Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday Laptop deals?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Guys, Can anyone recommend a laptop for a 10yo to be used for general web plus some gaming ... eg Fortnite / Roblox etc ... screen doesnt have to be top of the range it just has to work without stalling ... I really have no clue and would appreciate some advice please .... Obviously the cheaper the better but not more than about €700.
    Tia

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Only wrote: »
    Guys, Can anyone recommend a laptop for a 10yo to be used for general web plus some gaming ... eg Fortnite / Roblox etc ... screen doesnt have to be top of the range it just has to work without stalling ... I really have no clue and would appreciate some advice please .... Obviously the cheaper the better but not more than about €700.
    Tia

This seems like a good deal.

My advice for Fortnite/Roblox laptops in general;
    - Don't skimp on RAM (minimum 8GB)
    - Minimum GPU is Intel HD620 or Vega 3, but performance would be lacking and everything will be turned to low, and performance may be erratic. GT940m/Vega 8 or higher for good performance.
    - Don't get any screen lower than 1080p.
    - Most CPU's are fine for both (except the low end Pentium/AMD processors, but you wont get the GPUs normally packaged with low end CPUs anyway).
    - Go SSD if possible and not HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭chonix

marcbrophy wrote: »
    The G3's can be got in an "Up to" 1060 config.
    The particular model at €829 before discount has the 1050 in it.

It also looks like the model for €799 before discount has double the storage of the 829 model, but is cheaper? :o

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/dell-g3-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-3579-laptop
    but the 1060 is the 1060 Max-Q, which is theoretically a 1050-TI with higher clocks and cooler, not a "real" 1060 per-se.

I'm looking something with a 1060 around 850€. Has anyone seen a gem like that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

chonix wrote: »
    but the 1060 is the 1060 Max-Q, which is theoretically a 1050-TI with higher clocks and cooler, not a "real" 1060 per-se.

I'm looking something with a 1060 around 850€. Has anyone seen a gem like that?

Yep, if you can deliver to Parcelwizard/PM you can get a laptop w/1060 at 850 euro delivered.

Haven't found any better so far

EDIT: Apparently this laptop comes with free games:
    BattleField 1 (Full Game Download)
    Counter Strike: GO
    Gamer Sensei Game Coaching Credit
    Killing Floor 2 (Full Game Download)
    PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds (Full Game Download)
    PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds (Exclusive In-Game Content)
    World Of Tanks (In Game Content)
    World Of Warships (In Game Content)

EDIT 2: Same laptop is reduced on saveonlaptops.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 48,144 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8436140/Trail/searchtext%3ELenovo+330s.htm

Would that be suitable for a college student or is it too big ?

Has been waiting for the 14 inch model to be reduced in Curry’s or Lenovo site not no joy
    The 14inch with half the ram and half the sad storage is 100 euro dearer at the moment .......
    Both have i5 so assume are same speed unless I’m missing something
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-330s-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-128-gb-ssd-blue-10180844-pdt.html

There is also this bit it has no ssd which I assume is a no no as it will be slow to boot up ?
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-330-15ikb-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-grey-10185216-pdt.html
    10% cashback In Curry’s makes it attractive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

km79 wrote: »
    There is also this bit it has no ssd which I assume is a no no as it will be slow to boot up ?
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-330-15ikb-15-6-intel-core-i5-laptop-1-tb-hdd-grey-10185216-pdt.html
    10% cashback In Curry’s makes it attractive

Thats an older generation CPU though

This seems like a good deal.

My advice for Fortnite/Roblox laptops in general;
    - Don't skimp on RAM (minimum 8GB)
    - Minimum GPU is Intel HD620 or Vega 3, but performance would be lacking and everything will be turned to low, and performance may be erratic. GT940m/Vega 8 or higher for good performance.
    - Don't get any screen lower than 1080p.
    - Most CPU's are fine for both (except the low end Pentium/AMD processors, but you wont get the GPUs normally packaged with low end CPUs anyway).
    - Go SSD if possible and not HDD

Thanks very much for the recommendation and the linm, much appreciated!!
    I'm not up to speed on Tech Specs esp with AMD etc ... OH has this Laptop which has an i5 processor (got it for £600 a few months ago but its gone up in price since) ... just wondering how the one you linked to would compare speed-wise? I realise it a good bit cheaper so not really fair to compare but I'm asking just for my own understanding... thanks a mill!!
    (My head will be fried if I get something that 'Lags' ... cannot cope with the "Its Lagging" shouts in this house :eek::(

dubal wrote: »
    Thats an older generation CPU though

Thanks I thought that alright

Only wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the recommendation and the linm, much appreciated!!
    I'm not up to speed on Tech Specs esp with AMD etc ... OH has this Laptop which has an i5 processor (got it for £600 a few months ago but its gone up in price since) ... just wondering how the one you linked to would compare speed-wise? I realise it a good bit cheaper so not really fair to compare but I'm asking just for my own understanding... thanks a mill!!
    (My head will be fried if I get something that 'Lags' ... cannot cope with the "Its Lagging" shouts in this house :eek::(

Ryzen 5 is similar in performance to the latest i5s, but GPU performance with AMD is much better than Intels offerings, and battery is more efficient. The Ryzen 5 laptops will run Fortnite/Roblox without much issue with some graphics cranked up without lag.

