Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham November Meeting 16th-18th

Options
  • 12-11-2018 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

I'm flying over for this on Friday evening for BetVictor Day. Its a cracking meeting, not as wedged as the Festival so plenty of mobility even on Saturday. Good hot food selection from local suppliers to warm you up and the queues are not too bad. Hoping to catch the rugby in town before the train back to Birmingham that night.

As for finding a winner, I like the look of West Approach for Tizzard in the Gold Cup on Saturday. He has so far not delivered on his promising hurdle form (2nd to Wholestone and 3rd to Unowhatimeanharry at Cheltenham) but I think they've been running him over the wrong trip of 3m. He has won two chases only - from 2m3f to 2m5f and the BetVictor Gold Cup is over an extended 2m4f.
    At the October meeting, he ran over 3m and was bowling along in front and got tired turning for home. Tizzard is a trainer I have confidence in to deliver a horse for a big race and at 14/1, Ill be taking a bit ante-post in case he shortens on the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Dinnon for Gordon I’m the last on the Friday ? 11/4 course form and on a good run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

The favourite Rather Be for me in the BetVictor Gold Cup, been well backed into 6/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Kings socks is well handicapped and id expect him to win the betvictor if he runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I think Ballyandy is interesting enough off 137. Thought it was quite a good race he ran in last time and if he can improve the jumping I can't see how he won't be competitive off the mark. He is for sure a mid to late 140s horse at his best.
    20/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Looking forward to seeing Never Adapt run in the Juvenile race saturday if it’s not too dry. The 20/1 is worth snapping up as come March it will be 9/2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

For the BVGC i like Benatar having had a run and his JLT run isn’t looking too bad so far with Finians Oscar winning a Grade 1, Shattered Love making a decent return the other day and Modus won well on his return.

Benatar is well handicapped for sure. If he can settle early on and there’s a strong pace I think he’ll be bang in there at the finish.

Problem is he’s too keen and pulls hard early in a lot of his races.

Wide open race. Rather Be is my first choice but looks short now, benatar would be my second choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Five different posters and five different picks for the BVGC says it all really, stick a pin in the paper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Kemboy won the Clonmel Oil just now, paying a nice compliment to Benatar, who beat Kemboy by 2.5 lengths in the JLT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Five different posters and five different picks for the BVGC says it all really, stick a pin in the paper job.

I'll give you a 6th lol - fancy Baron Alco who runs off the same mark he did 18 months ago when 2nd to Road to Respect which looks very impressive now, very encouraging comeback run as well. The feared bounce factor my biggest concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

7. Mr. Whitaker, he’s trod a well worn path , I’d be shocked if he doesn’t hit the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

BumperD wrote: »
    7. Mr. Whitaker, he’s trod a well worn path , I’d be shocked if he doesn’t hit the frame.

Definitely agree, up 9 pounds since March which is a pity but expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cheltenham 1:15 - Vocaliser won three races over fences in short order last year and is now switched back to hurdles with a 5lb lower mark. Think 66/1 with 5 places is a monster price for this improver and while I am not sure its flat breeding will give it enough puff to win the race, I think it is overpriced and could place.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Barry Geraghty must be eating ice cubes to get down to 10-5 for Movewiththetimes in the BVGC. He wouldn't starve himself for nothing. I might have a saver on him but sticking with West Approach.

I'd love to see Coneygree show some of his old form too in the 1350 tomorrow.

The Young Master is some admirable horse. Not at his best last few seasons. He just wants to win.
    One mistake at the second last. Absolutely powered to the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

2ndcoming wrote: »

Make that 8

Going for Kalondra

Tiger Roll is the biggest drifter off the day, he won’t be winning. Like Josie orders myself

I didnt have a bet on it but Peter Fahey has a decent record in these x-country races. Bay of Freedom is an interesting one over this type of test for the first time after being out of form for a few years.

Stopped betting in this type of race a few years ago. I always feel the top of the market is overbet but then the ones in behind are so inconsistent that invariably not much from the outsiders ever get involved. The market just confuses the heck out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

For tomorrow, the race to watch is the handicap imo. I'm going to have a big bet on SingleFarmPayment - I think he will finally manage to win one of these things at this track. His mark is super attractive. I'm gonna have quite a large e/w bet on him. Hills are paying 6 places! Aside from SingleFarmPayment, I think Virgilio is a likely winner but his mark is just a bit too hefty for me but his close 3rd in the Charlie Hall was impressive. He's definitely a horse in form.

I don't have much interest in the gold cup, seems too tough to crack. If I was to take a bet it'd be Mister Whitaker or Baron Alco. I think Mr Whitaker is going to shape into a very nice horse indeed. I reckon he has come on a lot since last year and the weight factor Vs Rather Be is not an issue. Baron Alco is a very interesting one. Lost on his return to Charbel by a head but hard to know exactly how decent Charbel is going. He is a classy horse for a small fella though, 10/1 and paying 6 places is very attractive. Think I've talked myself into backing him so there's dart thrown at the race in here!

