Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruth Coppinger holds up thong in Dail

Options
1555657585961»

Comments

"my" wife and daughters.

Dig up, stupid.

jesus thats a ridiculous post

They’re clearly not immune from the full judgement of society, as this thread alone shows :pac:

It’s just that society generally doesn’t give a shìte about an issue unless as individuals they’re directly affected by it.

ah no i mean public beatings etc yknow the good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

"my" wife and daughters.

Dig up, stupid.

So what would be the appropriate language to use? "The" wife? Presumably you'd have a problem with that, as if he was calling them inanimate objects that were also his possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Dail privilege is not a reason to influence a criminal trial going on in the courts

Ms. Coppinger, like Mary Lou before her, doesn’t appear capable of grasping that very simple concept -

Ms McDonald, in an apparent reference to the case of former Irish Times journalist Tom Humphries, criticised the leniency of the sentence.

But Leas Cheann Comhairle Pat “The Cope” Gallagher intervened to remind her that under the standing orders of the Dáil, the House was not a judicial body and could not review or discuss court decisions or judgments.

When Ms McDonald continued to speak about the case Mr Gallagher warned her that she should be “general” in her comments.

The Sinn Féin deputy leader said victims of such crime “are left physically emotionally and mentally sick. Their childhoods are taken and despite the horrific nature of these crimes perpetrators receive very light sentences”.

She said “a recent high profile case has brought the judiciary into disrepute,” and added that “the public doesn’t trust the judicial system to deliver punishments to fit these crimes”.

Ms McDonald added: “These aren’t isolated cases. There is a very real problem with the sentences of perpetrators of rape and sexual abuse.”

And she said “Inconsistency, leniency and light sentences are common practice.”

This was a very grave deficiency within the system, she added.

Ms McDonald said a mechanism was needed to provide guidelines to ensure the Judiciary stuck to the range of sentencing provided for the category of offences. It would ensure consistency and accountability across the court system.”

The Leas Cheann Comhairle intervened again and told her that it was a long-standing ruling of the House that members of the Judiciary were independent in their function under the Constitution and could neither be criticised nor have their rulings referred to in the House.

Ms McDonald said everyone in the House appreciated the independence of the Judiciary and the separation of powers.

Judges can’t be trusted on sex crimes sentencing - Sinn Féin

Ms. McDonald is in no position to lecture anyone about kangaroo courts and the treatment of people who make a complaint of rape -

Mary Lou McDonald insists IRA members who interrogated alleged rape victim are "decent people"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

givyjoe wrote: »
    So what would be the appropriate language to use? "The" wife? Presumably you'd have a problem with that, as if he was calling them inanimate objects that were also his possession.
    jesus thats a ridiculous post
    Rennaws wrote: »
    Just so i'm sure...

are you suggesting using the word "my" is the problem ?
    Boggles wrote: »
    WTF? :confused:

It was tongue-in-cheek - the poster was so blatantly sexist in the previous posting that I did not need to prove any further basis for the sexism. The poster's argument against being sexist was essentially "I have a wife and daughter - how can I be sexist?". Hence, the joke was an ironic one whereby I appeared to be labelling him as sexist on a flimsy ground.

Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm not in the least bit sexist but sure work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

It was tongue-in-cheek - the poster was so blatantly sexist in the previous posting that I did not need to prove any further basis for the sexism. The poster's argument against being sexist was essentially "I have a wife and daughter - how can I be sexist?". Hence, the joke was an ironic one whereby I appeared to be labelling him as sexist on a flimsy ground.

Calm down princesses.

Wow.. just wow:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Calm down princesses.

Isn't calling men princesses as an insult, even if it is reversing sexism, actually quite sexist? As you are using perceived feminine characteristics to insult somebody even if it is to prove a point?

No judgement, but I am always curious about that mentality. It reminds me of insulting a perceived misogynistic male by implying that he has homosexual fantasies. And, it's like, dafuq. Isn't that two steps backward and one step forward?

@REnnaws

You didn't really help yourself with the whiny screechy women comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

givyjoe wrote: »
    "Her indoors" "the little woman" "the handbrake" are all terms of endearment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Calm down princesses.

To borrow a phrase.
    Dig up, stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

SusieBlue wrote: »
    How, please explain how an inanimate item of clothing can consent to ANYTHING on behalf of the person wearing it?

Clothing is worn by some people at some times to send signals.

Edgware wrote: »
    It is a Victorian attitude to mention the style of dress the alleged victim was wearing. ( I'm sure there are female barristers swanning around the courts with nice lingerie on underneath)

How do you know? have you been upskirting in the courts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Isn't calling men princesses as an insult, even if it is reversing sexism, actually quite sexist? As you are using perceived feminine characteristics to insult somebody even if it is to prove a point?

No judgement, but I am always curious about that mentality. It reminds me of insulting a perceived misogynistic male by implying that he has homosexual fantasies. And, it's like, dafuq. Isn't that two steps backward and one step forward?

@REnnaws

You didn't really help yourself with the whiny screechy women comment.

Of course it's sexist.

As you have pointed out, the whiny screechy comment betrayed a terribly sexist view and there is no hiding behind it. The fact I got leaped on for the tongue-in-cheek ""my wife!?", you sexist pig!" reply made me think there were other similarly sexist beasts waiting to be unleashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Of course it's sexist.

As you have pointed out, the whiny screechy comment betrayed a terribly sexist view and there is no hiding behind it. The fact I got leaped on for the tongue-in-cheek ""my wife!?", you sexist pig!" reply made me think there were other similarly sexist beasts waiting to be unleashed.

Jasis, talk about flogging a dead horse
    This is painful.
    Its over, it was a crap bon mot.
    Not in the least bit funny. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

4ensic15 wrote: »

‘Sending signals’ or not, it cannot give consent on behalf of the person wearing it.
    To suggest otherwise is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

How does a girl putting on her smalls several hours before an opportunity for sex might present itself, give consent to someone she hadnt met?

Does it give consent to everyman that happens accross her? Does it give consent to multiple men? At the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If they're a lollipop man, sure. Otherwise you're talking like a rape apologist.

How do you know? have you been upskirting in the courts?
    Aren't you the lad that has a mirror stuck to the toe cap of his shoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Of course it's sexist.

Poor Princess.

If you're explaining you're losing.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    Aren't you the lad that has a mirror stuck to the toe cap of his shoe?
    So that is how you do it.

So that is how you do it.
    No I just make sure the camera in the "ladies" is working. The mirror trick works well on the Luas though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Apart from having nothing to do with the thread, that's jumping the gun a bit isn't it?

Wouldn't you just let the police do their job and find out what they know when it's time to know? Saves making spurious assumptions about other men

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Original thread on that topic got locked due to speculation and a possible court case. Not sure this is a wise direction to go.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Nothing to do with this thread, and you posted pretty much the same thing in the Rugby forum.

Regardless, any speculation or trying to identify the accused and there will be cards/bans.

Advertisement