There's also 2 type of 'lag' they may refer to, one being performance lag, as in the laptop/PC can't process fast enough for a smooth delivery on the screen, or network lag, when your broadband providers internet is slow to deliver traffic over the internet and the result is the end-user sees characters on screen jump back and forth. Can't do anything about the latter without contacting your provider or if someone is downloading heavily over your internet.

Ryzen 5 is similar in performance to the latest i5s, but GPU performance with AMD is much better than Intels offerings, and battery is more efficient. The Ryzen 5 laptops will run Fortnite/Roblox without much issue with some graphics cranked up without lag.

There's also 2 type of 'lag' they may refer to, one being performance lag, as in the laptop/PC can't process fast enough for a smooth delivery on the screen, or network lag, when your broadband providers internet is slow to deliver traffic over the internet and the result is the end-user sees characters on screen jump back and forth. Can't do anything about the latter without contacting your provider or if someone is downloading heavily over your internet.
    So... this one might be a good option:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Nitro-AN515-42-Gaming-Notebook/dp/B07FLZ8NRG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1543232734&sr=1-1&keywords=560x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Vonbine

This ASUS Vivobook A556UQ-DM1469T looks to be a decent deal with a FREE Intel Gaming Bundle worth £150. I can't post the link but its on the saveonlaptops.uk site. Price is £499.

Specifications

Processor Intel Core i7-7500U Dual Core (2.7GHz, 4MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Up To 3.5GHz)
    Screen 15.6" (1920x1080 FHD Resolution, LED Back-lit, Ultra Slim 200nits, Anti-Glare Screen)
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    RAM 8GB (DDR4 2400MHz)
    Solid State Drive No SSD Storage Included
    Hard Drive 1000GB
    Optical Drive DVD Rewriter (Records DVDs 8x & CDs 24x & Dual Layer Super Multi)
    Graphics Dedicated (NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 940MX with 2GB GDDR3 Dedicated Memory)
    Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
    Wireless LAN Wireless (802.11b/g/n WiFi)
    Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
    Integrated Webcam Integrated HD Webcam with Microphone
    Speakers Integrated Sound System
    USB Ports 1x USB2.0 1x USB 3.0 1x USB 3.1 (Type C)
    Card Reader SD Card Reader
    HDMI Port 1 x HDMI
    VGA Port 1 External VGA Port
    Battery Life 3-4 Hours (up to 4 hours with power management)
    Weight 2-3 Kg (This Model 2.3Kg)
    Warranty ASUS 12 Month Collect & Return Warranty (View More Information)
    Finger Print Reader No
    Product Type Gaming laptop
    Keyboard Type Laptop Keyboard
    Colour Dark Blue
    Dimensions 38.2 cm Width, 25.6 cm Depth, 2.55 cm Height

Hi, It was the particular laptop that was being used that was driving him nuts (it was a different laptop than the one I linked in previous post) so want to make sure that wont happen.
    chonix wrote: »

Thanks choinx ... its a bit out of my budget ... am conscious of it being a 10yo having it and 'accidents' happening so was limiting how much I spend

Vonbine wrote: »
    This ASUS Vivobook A556UQ-DM1469T looks to be a decent deal with a FREE Intel Gaming Bundle worth £150. I can't post the link but its on the saveonlaptops.uk site. Price is £499.

Specifications

Processor Intel Core i7-7500U Dual Core (2.7GHz, 4MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Up To 3.5GHz)
    Screen 15.6" (1920x1080 FHD Resolution, LED Back-lit, Ultra Slim 200nits, Anti-Glare Screen)
    RAM 8GB (DDR4 2400MHz)
    Hard Drive 1000GB
    Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
    HDMI Port 1 x HDMI
    Finger Print Reader No
    Colour Dark Blue

Thanks for that ... Would this be a better option that the one cherryghost linked to ... it seems to have a HDD as opposed to an SSD which cherryghost recommended??
    I do't mind going the bit extra if itd be a better option .....
    Sorry for all the questions - I am a bit clueless:o

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Robzer

Vonbine wrote: »

Specifications

RAM 8GB (DDR4 2400MHz)
    Hard Drive 1000GB
    Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
    HDMI Port 1 x HDMI
    Finger Print Reader No
    Colour Dark Blue

Go for ssd at all times - they are absolutely superb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Robzer wrote:
    Go for ssd at all times - they are absolutely superb

Usually expensive fir decent size. I would prefer to buy with a small one and swap it out or replace the cd drive with a larger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Usually expensive fir decent size. I would prefer to buy with a small one and swap it out or replace the cd drive with a larger one.