FatRat wrote: »
    For tomorrow, the race to watch is the handicap imo. I'm going to have a big bet on SingleFarmPayment - I think he will finally manage to win one of these things at this track. His mark is super attractive. I'm gonna have quite a large e/w bet on him. Hills are paying 6 places! Aside from SingleFarmPayment, I think Virgilio is a likely winner but his mark is just a bit too hefty for me but his close 3rd in the Charlie Hall was impressive. He's definitely a horse in form.

I don't have much interest in the gold cup, seems too tough to crack. If I was to take a bet it'd be Mister Whitaker or Baron Alco. I think Mr Whitaker is going to shape into a very nice horse indeed. I reckon he has come on a lot since last year and the weight factor Vs Rather Be is not an issue. Baron Alco is a very interesting one. Lost on his return to Charbel by a head but hard to know exactly how decent Charbel is going. He is a classy horse for a small fella though, 10/1 and paying 6 places is very attractive. Think I've talked myself into backing him so there's dart thrown at the race in here!

The Gold Cup is a handicap as well, in fact all 4 races on ITV are handicaps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

9 for that race now. ( it may be one of the best handicaps i've seen in years)

2:25 Cheltenham

When I first looked at this race I thought I had found one of the bets of the season already. On subsequent looks in reality this is one of the best handicaps I’ve seen in a number of years. I’ll still go with my selection for this all week Romain De Senam. He was 5th in this last year on probably unsuitable soft ground of 7lbs higher. He has 2 runs already this season which should set him right for this and I would have him quite short to place here. The 7 places in paddy is huge value for this horse in particular.

2 Points EW 28/1 7 places Paddy Power

Pogue eile wrote: »
    The Gold Cup is a handicap as well, in fact all 4 races on ITV are handicaps!

Oh wow I hadn't realised. I mustn't have a clue. Is that seriously all you took from my post? Was hoping for some critique but this is the type of reply out can expect on boards these days I guess.

Obviously I know they're handicaps but the official name for that race is the betvictor handicap chase. As opposed to betvictor gold cup. Doesn't take a genius to know what handicap I'm referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

aidankkk wrote: »
    9 for that race now. ( it may be one of the best handicaps i've seen in years)

2:25 Cheltenham

When I first looked at this race I thought I had found one of the bets of the season already. On subsequent looks in reality this is one of the best handicaps I’ve seen in a number of years. I’ll still go with my selection for this all week Romain De Senam. He was 5th in this last year on probably unsuitable soft ground of 7lbs higher. He has 2 runs already this season which should set him right for this and I would have him quite short to place here. The 7 places in paddy is huge value for this horse in particular.

2 Points EW 28/1 7 places Paddy Power
    On the same offer as yourself, but I took Ballyandy. Still only 7 years old, a Cheltenham champion bumper winner, off the lowest mark it has been since it won last, it has a fine chance.

Speaking of handicaps, I see Coneygree is out, which surprises me a little. Would be shocked if tomorrow is the target. Where does it go people?

Oh wow I hadn't realised. I mustn't have a clue. Is that seriously all you took from my post? Was hoping for some critique but this is the type of reply out can expect on boards these days I guess.

Obviously I know they're handicaps but the official name for that race is the betvictor handicap chase. As opposed to betvictor gold cup. Doesn't take a genius to know what handicap I'm referring to.

Ok precious when you you untie your knickers where did I say you hadnt a clue? Merely pointing out that all the televised races are handicaps, which is a fact and you can take it or leave it for all I care.

You seem to have an esteem issue so I will indulge you a little, I couldnt agree more with your analysis of the Gold Cup and I have all ready put up Baron Alco as my selection and I have backed Mister Whittaker for the Ryanair at fancy prices.

With regard to SFP I really think he is a cliff horse at this stage, he has only one chase win from 11 and that was off a mark of 133, so no 146 is not a super attractive mark. Yes he will probably win one of these someday but at the prices I cant go with him again, he will most likely shape like hes going to win at some stage, if you are into the exchanges he is a great back to lay proposition ( Kings Socks similar in the GC). Vicente is the one I want to keep onside for this, course form, meeting form, Coneygree keeping the weights down for him, still only 9 and running from the 'Saturday' stable. Only concern is he seems to have forgotten how to win, but I think this will be run to suit, he stays all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭ON ZEE BRIDLE

Why is there always such childish bickering on this forum.

Why is there always such childish bickering on this forum.

Did you see anyting in my first post to take offence form?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

That never adapt horse looked insane but really talented, I'll be backing her at Cheltenham in March I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Jesus man, relax.

Kalondra for me in the Gold cup

Thought he was taking a dig for some reason. Overreacted alright to say the least. Too used to it in Boards I guess.

Baron Alco by 10 so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

We$t Approach

Advertisement