Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear extension no planning needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LauraAaron

Hi 👋 I know this is an older thread but just wondering if someone could answer for me. We’re in the process of buying a run down semi detached house there is currently an extension to the rear with a flat roof which needs pulled down and a new extension built from scratch there is 0.6 acres of garden just wondering if the 40msq still stands to the new extension we will build. Thanks xx

• Subscribers Posts: 41,093 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LauraAaron wrote: »
    Hi 👋 I know this is an older thread but just wondering if someone could answer for me. We’re in the process of buying a run down semi detached house there is currently an extension to the rear with a flat roof which needs pulled down and a new extension built from scratch there is 0.6 acres of garden just wondering if the 40msq still stands to the new extension we will build. Thanks xx

Hi laura
    First off if the extension you are pulling down was constructed before oct 1965, it can be considered as part of the original house from a planning point of view. Therefore if you pull it down and build over the footprint it may be arguable that you can build this area, plus another 40sq m.

If the extension was post oct 1965 then this extension, plus any subsequent extension, cannot be more than 40sq m cumulatively.

If you pull this down, you can build 40sq m new.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LauraAaron

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hi laura
    First off if the extension you are pulling down was constructed before oct 1965, it can be considered as part of the original house from a planning point of view. Therefore if you pull it down and build over the footprint it may be arguable that you can build this area, plus another 40sq m.

If the extension was post oct 1965 then this extension, plus any subsequent extension, cannot be more than 40sq m cumulatively.

If you pull this down, you can build 40sq m new.

Thankyou so much I’m 99% sure it was built after 1965 xx

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

LauraAaron wrote: »
    Thankyou so much I’m 99% sure it was built after 1965 xx

Check the BER register. That'll give you the build date.

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Check the BER register. That'll give you the build date.

no it wont.

Age band D will give you a range between 1950 and 1966.

That means it makes no difference to the assessor whether they put in any year of construction between 1950 and 1966.

also, the evidential requirement for a BER assessor is a lot less than someone say, offering a cert of compliance. An Assessor can make a judgement call based on a visual inspection of the construction for example.

If someone is to give a cert of exemption, they would have to check planning maps in the local authority to see of the property has been included on the maps pre 1965, or if an application was made for the development subsequent to this year.

Trusting a BER certificate to have the right date of construction for any property pre 1994 is a dodgy decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no it wont.

Age band D will give you a range between 1950 and 1966.

That means it makes no difference to the assessor whether they put in any year of construction between 1950 and 1966.

also, the evidential requirement for a BER assessor is a lot less than someone say, offering a cert of compliance. An Assessor can make a judgement call based on a visual inspection of the construction for example.

If someone is to give a cert of exemption, they would have to check planning maps in the local authority to see of the property has been included on the maps pre 1965, or if an application was made for the development subsequent to this year.

Trusting a BER certificate to have the right date of construction for any property pre 1994 is a dodgy decision

Absolutely, I meant an indication of the construction date.

While on that, I understood assessors used the ESB connection date as the construction date. Is that no longer the case?

While on that, I understood assessors used the ESB connection date as the construction date. Is that no longer the case?

If it's possible to check the meter box and find the year on it, then yes that's a valid piece of evidence. However I've come across many examples where the meter has been changed / updated since first construction. While it's useful to validate a year of construction, sometimes you have to disregard it if it doesnt tally with the construction ie a 1990 meter on a solid concrete terrace house.
    There is a large scale upgrade of meters to smart meters occurring across the country as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The BER assessor May not be qualified to comment on construction date

Advertisement