Nice price on this Kingston 480gb atm!
    £64.64 if you have a spare 2.5" bay :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-SA400S37-480G-Solid/dp/B01N0TQPQB/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543243637&sr=8-4&keywords=480gb+ssd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Bargains eh.

So the question was asked several times on this thread a basic browsing and watching films laptop.

Teclast F7.

6 gigs of Ram. 128GB SSD. Windows 10.
    14" Full HD IPS
    Super Thin - Airbook rip off. Light as a feather - about 5-6 hours battery life.

€265 including expedited shipping from Europe.

https://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_1682917.html?wid=1241548

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 CorkBhoy37

Don’t know too much about laptops and the specs but would the Teclast F7 Notebook be a good entry level laptop for my daughter who is starting to practice Word/typing/browsing at school. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

STB. wrote: »
    Bargains eh.

So the question was asked several times on this thread a basic browsing and watching films laptop.

Teclast F7.

6 gigs of Ram. 128GB SSD. Windows 10.
    14" Full HD IPS
    Super Thin - Airbook rip off. Light as a feather - about 5-6 hours battery life.

€265 including expedited shipping from Europe.

https://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_1682917.html?wid=1241548

What would be the import duty on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

bergipau wrote: »

No its shipped from Europe according to the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

bergipau wrote:

I just ordered it there is shipped with DHL 3-7 working days if any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Bonidel

undecided wrote: »
    I just ordered it there is shipped with DHL 3-7 working days if any use?

I'm about to purchase but are you sure that there isn't any taxes\import duty to pay on this? How do we know it is coming from Europe?

bergipau wrote: »

Nothing. It ships from FAST-29 which is Spain. (Fast 23 is Germany/Czech Rep) The ones you don't want it shipped from on Gearbest are CN-59 / CN-099 / HK-2 - China & HK)

Its an Apollo Lake CPU but the bios is unlocked so you can disable the power limit if you want.

AC Dual band Wifi, Bluetooth, 2 USB 3.0 ports, Miscro SD slot, Micro HDMI out and headphone socket. The mouse pad is one of those precision ones.

Its an entry level budget laptop, but I honestly cant fault it. I have one and the reaction to the price from people is WTF especially as it looks like it rolled off the Apple production line.

Its also on geekbuying.com €257 from Poland including DPD express delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Anybody ever buy a refurbished laptop on Amazon? this one gets great reviews for the price, think i might take a chance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C6WNEL6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1P4WV8ZGK5JG9&psc=1

gustafo wrote: »
    Anybody ever buy a refurbished laptop on Amazon? this one gets great reviews for the price, think i might take a chance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C6WNEL6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1P4WV8ZGK5JG9&psc=1
    Been using a T430 for a few years, quite a sturdy and good computer. Hope that refubrished won't cause any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bonidel

Thanks STB, I went for the Teclast F7. For the price it has a very decent spec for an entry level notebook and just what I was looking to get for one of the kids xmas presents.

Cheers.

Was all set to pull the trigger on this one
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-330s-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-grey-10180850-pdt.html
    And then I spotted the battery life is only 3 hours ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CianFarrell

Spent at least 15hrs researching and pricing and pulled the trigger on the dell G3 15inch with the i5 8th gen processer, 1050 nvideo graphics card along with 128ssd and 1tb hdd. Got the lot along with 36 months antivirus for 760 with 12% off with dell ending today I think

Not sure there is a better bang for your buck out there

Same one I nabbed - In retrospect probably would have gotten the cheaper version with the 256gb nvme SSD and you can just install a 2.5 SSD pretty easily in the empty slot the 1TB HDD would have been occupying. Will probably swap out the 1TB it comes with anyway for a SSD on this model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

STB. wrote: »
    Nothing. It ships from FAST-29 which is Spain. (Fast 23 is Germany/Czech Rep) The ones you don't want it shipped from on Gearbest are CN-59 / CN-099 / HK-2 - China & HK)

Its an Apollo Lake CPU but the bios is unlocked so you can disable the power limit if you want.

AC Dual band Wifi, Bluetooth, 2 USB 3.0 ports, Miscro SD slot, Micro HDMI out and headphone socket. The mouse pad is one of those precision ones.

Its an entry level budget laptop, but I honestly cant fault it. I have one and the reaction to the price from people is WTF especially as it looks like it rolled off the Apple production line.

Its also on geekbuying.com €257 from Poland including DPD express delivery.

Great bargain STB
    Is Poland the quickest?
    EDIT forget that question!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 djb92

Picked up a 2017 non touchbar 13" MacBook Pro for 1199 today in currys. Cheaper than a refurb directly from Apple. On the currys website they had the 15" touch bar for 1000 with a discount of something mad like over 1000 euro but was out of stock, wonderig were they ever on sale for that or just some sort of promo/error.

• Advertisement

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Great bargain STB
    Is Poland the quickest?
    EDIT forget that question!

With geekbuying ? Yes its less than a week normally 3/4 days according to a mate who bought one also.

I got mine on gearbest from the Czech Rep warehouse (the warehouse availability changes all the time) and it was 3/4 days.

Advertisement