to look for more expensive alternative. We have a 150Mbs fibre connection so won't have a problem with speed in terms of the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sorry for bumping but wondering if anyone could help out here on this as many Black Friday sales are starting to end if I need to look for more expensive alternative. We have a 150Mbs fibre connection so won't have a problem with speed in terms of the net.

Would ya not just get an Xbox one s for 200.
    Comes up often enough on currys

• Advertisement

Would ya not just get an Xbox one s for 200.
    Comes up often enough on currys

Would the XBox be better than this for Roblox?

Thanks

It has an Intel Apollo Lake N3450 with Intel HD Graphics 500 and the requisite RAM.

Its not a gaming laptop but the like of Roblox should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

It has an Intel Celeron N3450 quad-core 2.2GHz processor with Intel HD Graphics 500 and the requisite RAM.

Its not a gaming laptop but the like of Roblox should be fine.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=celeron

Its an Intel Apollo Lake N3450. Thanks for spotting it!

Its an Intel Apollo Lake N3450. Thanks for spotting it!

confused.com is where I am now! Was just about to buy it - is the chipset a total disaster or is it OK for Roblox/light use?
    Thanks for the help by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

confused.com is where I am now! Was just about to buy it - is the chipset a total disaster or is it OK for Roblox/light use?
    Thanks for the help by the way.

I think ghostymcghost is pulling the piss a little. Yes it's a Celeron CPU, but not the god awful ones from the early 2000's. They are decent chips these days, and this one is the latest Intel updates. But as for whether they'll run Roblox, I'll let someone else chime in on that :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I think ghostymcghost is pulling the piss a little. Yes it's a Celeron CPU, but not the god awful ones from the early 2000's. They are decent chips these days, and this one is the latest Intel updates. But as for whether they'll run Roblox, I'll let someone else chime in on that :)

1.1GHz up to 2.2GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

1.1GHz up to 2.2GHz.

It's both!

Apollo Lake is a style of architecture and Celeron is the brand it's sold under :)

https://ark.intel.com/products/95596/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3450-2M-Cache-up-to-2-2-GHz-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Would the XBox be better than this for Roblox?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 48,133 ✭✭✭✭km79

The Lenovo ideapads we are choosing between were not reduced in Curry’s at all
    I’ve now noticed on Curry’s uk site that their base price is WAY lower than Irish site
    420 pound vs 519 euro
    520 pound vs 650 euro

Is it risky to order from uk site ? I assume warranty won’t be honored by Irish stores ?

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    The Lenovo ideapads we are choosing between were not reduced in Curry’s at all
    I’ve now noticed on Curry’s uk site that their base price is WAY lower than Irish site
    420 pound vs 519 euro
    520 pound vs 650 euro

Is it risky to order from uk site ? I assume warranty won’t be honored by Irish stores ?

Last time I checked they were refusing to accept Irish cards on the UK site! That may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,133 ✭✭✭✭km79

Last time I checked they were refusing to accept Irish cards on the UK site! That may have changed.

I shave a Revolut which may work but having done the currency conversion it’s not worth the hassle unless it’s reduced further after Xmas
    Have spotted same model with more memory and nicer case on Lenovo website for 650 now too
    Do they ever do discount codes I wonder ?
    https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/300-series/Ideapad-330S-14-Intel/p/88IP30S0987

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

gustafo wrote: »
    ohh ok do you think this is expensive for a refurb how much would they be new? would this laptop be ok for video editing or gaming do you know?

Cheers

You cant buy them new as its an old model. I got mine for 250 second hand (i7 model with nvidia graphics) about 3 years ago. It would be ok for video editing and old games if its the model with nvidia graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any gaming laptops on sale or good value folks?

I wanna get a pc but wife is saying no while kids are small

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The code for 12%off, CYBER12, runs out tomorrow night on Dell. That can be applied to some of their gaming laptops.

Anyone buy one last week? If so what are your impressions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Same one I nabbed - In retrospect probably would have gotten the cheaper version with the 256gb nvme SSD and you can just install a 2.5 SSD pretty easily in the empty slot the 1TB HDD would have been occupying. Will probably swap out the 1TB it comes with anyway for a SSD on this model.

I'm thinking of getting the cheaper version, just wondering , if you upgrade the SSD do you need to reinstall windows and all the drivers on it yourself?
    I had thought you could just expand without need for installing

What do you think of the laptop you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭chonix

I'm thinking of getting the cheaper version, just wondering , if you upgrade the SSD do you need to reinstall windows and all the drivers on it yourself?

I believe you can use this: https://www.dell.com/support/article/ie/en/iedhs1/sln299044/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery-image-in-microsoft-windows?lang=en

Or just you can always resort to using Clonezilla to an USB drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CianFarrell

The laptop has a 256gb nvme ssd which is a chip. It also has an empty 2.5 drive slot that you can just slot in an additional ssd. Windows will remain in the chip ssd so no need to re install or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4 neil15

Has anyone got their teclast from gearbest yet? Mine was 'out for delivery' yesterday morning but was 'facility arrival' at 18:18 yesterday evening.

I also can't seem to track it using DHL so I don't think they're delivering it.

• Advertisement

the n3450 is not a great cpu, even for basic tasks really. it has a pretty low benchmark score. the n5000 is the lowest chip that I'd consider for guaranteed smooth experiences on windows.

That Teclast F7 seems to have some battery life issues also -

returned a two hour battery life in this review

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/teclast-f7/2

more reports of poor battery life here

https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/teclast-f7-battery-drain/

not sure if this is a general problem or one that happens with certain units but returning to geekbuying / gearbest would not be the easiest of experiences.

if you've ordered one just hope you don't get that issue

good screen and build tho.

Advertisement