Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruth Coppinger holds up thong in Dail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

For all those who say it is acceptable to bring up the womens underwear i have one question to ask:

If this is acceptable as a defence tactic do you think it is acceptable for the prosecution to say in court "The lady was wearing granny knickers on the night in question so the defendant must be guilty"?

I'd say if the defence say that a girl was coming over to a guys place with the intention of having sex and wore granny knickers, or didn't shave her legs, it would be fair to point to those things as indicators that she didn't intend to have sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

blue note wrote: »
    I'd say if the defence say that a girl was coming over to a guys place with the intention of having sex and wore granny knickers, or didn't shave her legs, it would be fair to point to those things as indicators that she didn't intend to have sex.

so if she was wearing them and then claimed she was raped that would make the man guilty?

Grayson wrote: »
    You're in Ireland, they're Hero Turtles here :)

And we know from this case that underwear can talk. And my bloomers say otherwise. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

What's this protest about treatment of victims in rape cases?

The man was found innocent, meaning the female wasn't a victim of anything.

Is she going face consequences for the false alegation?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

doylefe wrote: »

way to miss the whole point of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You've quoted that wrong Andrew.

Less than 2% of reported rapes end up in a conviction. But a majority of cases which go to court end up in a conviction. This says that as a victim it's incredibly difficult to get your case to court, but it's likely that you'll win.

That itself is shocking enough, but let's not mangle the numbers.

There's a clear problem with bringing rape complaints to court. And in fact, our conviction rates are very poor in comparison; 90%ish for rape versus 98%+ for other types of headline crime.

But let's get the numbers right before declaring where the problem lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's not what happened. He was found not guilty. That means there was not sufficent evidence to determine guilt. Trials don't actually ever say someone is innocent.

Now you can believe whatever you want regarding this trial, and I certainly don't know enough about it to be able to say if I think he's innocent or guilty. But the courts never declare anyone innocent. The jury returns two verdicts, Guilty or not guilty and not guilty does not mean innocent. It just means they can't find them guilty.

And they never determined that she made a false allegation, just that they didn't have enough evidence to find him guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Who said anything about innocence? He was found not guilty, which would imply there wasn't enough evidence to convict him of the offense. It doesn't mean it didn't happen. It doesn't mean he's innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Grayson wrote: »
    That's not what happened. He was found not guilty. That means there was not sufficent evidence to determine guilt. Trials don't actually ever say someone is innocent.

Now you can believe whatever you want regarding this trial, and I certainly don't know enough about it to be able to say if I think he's innocent or guilty. But the courts never declare anyone innocent. The jury returns two verdicts, Guilty or not guilty and not guilty does not mean innocent. It just means they can't find them guilty.

And they never determined that she made a false allegation, just that they didn't have enough evidence to find him guilty.
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    Who said anything about innocence? He was found not guilty, which would imply there wasn't enough evidence to convict him of the offense. It doesn't mean it didn't happen. It doesn't mean he's innocent.

We got there in the end. He's guilty regardless of the verdict. Not much debate possible in this case so. G'luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Still garbage. 2% of REPORTED rapes led to a conviction.

Did it enter your thoughts that perhaps, just perhaps the other 98% of REPORTS were just that ?

No actual crime committed ? Thought not.

Now the #IBelieveHer crowd have arrived and are making jokes to derail any criticism of their POV, I shall make my excuses and leave.

• Advertisement

Oh but it does.

Innocent till proven guilty. Not proven guilty, ergo innocent.

Though if some people on here have their way it will be innocent till proven male.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,040 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So, sexy underwear now qualifies as a Yes and people think we don't need to bother with consent awareness classes?

Just when you thought Ireland was becoming less socially conservative....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

JMNolan wrote: »
    We got there in the end. He's guilty regardless of the verdict. Not much debate possible in this case so. G'luck.

No one said anything about him being guilty. I don't care about him being guilty or not, its completely irrelevant. The barristers comments are what we are discussing, and are what people are outraged over.

And you also selectively replied there, because those replies are nothing without context.
    And the context was that someone was suggesting the girl should be charged with making false allegations, when it wasn't proven that she was lying. It was proven that there wasn't enough evidence to convict him.

Absolute shock horror that this thread is being twisted into being about something it isn't.

I don't care about him being guilty or not

As long as she's believed and he's locked up and ruined eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Idiotic. In fairness dumb posts like this are far from unique in this thread. It seems to attract stupidity, ignorance and crassness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

so if she was wearing them and then claimed she was raped that would make the man guilty?

Why are you being so black and white? It's a valid point and neither scenario 'proves' someone was raped or not, but it's contextual evidence that could be seen to lean more towards either claim.

Let's not lose sight of common logic in all this.

I have to say I am concerned about the 'there simply wasn't enough evidence to convict the guilty bastard' mindset that comes out in every rape case.

