Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiSTer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone putting a few quid aside for a MARS preorder whenever it's announced?

I think I might go for it. I've been meaning to put another MiSTer together for months anyway so it would be great to get one of these instead, put it in my horizontal cabinet for all the nice new cores and then stick my MiSTercade in my vertical cabinet which pretty much has all the shmups I want on it now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

It's still a wee bit in the wind, but like the MiST and MiSTer before it, it all depends on the community surrounding it, and it sounds like it has strong support. The porting of the current MiSTer cores on day one is a strong opener.

The more substantive it becomes, the stronger that support becomes. Think the first actual live demonstration of it will be at an event in Florida later in the month which will obviously find its way online then.

The MiSTer already does so many things well, that a new, more powerful platform with that existing support is an attractive proposition (I'd love to see the 486 core get a bump in speed), but then others would say, sure the MiSTer already does what I want it do, not to mention that higher level FPGA implementation could be problematic for community development, even with some of the fine work over the last couple years.

Personally, if I like what I see, I'd certainly be onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

One for Mistercade users: https://github.com/misteraddons/mistercade_mappings

Automated input mappings via Update_All

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I don't think I'll be a day one adopter, but yeah, it's likely if their claims and suggestions come to fruition, I'll likely buy into it sooner rather than later. Analogue out with increased ram, more complex cores, snac pods for controllers, it all sounds brilliant. Normally I'd be sceptical of such grandiose claims, but there's some really well known community figures behind the scenes, so I'm cautiously optimistic it'll deliver on its promises. Hopefully supply levels will remain balanced, and it's not unobtainium.

Master of the Universe

Well that works an absolute treat. Annoyingly it did reconfigure the OSD menu shortcut to player 1 button 1&6 (an absolute nightmare for fighting games) - took me longer than I'd like to admit to get it fixed 😅

Interested in seeing how it holds up now as I work my way through different games. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm hoping they have a unit more geared towards arcade machines that's perhaps a bit more barebones case wise but with JAMMA rather than all those controller ports. As nifty as they are, I wouldn't really have much of a use for them.

• Advertisement

Yeah it'd seem an obvious sales win, to have a consolised version and a cab based version of it. Having a fancy consolised unit living unseen inside a cab seems a waste. Jamma connectivity then makes a ton more sense for such users yeah.

As for using the consolised version, simple, unplug all the OG machines, and leave them to live out their retirement from the comfort of a shelf 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I did it, I bought something I already sold. Feck it I’ll give it one more go. Hopefully they have a mistercade in stock soon as I’m not flucking around with any of the other nonsense ones again 🤣

Post edited by CathalDublin on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Conkers and GoldenEye are now working in the N64 core!

Did anyone try messing about with CD32 and Minimig? Seems to work well for the games that are compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Have been checking out a new core released called GroovyMister. It lets you output MAME to mister from *any* PC/laptop and bypasses the built in graphics card.

You no longer need a dedicated Groovymame PC with an ATI card + test mode enabled + the hacked drivers installed to use groovymame.

GroovyMAME software outputs the video over the network to the GroovyMister core and the mister then outputs to the CRT.

3ms latency measured (0.18% of a frame). Insane!

GroovyMister core: https://github.com/psakhis/Groovy_MiSTer

GroovyMAME software compatible with GroovyMister: https://github.com/antonioginer/GroovyMAME/releases

Instructions: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,168163.0.html

Videos (not mine):

Street Fighter 3 from a laptop to mister on an arcade cab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWCHnJPml68

likewise for IGS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpUSyN1Wt6Q

For me I'll probably stick to the regular GroovyMAME and ATI cards as I already have several dedicated PC's with ATI r9380x cards installed in all cabs (Plus I can play non-MAME emulators in them like Flycast, SuperModel, 2 and teknoparrot) But GroovyMister is great for CRT/cab people that want to use a laptop or micro PC with their mister to play the full MAME library right now.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That's a really cool idea, almost like Stadia for your MiSTer.

I do really like arcade machines being totally standalone items but will definitely check this out for some beefier games.

Haven't really followed MAME in years, how far are we as far as emulation goes? Any chance of me now suddenly being able to play Scud Race? 😁

I'd be the same, I'm not mad about devices being tethered or being reliant on a network....but the difference here is it opens up a TON of games that have no mister core. So yeah, definitely something I'll explore myself at some stage.

Re MAME, yeah there's always developments happening. Not sure about scud race and the bigger Sega model games, but model 1 got some love over the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

This makes it possible to play NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat I guess?

