Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Secretary Dept Foreign Affairs - anyone through to video interview?

Options
  • 12-11-2018 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there, don't think there's a thread on this already, so said I'd start one.

Has anyone applied for this? I've had confirmation that I'm through to the video interview, taking place this week. Never done one before, so wondering if anyone else in the same boat? Am private sector, with no public or foreign policy experience, but plenty of management and policy development experience in my current role. Not entirely sure how I position this for the third question, which specifically references foreign policy expertise, or "interest" in. Am plenty interested in this, specifically Brexit, but anyone can say that - not sure how to give it meaning!

Anyway, just a shout-out to see if there's anyone else in the same boat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adwickham

I'm also through to the video interview stage. Does anyone know if you get a break in between recording answers to the 3 questions? I want to see if I have time to catch my breath/look over my prompts between each response. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Beanzy

@adwickham, I have no idea... I presume so. Am I losing it or did we get an email with the 3 questions? I remember seeing something, and now I'm looking on my PublicJobs message board and my emails, and can't find anything...

When are you planning to do yours?

ETA, found the questions! In the first email confirming I was through to this round.

Good luck to all!

I completed my responses this afternoon. I can confirm you can take a break between each of the responses so you can take a look back over notes before each one. Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Starblue

adwickham wrote: »
    I completed my responses this afternoon. I can confirm you can take a break between each of the responses so you can take a look back over notes before each one. Good luck all.

Oh that’s great to know, thank you. Good luck with your app!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LKBeenit

I hope to complete my video interview on Thursday evening. Having to try and condense my responses to 3 minutes is proving difficult! Good luck to all

• Advertisement

Wel, I did mine on Thursday. You wouldn't think 3 x 3 minute answers could take so much prep, thought, condensing, practising etc. The questions were hard to condense into 3 minute replies, with a single example, given how diverse a range of areas they covered. The middle question I ended up finished replying with 10-12 seconds to go, so just smiled like a demented fool at the camera until the time elapsed.

We shall see. No idea how they prune down further using this method, but hey-ho.

Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Starblue

Yeah it was harder than I thought it would be to chatter away without any responses or interaction and I definitely left out stuff! Be good to get the feedback anyway whatever happens. I wonder how long we’ll be waiting, they shortlisted really fast

Does anyone know how many were shortlisted?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PublicBen

LKBeenit wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many were shortlisted?

Publicjobs won’t release stats while a campaign is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Natalie_B

Does anyone have any idea how long it will be before results of the video interviews are out?

• Advertisement

Natalie_B wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea how long it will be before results of the video interviews are out?

Out today.

How did everyone do? I am through

Me too!

I didn’t get through. Well done to those that did.

I’m going to look for feedback to see where I went (not that I’m contesting the decision btw). Just learning going forward. Thought I had done enough to pass - obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Me three, kind of!. I passed the interview but am just outside the batch being called forward, so if there's a second batch, I'll be in the running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ballyguff

Well done to those who got through. Do you know yet what the next round is and when/where it will take place?

Does anyone have any thoughts/insights into how likely they are to call a second or third round?

Message says 'I refer to your recent video interview for the above competition. In conducting Stage 2 of the selection process, 3 boards were convened to assess candidates with the top 60 candidates progressing to the next stage of the selection process. As you are one of these candidates, you are now invited to attend Stage 3 - Final Interview.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ballyguff

Message says 'I refer to your recent video interview for the above competition. In conducting Stage 2 of the selection process, 3 boards were convened to assess candidates with the top 60 candidates progressing to the next stage of the selection process. As you are one of these candidates, you are now invited to attend Stage 3 - Final Interview.'

Did it give dates for the interview?

Yes, in December

Mine is January. I got the same message as LKBeenit. Have you all indicated Dublin only on your applications? I put Limerick, but the division based there (Irish Aid) would be smaller than the actual DFAT in Dublin, so not sure what the chances are of vacancies actually becoming free there.

Anyone else apply for Limerick?

• Advertisement

Beanzy wrote: »
    Mine is January. I got the same message as LKBeenit. Have you all indicated Dublin only on your applications? I put Limerick, but the division based there (Irish Aid) would be smaller than the actual DFAT in Dublin, so not sure what the chances are of vacancies actually becoming free there.

Anyone else apply for Limerick?

I applied just for Dublin

Did those doing December interviews get the familiarisation materials yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 18SpookyBooks

I hope everyone got on well 🀞ðŸ»

Anyone any idea when we will get results?

I hope everyone got on well ��ðŸ»

Anyone any idea when we will get results?

I'm hoping it will be this week

• Registered Users Posts: 12 18SpookyBooks

I gave in and rang them yesterday - they are processing results now, will definitely issue this week
    I'm hoping it will be this week

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Results out!

Well, how did people do? I have been placed on the panel. Does anyone have any info on how many they will be appointing? Also, will I be informed when or if I am in clearance? I'm new to this process so thanks!

Panelled but very high so doubt it will get to me. Bittersweet! Has anyone heard how many they estimate will be needed?

fi314 wrote: »
    Panelled but very high so doubt it will get to me. Bittersweet! Has anyone heard how many they estimate will be needed?[/QUO

I am in early 20s on open comp - is that too high to be called do you think?

• Advertisement

Yeah I am late 20's on the open. They just promoted 15 internally so I wasn't hopeful they would need so many more. I wonder how many they panelled in total? Has anyone got feedback?

Advertisement