Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread goes fourth.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Thanks for the advice, will do both. Just got another email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Are any of the apps on PS4 worth downloading.

(Apart from Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Sky & Twitch)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bit more than the average colour change for limited editions

sekiro-shadows-die-twice-limited-edition-ps4-pro-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Are any of the apps on PS4 worth downloading.

(Apart from Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Sky & Twitch)

Think you've covered all your bases there. Maybe Spotify? And PSNow if that's of any interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Has anyone any recommendations for a HDMI switch that works with the PS4? Ideally it'd have 4 or 5 inputs.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The division 2 open beta starting tomorrow morning, pre-load is live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Inviere wrote: »
    Has anyone any recommendations for a HDMI switch that works with the PS4? Ideally it'd have 4 or 5 inputs.....

I got one form Argos years ago, still works perfectly. Don't think any make/model would makew a blind bit of difference to their function.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I picked a Betron one up off of Amazon for about a tenner and had no issues.

Is HDR comparability required, will you use a PC on it where you'd need/want higher refresh rates at 1440+ resolution or want it a bit future proof.

I got an unpowered one with 3 ports in Tesco. Even had a wee remote, One4All brand I think.Ran a ps4 slim, One X and PC on it. Served me well until I upgraded to a 4k monitor in recent times. PS4 will still work if I disable HDR in it's settings but no good for PC and One X in 4k. Reminds me I need to look for one with 4k support to replace it as I hate having to use the input toggle on the monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I plan on getting this one on amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072J4C42H/

That's HDMI version 1.4.

would try to get one that's version 2.0

Interesting thread over on reddit about some foreshadowing in God Of War.

(Light spoilers)

Am I seeing what I think I am seeing. [Reddit]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm still having loud fan issues on PS4 Pro(too lazy to try cleaning/moving it yet) but there is a faint clicking noise now when the fan starts getting faster and also when it starts slowing down. Definitely gonna clean it and move it to an open space today. Weird thing, I can get the fans going mad when I open the menu in Trials Rising. Close the menu back to a race and they slow down, very weird.

Anyone had clicking fans before?

Firmware 6.50 out, adds remote play to IOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Varik wrote: »
    Firmware 6.50 out, adds remote play to IOS.
    But still not non-Sony androids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

No sign of the app on iOS though. What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/400676/dm-logistics

I'm using this, works well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Batesy wrote: »
    No sign of the app on iOS though. What gives?

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/ps4-remote-play/id1436192460?mt=8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

dulpit wrote: »
    But still not non-Sony androids?

Not even all Sony androids. Had an old Z3 compact for years that could use remote play, then bought a newer Xperia handset but presumably because its not in the flagship tier it can't use it even though it has better specs.

You never use it anyway to be honest, tiny screen and some input lag means the novelty wears off fast.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm still having loud fan issues on PS4 Pro(too lazy to try cleaning/moving it yet) but there is a faint clicking noise now when the fan starts getting faster and also when it starts slowing down. Definitely gonna clean it and move it to an open space today. Weird thing, I can get the fans going mad when I open the menu in Trials Rising. Close the menu back to a race and they slow down, very weird.

Anyone had clicking fans before?

God bless the ol Hoover! Between that and leaving it rest on top of the TV unit rather than sitting in the shelf, it made a HUGE difference. Didn't even sound like PS4 was running. Tried a game that kills the fans and before, I would have labelled the sound levels low, medium and high, stressing the fans now never got them above low. No more clicking either. Hopefully it stays like that but the Hoover will be brought out sooner next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I never had a problem with mine until out of nowhere playing GoW last week it started uop. Only for a sort while and it's fine now. Have hoover on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I definitely think positioning is far more important this gen than last. I'm getting the jumbo jet fans myself, even though I have it at least 1ft away from the wall behind it. Even at that, the wall gets hot, so I'm sure the heat is bouncing back to the PS4 causing this. Must test it myself by putting it somewhere else. Have 4 days off next weekend to play World Seeker, so will do a bit of testing around then.

Same as you though, menus cause the fans to go mad, especially map menus. In AC Odyssey, I could be in the middle of a fort causing mayhem, no really loud fans. Go into the map and after a few seconds it takes off. Same if I go back to the main loading screen, fans go mental. Happens in nearly every game with a map, RDR2, GoW, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Pretty sick of seeing 4K attached to the pro,practically none of the games that have patches run at 4K. Its nearly all 1440p mostly.

It does feel like it even struggles at that resolution sometimes. Ultimately i thought the pro was better on my old 1080p TV with supersampling and boost mode than it has been with a newish 4K TV.

The console is underpowered massively for 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

EoinHef wrote: »

It was never pitched as a true 4K console though, even by Sony who expalined how it works. Most people just see 4K and believe it.

The PS4 Pro does checkerboard 4K for most of the time it does 4K at all.
    I think onlt 1 game runs at true 4k on it.

You will have to wait till next gen for true 4K gaming, no console on the market is powerful enough to handle it at playable frame rates.

The Pro is mainly for increased frame rates at 1080p and 1440p at 30fps as you rightly say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

EoinHef wrote: »
    Pretty sick of seeing 4K attached to the pro,practically none of the games that have patches run at 4K. Its nearly all 1440p mostly.

It does feel like it even struggles at that resolution sometimes. Ultimately i thought the pro was better on my old 1080p TV with supersampling and boost mode than it has been with a newish 4K TV.

It's called the SP4Pro not the PS4K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I noticed pretty much zero difference between the standard PS4 and the Pro on my 4k TV but then my TV doesn't have HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It was never pitched as a true 4K console though, even by Sony who expalined how it works. Most people just see 4K and believe it.

The PS4 Pro does checkerboard 4K for most of the time it does 4K at all.
    I think onlt 1 game runs at true 4k on it.

You will have to wait till next gen for true 4K gaming, no console on the market is powerful enough to handle it at playable frame rates.

The Pro is mainly for increased frame rates at 1080p and 1440p at 30fps as you rightly say.

It doesnt even manage improved framerates all that much either in my experience,same CPU as base PS4 just overclocked. I just find it an underwhelming experience really. I found the benfits it does provide work much better on a 1080p TV.

The 1X does actually manage 4K reasonably well. Its more of a true upgrade over base consoles id say. In saying that i wouldnt buy one,it would be nice to have but theres no Xbox exclusives worth shelling for for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is Dragon Age Inquisition any use?
    See its on sale cheap and tempted to try as a fan of older Bioware games

Advertisement