MAME is still flying along. They added advanced Konami hornet hardware support last week (Thrill Drive 2 etc).

Scud race is one of one of my favourites and gets a lot of play time in the driving cab! It's emulated in MAME but is preliminary and needs an absolute unit of a PC to run full speed. Best to use supermodel for model 3 stuff.

If you are playing it on an actual arcade cabinet with the original scud race medium res or tri-sync CRT monitor then add the 496x384 desktop resolution using vmmaker then set the Supermodel.ini to

XResolution=496

YResolution=384

New3DEngine=1

FullScreen=1

WideScreen=0

Stretch=0

VSync=1

Then it looks absolutely arcade perfect at the original resolution.

Master of the Universe

I got home last night all excited to try out GroovyMiSTer - sat down with my laptop and realised I hadn't a bean how to even start!

Step 1 was just getting GroovyMAME up and going. Downloaded the latest build of it but it didn't want to play nicely with any of my romsets at all.

To be fair, the romsets I use are probably at least a decade or older as I haven't really bothered updating them.

So I am currently in the process of trying to download the latest MAME Romset. We'll see how that goes..!

I then thought I'd give the NGP beta core a go on my Analogue pocket and absolutely failed at that too.

Seems I've become way too reliant on the Update_all script and have lost all ability to do anything else 😂

I'm half thinking of getting a wireless controller(s) for use with my Mister. What are people generally using that isn't noticeably laggy etc?

Master of the Universe

Here are the ones I'm using at the mo with original consoles.

Retrobit on the left, 8bitdo on the right. Honestly you'll have a good time with any of them! Build quality is great and I haven't noticed any lag at all.

Cheers man, looks like a grand little setup. Obviously each brand has its own receiver yeah? And does say the 8bitdo receiver work with all of the 8bitdo controllers or do they need individual receivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky but 2 of my retrobit ones have already died due to bad batteries.

No problems with any of the 8bitdo ones.

Master of the Universe

Interestingly some of 8bitdos are 2.4ghz wireless and some are Bluetooth.

I believe 2.4ghz is meant to perform slightly better. The Megadrive 8bitdo on the bottom right is 2.4ghz and it's my favourite so perhaps that plays into it. Saying that, the D pad has gotten a little squeaky.

I wouldn't really know too much about receiver compatibility as I'm just using them with consoles, so they just automatically connect to their own receiver when the console boots. I did actually once give the 8bitdo snes pad a go with the MiSTer and it did work great. Hooked it up for a third player in Alien Versus Predator so I was able to have two people playing on the cabinet and then a third behind with the controller. Kind of a neat solution for multiplayer arcade cab play!

So yeah I'd say just nab an 8bitdo of your choice and see how you get on. The NES and SNES ones are highly authentic to the original experience if that's your kinda thing.

Oh no! The 8bitdos feel a bit more solid and I do reckon they're a bit better made alright. Saying that, I do really like the feel of the Retrobit pads, particularly the D pad on the Saturn one.

Didn't consider batteries at all though. I looked up when I bought that NES30 8bitdo and it was back in 2014 believe it or not, battery is still going strong!

• Advertisement

Can't go wrong with the 8bitdo 2.4GHz controllers. Like O1s1n, I use a variety of their controllers with original and Analogue consoles. The M30 (bottom right above) is the dog's nuts IMO. Retrobit's Saturn controller is pretty good as well.....plus they have the Pro model doing the rounds soon. You certainly want to be using either wired or 2.4GHz models over BT to better maintain levels of input latency if that bothers you.

For the MiSTer though.......when not messing with SNACs etc, I tend to use a one of their Ultimate Bluetooth controllers on one of the setups and can't see myself changing anytime soon. Supports both 2.4GHz and Bluetooth, and generally comes across as a culmination of lessons learned from what they've produced up to now. There is a 2.4GHz only model for slightly cheaper as well. Covers most cores fine, but like to switch over to a wired competition pro for the computers, or an arcade stick for arcade sessions.

Master of the Universe

The M30 really is great isn't it? It's what sold me on the whole wireless experience.

Have you noticed your D pad going a bit off at all? Perhaps it's just down to the amount Ive been using mine, use it all the time with my Megadrive. Must pop it open and take a look.

Hadn't seen that ultimate Bluetooth controller, looks great. How's the D pad on it? I've been using an Xbox1 controller paired with my PS1 and PS2 retro receivers but the D pad is awful.