I have to say I am concerned about the 'there simply wasn't enough evidence to convict the guilty bastard' mindset that comes out in every rape case.

And you'd be right to - two collegues refer to both Ched Evans and Paddy Jackson as "rapists who got away with it".

Terrifying.

Oh but it does.

Innocent till proven guilty. Not proven guilty, ergo innocent.

Though if some people on here have their way it will be innocent till proven male.
    As long as she's believed and he's locked up and ruined eh ?

I know it would suit more people here to lament how awful the poor menfolk in Ireland have it, how they are continuously f*cked over by the evil women, every chance they get.

But that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about the disgusting comments made by the defendants barrister.

I genuinely don't care about the verdict. No one is outraged about the verdict. People are outraged at the comments.

JMNolan wrote: »

Did you read my post? I specifically said that I don't know enough to say if he's innocent or guilty. I merely pointed out that courts never declare people innocent. A court will only ever say if someone is guilty or not guilty. And that not guilty isn't the same as innocent. Not guilty means that the jury didn't have enough evidence to confict. That's in every single crime/court case. I'm saying that legally that's what the judgement means.

I'm also saying that the jury never determined that the woman who made the complaint is lying. They don't determine that. It's well beyond the scope of the trial. And him being found not guilty doesn't mean that she was lying. Not guilty just means that the jury didn't have enough reason to think he was guilty. That doesn't imply she was lying. I know nothing about the case so it's possible she was, but a not guilty verdict doesn't mean that she was. It means nothing of the sort. It makes absolutely no judgement on the veracity of her claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Now the #IBelieveHer crowd have arrived and are making jokes to derail any criticism of their POV, I shall make my excuses and leave.

And you are here doing what you usually do. Whatever that is, still haven’t figured it out yet.

• Advertisement

And again, I will repeat, the context of that remark was someone suggesting that the girl be charged for making false allegations against the defendant.
    It wasn't proven she was lying. That's what I was pointing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

There's a film that some people on this thread need to watch called 'Nymphomaniac'. Not to spoil it, but the main point being you can have all the sex you want, but that does not give anyone an entitlement to have sex with you.

Underwear cannot point to consent. You don't consent to sex, you consent to sex with someone. For example, if I put sexy underwear on because I know I'll be seeing my boyfriend, yet I am in work in the interim - does that give every man I come across during the day a right to have sex with me?

The notion that underwear can point to consent is ridiculous. It doesn't. The main issue in the majority of rape trials is the issue of consent, and the underwear you are wearing is wholly irrelevant to that point. Is it a 'worse' experience of rape if you're wearing granny pants?

Go to any rape crisis centre in Ireland and they'll dissuade you from reporting. The whole system in Ireland is a joke. What girl would want to go through a Court system where their underwear will be held up as evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

What. The actual. F,uck.

Hey just dispense with courts all together ya.

God help your dad, brother, nephew, friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

And you'd be right to - two collegues refer to both Ched Evans and Paddy Jackson as "rapists who got away with it".

Terrifying.

Chef Evans did - he never spoke with the woman

I know it would suit more people here to lament how awful the poor menfolk in Ireland have it, how they are continuously f*cked over by the evil women, every chance they get.

For your own sanity, stay away from many of the threads on the radio forum, that's where they hang out in groups, patting each other on their back, a circle jerk if you so wish, fighting the good fight against the wimmin fold with their feminine opinions.

What. The actual. F,uck.

Oh please. Enough of the hysteria and putting words in my mouth.

If I am wrong, please provide a link to exactly where it says the girl lied and made it all up, and that the defendant is innocent.

The verdict is irrelevant. Stop trying to make this about the verdict.

What. The actual. F,uck.

You have no understanding of our legal system, despite it pointed out several times on this thread.

Literally no-one is saying that. Read the posts. It's about the legal definition. Legally he wasn't found innocent. The jury don't say that he didn't do it, they say that they don't have enough evidence to convict. That goes for every single criminal case, for every crime, that goes before a jury in Ireland.

You say you're concerned that people are saying there's not enough evidence to conflict the guilty bastard when no-ones saying that at all. However it is worrying that despite the posts being quite clear in what they're saying, you read what you want into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 diceyriley

Just want ti throw this out there. If a girl wears a thong and gets raped. And the defence uses that as evidence she was up for it. Would we not be confident that our peers would look past that and see its ridiculous.

But should defences not have the freedom to use whatever they feel is evidence to clear a defendants name. To prohibit would be a clear injustice. My head is wrecked reading this thread. Ok its a ridiculous defence. But is it not a bit totalitarian to start saying what evidence may or may not be put to the court?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

No one said anything about him being guilty. I don't care about him being guilty or not, its completely irrelevant. The barristers comments are what we are discussing, and are what people are outraged over.

I'm unclear what the Dail is supposed to do about how barristers defend their clients in court?

Advertisement