Aye. Love the M30. Think the D-pad is fine, but I did pick up a couple more of them early last year (had to get them from Amazon US as the original 2.4 console models are like hen's teeth over this side of the pond nowadays) and I mostly been using those ones (they added USB-C so little more handy to have charged when need be), but still use the old one bought years back every now and then on PC. Seems OK, broken in so to speak, but performs well. Very much a fitting replacement for the originals. Haven't seen one of Retrobit's Big6 pads which some people say are quite good imitations of the larger pads we had way back when, but they're another option out there.

The Ultimate ones are like the fancy versions of the Pro and Pro 2 models. Comes with a nice charging dock as well, but the 2.4GHz function is what sold it for me on the MiSTer. I'd say the D-Pad feels a bit like the one on their NES ones but ever so slightly larger. Firm but accurate. Maybe not as much travel as a Switch Pro controller or their Pro models, but feels like it registers better. TBH, it's probably overkill for a MiSTer, in that it can probably compete with the first-party options, adding in hall-effect analogue sticks in a generally comparable price level.

8bitdo have been at it a while, but TBF they're not high volume cheap and nasty products that one may imagine being pumped out over in the East and chucked into every Raspberry Pi bundle. One last plug for them, their mechanical keyboard is a wonderful option for a MiSTer setup. Feels great when running 8 and 16bit computer stuff, as long as you don't need a keypad it's a daily driver.

Thanks chaps. I'm looking at these 8bitdo options, and am a bit confused. There's obviously bluetooth options, and there's 2.4g options. I'm leaning towards 2.4g versions, but they don't seem to sell any 2.4g models that come with USB receivers (unless I'm mistaken!). Can you buy the 2.4g receivers separately, with a view to picking up models that are designed for use on the original consoles (2.4g versions)?

Aye....it's a wee bit confusing with the amount of stuff they turn out, but in general what's in each section of their home page is fairly on the nose with what they consider available stock worldwide, but you sometimes might see Aliexpress selling a variant with, say, original Mega Drive adapter as opposed to USB so feck knows what would show up at your door.

The 2.4GHz controllers all use dedicated adapters paired with the controller in the package, much the same as Logitech used to do etc. If you're looking for a MiSTer option (no SNAC stuff etc), you're using USB so your options cut a little. I don't believe they sell a single unifying 2.4GHz adapter, at least not any more, so any of the USB adapters you see on their homepage are all for Bluetooth 8bitdo pads and modern controllers. Don't think there's a way to mix and match and pair up different 2.4 adapters, again like Logitech can via software, but I could be mistaken. Just never looked into it.

The likes of the M30 (linked) and PCE 2.4 controllers with USB for the Minis apparently work on the MiSTer, but I've not got one of the M30 Mini ones so can't say. Do have PCE ones for the Duo, but theyre now on a separate firmware so cant use the dongles to try them out. The NeoGeo and the Ultimates all come with 2.4Ghz adapters as well as being Bluetooth (bar the 2.4 only Ultimate). The likes of their Arcade Stick, NES and Xbox variants, also come with 2.4 support and work on MiSTers.

Retrobit in the past bundled both USB and original adapter options for the likes of their excellent Saturn pad, and I believe they do with the Big 6 Mega Drive. Might be worth checking out if it works with the MiSTer.

Not sure how well this is maintained or accurate anymore, but may give an indication of what's working well

Thanks a lot for that, definitely helpful. From limited research, and even though 8bitdo themselves say it doesn't work, it seems you CAN pair 2.4g controllers to any of the 2.4g receivers. I'll take a gamble some and see what happens!

All you can do boss 👍

FWIW....I do recall using one of their older Pro 2 controllers on a MiSTer before. Was under the impression it was a 2.4 at the time I bought it only to find out after it was limited to BT. It was fine TBH, I mean it's not like we're not using BT on other platforms, but obviously 2.4 is more desirable with its more consistent level of latency. Think that yoke moved to one of the Switches in the house. Just wanted to keep 2.4 on all the wireless options for retro stuff.

Sega Model 3 (super model) now supports groovymister

Very nice.

When the time comes, I'm now not sure of which way to go for arcade emulation on CRT:

Modern PC with x2 GPU's (modern GPU to do the rendering, and older AMD GPU to handling output at 15Khz)

Or

Modern PC with single GPU outputting to Groovymister

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Just bought one of these lads, a new all in one Sega controller SNAC adapter. (rather than needing a SNAC board and an individual console controller adapter)

Finally get to try out the lightgun with the Sega core. I wonder actually can you use two lightguns given the second one actually chains off the first one rather than going into a controller port? We shall see.

Advertisement